Start by marking “A History of Glitter and Blood” as Want to Read:
A History of Glitter and Blood

A History of Glitter and Blood

Sixteen-year-old Beckan and her friends are the only fairies brave enough to stay in Ferrum when war breaks out. Now there is tension between the immortal fairies, the subterranean gnomes, and the mysterious tightropers who arrived to liberate the fairies.

But when Beckan's clan is forced to venture into the gnome underworld to survive, they find themselves tentatively for
Published August 18th 2015 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about A History of Glitter and Blood, please sign up.
Sheila Loosevelt Scrap is mostly just described as being short. Besides his glitter color, I don't think there's any description of him (other than the drawing) (also…moreScrap is mostly just described as being short. Besides his glitter color, I don't think there's any description of him (other than the drawing) (also he's the narrator so he probably wouldn't be good at describing himself) (also he's missing an arm, but that's pretty obvious). I think Josha is described as tall with dark hair, because I remember thinking Piccolo was being described but then finding out he was standing beside Josha... OH also there's a picture of Beckan and her father somewhere towards the front of the book, plus she's on the cover.(less)

Lola
Apr 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
I was so excited to read this one, when it first appeared on Goodreads, but then my excitement dwindled when I saw the cover (I’m an unapologetic coverwhore) and now, after reading 25% of the story, I’m left with a feeling of complete confusion.

I remember very little of what I just read. The world-building lacked detail to an extreme point and the story seemed so messy with a do-this-do-that kind of plot. The characters were going from a point A to a point B with poor to no reason behind. Imper
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
I have never read any book like this one before--it was weird, it was odd, it was different.

This is my first Hannah Moskowitz book, and I am definitely going to be hunting down her books at our local bookstores so I can devour them as I did with this fabulous piece.

If there's one thing I can promise you, it's this: A History of Glitter and Blood is one big mess. Now "mess" in regards to this book can mean two things: a) a legitimately annoying, confusing mess, or b) a beautiful mess--luckily for
Hannah
Apr 25, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)

I wrote this book! I did not do the illustrations, which are seriously unbelievable. That girl on the front is a drawing, not a model. There's another "photograph" of her inside the book, by the same illustrator. She's posing here with her dad, who's just an ear and an eye in a jar:

There are also a ton of newspaper clippings and handwritten notes and stuff in it:

And the playlist, of course:

The Gymnast, High Above the Ground -- The Decemberists
Invincible -- OK Go
Vagabond -- Wolfmother
Good Old-Fa
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I'm dnfing this one before I get ragey.

Here's a quote:
In the morning, Scrap and Beckan take their usual route down to the mines. And shit, okay, a better author would insert a map right here.
Remember that for the next draft.
Once upon a time there was a writer who couldn't write a fucking book. I don't know what comes next. That whole chapter's going to need to get thrown out anyway.

Now this was in the book randomly. But then the whole thing seemed kinda random. I know the author is very young.
Emily May
Dec 22, 2014 marked it as dnf
Shelves: arc, young-adult, fantasy, 2015
DNF

I've been waiting to jump on the Moskowitz fanwagon for years, but I couldn't even finish two chapters of A History of Glitter and Blood. It was painful to try to force myself to read through paragraph after paragraph of a boring, completely not engaging, and really weird story.

Sometimes weird is good, but here it felt off. Dismembered fairies being eaten by gnomes, an odd third person present tense prose that dragged the story down even more. Life's too short to waste time on books that are
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
This . . . is the most . . . chaotic mess of rambling nonsense I've ever encountered.

I've been told the narrator is unreliable, and maybe that's true. I don't know. I couldn't read it long enough to find out.

BUT.

Regardless of whether or not that's true . . . I don't care. This is awful. AWFUL. Like boycott-the-publisher-for-all-eternity awful.

There's some kind of fairy war, and the gnomes eat the fairies (YES, literally), but only parts of them, and the rest continues to live b/c immortal: th
TheBookSmugglers
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is amazing beyond words

I don’t know that I ever read anything quite like A History of Glitter and Blood, a novel so edgy and dramatic and dark and uneasy and different and so, so weird, it almost exists on a realm of its own. It is SO bloody good it makes me want to fall on my knees and weep. Dramatically.

+++

Once upon a time, in the fairy town of Ferrum, there were only four whole, not maimed, fairies: Beckan and her three best friends Scrap, Josha and Cricket. The fairies share the town –
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
I fucking hate when that happens.

I hate not finishing books.
I hate not finishing arcs even more.
I hate not finishing arcs from my favorite authors even more.

BUT.

While I adored Teeth and loved Gone, Gone, Gone, the truth is, I can't do this. I can't deal with my unability to feel connected or interested in this one. Maybe it wasn't for me. I don't really know, but oh, well. I shall try again on vacations, but now? Not happening, sorry.

*arc kindly provided by Chronicle Books through Netgalley in
Natalie Monroe

"There is no narrative.

There is nothing about Scrap.

There is nothing about her.

There is dry, pointless, objective, timeless history."

