Start by marking “Product Design for the Web: Principles of Designing and Releasing Web Products” as Want to Read:
Product Design for the Web: Principles of Designing and Releasing Web Products

Product Design for the Web: Principles of Designing and Releasing Web Products

Web designers are no longer just web designers. To create a successful web product that's as large as Etsy, Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest-or even as small as a tiny app-you need to know more than just HTML and CSS. You need to understand how to create meaningful online experiences so that users want to come back again and again.

In other words, you have to stop thinking l
Published November 8th 2013 by New Riders Publishing (first published October 21st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Product Design for the Web, please sign up.
Claudiu Constantin At first I thought it was too easy to read, but then I started to really appreciate the simplicity that the author uses when explaining some rather…moreAt first I thought it was too easy to read, but then I started to really appreciate the simplicity that the author uses when explaining some rather tough and non-intuitive concepts. (less)

Lauren Meranda
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Looking at books for my intro to web product design course, this one was the most helpful and concise. It has easy steps for students to follow to get a basic understanding of how to get into a career as a visual product designer.
Bindu Upadhyay
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it
It's a quick read. But after having read so many books and articles about design, I am not sure what this book added to my thoughts. I am gonna skim it through again at some point. A very handy book for beginners.
Claudiu Constantin
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good and solid introduction in digital product design. The principles described in the book very much apply to software engineering too!
Becky
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book I don't know why the Amazon reviews are so bleak.

I didn't know what Product Design consisted off. I knew the terminology of the word and that it's a vital role in web businesses. I've been a baby of the internet since I could remember. I always had a blog, banner rotation, tutorial websites and all those little bits I had online growing up. I never realised that all the things I did naturally to market my blog, bring traffic, update and improve it could be seen as Prod
Adrian Mendoza
Feb 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Good for anyone looking to get into or understand more about how to make digital products, otherwise nothing new.
Dana
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to me by a UI Engineer Lead during an interview. Good overview of big picture ideas to evolve the mindset of seeing web apps and web pages as web products.
Mikal
Nov 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book needed to be written and there is no more appropriate than Randy Hunt-- Etsy's creative director. With a background in graphics design and fine arts he can speak confidently about design perspectives, with web front end coding experience he can articulate the importance of knowing your materials and with a career cultivated at Easy (as opposed to some of the larger tech startups or shops); it's clear he has lived the experience of the pragmatic ship cycles within a more 'scrappy' organ ...more
Emir
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Reading "Product Design for the Web" thorough the lens of a general design book reader, you could find any number of objections. It’s focused on specific kind of product design, especially if your practice is in a different kind of environment. It’s vague and general. It’s seems common sensical. It’s old news to those who’ve been developing software products for a living.

Read it as a guide for a client services designer (especially coming from print) or a student looking to start designing appli
Dan
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great succinct read on product design for the web. I think that all digital design practitioners should read this. The methods and ideologies presented in the book, such as prototyping, user testing, and abandoning static mockups, are something that(even in 2015) some organizations and professionals struggle with. As product manager for Etsy, Randy J. Hunt provides thoughtful insight and articulated arguments for why this new approach to agile, iterative design is necessary to create awesome dig ...more
Kyle
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a very fast, lightweight, digestible book on digital product design. I enjoyed it.

However, I was left wanting more. I had hoped for more specific examples, greater depth, and more exposition. If you've been building web products for any significant amount of time (5+ years), only a few pages will surprise and delight you. Despite that, it's still worth your time to read.
Ola Olusoga
Feb 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: design
An OK read.

There are stronger books out there on the topic.

This is a great prime for people from a print background, who are looking for an intro into designing digital products.

For seasoned digital product designers, this book will feel shallow.

Sanedevil
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Read it since it was recommended by someone in the technopreneurship circle. But it isn't upto the mark. the same theme is told a 1000 times throughout the book using different language. Needlessly bloated into 200+ pages.
I did learn some cool pointers for sure, but not a great book.
Eric Brooke
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Simply but a good foundation for a web product designer
Dylan
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's a good primer of product and UX design process. Not very in depth, but a good starting point.
Jay R.
Mar 04, 2014 added it
This book is great so far. So looking forward to the rest ofit.
William Cline
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: design
Not enough depth to be useful to readers who already know something about building Web products. Not enough basics to be useful to beginners.
Nathan
Jun 03, 2015 rated it liked it
A bit thin on the ground. Offered very little insight to someone who already does a bit of this.
AJ Ostrow
Mar 31, 2016 rated it liked it
The key insight for me was to design in terms of ux "flow" instead of an individual feature or page. I also enjoyed his advice to write the press release first. As a whole pretty cliche.
Alison
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art, design, non-fiction
Short little primer on product design.
Carine
Oct 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Good overview of the principles and mindset of a great product designer. Insight in the nuance
Vivek Mohta
Jun 12, 2016
Tristan King
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: must-reads
ETSYS RANDY J HUNT BRINGS THE SECRETS TO PRODUCT DESIGN.
DEFINTIELY RECCOMEND

• A Practical Guide to Designing for the Web
  • Simple and Usable Web, Mobile, and Interaction Design
  • Content Everywhere: Strategy and Structure for Future-Ready Content
  • Design Is the Problem
  • Undercover User Experience Design: Learn How to Do Great UX Work with Tiny Budgets, No Time, and Limited Support
  • Responsible Responsive Design
  • Just Enough Research
  • Designing Together: The Collaboration and Conflict Management Handbook for Creative Professionals
  • You're My Favorite Client
  • A Web for Everyone: Designing Accessible User Experiences
  • Adaptive Web Design: Crafting Rich Experiences with Progressive Enhancement

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“People think that design is styling. Design is not style. It’s not about giving shape to the shell and not giving a damn about the guts. Good design is a renaissance attitude that combines technology, cognitive science, human need, and beauty to produce something that the world didn’t know it was missing.” 1 likes
“Even though building and distributing Web apps is different from building and distributing native apps, and they don’t have identical capabilities, your customers are likely using both.” 0 likes