Start by marking “The Principle of Desire (Science of Temptation, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Principle of Desire (Science of Temptation, #3)

The Principle of Desire

(The Science of Temptation #3)

1 Sexy Switch + 1 Nerdy Newbie = A Master Class in Seduction

After several years as a submissive, psychology lecturer Beth is eager to experience being on the other end of the whip for a change. When she meets sweet but socially awkward Ed at a party, it’s obvious the aerospace engineer is interested—and obvious he’s way too vanilla.

When tracking down a friend l
Published December 9th 2013 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about The Principle of Desire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Principle of Desire

Sofia Lazaridou
Apr 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: december-2013
**Spoilers Bellow**

The last book in the series was a disappointment for me. I couldn't get a clear image of Ed in my head. I was picturing him in 2 different versions both based on what I got from the book. I hated Beth's dilemma at the end. She wasn't over Aaron at all. And when he came back with full force she forgot what she had with Ed. No cookie for you, Beth. He fell back to the life she had with Aaron without difficulty. That led to a separation from Ed.

In the tril
Talltree
May 11, 2015 marked it as no-dnf-zzz-avoid
DNF

h kept comparing H to her ex all the time, even while smexing. Not romantic.
Lady Heather
Jul 28, 2015 rated it liked it

Good, short and sweet story.

Ana
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In one of the November DBSA podcasts Jane Litte from Dear Author commented that she is probably one of the few people reading Erotica for the story. I chuckled in recognition because I often feel the same way. I sometimes wish there was "sweet erotica" where we know there are plenty of kinky shenanigans happening off-page, without having to wade through the often repetitive technical descriptions in hopes of getting to the soul-affecting sex.

Del Drydren's books however are kinky, sex
Britt Marczak
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved! You really can't go wrong with kink + geekery. Each book has been really good, with its own distinct flavor.

I absolutely enjoyed Beth and Ed together, and the story flows so well that I'm laughing hysterically one moment, and entranced by the hotness in the next moment.

Let me pause here to say: THERE'S PEGGING!
Roni Loren
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: erotic-romance, bdsm
I just adore this whole series. They're autobuys for me (and I don't have a lot of autobuys.) My only complaint is I wish they were full-length novels instead of novellas. :)
Tabatha
Jan 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This was a fun and quirky read about one of Ivan's nerdy friends meeting a switch that he and Camilla brought to the neighborhood barbeque. As I have come to expect, this was very well written and I definitely enjoyed it. For Beth, this was definitely not love at first sight, but Ed gets totally smitten with her from first glance. I just loved Ed's character. He was the grumpy one of the bunch, so it was nice to see him more laid back and relaxed albeit very clumsy when he was around Beth. They ...more
Rhode
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Better than the second one but not nearly as good as the first.

There's BDSM and this time the woman is the domme. However, unlike the other books where the male is 100% toppy, she's essentially a switch and her love interest is as well. (Well, he's basically up for anything kinky in any direction whatsoever.) So, kind of a disappointment for anyone hoping for a pure Domme story.

I don't care much about BDSM, but anything different is a relief after the unending parade of female subs we get in s
Jessica
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bdsm

I'd been thinking that I'd like to see more femdom stories right before I started this, so I was delighted to see that the focus of this novella was on the development of the heroine, Beth, as she explored her Domme side. (Dryden is an auto-buy for me, so, no, I didn't know what this was about before I started reading.) I really enjoyed watching her interact with Ed, and watching them explore and play with their new-to-them roles. It's quite possibly because I had so much fu
Jae
I wish I had liked this more because I got almost exactly my wish, namely that the dude wouldn't be masterly-Master and the lady submissively-Submissive. I quite liked the switching, but thought that Beth's relationship with her ex overwhelmed the romance with Ed. And because the story was so short, both plots got short-changed. It's kind of sad that the series ended on a down note for me, but I'm looking forward to reading more of Ms. Dryden's work.
Shannon
You know, I think I like Ed and Beth even more than Ben and Lindsey. Ed was super sweet for a self proclaimed curmudgeon. And Beth just clicked with me. She overcame a lot in the short time we were getting to know her. She's strong and only getting stronger. These two have chemistry both in and out of the bedroom and other places their hormones take control.