Have you ever read postmodern fiction? If you haven't, count your lucky stars. It is the single most pretentious genre I have ever encountered; it leaves Augustus Waters and his unlit cigarette in the dust.

Postmodernist authors essentially go out of their way to make a story as weird as possible. Metafiction, pastiche, illogical magical realism—it all g
Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
description

I don't know. I... don't know.

DNF.

I'm a fan of the writing style, actually. But this is too messy, too cluttered for me to handle. I'm in the middle already and I was still lost. I was really excited about this that's why I'm feeling sucky right now.
Mel (Daily Prophecy)
Apr 19, 2014 marked it as dnf
Shelves: edelweiss

Nope.

I can't do it. 58 pages and I hate everything about it.

description

First off, the writing-style. I love it when someone tells me a story, but this was just one big mess. There were parts in it that made it looks like the book needs more editing. I also don't like the amount of 'fucks' that are thrown around.

Shit, what the fuck am I even doing? What kind of history book doesn't even have a map? Once upon a time there was a writer who couldn't write a fucking book. I don't know what comes next.
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
This review was originally posted on It Starts at Midnight
Well then. This was a strange, strange book. It seems like a lot of people are basically so confused that they give up, but alas, I am not too fond of DNFing, unless I have to, and in this case, I was far too curious not to keep reading. But I have no coherent thoughts on this because.. what just happened to me? Instead, let's take a stroll through my reactions during the reading of this book:

Ah, okay, so this is about fairies. With gl

Irena
Jun 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
It pains me to say this, but A History of Glitter and Blood is officially the worst book I’ve read this year, and one of the worst novels I’ve read in my entire life. The only reason I didn’t DNF it is because I got it for review way back when it was new, and I already felt guilty for taking so long to read it.
Now this is what I call pure mess. It is an apocalyptic, post-war mix of fantasy and dystopia, with NA characters and side story.
There were a lot of whore shaming that I didn’t like, but t
Susana

Arc provided by Chronicle Books through Netgalley

2 very strange, painful and boring stars, because despite my wish to dnf it at the very beginning, there was just something about this story, something strangely compelling that kept me from doing it!
Turns out it was not that much to begin with :/ because this ended up being a new adult story with lots of feelings and people sleeping around with each other.
In a supposed fantasy setting.
A very drab _ where is my world-building? _ fantasy setti
Gillian Berry
This book is on drugs. Most people will hate this book. There are things in this book I’d change. This book made me depressed and uncomfortable and full of feelings. I fucking loved this book

Look, I don’t know. Seriously, I don’t even. Don’t even look at me right now. I don’t even know.

The beginning is like getting hit in the face with a frying pan, but after letting myself sloooowly get to know Beckan and Scrap and Josha—after blankly staring at this book and trying to make some sense of the ma
shady boots | #WatchPOSE

There better be a goddamn cover soon or I'm gonna keel over from anxiety. I mean, MOSKOWITZ IS GOING THE FAIRIES ROUTE, PEOPLE. LITERAL FAIRIES THIS TIME.

Update: That cover is eerily beautiful. I'm convinced the model is an actual fairy-- wait THAT'S A DRAWING?? Goddamn, that is AWESOME.
Natalie (Never trust a duck)
DNF
I couldn't do it. I didn't even make it that far in, but the way it was written made it impossible to get through. People have different writing styles, I get that, but whatever formula used to pen this novel was way too cluttered and didn't flow at all. I really wanted to give it a try though, but I had no idea what was happening and it just didn't work for me.
Rebecca McNutt
A History of Glitter and Blood follows every fantasy trope there is. With gnomes and fairies and similar predictable creatures, coupled with the usual setting, this book is both unoriginal and oddly melodramatic for what it is.
Saniya
Apr 23, 2015 rated it liked it
This book.
This is a kind of book that makes you sit down and think if you have actually liked this messed up book or not.
This review, my dear readers, is for those who couldn't finish this book, for reviewers who were greatly disappointed after finishing it, and for readers who are bold enough to mark this book as read even after skimming through all of the reviews.

This book with muddle up the functioning of your brain.
There were moments where I wanted to just give up and do something producti
Laurence R.
May 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: to-review
It's definitely a weird book, but I still liked it! It wasn't what I was expecting, but that isn't always bad.

I was confused when I started reading because of the narrator. There are parts like "this sucks, to change in the final draft" that took my interest off, because it was out of place and confusing. I realized later that this book is actually an attempt at a novel from a fictional character - I know, confusing - and that those are the fictional narrator's words. While I didn't get it at f
Kelsey
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen-lit, queer-lit
"But you're not in my head really. So you're going to miss stuff. This isn't really me... You can keep doing it, if it helps. Just don't forget you're getting everything wrong," (p 148)

I've seen a lot of negative reviews for this book and it's typically right around the time that the narrator reveals himself, breaks the fourth wall, starts yelling at himself about how he's writing it all wrong and should just stop - that's when this story either hooks or loses the reader. Either you are the type
rachel ☾
My Initial Reaction: Holy shit, what is this book.... I'm just, I'm just.... I don't know how this book started as a 0.5 star read that I was so close to DNF, and ended as a beautifully heart-wrenching story that I was crying and sobbing over because bloody hell do I love Scrap and just... *hyperventilates*. I don't even know what to think of this book... but I loved it, a lot. I think.

