Start by marking “The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches (Flavia de Luce, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches (Flavia de Luce, #6)

The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches (Flavia de Luce #6)

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  19,053 Ratings  ·  2,933 Reviews
On a spring morning in 1951, eleven-year-old chemist and aspiring detective Flavia de Luce gathers with her family at the railway station, awaiting the return of her long-lost mother, Harriet. Yet upon the train's arrival in the English village of Bishop's Lacey, Flavia is approached by a tall stranger who whispers a cryptic message into her ear.

Moments later, he is dead,
Hardcover, First Edition, 315 pages
Published January 14th 2014 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches, please sign up.

Connie D I agree with Sue. There are actually a lot of characters in this book that are more meaningful if you've met them before in the other books. They're…moreI agree with Sue. There are actually a lot of characters in this book that are more meaningful if you've met them before in the other books. They're all quick reads (or listens), and you won't be wasting your time.(less)
Kathleen Yes, the title does come from a poem, "A Night-Piece on Death" by Thomas Parnell. The author provides the reader with a stanza from the poem, before…moreYes, the title does come from a poem, "A Night-Piece on Death" by Thomas Parnell. The author provides the reader with a stanza from the poem, before the title page of the book. After finishing this book it is worth reading the entire poem, which reminds me of Ozymandias, and also includes this line:
"By all the solemn heaps of fate,
And think, as softly-sad you tread
Above the venerable dead,
'Time was, like thee they life possessed,
And time shall be, that thou shalt rest'."
(less)

Jeffrey Keeten
Sep 10, 2016 Jeffrey Keeten rated it really liked it
”The Marble Tombs that rise on high,
Whose Dead in vaulted Arches lye,
Whose Pillars swell with sculptur’d Stones,
Arms, Angels, Epitaphs and Bones,
These (all the poor Remains of States)
Adorn the Rich, or praise the Great;
Who while on Earth in Fame they live,
Are senseless of the Fame they give.”

Thomas Parnell,
A Night-Piece on Death (1721)

Alan Bradley must spend a good deal of time combing the dusty poetic tombs of libraries to find the archaic titles for this book series. Whenever a new Flavia bo
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Rating = 3.5 stars

In which the mystery is solved surrounding the disappearance of Flavia's mother during World War II. Also in which Alan Bradley prepares to take the series in an entirely new direction. This is a wise move. Life at Buckshaw is growing stale, and it's time for Flavia to take her chemistry skills out into the wide world. After all, she is almost twelve years old, and beginning to show signs of growing up.

This works best as a just-for-fun sort of read. I thought the mystery and i
Janet
I spend a year waiting for it and a day reading it. From the first Flavia mystery five years ago, I have been hooked. The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches did not disappoint. There is so much I wish I could say about it, but won't for fear I will give something away. I will say this, after reading the first lines I said to myself, "I knew it! But I didn't know it. I didn't know the half of it.

Just as Bradley has done in each of the Flavia books as they progress, he brings us deeper into the lives an
Kristine
Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for providing a copy in exchange for an honest review.

4.5 stars!

I adore this series. The character of Flavia, the complexity and layers of the relationships, the setting, the players, the word craft, etc. In book #5 for the first time Mr. Bradley left us with a cliffhanger, and with book #6 we are treated to a roller coaster ride.

It's almost as if everything that was creating an undercurrent of tension is blown wide open. It did feel like the last few book
Miss M
As much as I love Flavia, there's just no plot in this one, just a lot of needlessly convoluted, attempted exposition of past events in the series.
Stacey
Feb 05, 2014 Stacey rated it it was amazing
In the 6th novel, redacted, redacted, redacted. We get some answers, a whole lot more questions, and a little bit of heartbreak. Also, I might be a tiny bit in love with Dogger. There's really nothing I can say that wouldn't be spoilery, except that the only bad thing about a Flavia book is waiting a whole year for the next one.
Jillian
Mar 24, 2013 Jillian rated it really liked it
Mr. Bradley, while your first four Flavia novels were fantastic, I can't believe you left us with a cliff-hanger at the end of #5! Speaking from Among the Bones was wonderful. Very much looking forward to #6. Thanks for a great series!
Kaethe
The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches There's two different stories going on here: in one, Flavia is trying to find out about her mother, missing, presumed dead, since the girl was an infant. The other is a modern mystery about someone going under a train. The first is fascinating, somewhat implausible in resolution, but a deeply satisfying look at family dynamics and the mysteries of one's parents. The other is solved without much detective work on anyone's part, least of all Flavia's, and is even m ...more
Linette
May 15, 2010 Linette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, Flavia. Such intelligence and determination in a young girl make you dangerous - not to mention your fascination with poisons and chemistry. I probably wouldn't like you so much if it wasn't for your huge sense of fun and adventure, combined with how lost and alone you seem in your stiff-upper-lip world living in the decaying family home in your little English village.

