Start by marking “Feather Bound” as Want to Read:
Feather Bound

Feather Bound

3.25  ·  Rating details ·  160 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
When Deanna's missing friend Hyde turns up at his father's funeral to claim his corporate empire and inheritance, she is swept into his glittering world of paparazzi and wealth.

But re-kindling her friendship and the dizzying new emotions along for the ride are the least of her concerns. Because Deanna has a secret – and somebody knows. Someone who is out to get Hyde. And i
304 pages
Published May 6th 2014 by Strange Chemistry (first published January 1st 2014)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
This is the second time I've tried to finish this book. The first was several weeks ago, and I made it to 12% before needing a break. The time I made it to 28% and. I. Am. Done.

There is no world-building.

The book begins with Deanna's family getting ready to go to the funeral of an old family friend. A family friend who sounds a lot like any number of men you'd find on the Forbes' Richest People in America list. A family friend whose dead son was Deanna's best childhood friend (except he came ac
Leontii Cristea
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes a book surprises me; mostly it’s always in a bad way. But Feather Bound, by Sarah Raughley, surprised the hell out of me by being not only a brave novel in so many ways, but also by being utterly stunning and completely honest to life. It’s rare that I read something as truly dark and honest as Feather Bound and the five-star rating is so well-deserved I can’t help but ramble on about this book to anyone who will listen—and anyone who won’t, for that matter!

Beneath the glittery façade
Kathylill
Mar 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
DNFed at 25% skipped over the rest

This book is one if those that pisses me of. It's so full of stereotypes and dumb thoughts that I seriously wanted to do bodily harm. At least the book is short if nothing else.

First of all there is absolutely no world building:
Sarah Raughley tries unconvincingly to create an urban fantasy romance novel for young adults. But even though she is one of the first to star bird-shifters the world and plot itself seem to be rather lacking in the originality departme
Isa Lavinia

ARC provided by Strange Chemistry through Netgalley

TW: sexual abuse, torture, forced prostitution, human trafficking, mentions of rape

I absolutely hate to write bad reviews, but this one... ugh, it was infuriating!

First of all, false advertising can do nothing but harm a book.
In this case the blurb tells us this story is "reminiscent of Gabriel García Márquez's A Very Old Man With Enormous Wings"... If you are going to compare something to Gabriel García Márquez's writing be aware you are se
Jennifer Whitehead
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, ya-fiction
Thank you NetGalley and Angry Robot Ltd for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

LOVE LOVE LOVE this book. I understand that many people think that the comparison to Marquez's work is inaccurate. I also acknowledge that the Cinderella-spin isn't quite right. But I found this book to be dark and enthralling. I even found myself discussing it with my husband (who usually scoffs at my preference for YA lit).

Dee, the hollow-eyed and life-hardened main character, finds herself attending the fune
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, favorites
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten! My copy was an ARC I received from the publisher via NetGalley.

I have to admit, Strange Chemistry is one publisher I’ve yet to have a hit with despite trying and trying for a year and a half. The premises to so many of their novels sound amazing and practically scream my name, but something tends to go wrong and put me somewhere between DNF and meh. I’m happy to say Feather Bound not only broke this “curse” but broke my heart and made its way into my all-
Sarah Raughley
Mar 14, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This is my book :) It's a magical realism YA inspired by the swan maiden folktale.

The story exists in different cultures, but the basic idea is always the same: a girl grows feathers on her back, as swan maidens do, only to have her feather robe stolen by a man - and her autonomy along with it. There was something about that I found fascinating and sinister in equal parts. The very fact that some variation of the tale exists in different cultures makes it clear that there are definitely some (da
Nasty Lady MJ
Mar 31, 2014 rated it did not like it
To see full review click on one of the following links:

My Blog

Booklikes

First of all, credit where it’s due. I want to thank Netgalley for the opportunity for reading this book. And now here’s the disclaimer of how being given the very generous opportunity to review this book did not effect my opinion of this book.

Neither did the beautiful cover.