Overall this was a really good story. 4 Stars
Kim
Jun 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: erotica, sexy-romance
Not as happy with this one as I was with the previous two.

I felt like Beth was having a crisis of identity for most of this book and in the end is still confused. She's a sub, a Dom, ok with vanilla sex, etc. I never felt like I understood her character.

Ed on the other hand - LOVED HIM. He has basically a sexual awakening and it's a pretty awesome one. He may very well be my favorite hero in the series.
Metaspinster
3.5 stars.

I agree with another reviewer that this story would have worked better as a full-length book than a novella. The characters and situation are compelling (and sexy) but this short length wasn't enough for the degree of life alteration that the HEA required.
Crystal
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: erotic, kink, romance
This was a cute, short little BDSM erotic romance. Third in possibly my favorite BDSM erotic romantic series so far, simply because the geeky characters feel so real to life (All my friends are geeks too. Yes, we do play D&D and board games. Alas, no kinky club.). They are, especially in this book, realistically imperfect. I was pleasantly surprised that scruffy, slightly chubby Ed was the hero of the story; Dryden manages to capture exactly how appealing of a partner he could be. Ed is char ...more
Maura
Melanie
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have read all of her books and I have loved them all. The Theory of Attraction is my all time favorite book in this genre, but this one is really darn good as well. Read these books! They’re fantastic.
AllAboutThoseBooks
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well done

If Penny Reid and Cherise Sinclair had a literary love child, it would be Delphine Dryden. This third book "switches" things up in sweet, witty, and unpredictable ways. A bonus scene at the end brings us back to our beloved characters in book one. A perfect ending.
Janet
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
All these books are great and far more endearing and relatable than other bdsm fare. Not that I don't love some of those, but I like that the characters are just normal people. irl, kinky people are not all absurdly attractive billionaires and hot young virgins.
Bunny McFoo
3.5 stars, definitely the best in the series
Andrea
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I discovered The Science of Temptation series at RT2013, when I received a free download code for a The Theory of Attraction from a publicist. I really appreciate the cleverness in the title, and hoped to read it sooner rather than later. Well, that didn't happen, and before I knew it, book three was up on NetGalley. I was still interested, and decided to give the entire series a go in one shot. I'm glad I made that decision because I thoroughly enjoyed the series.

The Science of Temp
Malinda
3.5-4 stars

This was a pretty good story. I liked Ed and Beth and their story was interesting with both hot and sweet elements thrown in. There is a bit of a love triangle things going on here but there's no sleeping around between anyone but the MCs.

Beth is a professor in Psychology at the same university as Ivan (the hero of book #1 in the series, The Theory of Attraction). She's made friends with Ivan, Cami, Lindsey and Ben (the 2 couples from the first 2 books) and since she's in
Marleen
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: erotica
I received my copy from Carina Press through NetGalley and rated it 4+ stars.

The Big Bang Theory meets BDSM is really the only way to describe this delightful and sexy series by Delphine Dryden. This is my third visit with ‘The Science of Temptation’ stories and I’d be hard pressed to pick a favourite. All of them made me smile, all of them were hot and all of them gave me hours of pure reading bliss.

I adored Beth and Ed. On the surface they’re so very different they coul
Tory Michaels
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, novella
I like this series so much. I first read Ms. Dryden's work in July of last year in The Theory of Attraction, and now eagerly pounce on every book in this series as soon as I can get my grubby paws on it. The first two books featured male Dom/female subs, but this one was different, in that neither character was a Dom, but rather both were switches (or one switch, one just interested in kinky sex once he tried it out).
I liked Beth a lot. She's honest about who she is, and when her Master (f
Heidi Hart
I've liked all three of Delphine Dryden's Science of Temptation series, and I think I liked this one the best. Beth is a switch who has recently left her Dom of eight years because he wasn't willing to let her explore her own dominant side. She meets Ed at a party hosted by Ivan and Cami (whom readers may recognize from The Theory of Attraction, book 1 of the series), but writes him off as a cute but klutzy dork after he spills a drink on her. Later, Beth joins Ivan, Cami, and the rest of the ki ...more
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Slick‘s review posted on Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

