Start by marking “Time Now for the Vinyl Cafe Story Exchange” as Want to Read:
Time Now for the Vinyl Cafe Story Exchange

Time Now for the Vinyl Cafe Story Exchange

In Time Now for the Vinyl Cafe Story Exchange, Stuart McLean and his long-time radio producer, Jess Milton, have collected their favourite stories from a decade of their much-loved show. This is a wise, wonderful collage of rituals and romance, road trips and guitar licks, Saturday-night hockey games and Sunday morning pancakes. A story about an exploding outhouse sits rig ...more
Published September 17th 2013 by Viking Canada

To ask other readers questions about Time Now for the Vinyl Cafe Story Exchange, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time Now for the Vinyl Cafe Story Exchange

Start your review of Time Now for the Vinyl Cafe Story Exchange
Kara Babcock
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This will be a short review. I don’t have a lot to say about Time Now for the Vinyl Cafe Story Exchange. If you are familiar with the Vinyl Cafe, then you know what the Story Exchange is. If not, then while you might still enjoy this book, it probably won’t have the same resonance for you.

There are some gems of stories in this book. I’ve heard most of them (because I’ve listened to The Vinyl Cafe for that long, and some have been re-broadcast because they are just that good). Reading them, howev
Lino  Matteo
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Time now for the Vinyl Café Story Exchange
Stuart McLean

They have to be true. And they have to be short…but after that they don’t have to be anything at all; after that it’s up to you.

Letters/ Notes

146: Jiggin’ for Squid
He was looking for seagulls, which (Ray) said always knew where the squid were swimming.
149: Ov
Paula Dembeck
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Stuart McLean is recognized as one of Canada’s most engaging story tellers. He spent years on the radio and in public appearances across the country, entertaining audiences with stories that helped bring people together from the far reaches of the vast Canadian landscape, people with different jobs, lives and perspectives. He helped Canadians get to know one another, share laughter and tears, good times, bad times and funny times. Yes, definitely lots of funny times.

Not everyone has the gift of
Holly
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: canada
I really loved this book. Some of the stories made me laugh and some made me cry (one made me ugly cry), and some stories caused no strong reaction one way or the other - but I enjoyed them all. I loved the glimpses into other people's lives - it's like when you walk down a street at night and can see into people's living room windows and you feel for a brief moment like you're sharing a moment of their lives #canada150
Lisa
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As you can obviously tell.... it was a very quick read that are all short stories but written in from VC listeners. Some are sad some are funny!!! I needed a good uplifting message and a VC story always does it!!! Lots of love Stuart 💗😇💗
Anita
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A warm and wonderful collection of short stories, all submitted by Vinyl Cafe Readers. I literally laughed and cried. If you need a break from the world of crappy ,mean people read these stories . You will feel good again about humanity.
Doug Beagrie
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Pick it up, put it down or read it from cover to cover. There are over 100 mostly feel good letters that Stuart McLean received over ten years of The Vinyl Cafe. These listeners letters celebrate the lives, learnings and hopes of ordinary people.
Monica Penthor
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
Personal stories that were sent in to the Vinyl Cafe from listeners. All of them very enjoyable. The kind of book you can pick up anytime and be entertained.
Caley Harland
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it
Peter Dyer
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it
not my favourite
Janet Fraser
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful sharing of personal stories about life !
Vanessa Max
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A treasure that makes you appreciate the tiniest things.
University of Chicago Magazine
North de Pencier, AB'10
Contributor

From the contributor: "For ten years, listeners of The Vinyl Cafe have shared their personal stories with Stuart McLean on The Vinyl Cafe Story Exchange. To celebrate the tenth anniversary of the segment, Stuart and his long-time radio producer, Jess Milton, have collected their favourites. The result is a wise, wonderful anthology of stories about rituals and romance, road trips and guitar licks, Saturday-night hockey games and Sunday morning pancakes. A story
Thebruce1314
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The simplest stories are sometimes the best stories. McLean's Vinyl Cafe stories always seem to capture a little piece of the essence of what it is like to be Canadian, but these stories come from Canadians, from the people they happened to, and the people who consider them important. Some are funny. Some are sad. You never quite know what you're going to get each time you start a story. And that's what makes it beautiful.
Heather
A collection of stories from listeners of the Vinyl Cafe. These stories are all short but have a meaning behind them, whether its funny, serious or just something a person has noted in their lives or the lives of others. The stories on this collection are some of the favorites of Stuart McLean and his producer over the last 10 years. A great collection of stories that will make you laugh, make you cry and make you go "huh" at times. Very well done.
Steen
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love the CBC radio show 'The Vinyl Cafe' and try to listen to it every week at work or I download the podcasts to listen to it whenever. One of my favourite parts is of course the segment with the story exchange so I decided to give it a try.

Some stories were sweet, others sad, some humourous, but all enjoyable to read.
Alida
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you enjoy the Vinyl Cafe you will know how this works. Listeners are invited to send in their stories; they have to be short and they have to be true. They will all be read, some of them on air.

A delightful anthology. Some of the stories made me laugh out loud, some of them brought a tear to my eye and many I wanted to share with specific people.
Krista
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book. It brought me to tears numerous times, it made me laugh out loud, it made me extremely proud of where I live. Most importantly, it made me realize that the world isn't as nearly as bad off as I thought. This is a great read to restore your faith in people.

Nadin
Oct 01, 2013 rated it liked it
It was okay, even cute sometimes, but definitely not what I was expecting. Most of the stories are just stories, and as a writer, I always expect some sort of a punch line or a lesson in the end. I do, however, admit that several touched me deeply, and I am grateful for picking up this book.
Evelyn
Mar 01, 2015 rated it liked it
A collection of letters written in to A Canadian radio show for their story exchange. The two rules are that the story must be short and it must be true. So we end up with a collection of 2-3 page long anecdotes. Some are funny, some are sad, many were meh, in my opinion.
Lisa Bilodeau
Dec 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Heartwarming stories. Some made me laugh. Many got me all choked up.
Thanks, Stuart McLean for inspiring people to share.
Sean Campbell
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful stories. Heartfelt and humorous. Sad and sentimental. True and Canadian.

Another great volume from this wonderful broadcast!
Kimberly Ann
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book - a collection of true stories that made me laugh and cry.
Nora
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just what you would expect. Great stories some to make you laugh and some to make you cry.
Sharon
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
A really interesting compilation of stories sent to Stuart over the years, fun and engaging.
Rachel
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My favourite kinds of stories - little snippets, the kind of stories people share around the table after a good meal.
Sue J
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
absolutely love this book, the stories were both happy and sad
A
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Little bits of heart-warming Canada.
Kelly Osmond
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I almost didn't read this book but I'm glad I did. Though I still prefer the Dave family stories, there were enough smiles and happy thoughts to make it enjoyable.
Angela Counter

• Fatty Legs: A True Story
  • I Am an Islander
  • The Kitchen Daughter
  • From the Ashes
  • Fudge-a-Mania (Fudge, #4)
  • Queen of the Sea
  • Sweep: The Story of a Girl and Her Monster
  • White Bird
  • The Story of Edgar Sawtelle
  • Midnight Train to Prague
  • Women Talking
  • Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing (Fudge, #1)
  • What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day (Idlewild, #1)
  • The Girls
  • The Ministry of Utmost Happiness
Librarian Note: There was more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

From the Vinyl Cafe web site: Stuart McLean was a best-selling author, award-winning journalist and humorist, and host of CBC Radio program The Vinyl Cafe.

Stuart began his broadcasting career making radio documentaries for CBC Radio's Sunday Morning. In 1979 he won an ACTRA award for Best Radio Documentary for