There is nobody quite like you. Probably a good thing, actually. Still, I can't wait until I get to spend some more time wit
Nancy
Feb 01, 2014 Nancy rated it it was ok
While I think this must be the weakest of the series (even moreso than the christmas one) - I hesitate to give it a 1 as typically a 1 means I really despise a book.

This book was weak, in plot and characterization and resolution. So weak, in fact, that I cannot muster up enough aggravation to give the book the 1 that the overall weakness deserves.

Characters added, with little to no characterization and that did nothing to advance the plot; established characters that had little or nothing to do
Rebecca Foster
I shy away from genre fiction, spurn series, and tire quickly of child narrators – and yet I find the Flavia de Luce novels positively delightful. Bradley’s quaintly authentic mysteries are set at Buckshaw, a crumbling country manor house in 1950s England, where the titular eleven-year-old heroine performs madcap chemistry experiments and solves small-town murders. Flavia may be spiky and snotty – especially to her two older sisters, the one boy-crazy (Feely, or Ophelia) and the other book-obses ...more
Larry Bassett
Oct 31, 2014 Larry Bassett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, kindle
Two of my GR friends who are mystery aficionados highly recommend this series about a precocious preteen girl. I am advised that this is a series that is best read in order to get the most out of it. However, my free online e-book library only had this sixth available so I start here on my trusty Kindle. The idea is that if I like it, I will retreat to the first of the series and try to interest my eleven year old daughter. I had to stumble through the first chapters due to the absence of charac ...more
Beth Cato
Dec 09, 2013 Beth Cato rated it it was amazing
I adore the Flavia de Luce series. I received an Advanced Reader Copy of book #5 a year ago and screeched out loud at the excruciating cliffhanger ending. I have been counting down the months until the next book's release. I was ecstatic to be approved for the ARC of The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches via NetGalley.

To sum up the series: Flavia is an 11-year-old with a passion for poison and chemistry. She lives on an isolated British estate with her eccentric father and two teenage sisters. World
☮Karen
Sep 18, 2013 ☮Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-media-mall
I have to admit that I read #1 and #2 in the series and then took a giant leap to this one #6, because I won a preview copy of #7 coming out in 2015, which I'll soon need to review. So I know I committed the ultimate faux pas, and maybe someday I'll go back to the others, but in the meantime I'm so glad to have read this. No regrets.
Flavia and her family are top of their game here. Her mother's body comes home for burial finally, and Flavia's curiosity about her and the family history leads her
Ash
Feb 13, 2013 Ash rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love every book in this series so much, if I have a daughter I'm going to convince my husband to let me name her Flavia.
Brooke
Jan 01, 2016 Brooke rated it really liked it
I don't think I'll ever dislike a Flavia de Luce book. The Dead In Their Vaulted Arches was beautifully written like the other books in the series. I did feel that this particular one was sadder for reasons I can't say because of spoilers; but I really felt sorry for Flavia and saw more in this book her small age of just eleven; which was nice because her demeanor is years ahead.
Anne Sawyer
Taking too long. Write two!
Aleshanee
Jan 03, 2016 Aleshanee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: histor-krimi
4.5 Sterne

Meine Meinung

Jetzt bin ich tatsächlich schon beim sechsten Band der Reihe angelangt und immer noch genauso fasziniert von der 11jährigen Protagonistin Flavia de Luce wie von dem einnehmenden Schreibstil des Autors Alan Bradley.

Ich möchte nicht viel auf den Inhalt eingehen, um keine Überraschung vorneweg zu nehmen - denn hier geht es dieses Mal nicht einfach um einen "profunden" Mord, an dem Flavia zufällig Zeuge wird, sondern um ein uraltes Familiengeheimnis, das endlich die vielen Fr
Shannon
Sue
I won a copy of "The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches" Flavia de Luce, #6 by Alan Bradley through the Goodreads Giveaway Contest. Once again in this cozy British mystery, Flavia entertains us once again.

This novel is slightly different than the other novels in the series. The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches is more about grief and family relationships than solving a mystery. There is a murder and mysteries to solve, but Flavia is almost twelve now. She begins to cross that threshold from childhood int
Ellinor
Dec 03, 2012 Ellinor rated it it was amazing
I still remember that I was very reluctant to start reading my first Flavia de Luce book several years ago. At the time I was kind of fed up with cozy mysteries, the German title (Mord im Gurkenbeet - Murder in the Cucumber Bed) didn't appeal to me at all and the cover looked like an Addams-family wannabe. Then my library had a copy of it and I decided to take a look and then maybe finish after a few pages. I'm more than glad I took this step: I was hooked from the first page. It seemed like Fla ...more
Caroline
Oct 24, 2013 Caroline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After the crazy cliffhanger ending of Speaking from Among the Bones, I could not wait to get my hands on this! Finally some answers to some of the mysteries surrounding both of Flavia de Luce's parents and their history during WWII. There are plenty of de Luce secrets uncovered throughout these pages, the most intriguing of course being there's even more to learn about the mysterious Harriet de Luce, who has really been the biggest question mark in the series as a whole.