Review copy provided for an honest review

4 STARS

Sometimes you read a book that just doesn’t fit into a neat category and The Principle of Desire is one of those books. Yes, it’s a book about BDSM play but it is more about discovering who you are and what you want. It is a quirky, sexy, and nerdy all rolled up into a strange little package and I pretty much loved every minute of it.

I loved the immediate re
Paris
Nov 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Overall, I enjoy this series because of how different it is from other books in the genre. The characters are pretty unique in their geekiness and awkwardness. Usually in BDSM books, the characters are all super hot, super put together and capable of social interactions. Most of the characters in the Science of Temptation series are socially awkward and total geeks, which I love.

In the first book of this series, I had a really difficult time connecting to Ivan because he was so stiff
Angie
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC through NetGalley.

I've really been enjoying this series, but I have to say The Principle of Desire is my favorite so far! It's not as geeky as the previous book, but it is definitely sexier! Even though I've read quite a bit of BDSM fiction, this one introduced me to a few new topics: Dommes, switches, and pegging. I had heard of things before, but just never read about them. Beth has just gotten out of an eight year relationship with her boyfriend and Dom, Aaron. He didn
Rachel
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
4/5 nerdy, sexy stars!

This is the third book in a great little series! The books are not long, but there's so much detail in these short little reads that I still felt like I got to know the characters.

This installment focusses on Ed and Beth. Ed is a rocket scientist, no joke, he's an actual rocket scientist who is friends with Ivan and Cami and Ben (from previous books). Beth is Ivan's former submissive, who befriends his current girlfriend Cami. Ed and Beth meet at a g
Nakeesha

You know how men say they read Playboy for the "articles?" Well I read Delphine Dryden for the...articles. IMO she's amazing at character development. Ivan! Ben! Lyndsay! Dryden gives great "articles" and the "pictures" are nice to look at too.

That said, The Principle of Desire was all pictures and little article. Ed is supposed to be the curmudgeon of the Fighting Perderdors. I don't even remember him from the first two books. In this book, his book, with him as
Lucy
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this first in the series and loved it. There is something so hot about a big guy letting a woman do all sorts of things to him like tie him up and having panty-melting sex with him.

Poor clueless Ed meets Beth at his friiends', Ivan's and Camilla's, party, where he promptly spills his drink on her. Beth is unimpressed, but Ed is a bit stalkerish. He hacks Ivan's phone and gets her phone and email address. When it appears that Beth is going out later with Ivan and Camilla plus a
« previous 1 3 next »

• Craving Flight
  • The Dom Project (LA Doms, #1)
  • Serving Pleasure (Pleasure Series, #2)
  • Taken (Under the Skin, #3)
  • Laugh (Burnside, #2)
  • A Shot in the Dark (Long Shots, #2)
  • Yours to Take (The Connaghers, #4)
  • The Derby Girl (Getting Physical, #2)
  • Forbidden Fantasies (Bondage & Breakfast #1)
  • Unbound
  • Safeword Matte: In Training (Safeword, #6)
  • Living in Sin (Forbidden Desires, #2)
  • Playing Knotty
  • Agony/Ecstasy: 21 Stories of Agonizing Pleasure
  • Making It Last (Camelot, #4)
  • Out of Control
  • Sated (Fit Trilogy, #3)
I write contemporary and erotic romance, and sometimes steampunk romance! To contact me, go to my website or find me on social media.

The Science of Temptation (3 books)
  • The Theory of Attraction (Science of Temptation, #1)
  • The Seduction Hypothesis  (Science of Temptation #2)
“Um...we should have fewer pants on. This would be a great pants-free situation.” 0 likes