Start by marking “A Sunny Heart (The Great Outdoors)” as Want to Read:
A Sunny Heart (The Great Outdoors)

A Sunny Heart

(The Great Outdoors #1)

Getting out there is half the battle.

Praise for "The Great Outdoors"...

Permission to Come Aboard: "I bought this one knowing it was a slight departure from her past books. It is wonderfully written and gave me an insight into gay relationships that I did not have before. The characters are diverse, determined and scarred from their individual life experiences; like many o
Published April 18th 2013 by Always the Good Girl LLC

To ask other readers questions about A Sunny Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Sunny Heart

Start your review of A Sunny Heart (The Great Outdoors)
Tammy Walton Grant
(Look out, I spill the entire plot.)

I have got to stop picking up free books from Amazon.

I got sucked in by the synopsis on this one, and who could blame me?

When Addison Hauser gives her heart to her best friend at fifteen, she never expects him to disappear with it. Working the ranch and caring for her alcoholic father after tragedy strikes, she doesn’t have much time to dwell on the hole he left.

Twelve years later, Mack returns to claim her and is reminded why bullies ran from his best frien
Lindsay
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: august-2017, 2017
Another one bites the dust! I’ve seriously been on a roll of Shayne McClendon’s books. And for some reason that I can’t put my finger on, this one is probably my favorite. Well…it’s tied with Always Delightful.

There was just something about Sunny and Mack’s lifelong friendship that got to me. I loved seeing them as friends that turned into more. And as odd as it may sound, I loved seeing how Sunny’s life changed after Mack left and how she eventually grew bitter with life and her obligations. M
Jenny
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I LOVE this author, I LOVE her books. I LOVE this series . . . but this story was ok, on the side of annoying for me.

I enjoyed this story, really I did, but there was too much that got me just scratching my head. I didn't like the fact that Mack was gone for so long with NO contact, odd. And what year is this? No cell phones? Email? No social networks? No way to TRY to search for one another? Why just sit and wonder . . . See. Annoying.

I did love Sunny. Her spunk. Her drive. Her loyalty.

Mack wa
Mel Bedford
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A loved Sunny and Mack, even though I wanted to punch Mack at first! This was a very cute and emotional story and quick read. My only complaint is that I wish it was longer or at least I would love to read more about them, because the Epilogue made you feel good and happy...but I was still left wanting to know more about the future with these characters. That is normally just a good sign of a great book.
djdavis~*Sivad*Sex Pocket
Loved it!
Loved the storyline, the author, the characters, and loved the ending!
Lindsay
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: august-2017, 2017

Valeen Robertson (Live Thru Books Blog)
I’m not as forgiving as Sunny

I like everything about this but for the fact that she took him back. I guess I’m not as forgiving as Sunny because I would have kicked him out of my life and never acknowledged his stupid ass again if I was in her position.
Coco.V
Apr 25, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (4/25/2020)! 🎁
J
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
An interesting short story about a girl who meets a boy, falls hard. Boy moves on promising to come back for her but he doesn't. Years later he shows up to scope out if she got married and had a family. She still pines for him but is so angry about his betrayal and the fact that she has ruined her life waiting for him that she takes off to find herself. Two years later she comes back and he is still there waiting for her. Of course, there is a lot more to the story than this and it is an enjoyab ...more
G
Jun 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Another great read by the author, where she manages to pull at your heartstrings. It's a good book, but there is a point in the book where you want to hit Mack and you hope that Sunny never forgives him, but moves on once he reveals himself. Others may not have that happen to them, but whilst reading I though NO, too pat, too easy not enough work put in for grovelling, not enough of an apology and I wanted a different ending. However that's just my take on it.

It is a good read and as I said emot
Karenvancoppenolle
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow respect for the character Sunny, she's so grounded that's kinda scary. And grrr Mack damn he was so stupid at first. Luckily all Shayne's stories have a happy ending ore this one would have had me grind my teeth together to the max. It's again a sassy story and the sex is phenomenal. It takes you again on a whirlwind of emotions and I love that about Shayne's writhing.
Otavio
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The that grows for life