This was fabulous with th
Vicki
Jul 02, 2013 Vicki rated it it was amazing
An eventful and illuminating entry in the series, and probably my favorite since the debut. Go, Flavia!
Steph
Feb 27, 2014 Steph rated it really liked it
As much as I love Buckshaw, I look forward to the new adventures! Please let there be new adventures Mr. Bradley!
Tiffany
Feb 04, 2017 Tiffany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the 6th novel of the series, things are forever changed in many ways at Buckshaw. This one was just as good as the first 5 however it was a little sad too. Can't wait to start books 7.
Rowan
Mar 21, 2014 Rowan rated it it was ok
Nikki
Jul 09, 2015 Nikki rated it did not like it
Received to review via Netgalley

Very late, I know; I have to be in the right mood to read this series, which is the only excuse I can think to offer. Unfortunately, with this book, I couldn’t even get into it when I was in the mood, because it feels like it’s well and truly jumped the shark. It’s always been a bit of a ridiculous series, and I accept that, but this one was just too much. The whole idea Flavia had about resurrecting her mother was just… Flavia is a precocious little thing with so
Barbara
Oct 25, 2013 Barbara rated it liked it
Twelve-year-old Flavia de Luce and her family are at the train station awaiting the return of her long missing mother when a mysterious man gives Flavia a cryptic message for her father. Before long the man is dead, his mutilated body lying under the train. Thus begins a Flavia de Luce novel that is more of an espionage story than a murder mystery.

Nevertheless, Flavia is up to her usual tricks in this book, cooking up exotic chemical experiments to reanimate the dead and to decipher hidden mess
Stacia
Jan 31, 2014 Stacia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2014
This is one of the few series of books that I have read. (Generally, I much prefer stand-alone novels.) Yet, the Flavia books are so fun & enticing, I've read all of them.

Alan Bradley does not disappoint in this one. I'm not sure if it is the last Flavia book or not -- a long time ago, I read that there were six books slated for this series. (I do hope he will continue Flavia's adventures....)

The characters & story arc have grown throughout the series & I think Bradley saved the bes
Marie
Dec 25, 2013 Marie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, mystery, british
Thanks to Netgalley for this advanced copy.

Several things, without spoilers: Oh MY, I suppose I was an incurable optimist, but the things did not happen the way I thought they would based on the surprise ending of the last book. On the whole, I absolutely adored this book - Flavia continues to be a well-rounded, sensitively portrayed character - so intelligent, so Other, and yet always so very much eleven (or is she twelve now?) The complicated family dynamics are endlessly interesting to me as
  • Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs, #6)
  • The Case of the Gypsy Good-Bye (Enola Holmes, #6)
  • Dreaming Spies (Mary Russell, #13)
  • Ten Lords A-Leaping (Father Christmas Mystery, #3)
  • Hunting Shadows (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #16)
  • A Stranger in Mayfair (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #4)
  • The Invisible Code (Bryant & May #10)
  • The Cruelest Month (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #3)

With an education in electronic engineering, Alan worked at numerous radio and television stations in Ontario, and at Ryerson Polytechnical Institute (now Ryerson University) in Toronto, before becoming Director of Television Engineering in the media centre at the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon, where
More about Alan Bradley...

Flavia de Luce (9 books)
  • The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce, #1)
  • The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag (Flavia de Luce, #2)
  • A Red Herring Without Mustard (Flavia de Luce, #3)
  • I Am Half-Sick of Shadows (Flavia de Luce, #4)
  • Speaking from Among the Bones (Flavia de Luce, #5)
  • As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust (Flavia de Luce, #7)
  • Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd (Flavia de Luce, #8)
  • The Grave's a Fine and Private Place (Flavia de Luce, #9)

“One of the marks of a truly great mind, I had discovered, is the ability to feign stupidity on demand.” 38 likes
“What are we going to do, Dogger?'
It seemed a reasonable question. After all he had been through, surely Dogger knew something of hopeless situations.
'We shall wait upon tomorrow,' he said.
'But--what if tomorrow is worse than today?'
'Then we shall wait upon the day after tomorrow.'
'And so forth?' I asked.
'And so forth,' Dogger said.”
25 likes