Start by marking “Desperate Measures (A Fair Prospect, #3)” as Want to Read:
Desperate Measures (A Fair Prospect, #3)

Desperate Measures

(A Fair Prospect #3)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  197 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
A Fair Prospect is a story inspired by Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice.

(Please note: this is one story told across three volumes and there is, therefore, no conclusion to the storylines in the first two volumes. This story is rated PG)

Volume III, Desperate Measures, concludes the story begun in Disappointed Hopes (Vol I) and continued in Darcy's Dilemma (Vol II).

Reelin
Published June 1st 2013

To ask other readers questions about Desperate Measures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Desperate Measures

Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
A Compelling and Captivating Trilogy!

TYPE OF AUSTENESQUE NOVEL: Pride and Prejudice Variation in 3 Volumes

TIME FRAME: 9 days after Darcy’s first proposal to 16 days after Darcy’s first proposal (the whole trilogy is a span of 16 days!)

MAIN CHARACTERS: Elizabeth Bennet. Fitzwilliam Darcy, Jane Bennet, Charles Bingley, Colonel Fitzwilliam, Georgiana Darcy, Mr. and Mrs. Gardiner, Nicholas Harington (new original character), Serena Seavington (new original character)

WHY I WANTED TO READ THIS SERIES:
Sheila Majczan
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I just finished reading this third volume last night...for the second time. I wanted it fresh in my mind so that I didn't mix this book up with any of myriad other JAFF books I have read. I did, also, read all the reviews. I am not going to repeat the story line as others have addressed such.

This third volume was the most interesting for me. Partly, of course, because the couple finally sorted out all their misunderstanding and got together. But I enjoy JAFF most when there is angst and sexual t
Katherine
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing conclusion to this amazing 3 part novel! Will Serena's arrival in town clear up misunderstandings or will it complicate matters further? What happens when Elizabeth finally realizes she loves Darcy believing he is indifferent to her after Wickhams inward with her family? What despair Darcy feels when he believes Elizabeth is lost to him forever? How the misunderstanding that keeps the two apart is solved is beautifully written! One of my favorite Pride and prejudice variations!
Janet
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Serena, Mrs, Gardiner's half-sister, makes her appearance in the beginning of Volume III. It is a pleasure to learn more about her as she and Lizzy have much talking and catching up to do.

Darcy and Colonel Fitzwilliam pay an unexpected visit to Longbourn and Mr. Bennet. The time for Wickham's true nature to be revealed has arrived. Mr. Bennet, having received a letter from Elizabeth the day before concerning the same, now has many questions to put to the gentlemen. I enjoyed the ensuing dialog a
J. W. Garrett
Volume lll: Desperate Measures: 3-stars: ends at 100%

“There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people.” –Heinz Guderian

Kill me now!! I am so angry with this story. The angst was drawn out until the 90% mark before ODC [our dear couple] straightened out their differences. I-wanted-time-with-D&E and I didn’t get it!!! This was a maze/labyrinth full of hits and misses, twists, turns and switchbacks, roadblocks and dead-ends. The range of misunderstandings was maddening. I wou
Patricia
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
After reading all three I felt I should write how much I enjoyed this series. I actually would have worked well as a single, much longer book because each story just continues from where the previous book left off. The beginning of each new book starts off like a new chapter instead of a new thought or story, and the entire three-part series takes place in a two-week time period. Thankfully, I discovered these books after all three had been published.

It was a well-written trilogy, which goes in
Juliana
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Book #3 (and final book) in A FAIR PROSPECT SERIES

By FAR the best Pride and Prejudice variation. She manages to stay true to the characters and writing style, and references back to the original are not forced. The writing is good and it stands on its own, unlike many P&P books.

I do need to point out that it is three books that tell one story. You need to read all three or the story will feel unfinished.

It takes place right after Elizabeth has refused him. And then, instead of separating the
Elmo
I loved all three books, though the first one is at times a bit slow, but from the moment Elizabeth is in London, it's really interesting. I felt so sorry for Darcy the whole time, especially at the end of part two. Luckily, it's P&P, so we know everything will be allright in the end! I loved the ending, the scene under the tree was very romantic!
I do have to say that I don't understand why the author published this in three books. It could have been just one, it would have been thick, but n
Jennifer Johnson
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jane-austen
"The stunning conclusion to Grafton's trilogy delivers on all of the promises from the first two volumes, and was well worth the wait!"