Really, whoever designed this cover should be give accolades. It’s the best thing about this book. I really love how it looks. It shows that the whole dr
Suz
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Althea Ann
Mar 06, 2014 rated it liked it
OK, first off – I don’t think that the marketing blurb advertising this book as “reminiscent of Gabriel García Márquez” was a good idea (although it got me to grab the book). It creates unrealistically high expectations – and no, this book simply does not resemble Márquez. Nor does it try to. Stylistically, this reminded me a lot more of YA books such as Scott Westerfeld’s ‘Uglies’ series, or even Malorie Blackman’s ‘Noughts and Crosses.’ And I think the audience for those books would like this ...more
Rebecca (Unbound Pages)
That book was so imaginative and original. There were some shockingly brutal aspects to it that I wasn't expecting, but I really loved the story. Two for two for Strange Chemistry. I need more of their books now! Full review to come.
Shadow
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Excellent storyline
Rachel Miller
Mar 13, 2014 rated it liked it
This review was first posted on Giant Squid Books.

Urban fantasy isn’t really my genre, but Feather Bound takes it on in a really fascinating and dark way I’ve never seen before. Sarah Raughley sends us to a sort-of modern day New York, with new myths and cultural norms woven in. It’s a world where we see egregiously wealthy teenagers wielding abnormal social and political power–it’s like Cruel Intentions–and I mean that only in the best way–with a bit of an urban fantasy element thrown in.

In the
Cheyenne
Apr 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Feather Bound, the book that intrigued me. I won this book in a giveaway on Goodreads and it will be coming out on May 6th. It is a YA fantasy book about people who are part swan. I gave this book a 3.5 star rating.

When I was told I won this book, I wasn't sure what to expect when I read it. The synopsis definitely intrigued me and I was very excited to read something new and unique. I began it the day I got it in the mail and finished it in two days. It was a very simple book and easy to read i
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
I didn't even get to that 10% mark, so I can't really give it a rating. This one was just way too overdone (the plot), odd and stiff (the writing).

The characters were really stereotypical. Our heroine, Deanna, was a Mary Sue. She was the "pretty one" who was the one who "did all the work" to support her family. There's her dad, who's a drunk and basically does nothing. One of her sisters, Adrianna, has a job but then spends all the money for herself.

Other than that, I wasn't a huge fan of the w
Vi Vi
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
LOL I actually liked it?
Sally
Shelves: arc
3.5 It's very different and I really liked that ! Check it out when its out !
Isis
I would like to thank NetGalley and Strange Chemistry for the opportunity to read this e-ARC. Although I received the ebook for free, that in no way impacts my review.

David Olutola
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Sorry for the lateness of this review.

You know, I don't usually read a lot of YA fiction. I find a lot of it is really just a series of events linking to each other with everything spelled out and hand-held for the reader... and I don't know. That may be literally the definition of plot and story but I find it interesting when an author can trust the reader to look at the subtext of what's going on and consider the larger themes of the story.

Feather Bound is about human swans (where they came fr
Isamlq
Mar 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc-galley
"Feather Bound is a dark debut reminiscent of Gabriel García Márquez's A Very Old Man With Enormous Wings, and the twisted truth behind the fairy tale of Cinderella."

photo 3cbf4579767f1adb02212e241a6cb4efd198d607b2243230ddd6486eb9c6115e_zps8862d72f.jpg

unwarranted comparison aside, the one good thing about this is the cover. hello, cover love! unless one factors how it misleads the reader. yes, this is another case of beautiful cover… only.

one, on world building. what world building? things just 'are' in feather bound... something i would normally be ok with, except here, wha
Liviania
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was excited about FEATHER BOUND, a YA debut based on the Hagoromo/Crane Wife legend. After seeing several negative reviews, my excitement dimmed and it moved down in my TBR pile. But 48HBC, with its focus on diversity, pushed it back up toward the top.

The story begins with Deanna attending the funeral of an old family friend. She's mostly there out of obligation, but she does mourn the man's son, her best friend who died when he was ten. Cue the reveal that in Deanna's world some people are "s
All Things Urban Fantasy
Mar 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
Review Courtesy All Things Urban Fantasy

I can understand, to some degree, wanting to generate buzz for your novel, but you might want to stop and think before comparing it to something written by a man who can claim a Nobel Prize in Literature. Apparently, stopping and thinking wasn’t the road chosen and the comparison was made. Bad move.

