Start by marking “Young Avengers, Volume 1: Style > Substance” as Want to Read:
Young Avengers, Volume 1: Style > Substance

Young Avengers, Volume 1: Style > Substance (Young Avengers #8)

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  7,845 Ratings  ·  491 Reviews
Legacy isn't a dirty word...but it's an irrelevant one. It's not important what our parents did. It matters what WE do. Someone has to save the world. You're someone. Do the math. The critically acclaimed team of Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie reinvent the teen super hero comic for the 21st century, uniting Wiccan, Hulkling and Kate "Hawkeye" Bishop with Kid Loki, Marvel ...more
Published September 17th 2013 by Marvel (first published August 28th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Young Avengers, Volume 1, please sign up.

Dawn Hyatt You need to read Journey Into Mystery to understand what happened. The old Loki died, evil Loki, King Loki, Loki the murderer whatever you want to…moreYou need to read Journey Into Mystery to understand what happened. The old Loki died, evil Loki, King Loki, Loki the murderer whatever you want to call him. Though as is the case with Marvel characters no one is ever really dead. You have his reincarnated self, Kid Loki who was genuinely trying to recreate himself and change into something good and then you have the Echo of murderer Loki, the murder weapon the Echo that King Loki left behind in order to inhabit Kid Loki's body and leech off of his shiny new reputation. This Echo was forced by Kid Loki into the body of a Magpie named he named Ikol. Lying, scheming, and waiting for the perfect opportunity to kill Kid Loki and take over his body. So the Kid Loki that we see in Young Avengers is the old Loki's Echo and the Kid Loki Spirit is Kid Loki, or maybe a manifestation of the Echo's conscience or both. (less)

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Jul 02, 2015 Jesse (JesseTheReader) rated it really liked it
um i loved this and i just went to find volume 2 of the trade paperback and i can't find it ANYWHERE. i need it. i must find it. IT'S GOTTA BE OUT THERE SOMEWHERE.
Anne
Oct 25, 2013 Anne rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Anne by: Sesana
Ok, ok, ok! I get it now, guys!

Because I'm me, and my library likes to order books is some wonky order, I had to read Young Avengers, Vol. 2: Alternative Culture, before I read this one.
Big mistake. HUGE! Don't do it.
Volume 2 didn't make me stand up and cheer (possibly because I was missing relevant plot points), but it wasn't awful, either. However, for the life of me, I couldn't figure out why my friends were rating this one so highly.
Aaaaaaand now I know...
Style > Substance is nothing sh
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
*3.5 stars

Really interesting setup, and something I want to continue, but a bit more exposition could have been useful. Kind of hard to go into this one with no prior Young Avengers knowledge, which I definitely don't have. But I did super enjoy how diverse this was. Like yes!!!
Etnik
Aug 29, 2015 Etnik rated it it was amazing
HERE'S TO THE BEST GRAPHIC NOVEL THAT I READ THIS YEAR.THIS IS EVERYTHING.
Sam Quixote
Oct 31, 2013 Sam Quixote rated it it was amazing
You know how certain stories feature kids or teens in them because the storyteller somehow thinks that kids/teens won’t identify with the grown-up heroes and need someone relatable? That’s generally bogus – nobody wants to be Tom Cruise’s whiny kids in War of the Worlds, they want to be Tom Cruise. Nobody wants to be Jar Jar Binks or kid Anakin, they want to be Obi-Wan! Young Avengers somehow subverts that rule by making their teen characters the characters teens – and adults! - would want to be ...more
Maxwell
Aug 22, 2015 Maxwell rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2015
This was a really solid first volume of a comic book series. It was easier to follow than probably any other comic I've read, which was nice. It introduced all the characters in a really natural way while still having its own plot. And it alludes to some sort of backstory that I'm intrigued to find out about it the next volumes. If you like Marvel but with a fun twist--the characters are all offspring of the Avengers--then I'd recommend it. Also Loki is great.
Crystal Starr Light
Jun 18, 2014 Crystal Starr Light rated it really liked it
Bullet Review:

This was a lot of fun. Diverse characters (several women, one Hispanic, and then the most adorable gay couple), witty dialogue, some twists and turns. But mostly, it's the dialogue and the humor that I enjoyed - some of the finer plot points were lost on me.
Liam
Aug 15, 2015 Liam rated it really liked it
CAN MARVEL PLEASE MAKE THIS SERIES INTO A NETFLIX SHOW OR SOMETHING I NEED ONE IN MY LIFE!!!

