Start by marking “The Rig (The Rig, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Rig (The Rig, #1)

The Rig

(The Rig #1)

Fifteen-year-old Will Drake has made a career of breaking out from high-security prisons. His talents have landed him at The Rig, a specialist juvenile holding facility in the middle of the Arctic Ocean. No one can escape from The Rig. No one except for Drake...

After making some escape plans and meeting the first real friends of his life, Drake quickly realises that all is
Published September 5th 2013 by Hot Key Books

To ask other readers questions about The Rig, please sign up.
William McGinn Well, it progresses some of the story in Crystal Force and essentially, without some of the magic, The Rig would probably not turn out to be a VERY…moreWell, it progresses some of the story in Crystal Force and essentially, without some of the magic, The Rig would probably not turn out to be a VERY bad prison. A lot of YA novels like this use magic to show an ambition towards the antagonist, and many teen readers like magic.(less)

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review has been posted on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for your chance to win a paperback copy (Australians only until 13/10/13)

Reading The Rig is like putting together a puzzle – you know how it’s going to end, but you don’t know how it’s going to get there. From a seemingly impossible situation, to one that slowly and surely unravels as opportunities arise, The Rig presented a perfectly paced story about imprisonment and escape.

As a fan of the show Prison Break, I had to see how The Ri
Skip
Nov 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
After having escaped from a few juvie prisons, 15-year old Will Drake is sent to maximum security version on a remote oil rig. Will narrowly escapes a confrontation with the prison bully, and is assigned the worst possible job, mucking the pipes. However, he defends his cellmate, who in turn helps Will remove his tracking device so Will can work on his escape plan as well as discover what the privately-owned prison operator is really doing in its remote location. I liked the backstories of the c ...more
Missedutton
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this book, as a judge for the Hot Key Books/Guardian Young Writers Prize and loved it! I'm a school librarian and many of my students read the book, to help me judge also. They all loved it - Loads of them said it was the best book they have ever read - and still talk to me about it! I can't wait to get my hands on a proper copy of this book! Definitely worth a read!
Cheryl
Oct 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
I picked this book up at least on four different occasions. Each time I only got a few chapters in and then I was right back to putting the book down. Try, try as I might I could not get into this story or the characters. I finally stopped trying. What I did pick up on this book was the language and violence. It is a good thing that I pre-read all of the books before I give them to my nephews. Due to the nature of this story and the language with violence I don't think this would is a good one f ...more
Kate
Will Drake has already escaped from three maximum security juvenile detention facilities. But he’s seen nothing like the Rig. Located in the middle of the Arctic Ocean at a former oil rig, it’s not just the conditions that are brutal. With a tracker accounting for each inmates every move and guards who are crueller than the weather – it seems like there’s no escape for Will. But he’s determined. With a techno-genius for a cell mate and a girl who helps Will discover some of the secrets the Rig h ...more
Tracy
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow!
For me, YA sometimes walks the line of feeling a bit filtered, but not in this case. Joe does a great job of creating interesting characters with just enough backstory to make them interesting without getting bogged down with detail, and an interesting near-future world.
The story moves briskly, and the supporting characters each feel like they definitely have their own stories.
I can't wait for the sequel!
Patricia Kaniasty
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was a action packed adventure story. I loved the characters, especially Tristan. My imagination went wild with the description of the underwater level of the prison. Eerie, cold, magical.......fantastic.
Tikaa
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted over at fANGIRLconfessions

4 1/2 stars!

So this is how it feels to be pleasantly surprised? When I first picked up The Rig, I honestly had no clue what to expect. I used to watch Prison Break all the time, (I thought Wentworth Miller was kinda cute) and the synopsis just screamed this show. So I dived in expecting to be thoroughly entertained, and boy did Joe Ducie deliver! Not only did he give me a fast paced plot, (something I desperately needed btw), but he was able to cook up
Anthony Burt
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Joe Ducie's debut Young Adult novel, The Rig, is about prison-break expert and anti-authoritarian teen, Will Drake. Sent to a maximum security middle-of-nowhere oil rig - which has been transformed into a juvenile prison - Drake immediately yearns to escape, as he has done from every other penitentiary he's been thrown in.

