Start by marking “The Golden Grave” as Want to Read:
The Golden Grave

Read Excerpt

The Golden Grave (Liam Mannion series #2)

Published April 13th 2013 by David Lawlor

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Grave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Grave

David Jarrett
Sep 27, 2014 David Jarrett rated it really liked it
This book had a very interesting premise, and the author obviously knows his material and has done his research well. As he is Irish himself, I am not surprised. The plot has some interesting twists that I will not divulge due to spoilers. My only criticism is that of the scenes revolving around fighting and combat -- there are a couple that ring true, but many do not, and that is the only reason I do not give this book a 5-star rating. It was refreshing to read a book by an author who is NOT we ...more
Traci Lawrence
Oct 30, 2014 Traci Lawrence rated it it was amazing
Very few authors are able to successfully combine historical accuracy, suspense, and heart-pounding action. David Lawlor joins these exalted ranks as he fuses the sights, smells, and emotions of the World War I era with nail-biting suspense.

I didn't know what I was getting myself into as a reader. In the beginning, I thought that I was reading a light suspense novel that would enhance my knowledge of “The Great War” while it gently introduced me to some interesting characters. I was wrong!

The no
Scott Whitmore
Apr 26, 2013 Scott Whitmore rated it it was amazing
What would it take to convince a group of British ex-servicemen to return to the killing fields of Flanders after the Great War? The very location where, just two years earlier, they had endured a hellish, kill-or-be-killed existence in the trenches, knee-deep in stinking mud, senses assaulted by the pounding of artillery, and surrounded by the dead — many whose bodies were violently torn apart by shells and bullets, taking part in futile mass charges into spitting machine guns, choking on musta ...more
Christoph Fischer
Apr 22, 2013 Christoph Fischer rated it it was amazing
"Golden Grave" by David Lawlor is a splendid thriller in a very interesting historical setting.
A prologue introduced the title theme with a short and gripping description of a train journey in Flanders in 1917. Loaded with a special "24 carat" cargo the train comes under fire and comes to an unscheduled stop.
Jumping forward in time to 1920 the author `returns' to Liam, hero of his previous book, "Tan", a man on the run from the law. Wanted by the police in Ireland he fled to Liverpool, where he
Jim Wright
May 13, 2013 Jim Wright rated it it was amazing
Synopsis: 1920 – Former British soldier turned republican fighter Liam Mannion is on the run with a price on his head. He looks up with old comrade Ernie Wood, who is being lured back to the battlefields on the Western Front in search of lost gold.

The source of the story is Liam’s former lover, Sabine Durer, who ran a soldier's bar close to the frontline. Blinded by thoughts of her and buried treasure, Ernie and Liam enlist three other ex-soldiers to find it.

What starts out as a simple excavati
Carol
May 24, 2013 Carol rated it it was amazing
In THE GOLDEN GRAVE, David Lawlor tells a "can't put it down" story wrapped in a fascinating period of history. In this story, Irishman Liam Mannion and several of his war buddies return to the French countryside where they'd only recently fought in the deadly trenches during WWI. It had not occurred to me that years after fighting ended, there would still be teams of people out recovering bodies from those battlefields. Getting my head around that idea alone made the war and the aftermath as vi ...more
Mary
May 11, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing
An entertaining way to learn history.

A post WW1 impressive historical novel and the sequel to ‘Tan’, The Golden Grave picks up with Liam Mannion in search of gold. A train cargo packed with enough bullion bars to persuade Liam and his war buddy to return to the horrific battlefields of France once again.

Gold wasn’t the only lure; there is a gold seeking, conniving bitch named Sabine, a former lover of Liam, who has recruited a group of servicemen to carry out her dirty work.