To read more of Inspired by Austen's review, visit http://inspiredbyausten.com/pride-and...
Sandra
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Favorite of all three in the series and loved the torture of the complications and misunderstandings between my beloved characters.
Amanda Moore
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
it good love see all books for it
Kim
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this series and didn't want it to end. Great epilogue as well.
Carol Perrin
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A Fair Prospect: Desperate Measures

This is Book 3 of the series by Cassandra Grafton. Elizabeth returns home from the ball sad and miserable. She's sure she'll never see Darcy again and is upset. She realizes that she longs to be with him and have his good opinion. She feels she lost him and is morose. She figures that is why he left the ball after she told him about Wickham, and he wants nothing to do with her or her family. Serena has arrived to greet Elizabeth. They eventually must talk about
Susan Sheftic
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great ending of a trilogy!

I really enjoyed this set of books! The author is a very talented writer and had a very passionate story to tell with lots of angst (three books of it)! I loved that there were no real villains just misunderstandings and that Caroline Bingley and Wickham did not have big parts in this set of books. I will gladly read any future books this author writes!
Lynda
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this.
Candy
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: austenesque
Wow! I LOVED this story! Desperate Measures is the third and the last of the A Fair Prospect trilogy. I have enjoyed all three of them!

After being left with a big cliffhanger in Darcy’s Dilemma, Darcy and Elizabeth are under new misunderstandings, and they both go their separate ways - sure the other never wants to see them again. But fate would have it’s way once more, and they are thrown together again, when they both end up in Bath.

Lady Catherine and Anne are also in Bath. I really like thi
Tara
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't resist the desire to go back to this delightful series by Cassandra Grafton. The story is just as beautiful and satisfying the second time around. The attention to detail is exquisite - allowing me to feel as if I was visiting the various locations in England along with the characters. The deep insight into the internal conflicts and emotions of Darcy and Elizabeth make the resolution at the end all the more powerful. The dialogue made me laugh, the emotions brought me to tears and th ...more
Toni NB
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: regency-romance
I really mean 4.5 stars.

I really enjoyed this series, one of the best that I've read. It felt rushed towards the end, and the tone & writing style seemed different from the previous two books. It seemed more casual at times. But thoroughly enjoyed, esp Nicholas & Serena.

January 4, 2016: rereading this great P&P fanfic.
What possessed me to only give 4 stars?! Changed it to 5 stars. So sad to see this series end. I hope for a SEQUEL!
Susan
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: austenesque, epub-s
The conclusion of the trilogy A Fair Prospect a Pride and Prejudice variation. After hearing of Elizabeth's engagement to Harrington, Darcy leaves with hus sister and the Colonel to Bath to hopefully start getting over his disappointment. Elizabeth also low in spirits journeys to Bath with the Harrington family. Have feeling changed or is it too late for Darcy and Elizabeth?
Nina Judson
Apr 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Good ending. Pleased.
Kimberly
Jun 21, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, but overall felt that the series could have been condensed into on book.

Still, a lovely read. Look forward to reading more from the author.
Dawn
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
a good end to the trilogy. I was not disappointed in the story. Now I must look for my next P&P variation to read.
E Jeanette
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Bluebells in the Mourning
  • Rumours & Recklessness: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Mr. Darcy’s Noble Connections
  • The Future Mrs. Darcy (Given Good Principles, #2)
  • When They Fall in Love: Darcy and Elizabeth in Italy
  • Mr. Darcy Came to Dinner
  • Mr. Darcy's Rival
  • Mr. Darcy's Promise
  • The Houseguest A Pride and Prejudice Vagary
  • Loving Miss Darcy (Brides of Pemberley, #2)
  • He Taught Me to Hope (Darcy and the Young Knight's Quest #1)

A Fair Prospect (3 books)
  • Disappointed Hopes (A Fair Prospect, #1)
  • Darcy's Dilemma (A Fair Prospect, #2)