Start by marking “The Goodbye Ride” as Want to Read:

Read Excerpt

The Goodbye Ride

Olivia Murphy is a woman on a mission. The Ducati motorbike that once belonged to her brother has come up for re-sale. Liv wants to buy the precious bike, and she wants the ink dry on the paperwork before the approaching holiday weekend, when visitors with fat wallets will descend on her tourist-mecca hometown.
Only one person stands in her way.
Owen Carson likes rare and
ebook
Published May 23rd 2013 by Lily Malone (first published May 17th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Goodbye Ride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Goodbye Ride

Sharon
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Olivia Murphy has her heart set on buying back her brother's Ducati motorbike. She has been saving up for quite some time and is looking forward to getting the bike back as it means a lot to her. Dean Lang is owner of it and is selling it as he needs the money for a holiday. Once Liv arrives at Deans house it seems she is faced with competition.

Owen Carson has returned from working in Antarctica and he to wants to buy the motorbike and is willing to pay more than Liv can afford. She tries to ta
Jenny
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Goodbye Ride is about saying goodbye and moving on after a loved one dies. Olivia Murphy saw in the local paper her brother's Bike a Ducati Pantah 650. However, when Olivia got there with the money, the bike was sold to Owen Carson. The loss of the motorcycle was devastating to Olivia Murphy. The readers of The Goodbye Ride will continue to follow Owen Carson and Olivia Murphy to see what happens to the bike.

The Goodbye Ride is a lovely sweet romance, and I enjoyed reading it. I like the way
Brenda
Olivia Murphy was heading over to a house in her suburb of Hahndorf in the Adelaide Hills, with the deposit she had saved to buy the classic Ducati motorbike which had once belonged to her brother, Luke. She was given first option on it when it went up for sale, and she was determined to have it. But as she was arriving at the house, a hot ute with an even hotter driver was also pulling up…in her haste to get there first, she fell, ending up on her backside with the contents of her handbag strew ...more
Musing
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! I would normally never start a review with that, however, that is how I feel about talented Australian writer Lily Malone's The Goodbye Ride .

It's a novella based in South Australia, so if this is a place you thought you would like to visit, Malone's beautiful descriptive prose, might further entice you. Not only are the environs picturesque in The Goodbye Ride, but the narrative is equally rich in passion and depth of storyline.

What it lacks in length, it makes up in intens
Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm

Olivia only wanted to buy back his brother's Ducati motorbike to say a proper goodbye to him. The day she was able to shelve enough money to get the bike, was the day she fell on Owen Carson's feet and lost the bike to him.

Astounded by Liv's carefree and wild attitude, Owen offered to sell back the bike at a lower price, if she could help him prune his Aunt's grape vines. There's something about her that mystified him, that only the cold wind of Antarctica could defrost. Shocked by the
Monique Mulligan
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was offered the chance to review The Goodbye Ride early and despite author Lily Malone's nail-biting wait for a thumbs-up, she need not have worried. I enjoyed it! Blue Eyes and I married in a vineyard, so a romance set in one of Australia's best-known wine growing regions, the lovely Barossa Valley, had immediate appeal.

Short, sweet and a little bit spicy, The Goodbye Ride is a novella that takes place over a few days. The two protagonists, Olivia and Owen, meet at the start and sparks fly.
Renee
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, read-2016, australian
It must have been fate that I picked this up to read over The Queen's Birthday long weekend because it was set over The Queen's Birthday long weekend. I enjoyed being taken back to the quaint German themed town of Handorf in the Adelaide Hills, where I went on a family holiday last year (in September - June was too cold for us).

Just like a Ducati, this romance novella went from sweet to raunchy in under three seconds. It handled the ups and downs of the Adelaide Hills perfectly, and pulled up to
Jacqui Carling-Rodgers
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
A beloved motorcycle - the Ducati Pantah 650 - is the centrepiece of Lily Malone's The Goodbye Ride.

The story is set in the luscious grape-growing region of South Australia, the location of Lily's debut, His Brand of Beautiful, released earlier this year.

The story tells of young viticulturist Liv's opportunity to say one last goodbye to her brother, killed three years previously in a traffic accident (not involving the bike).

As a fitting tribute, she intends to buy back her brother's bike and g
Sarah Belle
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Goodbye Ride is one of my favourite reads. Some novellas can leave me feeling a little short changed in relation to the depth of the characters and execution of the plot. It's harder for an author to capture the essence of a story and its characters within the word limit of a novella, but Lily Malone has nailed this well and truly.

Lily creates real people in her books, not just characters. This is my second Lily Malone book (Fairway to Heaven being my first), and I have to say that with both
Cate Ellink
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Goodbye Ride is a novella and the romance takes place over 5 days - so it's quick ... and beautiful.

