Start by marking “Prince of the Icemark (The Icemark Chronicles, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Prince of the Icemark (The Icemark Chronicles, #0.5)

Prince of the Icemark

(The Icemark Chronicles 0.5)

Brave young Prince Redrought must defend his country from a supernatural invasion force of ferocious werewolves, vampires and zombies.

When his brother, the King, is killed in battle, Prince Redrought must rally his people and learn to defend his tiny kingdom against savage supernatural invaders – werewolves, vampires and zombies. Redrought must take the fight to enemy terr
Published June 6th 2013 by Chicken House

Raihani
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Utterly brilliant! In the first novel, 'Cry of the Icemark' we only get to know Redrought for a brief moment as the story focuses on Thirrin. So having the chance to read about Redrought, seeing him at his lowest and growing to be a king is fantastic. I suppose what makes me so engrossed while reading this book is the fact that you get drawn into Redrought rough charm, his clumsy honesty, his outrageous logic and his exuberance. You can't help but like him more and more as the story progresses d ...more
Rebecca Marshall
May 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I can't say much since I shouldn't really have read this yet, considering it hasn't been released. What I will say is Their Vampiric Majesties are hilarious as ever. Arrogant, pompous, selfish, with their amazing terms of endearment such as 'my darling corpse', it's hard not to love them.

The story is yet another invasion, true, but it is more than that. It's different to the other books, and is good in its own right. Once again, the battle scenes are fabulous. Absolutely amazing.

This is a fine
Sophie Cox
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
This prequel boo to the Icemark series was a really good read. I loved the new, interesting characters and some familiar faces. This is a very action-oriented book, filled with some love and some mystic and magic, a pretty good blend of what I like. I thought that this was one of my favourite of the series, I enjoyed the characters quite a lot and really got invested into the story. It was an easy read as it took you on a journey with the young prince and you got to see him grow and become a lea ...more
Stettafire
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book is brilliant, up until the ending, which felt a little rushed.
R. Shelton
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen
Very good story, well written, the whole series is a must read and you will love it as much as your kids!
Melissa Cabbage
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Frankly, the series should not have been marketed as a 'junior Game of Thrones' because it sets the trap of comparing, and although I agree that said marketing was the reason of luring me to this book in the first place (along with the schemingly similar cover design), the critic in me would have been clicking her tongue in distaste at a declaration as bold as that. I do realise the keyword should've been 'junior' but the word was overshadowed in my mind unfortunately.

Regardless, I did find mys
Daphne
Jul 08, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was a lot weaker than any of the others in the Icemark series, and that's a shame. I almost feel like the author wrote himself into a corner by writing a prequel to the rest of the books. It meant he couldn't introduce many new characters because there would be no explanation for their disappearance in the books that took place later, it also meant that the end of the story is already pretty much known by the readers.

A few new characters were introduced, but none of them were very memo
Arsnoctis
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pince of the Icemark (inedito in Italia) è il prologo di Cry of the Icemark (Icemark in italiano) e può essere preso come punto di partenza della serie oppure può essere letto in corso d'opera; io per esempio l'ho letto dopo Cry of the Icemark.
Potrebbe essere il primo prologo che apprezzo davvero -dopo tanto tempo- e posso dire di essere tornata con piacere ad Icemark grazie a queste pagine.
Un libro onesto, con degli ottimi personaggi e qualche dialogo particolarmente brillante, mi ha fatto sorr
Chris
Jul 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I did enjoy this story though it didn't really match the tone or pacing of the other three books in the series.

The prince of the Icemark is supposed to be a prequel to The Cry of The Icemark, however the mythos and philosophical parts of the world are expanded here with the edition of a new group of people, the Zoroastrians, who are the merchant people of the Icemark. They were never mentioned in the other book. Spirits-of-Battle and Bare-Sarkers are introduced too. These are supposed to be part
Nina (Death, Books, and Tea)
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Was very excited about this one due to it being a prequel to the Icemark (one of my favourite series as a child) Greatly enjoyed seeing the young Redrought. Battle scenes were just as well written as in the rest of the series. Definitely read Saphia as in love with Athena (look at her thoughts about Athena eg at start of chapter 17, plus the link of Saphia/Sappho). Definitely a deserving prequel.
Olivia
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I did not like this as much as the trilogy but, it was still very good. just very different from the other Icemark books. But it was different in a good way, but it's tragic that many of the persons we meet in this book, we will know what happens to them in the Cry of the Icemark. But some of them, will we never know what becomes of them.
Rick Mcarthur
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyable introduction to Stuart Hill's Other Dimensional Universe that he creates here for fantasy fans. Even as it had been nearly 5 years since I first encountered the original trilogy it connects to I was able to step right back into the characters domain with no memory loss at all! Recommend it largely!
Harry Clarke
Oct 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
horrific.
The front of the books says "a junior game of thrones" and i can honestly say that is pure bullshit. Just one of the worst, most immature, terribly written books i have ever read. Do not put yourself through the torture of this shitty culmination of hideous ink blotches. Awful.
Chantal
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mythology
A wonderfully, rollicking fantasy adventure of heroism, sacrifice and overcoming obstacles without losing who you really are.

Perfectly pitched at 12-14 year olds, with plenty of action, yet not too macabre.
Devyn
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
I am terribly disappointed in you Stuart Hill! I feel you half-assed and half-hearted this book. The writing style is so off I've even wondered if you wrote this or someone else did. Prince of the Icemark doesn't have even a quarter of the sophistication and humor The Cry of the Icemark had. :(
Alexandra
Feb 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, 2014-2018
I loved learning more about Therrins Father and lineage but I didn't find it as gripping as the other novels.

The tone was very different. More of a younger audience. The writing was strong but simple. The simplicity is what separates it from the first two novels especially.
Clara
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love it!!!! Wasnt expecting a prequel, but was very happy to discover one existed and was already out!!!! Now i have to read the rest of the books! Great Read!
Siti
Aug 01, 2017
Anna
rated it did not like it
Aug 29, 2014
Jun 21, 2015
Frezanda
Dec 28, 2014
  • 47 Ronin
  • Sky Pirates (The Chronicles of Light and Shadow, #3)
  • The Dark-Hunters: Infinity, Vol. 2 (Chronicles of Nick Manga #2)
  • Iron King #1 (The Iron Fey Manga, #1)
  • Good Junk (Cliff St. James #2)
  • Imaginary Friends
  • Neon (The Galaxy Guard Archives, #1)
  • Havoc (Dred Chronicles, #2)
  • Shattered Pillars (Eternal Sky, #2)
  • Cast in Deception (Chronicles of Elantra, #13)
  • The Dragons of Winter (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #6)
  • Carnivores of Light and Darkness (Journeys of the Catechist, #1)
  • Rebirth (Aftertime, #2)
  • Arena 13 (Arena 13, #1)
  • Aces Wild (Sin City Collectors, #1)
  • Praying For Rain (The Lotus Wars, #0.5)
  • Dawn of the Demontide (Witchfinder, #1)
  • Talons of Power (Wings of Fire, #9)
Stuart Hill was born in Leicester, in the East Midlands of England, where he still lives today. His family heritage includes English, Irish, Romany and Jewish blood. As a student his grades were average at best, but he was fortunate to have a teacher who inspired in him a lifelong love of reading. Since leaving school, he has worked as a teacher and an archaeologist, and now balances life as both ...more

The Icemark Chronicles (3 books)
  • The Cry of the Icemark (The Icemark Chronicles, #1)
  • Blade of Fire (The Icemark Chronicles, #2)
  • The Last Battle of the Icemark (The Icemark Chronicles, #3)