Start by marking “Soul Taken (The Life After, #1)” as Want to Read:
Soul Taken (The Life After, #1)

Soul Taken

(The Life After #1)

After-life just got a lot more complicated

Maggie is a Soul Collector. It’s her job to transport souls from the Living Realm to the After – but during a mission to New England to find a stolen soul, she ends up stuck in a teen mean girl’s body. Trapped, Maggie’s soul is catapulted into Ally’s life – and the human world she hasn’t experienced for one hundred years.

But, as a
Published June 4th 2013 by Carina UK

To ask other readers questions about Soul Taken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soul Taken

Start your review of Soul Taken (The Life After, #1)
Donna
Jun 13, 2016 rated it liked it
SOUL TAKEN was an interesting story but I wasn’t floored by it. It was entertaining enough to get through, but it’s one of those books that doesn’t really leave a mark. It’s just kind of so-so.

Maggie ends up stuck between a rock and a hard place when she gets sucked into the body of Ally while Ally’s soul piece is stolen. The notion that Ally is a mean girl is pretty irrelevant. You don’t see it at all while Ally is still intact; you only see it in a couple memories that Maggie accesses once she
Keeleigh

This was so boring that I think I fell asleep with my eyes open whilst reading it.

The writing wasn't terrible I guess, nothing really jumped out as being especially good. The world building was pretty damn weak (more on that in a minute) and I wasn't sure if the main character was meant to be deliberately unlikeable or if it was just shoddy writing.

Maggie is a Collector, a spirit which collects souls and take them over to the other side via Gate Seven. Maggie wants a promotion
Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)
I received this book for free from Author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
The first book in the Life After trilogy is apparently one of those books where the results – or the sequels, per say – could be either good or bad...

The concept is fantastic – I particularly loved the idea of the dead collecting souls and guiding them to the After after death (note: that was not a mistake – After is a place). While the general
Allison Kacmar
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Soul Taken, the debut of YA author Katlyn Duncan. I am 28 but read many YA books. I have found that some YA authors write only for teens. While other authors, like Katlyn Duncan, write for a broader audience. Katlyn has taken great care in developing her characters. You get a feel for their personalities quickly without them being predictable. The protagonist, Maggie, is simultaneously 17 and 100 years old. This leads to the dialogue being sophisticated enough to engage an older (20’s -30’s) ...more
Nicky Peacock
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the biggest joys of YA fiction is that the market is wide and the readers ravenous – and Soul Taken is a tasty morsel indeed. It not only gives us an interesting new concept of Reapers and the business of soul recycling, but also a believable and uncomplicated world to visit. It was an easy read from start to finish and invites you into an intriguing, well written story every time you turn on your e-Reader. It has a steady pace and enough of a mystery to keep you reading well past your ...more
Fiona Wilson
Maggie is a soul collector who has certain ways of gaining the souls she is sent to find. She has been looking for a promotion, however, to the Guards but has been passed over for someone she tried to train.

On the same day she finds this out she is sent on a special mission to search for a special soul. In the process Maggie finds herself thrust into the body of the girl she has been following, unable to get back out and unaware as to how this happened.

Maggie has to try and figure out why this
Precy Larkins
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I sat down to read SOUL TAKEN (while waiting for the baby to fall asleep) and didn't get up until I finished the book two hours later. It was interesting, and the world definitely intrigued me. I have to say I truly enjoyed this quick read. :)
Dark Faerie Tales
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: This was a unique story filled with great characters, an engaging plot, and sweet romance. I would highly recommend this book to anyone that likes fun clean paranormal books.

Opening Sentence: “Is it ready now?” Dylan asked for the tenth time in twenty minutes.