Lawlor takes his rea
Bob
Apr 25, 2014 Bob rated it liked it
WWI and a special train carrying a great sum of gold is crossing France while running through an artillery barrage and finally derails when it hits a bit of milling track. The gold is off loaded and secreted in a bunker nearby. Somewhat later the bunker is collapsed by a huge explosion near by and the location is lost. Move ahead to after the war and one of a group of British Engineers (sappers) gets letter from a French woman who ran a bar/hotel/R&R establishment where the soldiers would co ...more
John Savage
Oct 12, 2015 John Savage rated it it was amazing
The follow up to Tan and the second in a series of three, so far. Very different from the first book as it is set in post WW1 Europe with the story being former comrades searching for a lost shipment of gold bullion. Each has their own reason for searching for the gold and needless to say there are many set backs along the way. Full of historical items, of which I was unaware, and a very plausible story. If you enjoyed Tan, then you'll like this.
Jeanette
May 08, 2016 Jeanette rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank David Lawlor for sending me an e-copy of 'The Golden Grave' in exchange for an honest review.

I read the first book 'Tan' not that long ago which was excellent and once again, this is another excellent novel. I rarely write what the story is about for fear of spoiling for others, but if you enjoy stories that are very well written and based on War, believable characters, murder, I do highly recommend.
Juliana
Mar 17, 2017 Juliana rated it it was amazing
Betrayal and Death

I stayed up until the wee hours of the morning to finish this story. The author did an excellent job putting the reader in the trenches of WW I with the crew of veterans, all damaged in one way or another by the horrors of the war, as they hunt for a lost shipment of gold. Betrayal and death -- who will get the treasure and who will get a golden grave?
P.C. Zick
Jan 29, 2014 P.C. Zick rated it it was amazing
The Golden Grave is the second novel in David Lawlor's "Liam Mannion" series. Liam is once again in exile in England in 1920 when he runs into a war buddy from the trenches in France. The novel’s conflict is set almost immediately as a group of World War I veterans enter into a dangerous project that involves digging into the battlefield grounds of France to find the pot of gold.

The love and lust affair between Liam and Sabine offers some sexual tension, but also provides a buffer between the te
Jerry D Stark
Jerry D Stark rated it liked it
I.D.
I.D. rated it did not like it
Jul 11, 2014
Fergus O'Connell
Fergus O'Connell rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2017
frank walls
frank walls rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2016
Mr CP
Mr CP rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
Sue
Sue rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2014
Kieran Power
Kieran Power rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2014
Pat Whitaker
Pat Whitaker rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2014
Linda Daley
Linda Daley rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2014
Andy Shaw
Andy Shaw rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Pia
Pia rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2014
Ian Nicholls
Ian Nicholls rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2016
D.J. Kelly
D.J. Kelly marked it as to-read
May 20, 2013
Michele Shriver
Michele Shriver is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2013
Connie Steckel
Connie Steckel marked it as to-read
Sheila
Sheila marked it as to-read
Deb
Deb marked it as to-read
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
cariedaway
cariedaway marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Dalene
Dalene added it
Apr 26, 2014
Bev
Bev marked it as to-read
Gloria
Gloria marked it as to-read
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Wade
Wade marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Kelly Willcoxbrackeen
Kelly Willcoxbrackeen marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Pilar Taitano
Pilar Taitano marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Pamela Howell
Pamela Howell marked it as to-read
Carly
Carly marked it as to-read
Karolinde (Kari)
Karolinde (Kari) marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Stephen Robertson
Stephen Robertson marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Guin
Guin marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Michelle Marshall
Michelle Marshall marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Kath
Kath marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Sheelah
Sheelah marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Associate Editor of The Herald newspaper in Ireland, David has written three historical fiction novels, Tan, The Golden Grave an A Time of Traitors, set in the 1920s during the Irish War of Independence and following the character Liam Mannion.

David is also a book editor - copy an content editing. Check out http://historywithatwist.wordpress.co... for further information.

Lives in Wicklow, Ireland,
More about David Lawlor...

Liam Mannion series (3 books)
  • Tan - A Story of Exile, Betrayal and Revenge