Start by marking “Awakened (Cursed Magic, #2)” as Want to Read:
Awakened (Cursed Magic, #2)

Awakened

(Cursed Magic #2)

After escaping from the elves and the General, Claire is on the run again with the last person she’d thought she’d end up with— Farron. Shadowy forces are nipping at their heels, and soon they are attacked. But they have bigger worries. An old friend of Farron’s shows up: a beautiful woman with a mark shockingly similar to her own.

As it turns out, she is not alone.

And the
Published April 2013

To ask other readers questions about Awakened, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Cami
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Awakened (Cursed Magic, #2)
Rebecca
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
**this review is mostly on the series as a whole so far, but mainly spoiler free**
Although, like others have said, this series has quite a few drawbacks,
I still love the story line, and can't wait for the next book!

However, there still are many flaws, including the dense and often annoying protagonist Claire, and the uncertainty about the time period (it seems around 18th to 19th century to me, yet women are frequently described wearing "slacks") and with Claire's age. She drinks, but I doubt t
Crystal Simpson
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Claire is infuriating. She is constantly naive and wont just give into her feelings for Farron. She doesnt want another broken heart like she suffered from the General. Some guy that she knew for like what a week tops. After a week she was madly in love with him and when he turned out to be a Dbag she was crushed? Ugh and Blah. I was hoping that the second book would shed some extra light on her mysterious mark and Claire would grow up and come into herself but so far no such luck. I get more an ...more
Swathi
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
YES!! No matter how painful it was. The last words made it all worth it. THAT'S what I'm talking about..
Jordan Skye
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
I must admit, this book hurt my heart. I liked the first one, up to a certain point. I hated how obsessed she was with the General, whatever his name was. She was so blind to how Farron felt, and to the General's real intentions. She didn't want to admit she liked Farron, which made absolutely no sense, after all they'd been through. And you'd think she'd realize that she wasn't the best judge of character already, so whatever previous notions she had about Farron might not be so true after all. ...more
Stephanie
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
UGH!!!!! Ready for the 3rd one!!!!
Kirsten
Oct 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There is often a great deal of expectation placed on a sophomore novel. Casey Odell, I believe, rose to the occasion in Awakening. In book two, Claire has survived her near death experience instigated by one she believed she could love. The fight for her life, "awakened" her previously dormant powers, but they have damaged by the cruel actions of another. Soon, Claire finds herself another prisoner, but this time in an opulent palace where she is expected to learn to master her powers. While the ...more
Kristen
May 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
Originally published: http://seriestracker.wordpress.com/20...

The title is Awakened but it should be Slept. Why? Because a dreamless sleep is more exciting, less tedious and boring, and makes more sense. This is, as a friend of mine might say, a "hot mess".

The writing did not improve. I was really hoping that after getting one book under her belt the author would find a voice that wasn't one that made me want to poke my eyes out with a hot ice pick. But, nope. No such luck.

So we pick up where Cu
Goddess Of Blah
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
The author appears to have just rushed through Book 2. It's less of a book and more like a few chapters. I feel as though I have been cheated of a whole book. There is no story in Book 2, but the beginning of a story. It's a complete disappointment from the first book and it's only because of my loyalty to Farron that I award it two rather than 1 star.

There were far too many negatives with Book 2, the most dominating being that I didn't feel this was really a completed book. The adventure in Boo
The Glassed And The Furious
Claire'r passiveness and stupidity are driving me crazy - that girl need to grow up already!

She is the typical, naive victim and frankly I can't take it anymore.

Oh I'm a prisoner of elves, but okay I'll just go along with it. They want me to go on a mission but won't tell me what kind? Oh okay, they said they'll help with my mom. This General likes me? Oh cool, I'm in love.
I can't even name all the times I just wanted to go into that book and slap her.
The story in this second book sadly disappo
Valerie Waters
May 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Ugh. even after rating the first book 2.5 stars I still read the second one. That is because by the end of the first book the story was FINALLY coming together.

This book was ok. I am not sure what to rate it. I feel like Claire is a twit! She doesn't know if she likes this guy, or isn't willing to admit it to herself yet, but then she sleeps with him....what the heck!?!?! Call me old fashion but I thought you figured out how you felt about someone BEFORE you do the deed!! I was glad there wasn'
Julie Powell
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book as it continues the life and adventures of Claire and those around her. I like the way the story is building and the way we're given first hand Claire's thoughts and feelings - I certainly appreciate the ironic humour.

I don't want to give any spoilers but will say that this story dwells on Claire's 'awakening' in more ways than one, and delves into the past of both her and her 'silver-haired elf' who is both maddening and delightful.

Yes, I loved book 2 and hope tha
Sara Mosteiko
Jan 21, 2015 rated it liked it
I did not like this book as much as the first one. I felt that most of it was filler and it became very boring to read through the first third of the book. After that, things became more exciting as the plot twisted and turned. However, all of those plot twists are a little much for the reader, in my opinion, in such a short amount of space. I would have like it better if, like the first book, they were spread out throughout all of the book. With that in mind, this book is still good and I would ...more
Kim Tang
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
I am touched by the courage of Claire and loyalty of Farron to her. It is a very absorbing story. Wish the third one would bring more warmth and love to the readers. However, It is the heartbreaks that both of them have been through moved and inspired the people. Life is short. Try try try hard for what you are after.
Kate
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book despite the less than appetising reviews. If your interested in a lighthearted story then give it a go! I preferred the first book of this series as most of this book was set in the palace and was a bit frustrating. However, with the protagonist Claire and Farron's chemistry coming alive in this book I found it gripping and cannot wait for the third!
Heather Y.
Jul 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Third book now, please! I love Claire and Farron, can't wait to find out what happens with them in the next book. Can I just say, stop being so stubborn already! Kiss and make up, would ya.
Nadine
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh how I was enthralled with the world Casey Odell created. It was love at first page. I devoured both books in a day.
Book 3, now, please!
R.M. Anderson
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
This review is going to contain spoilers.

