Start by marking “When It Rains (Rains, #1)” as Want to Read:
When It Rains (Rains, #1)

When It Rains (Rains #1)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  15,818 Ratings  ·  2,322 Reviews
One night changed my life forever.

Beau Bennett has been my best friend since I can remember. He was my first crush before everything came crashing down, and now he wants more, but it's more than I can give him. Things are different now. I wish I could tell him why, but I can't.

I haven’t told anyone.

I never knew how much I really needed him until the day he left for colleg
Published September 25th 2013

To ask other readers questions about When It Rains, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Christy
5 Amazing Stars!!!
 photo d717cd02-7c9e-440a-b8b8-0642f26f5896_zpsaf74fc2f.jpg

When it Rains is one of the most emotional, beautiful and heartbreaking books I have ever read. It captivated me from the very first page and I couldn’t put it down. This book moved me. I ugly cried big time while reading, but it was worth every tear.

I’m lost. I really have no idea where my life goes from here. I want to say it can’t get any worse, but I’ve thought that before and there always seems to be a hole to sing into. Some days I don’t even know if I can go on.
Mee
Alexis *Reality Bites*
SPOILER FREE REVIEW -mature content reader discretion is advised.
4.5STARS out of 5
Genre:New Adult Romance

photo 60ffb851-4327-4469-ad0e-0235f1279210_zpsaab0a313.jpg

Words cannot express.. I LOVED THIS BOOK! When it Rains is a book you read slowly while you savor the words written on each page. This was not an easy read I spent the majority of it in tears. So readers be sure to keep the Kleenex near.

‘I squeezed my eyes shut, feeling like I was drowning with no way to get to the surface. I’ve never felt such intense physical and emotional pain all at once
Aestas Book Blog

** FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED **

This is a 2-part review with 2-separate ratings depending on whether or not you are a fan of love triangles.

Overall, When It Rains  is a well-written, highly emotional story about love, loss and healing. It's gut-wrenchingly sad at times but also has many beautiful moments and is the kind of story that really make you feel.

But... this is going to be a very unconventional review...  (this kind of review is always so scary for me to write but honesty always comes first
Jennifer Kyle
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, cry-baby-books

description

I had no idea what was in store for me when Lisa De Jong offered me the opportunity to ARC this story. It’s nothing like her Hearts Series, this is an entirely different type of story which was for me completely unforgettable.

Please be warned…This story was heartbreaking. and I’m talking purchasing a full box of tissues and taking breather breaks during your read heartbreaking.

This is a standalone story which is told mostly in Kate the main character’s pov but we are treated to a chapter from bo
FIVE+++++++ Stars!!!

I'm going to need a moment to get over the heartache.
Review to come....

photo image_zpsb890bb71.jpg

I first would like to thank my beautiful friend, Jennifer Kyle, for recommending this book to me!!!
You ROCK girl!!! ❤❤❤

I have never, till this book, cried so hard that I couldn't breathe.
I stayed up till 3am this morning to finish it.
My eyes are two swollen puff bags.

This book "Floored" me from the Prologue!
I LOVED the heroine, Kate Alexander, and that doesn't happen a lot for me.
She's a beautiful 19 year
Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
*3.5 Stars*

I'm giving this book four stars because I feel the execution deserves it. The storyline itself did not grip me as I'd hoped, but that's due to my own personal preferences, and not the quality of the writing.

There were certain aspects of the plot that didn't sit well with me, namely the ending. And not for the obvious reason, but (view spoiler)

There is al
Aj the Ravenous Reader

“I think that’s the key to living a fulfilled life, having a reason or a purpose.”

Why do the most beautiful stories have to be so sad???

This book thought my heart was some clothing item to wash, to soak in soap and water then to wring it so hard and hang it raw to dry.

I’m usually always confident whenever I pick up any NA novel because I know it’s something I can easily handle emotion-wise and story-wise. But this novel is extra superlatively ultimate in exception and I wasn’t prepared at al
Lisa De Jong
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
On sale for $0.99 right now!