Shayne tells of a couple in love since they were children. Separated by a cruel world, they are sidetracked by tragedy, bitterness, and shame. When he is revealed to her once again, will she kill him, or will she love him, or both?
Kat
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great Story, I loved it.
Colleen
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved, I hated & I was on the verge of tears right along with the characters. It was a wild ride through reality with a storybook ending. Absolutely perfect. ...more
Michelle
Dec 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
What a good, heart string tugger of a love story. Don't know if I like the time span scenario, but all in all this was a very good country girl read.
BJ
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: good
This is quite a sad story about a woman who almost loses her reason for living, when life gets too hard. The H promised to come back, but he actually put her last. Now she's bitter, and sadly at significant risk of self harm, when he decided to check up her. Maybe she has a couple of kids and they could talk about old times. He's shocked at her condition, and horrified at how much he hurt her. It's quite angsty, and it worked because of the good writing and the real remorse from both of them. I ...more
Debby
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable journey to a HEA

I really felt for Sunny and what she dealt with while waiting for someone who may never come back into her life. When the person she loved for so long comes back into her life in a secretive way, she takes off to give herself the break she needs. In leaving she is not even sure she will come back. What she does while gone I would love to know more about. Even so a satisfying read.
Kelly
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I finished reading Scars and just had to stay in that world. Sunny & Mack's story was the perfect fit. A quick read with believable conflict and characters I love. I'm continuing the binge with more of Shayne's books...what better way to end the year? ...more
Regina
Jun 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Heartwarming

Loved Sunny. She was tough luttle guel and wven tougher woman. Mack was sweet boy, but like most grew into a man that think they know better. Big recommend.
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sweet, Sexy & Satisfying Second Chance Story

Sunny and Mack live on neighboring ranches and are bffs starting at age 7. As teens, their relationship becomes romantic, but Mack leaves soon after. Compelling story; wasn't sure they could be reconciled but McClendon makes it work.
Melissa Cheslog
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a good story about second chances and hope. Mack and Sunny were best friends until Mack's great grandmother passes away. Mack then gets put into the foster care system. Sunny's mother dies in a tragic accident sending her father into a downward spiral of alcoholism. She is left with both farms to keep under control. 12 years later Mack comes back to surprise Sunny. This doesn't quite go as he expected. Sunny decides she needs to be herself and leaves. I felt as though Shayne McClendon m ...more
Gskm
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another good one

Where does she get these amazing stories? I am blown away by the depth of emotion in these stories by this author. This one is really good. I like the sass of Sunny and the vulnerability of Mackie who grows into the alpha marine Mack. Really a good read.
Karen
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love at its rawest

Love at it rawest form. Adored this book. It's an amazing love story . A strong girl a timid boy grow into a even strong woman and alpha man. One story you don't want to miss
Lindsey
Amazon freebie 5/31/13
Talltree
Jan 14, 2017 marked it as no-dnf-zzz-avoid
Dorothy Goodman
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shayne-mcclendon
Loved it. Strong women doing what needed to be done, then bam, man back in her life. Can't go wrong Shayne's writing.
Bookworm3
Esther E. Willson
Jan 20, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Broken (Deep Ops #3)
  • Maliki (Guardian Defenders #2)
  • By a Thread
  • My Favorite Souvenir
  • Beautifully Cruel (Beautifully Cruel, #1)
  • Tempest (Guardian Security Shadow World Book 5)
  • Suddenly Psychic (Glimmer Lake, #1)
  • Savage Beginnings (The Moretti Crime Family, #1)
  • The Nerd
  • Like a Wolf with a Bone (Pride #0.5)
  • Badger to the Bone (Honey Badger Chronicles, #3)
  • Fall Fast (SEALs Undone, #5)
  • Fall Deep (SEALs Undone, #4)
  • Shadow Flight (Shadow Riders, #5)
  • Experimenting with Ed (Human Design, #1)
  • Clean Lines (Cedar Tree #4)
  • Hatemates
  • Chasin's Surrender (Gemini Group Book 5)
If you’re looking for stories that tug at your heart, make you laugh out loud, and sometimes make you cry so hard you need a giant box of tissues…look no further than books by Shayne McClendon.

She’s a prolific author (more than 8 million words and counting) known for dramatic, steamy, enthralling fiction that will grab you and not let go until the last page.

A nomad at heart, Shayne currently lives

The Great Outdoors (5 books)
  • Permission to Come Aboard (The Great Outdoors)
  • Permission to Land (The Great Outdoors Book 3)
  • Special Delivery (The Great Outdoors)
  • Embrace the Wild