Olivia has had a bad few years but has plans for the June long weekend to be the turning point towards a better future - except she was planning a small change, however life serves her up major changes, all lumped together.

Owen is a hero with muscles, caveman muscles shown off by few clothes, but he's incredibly sweet. A perfect hero combination.

Lily Malone has some fantastic lines in this n
Tami
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This review is based on an ARC provided by the author and /or publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest opinion.

3.5

This was a very poignant contemporary romance. The author endeavored to shed light on the unfairness and disgusting behavior of the ignorant and prejudiced peoples that discriminate against those with alternative sexual preferences.
Ali Hickling
May 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was impressed by deeper issues dealt with in this novella while remaining light, fresh and sexy. The characters are real and believable, and totally loveable. There are sections of fantastic dialogue that flows so naturally with flecks of humour and clever banter. A great read.
Dabney
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sweet too short story that, as far as its take on the stigma of being gay, could have been written five years ago.
Bree T
May 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Olivia has one goal in mind and that is buying back her brother’s beloved Ducati motorbike. Their father forced her brother to sell it years ago and now that the person who bought it wants to sell it in order to fund an overseas trip, Olivia has scraped together every cent she can muster to put in a good offer. They’re asking too much, but she’s confident she can secure the bike for the amount she has.

What she didn’t count on was some competition.

Owen Carson has recently returned from a stint wo
MarciaB - Book Muster Down Under
It’s the Queen’s Birthday long weekend in Hahndorf, Adelaide Hills, South Australia and Olivia Murphy’s finally managed to scrape together a deposit for something close to her heart – the Duke which once belonged to her brother. Cash in hand, she makes her way to the seller’s house to exercise her first right of refusal but, as luck would have it, someone else, in the form of Owen Carson, arrives and “steals” the show (or motorbike in this case)!

First impressions of Owen abound in Liv’s mind, bu
Anna Clifton

The Goodbye Ride is the second of Lily Malone’s contemporary romances I’ve read, re-released this month by Escape Publishing. It’s a short story -11 shortish chapters and an epilogue - and not being a big reader of novellas I'm always keen to see how a romance story with an emotional edge is developed in this shorter form.

The Goodbye Ride tells the story of Liv Murphy, a viticulture consultant, who’s returned to her childhood home of Hahndorf in South Australia where she's going to ‘say goodbye’
Marsha Spohn
Reviewed at Keeper Bookshelf

When you think about it, it really is remarkable how we so often associate a person we loved with a particular object.. a car, a motorcycle or even a place. I have a beloved uncle’s 1966 Thunderbird – I will never, ever part with it and maybe one day my son will make the choice to keep or sell it – but I won’t. So, I completely “get” Liv’s determination to re-purchase her brother’s Ducati And her devastation when that chance was taken away from her.

The Goodbye Ride i
Sophie
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
NetGalley copy in exchange of an honest review.

Olivia Murphy is a woman on a mission: buying her late brother’s motorbike so that she and his boyfriend (or ex, since he passed away) can go a goodbye ride.

But things don’t go as planned.

Especially when she meets Owen Carson, the man who also want to buy the bike. And he has money. And he gets the bike.

But they strike a deal for her to get it back eventually: helping him for the weekend in his aunt’s vineyard.

Could that change everything?

This is ro
Melody Cox
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Goodbye Ride

This is my third Lily Malone book and I can guarantee this author is hard to beat. In this book we have Olivia Murphy as the female MC. She's beautiful, sexy and very smart. Her mother is a psychological mess, with crippling obsessive compulsive disorder and it has driven the family crazy. Liv's beloved brother, Luke, had a tough life being teased, tormented and bullied relentlessly, even by his own father who was disgusted with his son for being gay. It was truly sad what he we
shannonbookishlife
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Received this book for review from netgally and the publisher in exchange for an honest review this has in now way affected my opinion

This short, sweet read takes place over a long weekend and somehow manages to deal with grief and homophobia as well as falling in love. I found it a quick, easy read and even got a little emotional towards the end.

Book Gannet
3.5 stars.

There’s not really a lot to say about it, though. Liv is a determined woman who is still suffering from the loss of her brother three years before. She lives with her parents (for reasons which slowly become apparent), her best friend is her brother’s last boyfriend, she run
Jaime Fertal
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Olivia just wants to buy back her brothers old Ducati bike back.. Her brother passed away a few years ago and the people who bought it back then are now selling it, but what happens when Owen comes along and offers more money? Does Mr Lang follow through with his word to Liv or sell it to the highest bidder? Liv and Owen have this instant chemistry and attraction to each other that is to make a great story.

What I enjoyed most about The Goodbye Ride is watching Liv go from not trusting Owen to t
Susanne
May 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keepers
I loved Lily Malone's first book and gleefully grabbed her novella as soon as it was released. It's another lovely story.