Amazon: http://amzn.to/2pJSMFo
Patrycja
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, reviewed

There is something magical and absolutely beautiful in books that can manipulate your emotions as well as change your heart. When every page is not only a part of the written story, but somewhere along, it’s starting to become a part of your reality. There is no better part of reading great story than being so tangled with it, that you ache, you cry and you’re happy for the fictional characters.

When It Rains has this amazing asset. It captivated me quickly with brutal honesty, raw ad gritty begi
warhawke
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who need to do some ugly crying
Genre: NA Contemporary Romance
Type: Standalone Book 1 of When It Rains series
POV: First Person - Female
Rating:

Kate Alexander and Beau Bennett had been best friends since they were kids. They told everything to each other until one day Kate had a secret she couldn’t part with. A secret that pulled her apart from everything that was good and changed their relationship.

Salvation came in the form of a new guy in town. Asher Hunt breathed new life into Kate. But he came with his own secret that c
Taryn

This is going to be hard…

I feel like the odd ball out for not falling madly deeply in love with this book. I was eager to read When it Rains but held off until all the hype died down surrounding it so I could go into it with a clear head. I’ve read the two prior works by this author and really enjoyed them, but this one fell so short. Honestly, I thought I would love it so imagine my disappointment once I finished. No matter what I did, I couldn’t connect or sympathize these characters
Michelle
4 stars for first half/ 3 Stars for the last half!
I'm really angry with this book! I loved it and hated it.

So it starts off pretty heavy with something horrible happening to Kate. Something that changes her life forever. Then we skip to two years later I believe. Kate has pushed everyone out of her life except for her best friend Beau and her mom. I get that Kate didn't want to tell anyone what happened to her. I get why she pushed all her friends away and even Beau. I felt like she would maybe
Pearl Angeli
"From now on... When it rains, think of me."

(Buddyreading this with my sis Bea)

I NEED A HUG. Can anyone just hold me while I curl up in a ball and keep sobbing now?

With all honesty, I don't know what to write in this review right at this very moment. I'm speechless. And I'm emotionally drained. But in a good way! :)

So let me start by saying that I am so glad to have read this book! I can't believe I've neglected it for months and just let it glued on my TBR. I didn't have any idea that this b
Anna
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing

So damn beautiful !!! I'm an emotional mess !!!!

5 beautiful stars !!

From now on .... When it rains .... Think of me
Lady Vigilante (Feifei)
Full review now posted.

Initial feelings after finishing the book
Usually when it rains, I like having an umbrella handy. After reading this? No. Nope. Scratch that. I NEED A FREAKING TARP. Cue the rain.

description

Final thoughts (after a 10-hour breather)

I am so bloody angry. Don’t get me wrong here; there are definitely moments where I cried (like the entire second half of the book), and scenes that nearly broke my heart, but the general consensus I got was anger. So since my feelings aren’t uniform,
Warda
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay, no. This book didn't work that well for me.
I wanted to ugly cry. I didn't ugly cry. Even though the storyline is tragic, it just felt dramatic and slightly over the top. 🙈
And cheesy, jesus.
The writing was too basic. The relationship developed too quickly for my liking and I didn't get the chance to fully get on board with it.
♔ Jaela ♊ Killer ⚔ QUEEN
Me before reading this book:

Look at all those great reviews and high ratings. I had my tissues near, prepared to cry and all.

Me after reading the book:

There were so many things wrong with this book. I cannot write a review without spoilers, so If you haven't read the book, do not continue to read.

Firstly I would like to say that I hate any kind of violence or abuse towards women. Whoever coward chooses to abuse or violate the helpless, has to be punished by law.
It is okay to have a crush on som
Kirsty
Sep 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
I think there is a right and a wrong way to do a love triangle.. (and dammit yes, this was a freaking triangle) unfortunately, for me, this was totally the wrong way.