Okay so this series was absolutely amazing!! This bunch of characters was such a brilliant mix and they all just worked really well together!

I felt like it represented teenagers in a very accurate light; from game of thrones references to the tumblr style previously section at the start of every issue! They tackled and represented homosexuality, depression, racial diversity etc so so well and I really do
Patty  (Bookish Wanderlove)
Source: Library
Sesana
Sep 19, 2013 Sesana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: superhumans, comics
So much fun. I love the Young Avengers in general (though, sadly, we're down a few from the original team) and I've really loved reading Kid Loki. Putting them all in one book, written by Gillen, who is clearly having the time of his life? Near perfection. Now, I didn't have a clue about Miss America, but I think I like her well enough from what I saw here. I'm grateful that Marvel is getting less squeamish about Teddy and Billy's relationship. They were always a cute couple, but they could go s ...more
Mike
Sep 20, 2013 Mike rated it it was amazing
Killer opener guys. Kick ass like a rock star. Past the opening credits, this feels nothing like the classic melodrama of "teenage angst" and a lot like a great adventure with young people who are still plenty fine with making a lot of mistakes (as long as it's in pursuit of their own selfish happiness). This I why you bring talented creators to Marvel - keep breathing fresh air into the worn-out stories.

Rather entirely self-aware in the writing Mr. Gillen, and thank God for that. Sometimes we h
Nicolo Yu
Mar 11, 2016 Nicolo Yu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this in the monthly floppies but reading this as a digital trade is the ultimate reading experience.

I read this on an iPad on the Marvel app while playing on Spotify the recommended tracks of some key scenes and it was just awesome. The next thing I should do is to pick some recommended reading music from the playlist Kieron Gillen posted on his Tumblr. I have a feeling that would be a whole different reading experience.

If you're a Gillen and McKelvie fan, you should get this.
Nick
Aug 19, 2013 Nick rated it did not like it
The more I think about this series, the more I absolutely hate it. I'm sorry. I know everyone else loved it, but I absolutely hated it.

I started with Heinberg's run of Young Avengers, you know, the original, and fell in love with that. It was absolutely wonderful. There were diverse characters with interesting plot-lines, great chemistry, and so much life to them. It was wonderful. I was so excited to hear it was starting a new, and even that Kid Loki was being added. I was excited. I was so di
Martin
Sep 13, 2013 Martin rated it liked it
Shelves: used-to-own, reviewed
Style > Substance. At once the title of this story arc, and a pretty good summing up of the series (so far). For while the visuals are eye-popping and the script is witty (and it does try oh-so-hard to be hip), the whole plot feels contrived and just an excuse to, um... assemble this new version of the team. But when you come to think of it, a lot of team books are like that. I guess now I just notice it more. That said, it is my favourite Kieron Gillen-written comic book, and I'm a BIG fan o ...more
Gully Ditta
May 07, 2017 Gully Ditta rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I have always liked the Young Avengers as a team, so I really enjoyed reading this fantastic volume, showcasing (some of) the team. Marvel Boy was totally awesome in this volume, and I can’t wait to see more of him!

description

I did not find Miss America compelling, however: she was rather one-dimensional from what I’ve seen thus far. This stood out, since the other characters showed more depth, and were a lot more fun. The storyline surrounding Mother, the inter-dimensional parasite, was a little bizarre—h
Leo
Nov 08, 2014 Leo rated it really liked it
3.5/5