Now: I don't think I'll ever be able to understand how this story began so awfully and ended so beautifully or
Vinaya
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Umm, I read this book THREE YEARS AGO! It's probably not even the same book anymore, now that all them editors and people got their grubby hands on this masterpiece. But that book was awesome (and this one probably is too, because, hello! Hannah! duh) And I will read it again, but I just wanted to gloat about how I got to read it when it was still in a word document and raw and real and yet SO PRETTY!
Chiara
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
A copy of this novel was provided for review via Net Galley on behalf of the publisher.

When I went into A History of Glitter and Blood, I was not expecting what I got. Because what I got was pretty out of this world, if I’m being honest. So, I’m going to go over some of the aspects that were interesting about A History of Glitter and Blood.

1) If you are a fan of the unreliable narrator, boy is this book for you. Even though this book seems to be told from Beckan’s third person point of view, it’
Danielle
May 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
This review is based on an eARC obtained through Netgalley and Chronicle Books for a fair and honest review.

You've heard the saying "Beauty from Ashes"? Well, this book is more like "Beauty from Burning Flesh." No, there's no actual burning flesh (is there burning flesh?), but Ms. Moskowitz has an artful way of molding poetry and horror and desperation into something beautiful. I'm not at all trying to sound pompous, but rather express a deep truth about her writing: it's gritty and violent an
Stacy
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I was lucky enough to acquire an advance copy of this book at the Texas Library Association conference. I brought it with me on the flight home, planning to read a few chapters and then catch up on my sleep.

I did not sleep. I swallowed this book whole, marrow and meat, every uncomfortable beautiful crunchy bit of it.

The book is like all my favorite people: complex and curious, never quite what you expect, a little uncomfortable but only because it's pushing at your boundaries, trying to make yo
Cee (The Mistress Case)
Apr 25, 2015 marked it as dnf-skimmed-lost-interest
A History of Glitter and Blood is one of the most confusing, weirdest, and absentminded books I have read this year. It’s unsurprising I am not the only one who gave up on it. Don’t get me wrong. I like weird, but it isn’t the interesting kind of weird. Such a beautiful cover and beautiful title. It’s too bad the story is messy and boring. I don't like using this phrase because it sounds like it's "letting me off the hook" (not this phrase) but . . . this book is "not my cup of tea."
Rayne

Well, fuck. I actually liked this one, definitely a hell of a lot more than everyone else here. And I can see why most people have hated this one, seeing as how I was initially very turned off by the book myself. But it grew on me, and I'm not sure I can explain how. This book is weird and strange and odd and very frustrating at times, but it was just so ridiculously different. It reminded me of the edginess of Holly Black's Modern Fairy Tale series, but with Moskowitz's unique style of
Fari
**This book contains: Prostitution, Profanities, implied sex, and some great drawings!
**Thanks a ton to Raincoast for providing me with an ARC!

The thing about this book is that it’s weird. Like, really weird. It’s weird in every way possible and it’s unlike anything I have ever read before and it’s unlikely I will ever read anything quite like it again.

The first time I read the book, about a year ago when I first got the ARC, I got about 25 pages in and dnf-ed it. It was just too strange. Then I
Giovanna
Apr 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
*I received this book from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

Such a messy book. I don't know, maybe it was me but...while I read A history of glitter and blood I felt like I was trying to understand, without success, what I was reading all the time, instead of enjoying it.

The plot was all over the place, most of the story didn't make sense to me, like there was too much to take in for such a short book. The events weren't connected because there are this strange flash-backs but...it f
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• About a Girl (Metamorphoses, #3)
  • The Boys of Fire and Ash
  • Scarlett Undercover
  • Of Dreams and Rust (Of Metal and Wishes, #2)
  • When I Wake
  • An Inheritance of Ashes
  • Rebels Rising (Rebel Mechanics, #3)
  • Dreamstrider
  • The Last Changeling (The Last Changeling, #1)
  • Hold Me Like a Breath (Once Upon a Crime Family, #1)
  • When My Heart Was Wicked
  • The Unquiet
  • Serpentine (Serpentine, #1)
  • 5 to 1
  • Drift & Dagger (Salt & Storm, #2)
  • Becoming Jinn (Becoming Jinn, #1)
  • Inked (Inked #1)
  • Everybody Knows Your Name
Hannah Moskowitz wrote her first story, about a kitten named Lilly on the run from cat hunters, for a contest when she was seven years old. It was disqualified for violence. Her first book, BREAK, was on the ALA's 2010 list of Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults, and in 2013, GONE, GONE, GONE received a Stonewall Honor. 2015's NOT OTHERWISE SPECIFIED was named the YA Bisexual Book of the Year. She ...more
“There's a big difference between hating someone in peace and hating someone during war.” 3 likes
“She is still learning how wars keep score.” 2 likes