Start by marking “The Wrong Girl (The 1st Freak House Trilogy #1)” as Want to Read:
The Wrong Girl (The 1st Freak House Trilogy #1)

The Wrong Girl

(The 1st Freak House Trilogy #1)

It's customary for Gothic romance novels to include a mysterious girl locked in the attic. Hannah Smith just wishes she wasn't that girl. As a narcoleptic and the companion to an earl's daughter with a strange affliction of her own, Hannah knows she's lucky to have a roof over her head and food in her belly when so many orphans starve on the streets. Yet freedom is somethi ...more
Published May 25th 2013 by C.J. Archer

To ask other readers questions about The Wrong Girl, please sign up.
Satangan I'm going to say no because you really don't download books here, its mostly review and discussion; while finding interesting books to read.
I…more
I downloaded a version of this book for free from my iBooks on my iPhone. I think there are other places to get it for free as well.(less)

Bark
The cover of this one got me. Just look at it and see if you aren’t lured in too. A creepy Victorian, a pale Gothic beauty and an alluring title that promises this is “book 1 of the 1st Freak House series”, how could I possibly resist? I was expecting great things along the lines of “We Have Always Lived In the Castle” or perhaps a “Flowers in the Attic” vibe mashed up with a little “Geek Love” but that’s not at all what I got. If you don’t expect those things, you might be okay.

Things start out
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
This was one fantastic read! A really fascinating story which I couldn't put down, so this is easily a 5 stars.

The characters really came to life for me, and there was plenty of mystery and drama, and even a spark of romance.

Hannah was loyal and strong, Jack was headstrong and Sylvia? Well, I still think she's hiding something. Bollard was creepy and more than a little scary.

The twists in this book are excellent and I wasn't even expecting most of them. It's great to be surprised by a book, by t
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
See this review and more on The Moonlight Library!

Orphan Hannah Smith is kidnapped from her attic prison and bundled off to a strange house by a handsome young man and his friendly cousin. It’s a case of mistaken identity – or is it? Hannah wants to protect her best friend, a shy firestarter, so she pretends to be Lady Violet in this Victorian Gothic masterpiece with paranormal elements.
To say I'd been kept prisoner my entire life in an attic wasn't quite true.

With and opening line like that,
Navessa
May 17, 2013 added it
Shelves: arc, dnf
While I like the premise of this book, I’ve decided that it’s just not for me. My biggest issue was how much it was telling me and how little it was showing me. Because of this, I wasn’t as invested in the story or the characters as I would have liked. In addition, the writing was a bit...awkward at times.

“The rest of the room where we stood was more sparsely furnished.”

So, not a bad book per se, just not my cuppa.

The Good

The catchy opening. "To say I'd been kept prisoner my entire life in an attic wasn't quite true. It was only fifteen years out of eighteen." This opening line grabs you immediately. As the story unfolds, bits and pieces of Hannah's life begin to reveal themselves, dragging the reader deeper and deeper into the addictive plot.
The betrayal. The betrayal Hannah discovers is shocking, and Hannah's reaction to it is absolutely perfect. She's confused, hurt, angry--this is the part of the
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Not going to bother with a critical review, I wasted enough time reading this drivel.
♥ Unaeve ♥
I enjoyed the read. It was a nice change to the usual fantasy genre i am reading.A fast paced romance-mystery novel with a drop of paranormal.The only thing that spoiled it to me and made me give it 3 instead of 4 stars is the ending. It doesn't solve anything.It leaves you feeling like someone teared out half the book. It doesn't even feel like the usual cliffhanger..more like an unfinished chapter. I really don't like when books end this way. I suppose i wouldn't mind if i had the sequel alrea ...more
Alatea
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it
2,5*

The beginning was good. The opening. The first chapter. It got my attention and even when I was pulling myself through the book, I still thought: "It's going to get better". It didn't.

The plot was unremarkable, the pace slow and the heroes... well, average. There are some questions raised, but reader never gets answer (maybe in the next book?..), there is this almost-predestined love story with heroes that have zero affection to each other, there is this dark mysterious past of the main hero
Erin Arkin
May 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: series, historical

The Wrong Girl is an interesting read. This is the first in the Freak House Series and there is definitely some promise. I found myself turning the pages hoping to get some answers but unfortunately nothing was really resolved. I think that the length may have hurt. At only 139 pages, it is definitely a quick read but I didn't get a lot of the information I was hoping to have by the end.

