Start by marking “Thirty-Two Going on Spinster (Spinster #1)” as Want to Read:
Thirty-Two Going on Spinster (Spinster #1)

Thirty-Two Going on Spinster

(Spinster #1)

Julia Dorning is a spinster, or at least on the road to becoming one. She has no social life, hates her job, and lives in her parent’s basement with her cat, Charlie.

With the arrival of Jared Moody, the new hire at work, Julia’s mundane life is suddenly turned upside down. Her instant (and totally ridiculous) crush on the new guy causes Julia to finally make some long-ove
Published December 12th 2012 by Exclusive Publishing (first published December 11th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Thirty-Two Going on Spinster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thirty-Two Going on Spinster

Something Borrowed by Emily GiffinConfessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingThe Undomestic Goddess by Sophie KinsellaSomething Blue by Emily Giffin
Chick lit
373 books — 465 voters
The Law of Attraction by N.M. SilberMini Skirts and Laughter Lines by Carol E. WyerThe Meaning of Purple Tulips by Bláithín O' Reilly MurphyOne Pink Line by Dina SilverFourteen Days Later by Sibel Hodge
Best Debut Chick Lit
254 books — 942 voters

More lists with this book...

Jilly
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it
It's a good thing that her age is in the title of this book because if you just judge by the way she acts and thinks, this heroine is about 14 years old.

Her name is Julia and she works in an office, lives with her parents, and realizes she is heading to spinster-ville.

Her subscription starts up on her 32nd birthday.

Julia meets Jared when he gets a job at her company and immediately starts to over-analyze everything he does or says to decide if he likes her. Like, likes her -likes her. She gets
Elizabeth
Jun 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2013
I really, really need to stop reading these ridiculous free ebooks. I think I finished it because I wanted to see if all of the predictions I made before completing the first chapter were true. Spoiler: they were. Also, learn the damn difference between your and you're. It's not that hard, I promise.
Jacob Proffitt
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chaste, romance
This story has a really strong narrative voice and if you don't like it (discernable in a few pages), you're likely to bounce off pretty hard. Fortunately (for me), I enjoyed Julia almost immediately and found her internal dialogue inviting and amusing. It's way out of my wheelhouse as I've never been anywhere near that uncertain and auto-pilot hasn't ever been a temptation in my professional or personal life. Which makes it kind of amazing that Monson managed to make Julia's extreme form of bot ...more
Katie W
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
**I just read this one again and had just as much fun the second time around as I did the first. The laugh-out-loud humor and inner thoughts are hilarious and endeared Julia to me. Everyone has insecurities to deal with and it's great to watch someone else go through them.**

What a fun, and funny, book! Julia is determined that she's on the road to becoming a spinster and uses everything in her life to support that theory. Isn't it true that if you're looking for something, you'll see it? To me,
Jennifer Maloney
Mar 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2014
Okay I dug this out of my "abandoned" shelf to finish it b/c it really was a small book and I couldn't stand abandoning one that was this small... but seriously... this book is awful. It's basically a train-of-thought monologue of the main character as she whines about how boring her life is, her spinster-y she is, and how much she hates her job. I actually diligently read through about 3 chapters but then I had to take flying leaps through the rest of the book, speed reading it in about 20 minu ...more
Elle's Book Blog
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chicklit
:: 4 Pretty Little Stars ::