The Review:

Bridget’s Thoughts:

Maggie has been a Soul Collector for the last 100 years. There’s no denying that Maggie is the best and she is hoping that she will soon be promoted to
Maghon Thomas
I love when I find something good!!! So, the other day, I was browsing NetGalley, because I do that sometimes when I have time- not like I don't have 55,000 to be read books LOL but I saw this one and requested it. And then on the day I got accepted for a copy, I also got the invite for the blog tour. I took it as a sign. And I LOVED IT! It's such an interesting take on the "angels" except also, it's not. This is the author's debut novel, and she definitely did not disappoint. Also, it's about ...more
Jessica Bierschied
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
SOUL TAKEN, by Katlyn Duncan is her debut novel full of...pretty bad-ass angels with different kinds of jobs that create a more believable world of paranormal. Soul Taken takes a completely new approach to angels and life after death for all different kinds of people. A book filled with twists and turns and a plot that keeps you turning the digital pages faster than should be humanly possible! Katlyn’s debut novel is surely one that you will not easily forget.
When I got my hands on Soul Taken,
Heather
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a paranormal romance thankfully in the YA genre. I've seen some reviews refer to the beings in the afterlife in this book as angels, but the author is fairly careful of not calling them angels. I liked that about this book as I'm not a huge fan of angels. (Except Patch). So I really had no idea what this book was about when I started reading except from what the synopsis says which is a bit vague.

The characters- Maggie is the one we see the story through and she's a bit cold at first.
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The cover of this book really caught my eye when I was browsing on Netgalley. I think Carina UK have fabulous covers!

This was a completely new and unique story for me. I have not read many afterlife stories before, but this one has peaked my interest again. This story had my attention the whole way through. The writing style was nice and easy to follow and it was particularly nice to read after reading some quite heavy novels recently.

Maggie is a soul collector. When a person is about to pass
Kaleena Melotti
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Soul Taken is the debut novel by Katlyn Duncan. I started it with no expectations, but was definitely blown away by her attention to detail, the smoothness of the story line, and her creative view of Heaven.

Maggie is a soul collector and she trains other soul collectors. She goes to people near the time of their death and then escorts them to Gate Seven, where each soul will perceive something different as they cross over. I thought this was a wonderful difference from the old tried and true
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Soul Taken is a BRILLIANT read! I loved everything about it and I needed more when the ending came. I mean I have read a lot of books about reapers and soul collectors but this one takes the reading world by storm. I mean the descriptions and the places and oh lord the characters that I fell in love with make everything about reading Soul Taken special and unique. This is one of those books to look out for. I am so glad Paranormal Cravings hosted a tour and posted all over the place other wise I ...more
preppea
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
What an amazingly pleasant surprise SOUL TAKEN was! Lately I’ve gone into reading paranormal books from new authors with a certain amount of trepidation; perhaps because past authors have set the bar so high, or maybe because there’s such a wide range between the epically great paranormal books and the disastrously awful attempts. I can say with absolute certainty that SOUL TAKEN was a phenomenal example of the former. Wow! Talk about a completely unique concept with tons of new ideas, roles, ...more
Tween 2 Teen Book Reviews
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, arcs, ebooks
Soul Taken and Soul Possessed were super good! The main character was spunky and fun, and utterly different from other main characters. The plot was original and I did not see some things coming. The writing was spectacular, and read both books in a matter of days. There was the perfect amount of angst, tension, and passion all blended together.

The main character is named Maggie. As of the beginning of the books, she has been dead for over 100 years. She works as a Soul Collector. Much like a
EndlessReading
Nov 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
A HUGE thank you to Katlyn for providing me with an ARC copy of this book to review <3

I can honestly say this this book/series if the first I have read by this author, and am I glad to of signed up to this!

I love all things whimsicle, and fantasy based! I love this series, I loved Maggie, I Loved Cooper *Sigh* oh and we can't forget about Jackson.....Mmmm mmm mmmmmm, Jackson! I need to read more of this guy.

My mind is currently doing war at the worlds over Jackson & Cooper!

Maggie's life
Bodicia
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is another of those YA novels which can be happily read by older readers. Full of life lessons, morals and integrity this paranormal story has well rounded characters whose emotions I could relate to. Maggie, the main character, died at 17 but many years have passed since then so although she maintains her youthful outlook she is also tempered by wisdom and experience.