Hannah Smith is the companion to Violet Jamieson and due to their afflictions; they have both spent a
Chiara
ARC provided by Patchwork Press via Net Galley.
Eighteen year old Hannah Smith has known nothing besides her life in the attic of an Earl, as the companion to his daughter. Hannah has always longed for the freedom of the world that is just out of her reach. She never thought that freedom would come at a price. Her kidnapping.
You're so excited to read this book, now, aren't you? I can just tell. And if you do decide to read it, you are in for a sweet gothic treat.
First off, the cover. I am IN LOV
Marjorie
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I have to admit to being slightly disappointed by this book - it paled in comparison to the first of the Ministry Of Curiosities series. Somehow, I think I may have expected far more from it than was reasonable.

The premise would be sound if we hadn't already gathered that the Wrong Girl was really the Right Girl almost as soon as she is kidnapped - it just take Harriet a while to catch on. There is some attempt at building tension, especially later in the tale when they go to visit the One-Armed
☆Eiko
The cover looks amazing, the beginning chapters were tremendously entertaining, the concept was eye catching, the problem was the bad execution of the work. I truly wanted to like this, truly deeply.... but it was very difficult. The heroine does not make herself likeable at all, she's rather slow, and extremely repetitive.
She spends every other conversation with her apparent insta-love interest Jack reminding him what he clearly remembers doing (and probably regrets it as well) and that is ki
Eustacia Tan
Jun 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
According to this book, there's a girl looked in an attic in every gothic novel. So guess who our new heroine is? If you say "girl locked in an attic", you've got it right! So I guess that's the summary of the book?

Ok, so not quite. The heroine of this book, Hannah, has nacrolepsy while her friend (who's Lady Violet and thus her boss) has the ability of setting things on fire. Or so she says (She only sets things on fire when Hannah's asleep).

So one day, Hannah gets mistaken for Lady Violet, kid
Jagged
Jun 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Hannah doesn't fit in well with the era she is supposed to be a part of. I loved her quick wit and humour, but she doesn't act the way she should. She especially doesn't act as naive as a girl who was locked in an attic for her whole life would. Her character development is at odds with her story.

The interaction with the villain was very awkward and didn't transition with the story well at all. I think there needed to be a better job setting that scene up and developing the over all feel of the
Joan
I find it very difficult to review and rate this novel. The writing is good, the style flowing and smooth with no obvious SPaG errors leaping out to distract me. The plot moves ahead well, with interesting characters and enough tension and mystery to keep me entertained. But I wasn't sure what exactly I was reading - historical YA, or paranormal or even romance. The overall concept worked at first but then there were a few too many additional extras that seemed designed to pad out the story - pr ...more
Jayne dArcy
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was free but I was intrigued by the title of Freak House. It was a very good story that dragged you kicking and... okay, it was pleasantly brought in instead of screaming to the time period this takes place in.

This is a Gothic Mystery Romance trilogy. There are 3 books for Hannah and Jack's story. You can currently purchase all 3 in a boxed set for Kindle for 6.99. A really good bargain.

Now, Hannah and Jack are both extraordinary young people. Hannah has Narcolepsy and Jack can set fir
Cheryl M-M
May 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I thought the beginning was full of potential. A plot that will intrigue the readers who like their characters with bonus powers and written in a way that relates to younger people.
The first half was strong, determined and convincing. The second half was a little rushed.
The main character has been kidnapped for the unusual powers she apparently controls. Unfortunately she isn't as talented as her captors presumed her to be.
To make matters worse she feels a strange attraction towards her handsome
C.J. Milbrandt
Hannah grew up in an attic, locked away (albeit comfortably) with the daughter of the manor, who has a strange affliction. She's a fire-starter. At the age of eighteen, Hannah is mistaken for the young lady and kidnapped by people who claim to want to help her.

Captivity and cousins. hypnotism and high society. Footmen and shopping forrays. Reputations and romantic leanings. I wavered between three and four stars for this one. I liked the story, even though it's not particularly complex. Many of
Ellana Thornton-Wheybrew
A cute easy read, just what I needed. I love the characters and the plots. Brilliant book
Ionia
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Rather than diving into talking about this book right away, I would like to talk about the author for a brief moment. C.J. Archer. Who is this author? I asked myself after getting a few chapters into this book and realising the novel kicks some serious arse. So, it turns out that C.J. Archer has written other books, quite a few other books. I must read them. There are historical romances, young adult paranormal titles and other standalone books available at cjarcher.com

Okay, on to the book revie
Mary Lou Hoffman
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the first in what has been promised to be a trilogy. The story is set in 1888, England, a Gothic young romance with a supernatural twist. Because it is the first in a series, not all questions have been answered by the end of the book. I love that!