Apparently I am in the minority here because everybody else on my Goodreads friends list absolutely loved this book. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it, but the ending pissed me off beyond belief and it made me feel like the rest of the book wasn't genuine and kind of a waste of my time. Yep, I'm mad.
"I hate him.
The old Kate is go
Alice
Dec 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-asap, favorites
Well, I am finally ready to write a review of this book.

Who am I kidding?! The truth is that I won't never be ready enough, but this story really deserves one, so, keep it together, Alice!

Only three books made me cry so hard that I couldn't even breathe: Me Before You, Allegiant and now we have another lucky one, ladies. This book.

Kate and Beau have been bestfriends since she moved to Carrington when she was five.

"What's your name?" he finally asks.
"Kate" I say, shielding the sun from m
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
3.5 - 4 ★'s

Kate's had your fairly happy childhood, growing up with her best friend, Beau, who lives next door. But everything changes one night and it's something she feels she cannot tell another soul, not even her best friend and she pushes everyone away until she is all alone. That is, until Asher shows up.

Wow...this is not a book for the faint of heart. This book is intense and heavy and will make you bawl like a little baby.

There are two very heavy events in the book, both of them equally
Rag
5 "Rainy" Stars

photo image_zps259471e6.jpg

This is the most heart-breaking, tear-falling, and most beautiful story I've ever read. It's a story about finding yourself, second chances, and what does it really mean to live?

Kate was the girl who had her life all planed out. She was the good-girl, good-grades kinda girl. She was on the track team and she had lots of friends. But everything can change in an instant. Just like how Kate's life changed in a very rainy day.

“The old Kate is gone . . . and she’s never coming back.
Lise *friends don't flag*
4 Big raindrop sized stars!

description

“From now on . . .” kiss. “When it rains . . .” kiss. “Think of me.”

This one had me swooning, cringing, smiling and crying. This is a well written and beautifully played out story of a young woman who overcomes a life-changing event through the love of two young men. It is not a love triangle in the traditional sense, but to me there was always three in this love story-Kate, Beau and Asher.

Kate and Beau have been best friends forever. They went to school together, pl
This was a NA contemporary story about a girl who had been raped.

I felt quite sorry for Kate in this, having to deal with being raped and feeling like you can’t tell anyone can’t be easy, and it was clear how much it had affected her.

The storyline in this was about Kate’s best friend Beau (who wanted to be more than her friend) leaving for college, and Kate falling in love with a new guy in town called Asher. I did find this a little strange at first though as Kate seemed to almost forget Beau,
Kristal Kitap
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Daha önce Benim Uzak Yıldızım kitabı için, Go! Kitabın şu ana kadar en iyi kitabı olduğunu söylemiştim. Lafımı geri alıyorum. Yağmur Yağarken ondan çok daha müthiş, çok daha iyi ve çok daha mükemmeldi. Tarif edilemez bir kitap. Hem yüreğimi ezip geçen, hem de acılarımı dindirmek için yaralarımı öpen bir kitaptı.

Kitap benim için 3 bölümden oluşuyor. Şu resimde olduğu gibi, ilk işarete kadar olan yere kadar, üzücü. Sonrası gördüğünüz gibi kalbimi çalan yerler. Bir ara işaret koymaktan okuyamayacağ
Jessica's Book Review
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
Read more reviews | Find Me on Facebook

description

I am in a complete and utter mess right now. I just finished reading When It Rains and wanted to rush and write my review right away because I had so much going in my head about this book. My mind & emotions are ALL OVER the place and that is a WONDERFUL thing. Be prepared for tissues, lots and lots of tissues! This story is heart-wrenching, heartbreaking, full of emotions that you won't be able to just walk away from these characters. I don't rememb
Jacqueline's Reads
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
5 Melt your breath away stars

I’ve put When it Rains on the back burner because it’s a love triangle read, but I was forced to read it and let me say this…

I’M SO GLAD I DID!!!!