This is a really cute chick lit novel that had me laughing almost all the way through. While I did feel that the main character was a bit immature for her age, it was good to see her grow as a character throughout the book. I am not going to write a long review because this is an older book but I do want to say that I did enjoy this one and would read the second installment in the near future.
Jennifer Peel
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect ignore your family and housework kind of a book. Loved it!
Hannah
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Dude, why did I even read this book? Oh right, because it was free. I kept expecting a plot twist that would mix things up a bit, but alas. The writing didn't suck, but the storyline was cliché and boring. What a dud.
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
I really wanted to like this book, but I just found Julia really annoying. She just complains all the time about her life, but doesn't really want to do anything to change it. Then change is forced upon her and she just annoyed me. I liked Jared, but I didn't like most of the other characters.
Becky Monson
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I feel a little strange rating my own book, but what the heck. I wrote it, so of course I liked it. I hope you do too. xoxo
BestChickLit.com
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. Word. This is one of the funniest books I have reviewed in a long time and it is definitely one of my top reads of 2013.
The tone and humour of the story is completely on my level, I cracked up on more than one occasion – most notably in the middle of a packed train – thanks to Monson’s brilliant wit and great writing. Honorable mention must go to the Hitler moustache and the dad who punches the table to stop from laughing. Genius.
Julia is the perfect protagonist for the book; she’s prett
Tara
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
I had a hard time liking this character. She is very whiny and annoying at the start of the book and I didn't see a whole lot of growth in that regard. I am still not sure I ever got past her personality. The story was alright, but I really could never see why the guy liked her.
Ebony
Mar 31, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: could-not-finish
Too many stereotypes in one book. Ugh.
Car
May 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun story, and the character is relatable in many ways. A friend of mine wrote this book, and I think she did a great job!
Mary
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My friend is the author! Great chick lit read! Loved the characters! I especially love the HR Manager that constantly uses the word "proverbial" incorrectly! So funny!
Chrissy (The Every Free Chance Reader)

Did I enjoy this book: I did enjoy this book. It was a fun read that kept me entertained from beginning to end. There were so many laugh out loud moments.

I think a lot of single women can relate to Julia. Once we reach a certain age, we start to think we will never get married or find “the one.” Sometimes we start throwing around the word “spinster.” I’m not sure how many women would be as dramatic about it as Julia though. But that made it all the more humorous. Beyond that, many of us
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
A sarcastic voice is one of my guilty pleasures. If it is done well, it will get me every time. Becky Monson used a wonderful voice. I could almost hear Julia's voice, and maybe envision a few eye rolls!

Julia has made it into her early thirties living in her parents basement apartment, enjoys staying home in the evenings and baking. She looked up the word spinster in the dictionary and realized that her picture could have been placed next to the definition as an illustration.

She is lazy, has giv
Julie
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was probably one of the funniest books I've read all year.

Julia is a thirty-two year old spinster who works at this nerdy tech company called SpectralTech. She lives in her parents' basement and has for ten years. She sort of wants to change, but doesn't really know where to start. Applying for a new job within her company is where she decides to start, but then this totally hot guy named Jared stole her new job. And the way she meets Jared is so funny. Hiding under a conference table. I'm
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Well, the first and best thing I can say about this book is that it has moments of brilliant funny-ness. Like- maybe a snort comes out while reading this book- funny. Yeah, this was one of the most comedic books I've read in quite awhile. Sarcasm at it's best.

Most of this book is written from a place deep inside Julia's head. Sometimes I felt like I was stuck in a whirlwind of the same thoughts and feelings and I just wanted to get out or move on, but most of the time I was contented with the ch
Fatima JAX
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A Sense of Completion and Overflowing Pride after finishing a complete fun loving book is getting in me right now :-)Kicking myself for being so lazy and took forever to finish this amazing book. Becky Monson, I heart you. I will reread this book in another few months. LOVELY. *A must read for all the lovely girls out there* :-)

And Becky Monson in so many places reminded me of my favorite author Judy Balan.
Kathryn Biel
Dec 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was an entertaining book. It was exactly what I want when I read something in the Chick Lit genre--humor, romance, a likable main character in a predicament. It was the little humorous elements that I truly appreciated. 32 Going on Spinster is the perfect light escape. One fair warning--you will find yourself wanting to visit a bakery when you finish.
Jen
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Free Amazon kindle read. I felt that I mainly finished it to see if what I predicted early on actually happened... Not a bad story, just felt that it needed a lil' more...oomph! Certain passages were redundant...but on par with a free read.
Paula
Dec 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
I would love to get my money back. I could not get past the first few pages.
Mara
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first book by Becky Monson, and the first in the Spinster series. Be prepared--reading this is like you're in Julia's head--hearing all her thoughts which are funny most of the time, but sometimes kind of sad because of how she thinks of herself, especially at the beginning of the book. For example, one thought she has is "I used to have dreams. I used to have hopes. But now I’ve settled into my little world, and I don’t have much to dream about anymore."