Violet is Lord Wade’s daughter. Hannah Smith, orphaned, but lucky enough to be fostered by Lord Wade, is Violet’s constant companion. Also, she has narcolepsy.

Jack, his cousin Sylvia, and their uncle August Langley are the dysfunctional family
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
3.5*
I love this cover, but Hannah has red hair.
Hannah has spent her whole life in the attic of an Earl's house. Orphaned, she is the companion to the Earl's daughter Violet. Both are kept in the attic because of Violet's ability to start fires. These also happen when Hannah as a narcoleptic episode. When Hannah has these episodes, she has no memory of them. Hannah is kidnapped and taken to Frakingham House (AKA Freak House). Her kidnappers believe they have Violet.
Overall I liked this. Hannah,
Ashley Reads
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
First of all, what's with the dumb cover? Hannah has flaming red hair and freckles.

I had absolutely no expectations of this book so I was pleasantly surprised. During the first third, I kept thinking, "Ugh, this is soooo predictable, I can already tell how it's going to end." Well I was right on a lot of stuff but totally wrong on others! It had some pleasant surprises.

It was definitely an easy/fluffy YA read with not a whole lot of depth but still entertaining.

My only complaint was the sense o
Rebecca
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: aussie-authors
This is very similar to C.J. Archers the last necromancer, girl with special gift is abducted for her own good, girl negotiates with her captors, girl develops feeling for boy, girl and boy confront the villain and everything turns out okay.
It’s not a bad book but to be honest I’d rather read a book about Samuel Gladstones misspent youth hypnotising the unsuspecting than continue with this series
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
Lauren
The wrong girl

She Hannah smith is kidnapped to the freak house she thinks she is protecting her friend violet. She is thrown into one mystery after another.

I really liked Hannah and her attitude about the whole situation. Jack was such a fun and exciting character. I can't wait to see how the story turns out.
Angela
May 15, 2014 marked it as tbr-lost-interest  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free, ya, paranormal, gothic, kindle
15 May 2014: $0.00 FREE on Kindle
Brandi ;)
I'm sort of into this era right now. Especially with paranormal aspects included. I will read the next in the series.
Alicia Huxtable
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book kept me interested, to a point. It moved at a good pace and the storyline was interesting enough to keep me reading.
Missasippy
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was SUPER well written and I loved the historic aspect to it.
  • Souls of the Stones Omnibus (Souls of the Stones, #1, 2, 3)
  • Awakenings (Kiera's Quest, #1)
  • Gift
  • Shadow Embraced (Haven, #1)
  • Beautiful Danger (In the Company of Vampires #1)
  • Control (Shift, #2)
  • Arrow of the Mist (Arrow of the Mist, #1)
  • The Sweetest Dark (The Sweetest Dark, #1)
  • Scrap
  • Stalking Sapphire (Stalking Sapphire, #1)
  • Assured Destruction (Assured Destruction #1)
  • Peregrine Harker & The Black Death
  • Wishing Stars: Space Opera Fairytales
  • Saxon's Bane
  • Entangled (Spellbound, #1)
  • Red Hot Dragon (Dragon Heat, #2)
  • Released (Romani Realms #1)
  • Piece of My Heart
C.J. Archer has loved history and books for as long as she can remember and feels fortunate that she found a way to combine the two. She spent her early childhood in the dramatic beauty of outback Queensland, Australia, but now lives in suburban Melbourne with her husband, two children and a mischievous black & white cat named Coco.

While she has written historical romance in the past, she now

The 1st Freak House Trilogy (3 books)
  • Playing With Fire (The 1st Freak House Trilogy, #2)
  • Heart Burn (The 1st Freak House Trilogy, #3)
“touched mine. She tucked a strand of my curly red-gold hair behind my ear, but” 0 likes
“earnest held their hats on their heads. Or at least, one of them did. The other had a sturdy looking tall helmet. A military man? It was odd that the two visitors were at the side of the house, not the front where they” 0 likes