The emotions this book made me feel…

Crazy, Intense, Angst, Heart-break, Happy

In one day Kate’s life is changed dramatically. Her best friend Beau doesn’t know where his fun loving best friend went, but he’s desperate to get her back. When Beau leaves for college Kate is trying to move forward with her life, but can’t leave
Dilinna
Mar 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Whenever your friends write in a review...a lot of ugly crying was involved while reading this book ..jst knw u are going to cry so hard.....i knew i would but still,it was soo gut wrenching!

So this is me right now at 4:35am all cried out running on no sleep and hoping my eyes wont be swollen after sleeping so i dont have to start explaining hw i was crying over a book.

Spoilers ahead pls

For the first 50% this book pissed me off honestly...insta love and a love triangle...someone save me from thi
Hanne
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Something horrible happened to Kate a few years ago and she hasn’t been the same woman since. She never told anyone about it. Her best friend, Beau, didn’t understand why she changed, but he didn’t give up on her. Beau now has to leave for college, but not before admitting his feelings for her. Kate loves Beau, but not in the same way and she doesn’t want to hold him back.

Kate is even more lost when her best friend leaves, until one day Asher walks into the diner where she works as a waitress. A
Beatrice Masaluñga
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Beatrice by: Aj the Ravenous Reader
I have to sit for minutes and think about what will I write on my review. Honestly, I'm numb. I don't know where will I start because this is one book that gives you that heavy feeling and will make your eyes puffy from crying. I swear I need a BIG HUG. My goodness.

When It Rains is a beautiful, heart wrenching masterpiece. This review isn't enough to express all my sentiments. This isn't an ordinary new adult novel. I dare you guys to read this one and have some boxes of tissues beside you, as w
Dilek VT
No no no... I would have never started this book if I had known what it involved.

I know everyone's triggers may differ. For some, it is cheating and for others, it is love-triangle. But I guess some issues like rape, pédophilie or death are bound to be mentioned about as a major trigger at all times.

Personally, I can cope with some ugly issues but please, pretty please warn me if you see me reading a book that involves one of these:

1. Cancer
2. Death of one or more of the main characters
3. BDSM /
Crazy For NA Books: When It Rains (Rains #1), by Lisa De Jong -> Start Date: September 2, 2017 10 6 Sep 06, 2017 01:38PM
The ending? 5 132 Jan 13, 2017 06:37PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: When It Rains (Rains #1) by Lisa De Jong - Starting November 8th 2016 23 98 Nov 08, 2016 06:15AM
Young Adult Conte...: When it Rains by Lisa DeJong - Staring January 1,2016 83 29 Jan 07, 2016 10:00AM
it stole by breath 4 63 Jun 24, 2015 12:58AM
Crybaby 4 76 Jun 22, 2014 04:50PM
  • Present Perfect (Perfect, #1)
  • Therapy (Therapy #1)
  • Arsen: A Broken Love Story
  • His Wounded Light (The Light in the Wound, #2)
  • In the Fields
  • The Final Piece
  • Irreversible Damage (Irreparable #2)
  • Ambrosia (Book Boyfriend, #2)
  • Catch Me
  • What's Left of Me (What's Left of Me, #1)
  • Into the Light (Chosen Paths, #1)
  • Ruining You (Ruining, #2)
  • A Little Too Far (A Little Too Far, #1)
  • Against All Odds (Against, #1)
  • A Cry for Hope (Hope, #1)
  • The Complete Emi Lost & Found Series (Lost & Found, #0.5-#3)
  • Unbreakable (Unbreakable, #1)
  • The Last Hour (Thompson Sisters, #4)

Rains (3 books)
  • Changing Forever (Rains, #2)
  • Living with Regret (Rains, #3)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $1.99
“When it rain, think of me. I'll be your umbrella, Kate. I'll be your barrier from the storm, when life gets too heavy. Don't let the storm wash you away. Allow it to nourish new life.” 169 likes
“When it rains, Kate. Remember me.” 123 likes