Julia just turned thirty-two,
Corey
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You may cringe a bit throughout this book if you are a grammar Nazi but besides that, this is a great book. I enjoyed the story and character development. Overall, a really nice read. Can't wait for more from this author.

Edited to add: Apparently the version that I read was one of the earlier copies and the book has since been combed through for errors by a grammar Nazi! Perhaps no cringing after all...
Kristyn
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another free Kindle e-book.

This was a cute story. I could totally relate to the main character. Not in a spinster way (I had all four of my kids by 32), but the way she talks and feels about herself. It's just funny.

Perfectly clean with only some mild swearing, a friend who smokes, and some references to drinking (or actually not drinking).

I had a hard time putting it down. My only complaint was the very quick ending. Would have been happier with a couple more chapters.
Cara
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Julia is convinced that she is a spinster, but then, a new guy starts at work and suddenly her life changes.

Yeah, that's pretty much how the book goes. Not my favorite, but it wasn't the worst thing I've ever read. I would not recommend it to someone else.
Jing
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-books
Not enough romance. Too much internal dialogue.
Kara
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was just a really fun story! I wasn't sure what to expect upon beginning chapter one, but I was quickly swept up in Julia's mundane existence of a life. She's stuck, and while she kind of knows that, at the same time it's really hard to get herself going again. Her "spinster-ish" life isn't that terrible, but she definitely needs a wake up call. When hers arrives, she doesn't appreciate it at first, but watching as she grows, changes, and realizes that there is so much more to life than sim ...more
Mandie Foxylutely
* An eBook copy was provided by the author in exchange for my honest review

I really liked this book and it kept me entertained throughout. A lot of it I could relate to which probably was the reason I was still sat there reading three hours later after an “I'll just read the first chapter” thought.

Julia Dorning is stuck in a rut without even realising how she got there. She is a prime example (according to the dictionary) of being a spinster. A single, unattached and looking to remain unattached
Read 4 Review: R4R - Thirty-Two Going On Spinster (CHICK-LIT) 8 57 Jul 25, 2013 12:00PM
  • On Assignment (Queenie Baby, #1)
  • Round Robin
  • Breaking the Rules
  • For Internal Use Only
  • The Buggy List
  • Got a Hold on You
  • Work for Hire
  • Jack with a Twist: Engaging Your Adversary and Other Things They Don't Teach You in Law School (Brooke Miller, #2)
  • Tripped Up Love (The New Ever After Series, #1)
  • The Mother Load
  • Accidentally Yours
  • The Breakup
  • When Girlfriends Make Choices (When Girlfriends, #3)
  • Return to Newport (Return to Me, #2)
  • The Final Arrangement (Flower Shop Mystery Series, #1)
  • Road to Tomorrow (Look to the Future, #3)
  • Cocktail Hour
  • Field of Schemes
By day, Becky Monson is a mother to three young children, and a wife. By night, she escapes with reading books and writing. In her debut novel, Becky uses humor and true-life experiences to bring her characters to life. She loves all things chick-lit (movies, books, etc.), and wishes she had a British accent. She has recently given up Diet Coke for the fiftieth time and is hopeful this time will l ...more

Spinster (3 books)
  • Thirty-Three Going on Girlfriend (Spinster #2)
  • Thirty-Four Going on Bride (Spinster #3)
“Excuses are like backsides. Everybody’s got one, and they all stink.” 3 likes