Owen and Olivia meet as both set out to buy a Ducati Pantah, a collector's bike for Owen but the last link to her brother for Olivia. Guess who misses out?

Owen is attracted to Liv who sees him as just another Neanderthal male with his ute and shorts (it is winter, after all). While Owen is insensitive to the cold (a stint in Antarctica might do that to a man), he realises th
Suzanne Paschke
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, arc
I really enjoyed this book. As someone who has spent years in the Adelaide Hills visiting family it was always going to be a title I was going to request as soon as I read the description.

I enjoyed both characters. Each had their own problems that they brought to the story, but nothing so dramatic and tragic to be overly cliche. As sad as it was, I liked the fact that the brother's death was a road accident and not due to his sexuality (granted it was still linked as he was on the way home from
marlin1
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Firstly I must admit that I'm a sucker for anything in set in the Adelaide Hills and I could picture every scene, especially as I was reading this in autumn with all the beautiful colours around.
Olivia Murphy lost her brother three years previously in a car accident and she was on her way to buy back his beloved Ducati motorbike that their father had forced him to sell. Unfortunately she was piped at the post by Owen Carson who could afford an extra fifteen hundred dollars that she couldn't rais
Dísir
Anything by Lily Malone is a treat and 'The Goodbye Ride' isn't what I'd expected but intriguing nonetheless: a dizzying immersion in the rich, Australian environment, the careful cataloguing of emotion and inner thoughts - prioritised over a great amount of action that I've probably grown used to. The novella's premise is simple but poignantly evocative, sensitively delving into issues such as homophobia, bittersweet memories and the (in)ability to move ahead in life after a tragedy.

I don't fe
Juanita Kees
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This read is as Aussie at it gets. Lily Malone has a warm, funny and totally endearing voice that embraces the true spirit of Australia - bikes, utes, thongs, singlets and mateship.

Olivia is on a mission to buy back her late brother's Ducati Pantah and embark on a ride in his honour. But the Ducati is a collector's item and someone else wants it too. Meet Owen - thongs, singlet and shorts in the middle of winter, driving a monster of a ute with all the trimmings. He beats Olivia with his bid fo
Sue
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
A sweet little book about a woman who is trying to buy back the motorcycle that belonged to her late brother...and in the process she finds more than she bargained for! It is set in Australia, so some of the language and phrases used are a bit different from here in the US, but all in all easy to understand and universal in its appeal.
Olivia and those around her are vividly described and at times you want to despise her parents since they were so hateful to her brother (especially dad) and the
Jenny Schwartz
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I know you don't start a review with a personal anecdote. This should be about the book, not the reviewer. But let's get one thing clear: I've ridden pillion on a motorbike once in my life and never again. So The Goodbye Ride had to convince me that caring about buying a motorbike was important -- and boy did it!

The Goodbye Ride has fantastic tension. Lots of foreshadowing. A relaxed Aussie vibe that only emphasises how difficult Liv's life is. All the characters feel real. All the issues in the
Talking Books
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This reader got completely swept up in The Goodbye Ride by Lily Malone, and the wonderfully portrayed, comical and vibrant characters that it contained were just mesmarising. Heart wrenching, life altering moments faced by both leading characters in this poignant read, completely draws the reader in. A lot of the dialogue you could just hear the characters saying. Many laugh out loud lines.

Olivia's character was sweet and strong alongside Owen's rugged studliness, both with a heart of gold, and
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Attention WA Readers! Holiday reading 1 3 Sep 26, 2013 01:21AM
Aussie Readers: Lily Malone 22 27 Jul 25, 2013 02:16AM
Aussie Readers: Free 5th and 6th July 1 11 Jul 05, 2013 04:09AM
  • The Sunburnt Country
  • Currawong Creek (The Wild Australia Stories #2)
  • Summer and the Groomsman
  • Hope's Road
  • In Safe Arms (Grace & Poole, #2)
  • Outback Sisters (Bunyip Bay, #4)
  • Driftwood
  • Breaking The Drought
  • One Little White Lie
  • Blood Secret
  • Shattered Sky (Border Watch #2)
  • Season of Shadow and Light
  • Close to Home
  • Beneath Outback Skies (Outback Dust #1)
  • Kakadu Sunset (The Porter Sisters #1)
  • Nobody But Him (Boys of Summer, #1)
Lily Malone is a journalist and freelance writer who discovered after years of writing facts for a living, writing romance was much more fun.

Lily juggles writing with the needs of a young family, and when she isn’t writing, she likes gardening, walking, wine, and walking in gardens (sometimes with wine).

She loves to hear from readers and you can visit Lily at www.lilymalone.wordpress.com; email he