Maggie is after a promotion from soul collector to guard but after being passed up for somebody she trained she is offered a
Karl
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In this wonderfully imaginative book, you follow the story of Maggie; A 17year old soul collector who has been dead for over one hundred human years. Her job, would you believe is to collect souls, and she also trains the new soul collectors that have recently shifted off the mortal coil. She becomes trapped in a teenager’s body during a mission to find a stolen soul; this is where the story really begins. This really is an original book about the afterlife and I have to say; impressed isn’t ...more
Kara Baker
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, and I am very impressed by it! The author did a great job keeping the book organized, descriptive, easy to follow, and most importantly, interesting! I had a hard time putting this book down—it was definitely a page-turner! The descriptions of all the characters, scenes, etc. were so vivid that I felt like I was right there with the characters— which is something I always look for in a book on the paranormal. If you’re into books about paranormal/ ...more
Samantha Tonge
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
The book Soul Taken does not belong to my usual genre - I do read paranormal romance but normally it has to involve werewolves or vampires to attract my attention! However, it was good to read a book that stretched me in terms of following the afterlife plot and different characters. The story is very original, pacy and well-written. The dialogue is snappy and realistic. Right from the start I loved Maggie, the main character, and rooted for her. It is a young adult novel but a degree of ...more
Samantha Clysdale
May 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this book in exchange for an honest review Lovers of Paranormal.

I love that is puts a different spin on what we think heaven is like. Maggie who is the top true soul taker finds her self in a pickle or should I say a body. Has to learn how to respect the guards even though she envy them. She slowly remembers who she is as the story goes along. This book is great for people who want to laugh and be surprise. It kind of remind me of the game I once played Kingdom Hearts.
Amy Bird
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 stars because I want to read the next one in the trilogy - wouldn't do to be sated by the first one! Really imaginative world, compelling story-line and interesting central characters. YA isn't my usual genre but a good introduction from my fellow UK Carina author!
Jennifer Murgia
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Katlyn Duncan's YA debut, SOUL TAKEN, is a thrilling ride that will leave you breathless for the next page, and curious to find the true soul we nurture within.
Theresa
GREAT READ!!
C.F. Villion
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this. :)
Katlyn Duncan
Jun 02, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: ya, carina-uk, paranormal
It's a dream come true to share Maggie's story with the world and I hope you enjoy her journey. :0)
Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)
The author/publisher provided a free copy of the book for review purposes - thank you! Receiving a review copy does not guarantee a positive review and therefore do not affect the opinion or content of the review.

Amy Shannon
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Soul Collector!

Maggie is a soul collector. She is a great character, who is multi-dimensional. She has this way about her, with a cocky attitude and grand independence. Now, she's trapped in the body of a teenage girl, Ally. This story definitely pulled me in, though it started a little slow, but that's the best way for this story to be handled. I look forward to the books that come after this one.
Vicky Connelly
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Reading this book made me think about life after death in a different way because I had never thought of soul collectors as actual beings with memories and a personality -made me do the sideways glance more than once!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Splintered Oak (Winsor, #3)
  • The 57 Bus: A True Story of Two Teenagers and the Crime That Changed Their Lives
  • The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
  • Stained (Stained, #1)
  • Twilight: The Graphic Novel, Vol. 2  (Twilight: The Graphic Novel, #2)
  • Stallions at Burnt Rock (West Texas Sunrise #1)
  • The Bookworm Crush
  • Starfire Angels (Starfire Angels: Dark Angel Chronicles, #1)
  • Gone Rogue (Wires and Nerve, #2)
  • Soul DNA: Your Spiritual Genetic Code Defines Your Purpose
  • Stone Cold (Music City Moguls, #1)
  • Stuck in the Middle (Sister-to-Sister #1)
  • Somewhere to Belong (Daughters of Amana, #1)
  • Strike the Match (The Teacup Novellas, #2)
  • 2am Thoughts
  • Swim
  • Between the World and Me
Coming from a small town in Western Mass, Katlyn Duncan always had her head in the clouds. Working as a scientist for most of her adult life, she enjoyed breaking down the hows and whys of life.

As a full-time author and freelance writer, she’s published eight novels in four years. If she’s not writing, she’s obsessing over many (many) television series’.

She currently resides in Southern New

The Life After (3 books)
  • Soul Possessed (The Life After #2)
  • Soul Betrayed (The Life After #3)