As a beginning novelist myself, I really admire other newbie and self-published authors. It certainly isn't easy writing a novel, and kudos to the author for her fantastic imagination and the world she built within this series. However, I only made it through half of the second book, much to my disappointment. I really enjoyed the first book in the series (even though the main character, Claire, annoyed me at times). But she is beyond annoying in this se
Laurie Hopkins
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good

Claire leaves me shaking my head. Is she really that oblivious? Farron has feelings for her and she is blind to them, also blind to how she feels, so there's that. And really she has a hard time putting 2+2 together and coming up with 4.
Dianna
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I cant tell you how many times Claire pissed me off in this one. Especially the way she was handling the Farron situation. My opinions on her stupidity and actions, however, dont take away from how awesome I thought this book was. Its all I want to jump into when I am at home. Just 2 more to go
Sonia Santos
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great adventure

This story just keeps you enthralled in the mystery and mystical ways of the people within the palace. As the adventure continues so does muy reading into the next book.
Cindy gerdes
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hero's, Villains and more

All the keys are falling into place...searching for answers and finding love are just a few of the plots found in this book of a 3 part series.
Monica
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: k-n-eb
Still liked but not as much as the first. #TeamFarron
Hannah Kelly
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and can’t wait to find out how the rest of the series goes. The first book took ages to get into but was totally worth it in the end.
Toni ~married to a hunk~
Oh man. This is a crazy series and I love that you learn more about Farron in this series.
Abby
Dec 06, 2019 rated it liked it
I struggle because for most of the story, I am just annoyed with Claire, and find some of her emotions very repetitive. However, I LOVE Farron and the action/story line overall which is what makes me give these books a higher rating. The first part of them so far are VERY slow in my opinion, but the action and the endings are ALWAYS fantastic and what keep me going. I like the overall plot, I just struggle getting through the books.
Whitney
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hello Lovelies!

Wishing (seemingly) everyone in the southern states a wonderful first day of school even though I started last week *gags*. May your year be full of lenient teachers. While my reading time is drastically restricted by the presence of class work, nothing can quell my literary appetite. No, Netflix, not even you. If you have read some of my previous posts, you probably know about my love for the elvish race, especially a particular elf by the name of Farron. That being said, I decid
Cindy
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-it-loved-it
in a very sudden event Claire, an 18 year old girl, is suddenly and violently yanked from her world and she loses everyone she knows and loves including her mother. She is thrust into a world filled with elves and monsters she never knew existed. Her life is constantly threatened and she doesn't know who to trust or why anyone wants to harm her. In the first book she followed her heart which didn't end well for her. In this second book in the story she decides she needs to learn who she is, how ...more
J.C. Cauthon
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
My head hurts after reading this book. I loved the first book in the series. It was a bit of a hard read, but it was the author’s first book, so I was able to give her a little slack as she found her voice and her writing style. But this one, I don’t know what happened. Truly. I can’t remember a thing that happened in this book other than Farron following Claire around like a lovesick puppy and Claire whining and complaining about a broken heart and being utterly complacent about being a prisone ...more
Susan
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nooooooo!!! I just have to get that out of my system before I begin. I don't want to give anything away, so what I can say is that when two stubborn people who love each other yet don't open up honestly with each other it spells disaster. I am praying that in the next book these two figure out how to talk through things so they can avoid the worst possible outcome.

With that said, I gave this 4 stars because it does continue the story from the first book (although the beginning was a bit rough a
Meghan
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not what I expected. lots of wasted time and energy on pillow play, just to balk at her feelings, and reintroduce a ridiculous love/ old love angle. be real people. ferron on would have assassinated said dude. nice and quiet. I mean really. and what is with Claire all "you have killed people!!!!" what? no!" girl, please. duh. and the ending? the kings idea was totally ridiculous and why continue the charade after the council meeting? ferron is all ready in for the pound, girl give the man his pe ...more

• Fairy-Struck (The Twilight Court, #1)
  • Gateway (The Gateway Trilogy, #1)
  • Vampire Addiction (The Vampires of Athens, #1)
  • Soulbound (Return of the Elves, #1)
  • The Last Descendant (Sanyare Chronicles, #1)
  • Venom and Steel  (The Frey Saga, #4)
  • The Winter Sacrifice (Rise of the Dark Fae #1)
  • Dark Surrender (The Dark Ones Saga, #3)
  • Opium and Absinthe
  • Untouchable Darkness (The Dark Ones Saga, #2)
  • Chasm (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
  • The Hunt (The Twisted Kingdoms #1)
  • Sundered (Return of the Elves, #2)
  • The Royal Companion (The Companion, #1)
  • Rise of the Seven (The Frey Saga, #3)
  • Tether (The Gateway Trilogy #3)
  • Noble Thief (Fantasy and Fairytales, #6)
  • Snow & Ash (Endless Winter #1)

Cursed Magic (4 books)
  • Cursed (Cursed Magic #1)
  • Entrapped (Cursed Magic, #3)
  • Consumed (Cursed Magic #4)