Start by marking “The Folded Man” as Want to Read:
The Folded Man

The Folded Man

In 2018 Manchester is a rotten city propped up by a few bad men. After the cuts, the toppling of its flagship tower, the riots and the terror, the promise of a prosperous North is gone. The first industrial city is dying, its people left to themselves, and with the rise of nationalism, it's only getting worse. Now, the only currency is trust, and Brian Meredith - addict, d ...more
Published May 16th 2013 by Sandstone Press Ltd

To ask other readers questions about The Folded Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Folded Man

Start your review of The Folded Man
Matt
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: media-ebooks
Brian, wheelchair-bound and ugly, in Manchester, in 2018, together with Noah, his old buddy, his old pal, his old drug dealer. Manchester in ruins after riots. Beetham tower laid down. Police raids, skin-heads plunder. No good time to walk or, in this case, wheel alone. Brian and Noah, on a spying job, get hold of a mysterious box and things are getting really rough for them. Then, a change, a metamorphosis, a nightmare, and then–possibly?–a dream.

Spartan language, dialogs without tags (Saramago
Craig Stone
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Folded Man was the runner up in The Dundee Book Prize, and Stephen Fry himself said “the book captures the smell and essence of Britain.”
So, expectations were high.
I was blown away.
Books these days are plastered with quotes from other authors and the press, who throw words around like extraordinary, vivid and original, and the books never are.
The Folded Man is all three, and more.
I read The Folded Man in four days because I couldn’t put it down. I sat in a coffee shop in Bermondsey and sat
Bellaserval
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
[No spoilers]
It's pretty safe to say that no book resembling The Folded Man has ever been written, nor will it in the future. It's absolutely, stunningly unique. It's also the most disgusting book I've ever read, with a protagonist who isn't easy to like - which has a lot to do with the mentioned disgusting stuff.

Without ruining the story: Manchester has turned to shit: society has fallen and all that's left is dirt and hate. Brian, our protagonist, is disabled, disfigured (although we don't k
Dolly Delightly
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
The cover of Matt Hill’s debut bears a quote by Stephen Fry, which tells us that the work within captures the “smell and essence of Britain”. This is a considerable claim but one that rings entirely true, despite the book’s post-apocalyptic premise. The Folded Man offers a frighteningly plausible rendition of the future, bleak and disturbing. The city is Manchester, the year is 2018. The five year leap forward sees the country in ruins, plunged into social disorder, widespread deprivation, viole ...more
Bertie
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Here is a book about the beauty in the dirt. Manchester – proud, friendly, multicultural Manchester – is ruined and hopeless in a future that's as upsetting as it's plausible. Our hero Brian is a drug-addled mermaid sat paranoid and covered in his own filth in his fortress of a flat. And then the most extraordinary things start to happen. The prose is fantastic, prising lyricism out of decay and wonder out of the horrible. I'm all over this book.
Jay Harley
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I strongly recommend this book, which studies grimness and somehow makes it beautiful. I loved it more and more with each new page and I am inspired with hope for the British industry.
Verity (The Cosy Reading Nest)
It’s 2018 and England is in a bad way. Manchester, to be specific, has run to ruin with riots having burned much of it to the ground and society ravaged almost to the point of being unrecognisable. The novel concentrates on the central character of Brian Meredith- drug addled, with a dysmorphic feature that leaves him wheelchair bound and depressed. He also thinks he’s a mermaid, and this is where The Folded Man gets confusing.

I loved Matt Hill’s writing. He has an easy confidence to his prose t
Laura Bouch
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Such a good book but felt like it became slightly ridiculous with the fantasy angle at the end!
Alan Fricker
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library
Painful to read withiut any great benefit
Baba
Jun 08, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dystopia
Set in a post apocalyptic near-future Manchester, depressed, drug addicted and wheelchair bound Brian gets involved in danger with a crisis that will change is life and viewpoint of the world forever. 3 out of 12
Steve Gillway
Feb 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopian
A pretty hard book to read. I get the dystopia but the satire is too graphic for my taste. The first 50 pages took some getting through. On the plus side, there are some memorable scenes of a potential Mancunian future.
Glen
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This will make you feel dirty. Kelman’s How Late it was, how late smashed headlong against Noon’s Vurt without any redemption. It’s hard to read, because you just don’t like anybody: It was handed to me by Jared with the words “This is a really good book that I am not enjoying”. Which is about right. It captures something essential about the soul of Britain in this moment, and that is its ugly underbelly, all the racism, classism, the crime, the differences, the difficulties, and fear the future ...more
Edward Grigg
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately I found this book a really hard read, it got to the point I was forcing myself to read it. Rarely for me I had to bite the bullet and stop reading it. After reading the previous plaudits from all quarters , I just believe it didn't click with me. I hope this doesn't put people off though, as many people have enjoyed it.
Al
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
A recognisable and horrendous dystopia which seems alarmingly plausible. As the book is set only a few years from now, this is a worrying prospect.
Sep 26, 2013 rated it liked it
good, but not a pleasant read
Ben
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
Was ready to give this 3 stars for the quality of the writing but the final few chapters took such a nosedive that I had to give it a lower score.
Connaire Demain
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
A rather nervy and disturbing premise, into riots that have plunged 2018 Manchester into ruin and chaos. some very good destructive descriptions of the City
Holly Carding

• The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Veiled Detective
  • Jeremy Hardy Speaks Volumes: words, wit, wisdom, one-liners and rants
  • Starve Acre
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Scroll of the Dead
  • Creeping Jenny (John Nyquist, #3)
  • The Shadow Saint (The Black Iron Legacy, #2)
  • El laberinto de los espíritus (El cementerio de los libros olvidados, #4)
  • Dead Astronauts (Borne, #2)
  • The Warehouse
  • False Value (Rivers of London, #8)
  • Car Park Life
  • An Account of the Decline of the Great Auk, According to One Who Saw It
  • Spring (Seasonal, #3)
Matt (and M.T.) Hill is a writer from Tameside, Greater Manchester.

He is the author of THE FOLDED MAN (2013), Philip K. Dick Award nominee GRAFT (2016) and ZERO BOMB (2019).

His latest novel is THE BREACH (2020).