Written in a fast-paced, accessible voice, I enjoyed reading this book because there was a definite sense of "place" with it. I knew I was on an oil rig with all the main chara
Emma
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: guest-reviews
Review by Jack - Year 8

Will Drake, a fifteen year old boy has become an escape artist, breaking out of high security prisons. His skills have landed him in The Rig, a juvenile detention facility in the Arctic Ocean. The warden at The Rig is obsessed with a glowing substance “Crystal-X” which gives exposed individuals powerful abilities. He thought the rig was inescapable, until he met Will…

In the past, Will escaped high security prisons all over the world but he kept getting caught within weeks
Cady
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Will Drake doesn’t believe in impossible.There is no escape from the Rig. A maximum security juvenile prison stranded in the middle of the Arctic Ocean- every movement is tracked, every door is locked. But Will Drake likes a challenge, and this will be the biggest one yet. Imprisoned in an impossibly secure institution for the very worst of the world’s kids, Drake knows two things- he will have have to be tough to survive, and there is always a way out. But the Rig holds a dark secret. The Rig i ...more
Delaney Murphy
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When you pull a book of a bookshelf, you read it. Sometimes you like the book other times you love it. But it's still just a book off an ordinary bookshelf. Imagine there is a bookshelf filled with only the most extrodinary books in the world. Sure enough The Rig is guaranteed to be on one of the shelves.
The Rig is told from a character's perspective that makes the book distinctive from the rest. I fell in love with the main character named William Drake. Unlike most books characters who are no
Jen
Sep 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
My thanks to NetGalley and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children's Book Group for an eARC copy of this book to read and review.

This book irked me a lot. It wasn't bad, per say, but it had a lot of my new pet peeve and a few other things that really annoyed me.

First thing that annoyed me, the Big Bad was a former US military man, who had gone to fat (he jiggled, waddled and had bulk) and who liked fine clothing and Stetson hats. Slightly trope-y. And honestly, I'm tired of Americans, especially mi
Ivan
May 18, 2017 added it
So far, this is the best book i have ever read.
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Fans of the Percy Jackson or Alex Rider spy/adventures stories will find a lot to like here: smart-mouthed 15 year old who uses ingenuity and observation skills in order to break out of maximum security prisons. In this case, our hero, Will Drake, is a bit more serious and there is a supernatural element that will greatly impact future books in the series. But there are enough explosions and wanton destruction to keep r
Ciara HH
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love me a good prison book. The Rig was a humorous, light hearted book that I picked off the shelf simply for the interesting look of the cover as I am guilty at always judging a book by that. I read the first couple of pages and knew I wouldn't hate it entirely, so I bought the book and proceeded to finish it that day and even stayed up slightly later than I should have to finish. That being said, I have some issues with the book.

My biggest pet peeve is when an author fails to make his charac
Shannon
Aug 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
Rating: 3 . 5 stars.

Click Link for Review: http://adventuresofateenagebookworm.b...

---------------

I was actually jumping up and down with joy when I received this book for review. One look at the cover and the blurb and I knew it would be unlike any other book I'd read before. Thanks again to Hot Key Books for sending me the novel ahead of publication in exchange for an honest review.

Firstly I'd like to say that I was a little disappointed with the novel. I did enjoy the book but there were as
Kirsty
Jul 20, 2013 rated it liked it
I must admit I started this book not really knowing what I was letting myself into and worrying that it might be a bit too much of a boy book (note there is no such thing as a 'boy' book you naughty book blogger) but I must say from the first page I was utterly hooked.

Firstly this book is so fast paced you barely get a moment to draw breathe let alone anything else. I needed to keep reading to find out what happened next and found that I flew through it in a matter of hours.

I loved that it was
Jo
Feb 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Will Drake has a perfect track record of breaking out of prisons, and he is sure the Rig will be no exception. In spite of the fact that he’s in the middle of the ocean with a tracker that logs every single movement (and fines him for being out of bounds), he is sure that a weakness will present itself, and he can exploit the very routines used to confine him to attain his freedom. But there is a dark secret lurking on the Rig. Inmates seem to have special powers. Will’s favorite psychologist di ...more
Sharon Corbett
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have reread this book a few times now. When I read it, each time I fail to put it down. Its plot twists are erfectly timed and produce such an intriguing story. Its a complete pleasure to have a book such as this in your Read list.
Dovile
Sep 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very interesting YA prison break story with a twist set in a near, somewhat dystopian future. It was nearly impossible to put down before finishing, and I really liked it that the main character was male, because I find them be much rarer in YA literature (at least in the genres I usually read), so it was interesting to read about.

POV: third person.

Locations: takes place almost solely on The Rig, a high security juvenile prison in the middle of an ocean.

Violence: enough to realize that you'd n
Jeff Raymond
What would you call a prison break story that's also a super soldier story that's also sort of like The Hunger Games but really more like any other dystopia going? I think The Rig tries to be that. It's a solid story about a kid, jailed multiple times for multiple questionable offenses, who uncovers a pretty crazy secret at the oil rig-style prison he's stuck on in the Arctic Ocean. The secret is more than a little bit of a game changer and really changes the tone of the story completely, but is ...more
Zach Addison
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a gripping sci-fi prison book that is about a boy who is amassing at escaping prisons until he ends up In a maximum security decommissioned oil rig which has a secret experiment going on in the background.
Catherine
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
An extremely action packed story about a kid who wants to save his mother fighting a powerful global corporation. A few surprising twists and turns keep the reader guessing. A good solid read I'd recommend, particularly for teenage boys.
Bethany
Oct 07, 2015 rated it liked it
It was pretty good. I couldn't finish it though. The only reason it isn't 4 stars is because the ending has a whole chuck that it really didn't need.
apostrophe A
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
One of my favourite prison escape stories. Quite refreshing for a YA book for sure. Highly recommended!
Lenny Dutton
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I took part as a judge for the Hot Key Books Young Writers Prize. Lots of the students in my last school said that this was the best book they had ever read!
Benjamin Davis
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I look for a book, I look for books with adventure, action, suspense and a twist. I went into Joe Ducies book not knowing the plot, or even the genre, but this book didn’t let me down. I thought that this book was fresh. I don’t know of any other books like this and I stayed interested all the way through.

I found that this book was very well written. It described all the characters thoughts and emotions and even though the main character was a criminal, I found myself on his side
Alexis
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow. Okay. This book was good. Really good.
I am normally much more of a fantasy person, yet I am never one to ignore a jailbreak/heist-esque plot. And boy was I not disappointed.
I loved the characters- Will Drake's personality was well developed, and I never had to wait long for the exciting action that followed in his wake. Tristan and Irene (the two other main protagonists) completed the holy trinity of character archetypes- strong protagonist, nerdy "sidekick," and spunky (READ: kick-ass) fr
P.K. Lasky
Oct 06, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars. This checks the boxes of a solid YA action/adventure story. I finished it, which means it beat out three other books languishing on my bedside table, but it didn't blow me away.

The main character, Drake, was well constructed. He had a clear goal and meaningful reasons for his actions. I also liked the budding friendship between Drake and two other Rig inmates, and I thought the author did a good job leading the reader into the dark secrets of the Rig.

This story fell short of 4 stars
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Writing Clementine
  • The Disappearance of Ember Crow (The Tribe #2)
  • The Department of Cautionary Tales
  • The Sky So Heavy
  • The Astrologer's Daughter
  • The Mimosa Tree
  • The Wing-Friends
  • Pretty Girl
  • Deception (Dark Matter #2)
  • Escape From Ruskin Heights
  • The First Third
  • To The Sea
  • Year's Best Young Adult Speculative Fiction 2013
  • In the Dark Spaces
  • Bitter Like Orange Peel (The Bell Collection)
  • Ascendant (Ascendant Trilogy, #1)
  • The Dark at the End (Tunnel Vision, #2)
  • Game Plan
Joe Ducie (1987-) is a writer from Perth, Western Australia. By day, he charges a toll to cross a bridge he doesn’t own. Yet by night, in a haze of scotch-fuelled insanity, he works tirelessly on an array of stories both short and long. Joe possesses a fierce love of a smooth finish. Under no circumstances should you ask him just what that means.

Joe was born in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria in Novemb

The Rig (2 books)
  • Crystal Force (The Rig, #2)