Start by marking “Anatomy of a Poet” as Want to Read:

Read Book

Anatomy of a Poet

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  33 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Read a Preview:

As Bri Maya Tiwari said,"There is a brokenness out of which comes the unbroken; a shatteredness out of which blooms the unshatterable; a sorrow beyond all grief which leads to joy, and a fragility out of whose depths emerges strength. There is a hollow space too vast for words through which we pass with each loss, out
Paperback, 1, 152 pages
Published April 18th 2013 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Anatomy of a Poet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anatomy of a Poet

Alistair Baillie
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful and touching book of poetry, which has at it's heart a mature, loving, but still raw and passionate woman. Many of the poems, and to be honest my favourites, are about beautiful feminitity engaging with men, often rugged. The touch of men on a woman's heart and body features heavily, but not excessively; it's not soft, vapid chick-lit. It's rounded, and the works also include verse on urban conditions (Half Past Five, Thoughts of a Call Girl), even Auto Fruit). But it's love ...more
Christine Campbell
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is poetry to reach and refresh the soul. It is accessible, easy to read, easy to understand, but far from simple.
I love this book. I often find poetry frustrating, sometimes inaccessible. Not so with CJ Heck's offerings. I haven't read through the whole book: poetry is not something to be rushed at, but something to be savoured. Each poem evokes a different mood, a different response, so I like to read one occasionally, almost as a thought for the day.
Many of the poems are love songs with
John Brooke
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Well what the Heck, here goes. At first it was a slow start this woman's poetry, however I was soon bowled over engrossed in in her sensual uninhibited and honest poetic expression as she totally revealed her soul. Yearnings for unrequited love and the unleashed power of her poetically expressed physical merging with her male counterparts.

Totally open and honestly expressed in a variety of poetic styles, each matched to her emotions of the moment. No cutesy innuendoes here. Simply stated naked
Susan
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
CJ has a way of looking into your very soul and describing the passion and feelings that we experience but yet are afraid to or cannot express in words for ourselves. In the pages of this book you will find powerful, thought provoking, sensual, and beautifully written poetry from the heart.

I love poetry and highly recommend this book! I purchased this book so I can enjoy it again and again.
C.J. Heck
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Read a Preview: http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/3...

Comments/Reviews:

"This is my kind of poetry. Direct, beautifully expressed and without a hint of pretension." ~Allison Cassidy

"CJ, I thoroughly enjoyed looking inside your book! Too often poetry is written so abstractly that it leaves the reader with more questions as to the point of the writing, rather than the insight, or inspiration. This is NOT true of your poetic verses. Your words are indeed poignant, resonating feelings to the reader
LAWonder10
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
CJ Heck writes a book of sensuous thoughts and longing of love from an earlier time. In real life, CJ lost her husband to the war in Viet Nam. The pain, void and deep longing is very cohesive in most of her writing. She also writes of children and grandchildren and of homeless men. Her thoughts are very poignant and beautiful.

She writes with more prose than poetry. Some of her prose is done very well, others are lacking in rhythm and smooth flow. It is still a very touching collection.

Beware, th
Tom
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have only recently become aware of this author and her work and am amazed not only with the diversity in her writings but also the resiliency she has exhibited over her lifetime.

I have read "Anatomy of a Poet" now and with my knowledge about some of her true life experiences, I can assure you that her writings are from her soul, heart, and personal life.

One fine author and a magnificent lady. I highly recommend this book with its compilation of meaningful and thought provoking poetry.
Becky
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I finished reading "Anatomy Of A Poet" by C.J. Heck last night. I enjoyed it very much! C.J. definitely has a way with words, that touches a person heart! I laughed, and cried, and felt her emotions! I won this book from Goodreads, and I'm so glad I did! Thank you C.J., for writing from the depth of your heart and soul!
Joyce E.
I purchased Anatomy of a Poet today...I could hardly put it down! The poetry is filled with a pleasant mix of emotions. I have plans to use several of CJ's poems with my sixth grade students! A great read...I encourage everyone who enjoys poetry to buy this book. Love it!
Henry Le Nav
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I know about poetry, you could lose in a thimble. I did enjoy many of the poems in this short volume, probably all for the wrong reasons. She is very sensual and very honest.

I believe this is the only poetry book that I ever finished.
Karla Dorman
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The reader is drawn into expertly crafted poetry and wonders if the Poet has experienced all she writes about. If not, CJ Heck has fooled everyone. Anatomy of a Poet peels back the outer skin of the reader and gets into the heart. Highly recommend this book.
Mii
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great read!
Byron Edgington
May 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Here we have a collection of poems by a woman who writes from the heart, a once wounded, recovered, then possibly wounded once more heart. A woman who seems to have found inner peace after much tragedy and soul searching. Disclaimer #1: This reviewer has not written a previous poetic review. Disclaimer #2: This reviewer is a Vietnam veteran, and the war in SE Asia figures in this collection rather prominently.
CJ Heck may be fond of children’s books. Indeed, her mantra could well be that childre
Margaret R. Dunn
Jun 14, 2013
Writers and Readers : Poetry for the Heart and Soul 3 4 Apr 05, 2015 11:16AM
¡ POETRY !: We Need to Get Away 9 37 Aug 04, 2013 10:12AM
¡ POETRY !: A Poet for a Lover 17 51 Aug 03, 2013 02:32PM
Making Connections: 1446. ANATOMY OF A POET by C.J. Heck 1 13 Jul 22, 2013 09:03PM
Goodreads Authors...: The Unwritten 1 8 Jul 22, 2013 01:36PM
  • Renaissance 2.0: Carnival of Characters, Crusades, and Causes
  • The People's Songs: The Story of Modern Britain in 50 Records
  • Existentialism For Dummies
  • Justice and the Politics of Difference
  • Entendre (The Man Who Loved Too Much, #2)
  • From My Mother
  • My Name Is Hardly (My Temporary Life #2)
  • Sailor and Fiddler: Reflections of a 100-Year-Old Author
  • Quantum Reality
  • Extraordinary Dreams of an Ireland Traveler
  • Poets in Their Youth
  • The Politics of the Family and Other Essays
  • How Did You End Up Here?: The Surprising Ways Our Questions Connect Us
  • White Walls: A Memoir About Motherhood, Daughterhood, and the Mess In Between
  • Clean: A History of Personal Hygiene and Purity
A native of Ohio, CJ is a published poet, writer, freelance editor, blogger and author of five books. She has three daughters, eleven grandchildren, and lives with her partner, Author Robert Cosmar, in The Villages, Florida. CJ is also a Vietnam War widow.

Children's Books:
Barking Spiders and Other Such Stuff
Barking Spiders 2, (the sequel)
Me Too! Preschool Poetry

Adult Books:
Bits and Pieces (colle
“I've made a lot of choices, some good, some not so good; how sad for those who merely hitchhike along, never daring to choose at all.” 7 likes