I know about the Avengers because of the movies but the Young Avengers? Who the hell are they? Apparently they are Kate Bishop aka. Hawkeye (the second one or whatever, two people with the same name confuses me) and his hot alien (or is it from another Earth? Man, this stuff is hard to keep track off with newcomers like me)boyfriend... friend with benefits... whatever, Loki who suddenly is a teenager (level with me here, I didn't know him before the Thor movie. Btw, I don't like Tom Hiddles
Logan
Feb 14, 2017 Logan rated it it was ok
Ya not my cup of coffee... Picked this one up since I heard this series had The Wicked + The Divine team work on it! I like Kieron Gillen's writing in The Wicked + The Divine, but here, I could not really get into the story! Jamie McKelvie's artwork is fantastic as always though!
Cassie  R. (cassie-loves-reading)
Okay so more like 3.5 but yeah. I thought this was a pretty good introduction for a series. The character introductions are pretty brief and the story jumps a bit in some parts. I'm sure the group gets grounded more in the following Volumes but for this issue I was a little confused in some parts. It probably didn't help that this is the first Marvel comic I'm reading. In the end I did enjoy reading it and the art was great. I'll probably pick up Volume 2 to see where it goes from there.
Enna
Jul 03, 2015 Enna rated it really liked it
Andrew Greatbatch
Oct 13, 2015 Andrew Greatbatch rated it really liked it
I have no idea whatsoever about these characters' pasts, but what I did understand, I enjoyed, a lot.

Hulkling and Wiccan are so cute.
Matthew
True Rating:4.5 (And be grateful!)

I have heard about Young Avengers for quite awhile thanks to television show, movies, and from fellow YouTubers. I have no clue about the individual characters, their super powers, and their parents except the famous ones like Iron Man, Captain America, Hawkeye and the rest. At first I was apprehensive about reading this book because I did not know if I have to read any series before this but from my understanding and how this is a relaunch series that you can b
Sana
'What's happening?'
'I'm happening. Famously so.'

This was entirely fun thanks to Kid Loki's shenanigans. He never disappoints and the parents totally creeped me out for a bit there.

America Chavez remains the best ever, Kate Bishop is definitely the superior Hawkeye and Teddy and Billy are just adorable af.
Jason Stalides
Even after reading a ton of positive reviews, including several from new-ish Goodreads buds whose opinions I've come to value, I was still pretty amazed at how good this book is. Great story, great characters. And Kid Loki, whose name is pretty cheesy, is a really fun character. The cheese is actually a strength of the book--the book runs with the cheese, acknowledges and makes fun of it, and makes it interesting. More please!
Miguel
Jan 06, 2015 Miguel rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel

It was a Quick read, not bad tho.
The story was original but not an amazing one. what i really enjoy is The team... The characters! And it is really well written.
High hopes... tooooo many hopes for this book and once I finished, I was like...that's it? :/
Andrew
Dec 25, 2015 Andrew rated it really liked it
I absolutely love the Marvel universe and this was just as amazing as I hoped it would be. I actually read this pretty quickly and cannot wait to get my hands on the next volume! I hope it's as good as this one.
Rebecca
A lot of fun but I felt as though something was missing and I wasn't too attached to the characters. Looking forward to reading more!
Ashley Brooks
Apr 22, 2015 Ashley Brooks rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was super fun!
Pamela
Every so often, a book comes along and it's so deliciously brilliant that I simply cannot express my thoughts in a cohesive, thoughtful review. Young Avengers by Kieran Gillen is one such book/series/comic/bundle of AWESOMESAUCE.

I got that same wild grin on my face as I had when I met John Green, or Mark Waid, or Gene Luen Yang. It looks a little bit like I'm terrified because I AM SO HAPPY. Unfortunately, I was making this face when I came out of the break room at work, so...

With the exception
April
I can't condense into words how much I freaking adored this series. Having never had an interest in any of the Avengers primarily, I didn't think I'd make it through this without it being a bit of a slog, but oh boy was it anything BUT. Boasting a pretty good storyline and the most interesting characters I'd encountered in a while, Young Avengers is a treat for those looking for badass art with the substance to match. My beloved Hulkling, my secret love Ms. America and lil Wiccan were a few of t ...more
Nikki
Apr 08, 2014 Nikki rated it it was amazing
I've been sort of reading this since the individual issues came out, but this is the first time I've properly sat down with it and read it all the way through. I'm pretty sure I'm going to love Gillen's run on Young Avengers -- I mean, he gets the humour just right, he combines the characters in fun ways, and the art does a lot of interesting meta things that my comics & graphic novels class would've had a whale of a time with.

Since I haven't read the Secret Invasion, