Start by marking “Příchod tmy (Noční běžci, #2)” as Want to Read:
Příchod tmy (Noční běžci, #2)

Příchod tmy

(Nightrunner #2)

Seregil z Rhíminee, muž s tajemnou minulostí, už naučil Aleka z Kerry všechna největší tajemství svého řemesla. Jako zloději a špehové společně plní drobné i nebezpečné úkoly. Jejich životy jsou neustále v ohrožení, ale současně obklopeny aurou magie, přátelství a důvěry.
Avšak nyní, když se Skala připravuje na válku s Plenimarem, jsou Seregil, Alek a Micum povoláni čaroděj
Published June 2011 by Fantom Print (first published February 3rd 1997)

April
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, fantasy, loved
Deserves lots of GIFS!

Better than the first, in my opinion. Maybe it's just because the story is more engaging for me this time round
...and I've grown more attached to the characters, which, I know, is
Though the writing isn't necessarily what I would usually read (I find it kind of heavy sometimes), it's well suited for this type of book. It's just colossal amounts of fun. The world Flewelling has spun is wondrous and enchanting; a pleasure to dive into. This series is seriously underrated.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely the most underrated series I've come across so far. The first book is great. This one? I can't even begin explaining why I loved it so much. I spent the last sixty or so pages (maybe more) crying. From the start till the very end of this book I've gone through so many feelings: from annoyance through astonishment and speechlessness, deep hatred, despair and gloating to bitter-sweet happiness. Add any other you can think of in between and you can find it in this story.

What sta
Troy G
Dec 05, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I'm of two minds about this book.

It is good fantasy adventure. There is a good pace to the adventure, and while some of the world may have been a bit foggier than other books in this genre, I did enjoy the quests, magic, and intrigue.

HOWEVER, I was really, really bothered by the romantic relationship between the two main characters. It isn't about the homosexual part of it (though that did suprise me when I was 16). The problem I had with this was the age and social maturity difference between
Kaitlin
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Trigger: There is some female-on-male rape in this book although it's not in explicit detail*

This book is the second in the series and picks up not too long after the ending of the first. We see that our characters have grown more since the end of book one and settled into routines and life in Rhimanee, but there's still many mysteries to uncover, both about each other and to do with what they found out in book #1.

In this instalment I really did connect more to the character of Seregil and I
Jennn
Apr 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, fiction
I like the characters, I do. They change and develope. I also like how Flewelling will revisit things, too, like the death of Alec's father. Things aren't just swept under the rug and I appreciate that.

I also appreciate how Seregil and Alec's relationship isn't the focus of the story that unfortunately happens too much in romance, especially homoerotica. The book is more dedicated to the story and in doing so, makes their relationship realistic and believable.

The biggest complaint I have is maki
Kirstine
The heartbreaking and thrilling conclusion to the story started in Luck in the Shadows, and whoo boy, does it not disappoint!

It has a little bit of everything: Necromancy, strange rituals to try and bring back evil gods, heartbreak, true love, heroic sacrifices and some good, good kisses.

Really, it's everything I wanted and so much more. It gives us the answer to the prophecy that has haunted the story since the first book, and the answer is... not excellent. In fact it broke my heart. Very, ve
Igor Ljubuncic
I just realized I forgot to add a whole bunch of Lynn's books to my shelf. WTF!

This is my favorite Alec & Seregil book; also the first one I read; also the one I read the most. Probably a good solid dozen times, if not more. It has all the right ingredients. A noble rogue, an innocent coming-of-age youth with a hidden streak of a rake, all sorts of sex, an ancient evil with some rather disgusting elements, magic, both good and dark and twisted, proper chase and adventure, warfare that is rea
Fatima
Mar 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kathryn
Mar 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I can sum this up in essentially the same way I did with Luck: They have lots of adventures and kick lots of butt. And they also fall in love with each other, but Seregil has a crisis of conscience because Alec is still pretty young, and Alec is just plain confused by what he feels for Seregil, so neither of them say anything.

Saying anymore than that would spoil it if you haven't read it, really.

There's no real social commentary going on with the two main characters falling for each other, unl
Ayanna
I'm guilty of breaking off in the middle of reading and coming back to this one a lot later.

It made reading awkward. I was no longer into the whole intrigue thing and just waiting for Alec and Seregil to become lovers.

Still, I kind of got back into the whole web of intrigue that was happening. It's exceedingly well-crafted. I like that it's not so explicit I can't walk around with this and not be afraid some kid might accidentally read over my shoulder or pick this up.

Welp. Onto bk 3...
Nancy
Jan 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy, lgbt
This is the second installment in the Nightrunner series, and I enjoyed it even more than the first. Lord Seregil of Rhiminee and his apprentice, Alec of Kerry continue their undercover work, meet a new circle of friends, and get embroiled in a new set of adventures and intrigue. The characterization is excellent and the story continues to be riveting. A series well worth reading!
Claudia
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, m-m, lgbt
a great second book! I loved every second of it and I am happy about the relationship development

loved it
Devann
This is probably more of a 3.5 but I did like it a lot more than the first one so I decided to round up. Also I literally stopped in the middle of reading it to go read fanfic instead and as I've said before, in my backwards-ass mind that means I really like it lol.

I am still mildly creeped out by the age difference, but so far it's not like ...I mean it's the end of the 2nd book and they've literally JUST kissed at maybe the 90% mark so it's not as creepy as if I was reading, say ...an Anne Ri
Fey
Aug 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed
I enjoyed this second part, much better than the first book in the nightrunner series.
I believe I was let down by the first book because I wasn't at all drawn in by Seregil's character, he appeared too perfect to me; he had fame, money, knowledge, skills, charisma, good looks, loyal friends etc. It seemed nothing could go wrong for this character, he was too well set up. And poor Alec was continually left behind by Seregil, I always feel resentful when a main character in a book is blinded to th
Gabi
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second book is better than the first one, and I already loved that.

The story is much stronger here. Hints from the first book are woven into an exciting plot that starts as a spy story and then dives deeply into necromancing mystery.

The relationships Lynn Flewelling writes about are very human and caring. It is difficult to not feel for Alec, Seregil, Nysander, Micum, Beka – and even Thero (especially Thero), as each of them embark on their own outer and inner journey. I smiled an
Jesse
I thought that the story of Alec and Seregil couldn't possibly get any better than in the first installment (Luck in the Shadows) but man...Stalking Darkness was all that, and ten times stronger.

I read the last two hundred pages all at once, unable to put it down, not wanting to do anything else until I finished the book, and at the same time never wanting it to end. I already have the third book right here next to me, and I'll waste no time in diving into it.

(view spoiler)
Ingenue
Nov 27, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ok srsly guys, who took my homoerotic devil-may-care caperfic and replaced it with melodramatic fantasy yaoi? D: D: And I have nothing AGAINST fantasy yaoi melodrama, I am all FOR melodramatic fantasy yaoi; but I need mental preparation for the shift from "We are snarky lovable rogues who steal things and touch each other in good dirty ways!" to "We are in secret ethereally beautiful, angstily immortal elves with magically prophesied destinies who weep as we kiss in the moonlight, stroking each ...more
Mimei
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yes
I AM SO INVESTED.
Soukyan Blackwood
It’s a long book, as I said. The start of it is so different from the middle, and the end, that I can’t describe it in earnest without spoiling the living hell out of it. What I can say is that while slow paced it was intense, and had the edge-of-the-chair moments by the handful. Descriptions are down a notch, so it’s easier to read. But be aware, it is a mistake to think this is a light goodnight read. It’s too hard to put it aside for it to be a good bed companion. I’ll give it a full 5 out of ...more
Philip
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book continues with all the best parts of Luck in the Shadows. Alec, Seregil, Micum, Nysander and everyone continue to be amazing, for the most part.

Most of the plot that was built up in the first book but not finished there is resolved in this one. As it's all starting to come together, the writing does a fantastic job of building the tension and giving feelings of impending doom without the excessive obviousness or clumsyness of some stories/movies. Then about two thirds in it takes a sha
Holly
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW I LOVED THIS. I found the first half a little slow going but I think that might have been the fault of a gross heatwave I was suffering through as opposed to the book. I am so done with how happy drama queen Seregil and blushing confused Alec make me. The last chapter surely has to be up there with some of the best last chapters I've ever read - here was my initial reaction c&p'd from Twitter...

Seregil's emotions, Alec's helplessness, ALEC TACKLING HIM TO THE GROUND AND SHOWING HIM HOW S
˗ˏˋ eg ˎˊ˗
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: [SCREAMS INTO HANDS]

I LOVED THIS x2!!!!!! All of the problems that I had with the first book were fixed!! I'm so happy!! the plot was tighter, the characters/ world were more established, which meant that I spent less time wondering who people were or where in the world they were, and the pacing was so much faster. Also!! the pining in this book left me for dead... I am dead right now! bless!!!
Noah
It's been approximately 10 minutes since I finished Luck in the Shadows, and here I am, immediately starting book 2....

6/24: I finished the book and my emotions are spinning like crazy and I cried a lot and yelled a lot and it was just really good okay. Don't expect a proper review for this one because it's just gonna be me screaming the entire time. if you liked the first one, you'll like this one. That's all I have to say that isn't just AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
Randall Krekelberg
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
Torn between 4.5 and 5 stars...

Need to let it sit for a bit I think lol. Either way this was an amazing installment that completely surpassed all of my high expectations (although maybe a little slow to start). I just really love that we finally have a story where the main characters are gay but are not gimmicky, stereotypical, or defined by their sexuality (which is often the case). This is a relationship that is completely interchangable with any other type out there which is exactly how it sh
rin 눈_눈 WATCH GOOD OMENS
lowkey slower than i wanted to but i enjoyed it anyway

also the pining is finally over, amen
Kayla
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq, sff
this book slaughtered me and then revived me and then almost murdered me again, thanks lynn flewelling
Charlotte
Feb 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review is for the first three volumes of the Nightrunner Series, it does however exclude the following volumes, which in my opinion differ strongly from the first 3.

I realise I find it hard to start writing a review for these books. The first three volumes of the Nightrunner Series are definately part of my favorite books ever. Within the genre of fantasy, they set such high standarts that many other books appear shallow beside them. The books are full of great and often innovative plot ide
fleurette
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I read it immediately after reading the first book in the series because I couldn't stop myself from doing so. I believe it was even better than the previous book.

The story was as grabbing and full of action as the first one. But the thing that I really liked was the building relationship between Seregil and Alec. They were finally trying to deal with they feelings. I still wouldn't call it MM Romance but it was definitely an interesting addition to the plot. Though, maybe, just maybe, I have e
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Stalking the Darkness [Aug 15, 2018] 25 22 Sep 04, 2018 05:56AM
Does this book deserve such high ratings? 1 33 Dec 04, 2016 02:05AM
Goodreads Librari...: This edition is all mixed up 7 33 Jul 27, 2015 09:47PM

• Lord of the White Hell, Book 2 (Lord of the White Hell, #2)
  • The Virtu (Doctrine of Labyrinths, #2)
  • The Land of Night (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #3)
  • The Archer's Heart
  • Dream (Aisling Trilogy, #2)
  • The Fire's Stone
  • Bound (Kria, #2)
  • A Strong and Sudden Thaw (A Strong and Sudden Thaw, #1)
  • Strange Fortune
  • The God Eaters
  • Point of Dreams (Astreiant, #3)
Born Lynn Elizabeth Beaulieu.

Nightrunner (7 books)
  • Luck in the Shadows
  • Traitor's Moon (Nightrunner, #3)
  • Shadows Return (Nightrunner, #4)
  • The White Road (Nightrunner, #5)
  • Casket of Souls (Nightrunner, #6)
  • Shards of Time (Nightrunner, #7)
“You always have a choice. Don't ever imagine you don't. Whatever you do, it's a decision and you have to accept responsibility for it. That's when honor becomes more than empty words.” 53 likes
“So I might have to marry Alec when I'm grown," Illia was prattling across to Seregil. "I hope that won't hurt your feelings too much."

Seregil slapped a hand over his heart like a troubadour in a mural. "Ah, fair maiden, I shall slay a thousand evil dragons for you, and lay their steaming black livers at your dainty feet, if only you will restore me to your favor."

"Livers!" Illia buried her face against Alec's shoulder with an outraged giggle.
"You wouldn't bring me livers, would you, Alec?"

"Of course not," Alec scoffed. "What a disgusting present. I'd bring you the eyeballs for a necklace, and all their scaly pointed tongues to tie your braids with.”
48 likes