Start by marking “The Runaway” as Want to Read:
The Runaway

Read eBook* *Different edition

The Runaway

Paperback, 3d, 350 pages
Published September 28th 2015 by Penner Publishing (first published May 29th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Runaway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Runaway

Brandi Nyborg
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
How are a tough old woman, a runaway, a cop, and an abusive, controlling homeless man connected? You'll find out in this book. This book is fast paced, and will completely hold your attention the entire time. You can really connect emotionally with most of the characters. It can be a hard read at times, but will also make you shed a few tears. This is a great book!
Mary Barrett
Nov 15, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1 star

This was purely my reaction to: "Jeffery 1986-1991 " I worked the Juvenile section as a peace officer in a large city in Texas for 12 years. During that time I handled many runaway cases as well as sexual abuse cases against juveniles ( which usually involved Step-Fathers, Father's and once a Grandfather... Having had to deal with that I my career, there is no way that I can force myself to read about it in a book! This very well may be a well written book but as soon as I got to the inces
Jessyca Garcia
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I thought “The Runaway” by Jo Barney was a good book. The story follows the lives of several different characters all connected in some way. The two main ones are Ellie and Sarah. Ellie is a tough, older woman who is obsessed with cleaning graffiti. Sarah is a homeless, runaway teenager whose life is in danger. These two women must learn to trust each other in order to survive each other’s pasts.

When reading “The Runaway” the reader has to make sure to pay attention to the title and year of each
Margaret Millmore
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In the beginning of this tale, the author introduces you to a great many characters: a broken old woman, the old woman’s son, a lost young runaway, a policeman with an autistic son (whose wife/mother left them), a young male prostitute (also a runaway) and a few other miscellaneous characters…but how do they all tie together?

Ms. Barney weaves an intricate tale of desperation, loneliness, abuse and eventually salvation that takes the reader through the complicated, yet interwoven lives of several
Pamela Scott
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jo-barney, first-read
I was given a free copy by the author in exchange for an honest review.

The Runaway is a brilliant book. I cannot compliment it enough. The book has multiple narrators and the chapter alternate between the viewpoints of each one. I really enjoyed this and thought it worked really well. The chapter title states the character and year(s) so there’s no chance in getting confused. This structure helps to create a vivid picture of the past and present of each character and how the little narrative thr
Linda Thompson
After reading the first few pages, I wasn’t sure what I was getting myself into; so many different, yet important, characters to keep track of. And then there was the story itself about a down and out old woman and a troubled young girl. Once I figured out who was who, and how they all fit together, I couldn’t put this book down. Jo Barney is a masterful story teller, but like no other I’ve ever read. She creates scenes of the rough, raw and gritty side of life and weaves them into other scenes ...more
Laura Prime
I found this book quite intricate but frustrating, I found myself having to go back chapters to understand what was going on.
A few things stuck with me though, like the loneliness and mixed up lives of all the characters. Wondering what they had in common and were they related.
I have never read a book with so many 1st person lead characters and it quite confused me.
That said the characters were strong and well established and I could picture each one.
The cleaning of the graffiti stuck with me to
Paula
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Thanks to Librarything for a free copy of The Runaway. I like Jo Barney's style of writing. This the second book of hers that I've read. Previously, I read Never Too Late and thought that this novel would be along the same lines. I wasn't prepared for the violence and sexual abuse that was vividly described. I had a hard time getting through this book for that reason. Although the writing and plot were good, I could only give it 2 stars.
Carol
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Barney delves into the lives of street kids. If you read superficially, you read a story of broken lives, serial murder, drugs and alcohol; but if you read analytically, you see what poor parenting, lack of leadership, and self denial can do to one's success. Barney writes from a basis of knowledge and research that should be taken seriously by innocent bystanders as well as City leaders.
FrumpBurger
Sep 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-books
Review book. Not exactly my cup o' tea, but well-written. I felt that trauma and drama and horror that existed in the lives of EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER was a bit heavy handed at times (nobody's life is perfect, but, damn, everyone in this book has SUFFERED), but overall it was well-written and has a nice moral of redemption.
Dottie Gariti
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Different premise but a very quick read.
Patricia
Nov 03, 2018
Louise Crane
Jan 28, 2017
Jo Barney
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Paula Alles
Sep 26, 2018
Lynn Geth
Dec 26, 2018
Nancy Hilbrick
Unusual characters; but lovable. I liked the format of the story, and a generally happy ending.
Babette