FEATHER BOUND isn’t so much a novel as it is a trainwreck. I can understand wanting to keep an air of mystery around the story to keep the reader engaged; I eve
Mar 27, 2014 rated it liked it
There’s something so strange and shocking about the first appearance of a swan in the book that I couldn’t help but love it. Some reviewers have criticised the lack of explanation or purpose of the swans’ existence, but I found this gave it all the more resonance as a metaphor for abuse and exploitation, and I respect a writer who can include something so completely weird in a story. She’s also brave enough to write about sexual abuse and human trafficking with a rawness and lack of sensationali ...more
 Lianne Mei
Mar 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Received this ARC in exchange for an honest review via the publisher via Netgalley. Thank you!

I am so confused.. I don't understand how people in this story are swans and that it is okay for other people to use them as slaves ( instead of human trafficking you have human/swan trafficking). It just seems as though this story leaps right into the action and doesn't explain anything. Like how people became swans and what is the significance of Hyde's dad being considered to be evil (they discuss ru
Victoria
Mar 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014, arc
I'd like to thank the publisher for sending me an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Feather Bound is certainly an interesting book. It was a relatively quick read, although I will admit that at times I found myself skimming over the pages a little. Up until the 50% mark it was fast paced and interesting, however my concentration started to wane after that point. Although it did pick itself up again toward the very end, when all the action started to happen.
I think my biggest is
Bobbie
May 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes I like fairy tale adaptations, sometimes I don't. I find they can be a bit twee, cloying and saintly. Feather Bound is anything but. This is a darker tale of riches versus poverty, embezzlement and blackmail, human trafficking and slave labour. Not subjects you expect to come across in a fairy tale, but Raughley does it oh so well.

Dark and twisted, this tale is compelling and disturbing in all the right ways. The darkness is tempered with a romance that is both realistic and delightfu
Hallie
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
An entirely original, imaginative concept! After the first few chapters, I couldn't put it down!
Margaryta
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Firstly, a big thanks to Angry Robot/Strange Chemistry/Exhibit A for providing me with a copy of the book to review and the opportunity to read it, I was looking forward to devolve into this one and discover for myself the world of the swan maiden reimagined.

Now, this book walks a rather thin line between its faults and it’s moments of triumph, though I would say interest or amusement would fit better in this case or even just shuddering. And even though those moments existed there weren’t that
Tsana Dolichva
May 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Feather Bound by Sarah Raughley is the author's début novel. I went into it with no expectations beyond title and cover thumbnail (if I ever read the blurb before writing this review, I have no memory of it) and I was pleasantly surprised. By the end of the first chapter, Feather Bound had me hooked with its surprising revelation of the premise (which, OK, not surprising if you read the blurb, but it was still well-executed).

In this story, some people are swans. It's not genetic, but it is somet
Pili
First of all I want to thank Strange Chemistry for having me auto-approved on NetGalley, so I'm always just a click away from their very unique and fresh books!

Feather Bound had a very unique premise, and was instantly drawn to a story in present time based on the Swan Maidens folk tales. I found I had some issues with the pacing on occasion, but still was a very unique read.

Deanna lives in a world where you can discover all of a sudden that you are Swan, which leaves you vulnerable to human tra
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Wizard’s Promise (The Hanna Duology, #1)
  • Delete (Shift, #3)
  • Essence
  • Emilie and the Sky World (Emilie, #2)
  • Such Sweet Sorrow
  • Trail of Shadows and Blood (A Tale So Dark & Grimm, #1)
  • Prophecy of Oz (Prophecy of Oz, #1)
  • Mayday
  • The Crystal Heart
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
  • Skulk (Skulk, #1)
  • A Curse of Ash and Iron
  • The Weight of Souls
  • Zenn Scarlett (Zenn Scarlett, #1)
  • Banished (The Blackhart Legacy, #1)
  • Chorus (Coda #2)
  • Into the Fire (Birth of the Phoenix #1)
  • Shadowplay (Micah Grey, #2)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Sarah Raughley grew up in Southern Ontario writing stories about freakish little girls with powers because she secretly wanted to be one. She is a huge fangirl of anything from manga to SF/F TV to Japanese Role Playing Games, but she will swear up and down that she was inspired by ~Jane Austin~ at book signings. On top of being a YA Writer, she is currently completing a PhD in English, because the ...more
More about Sarah Raughley

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
  • Dread Nation
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)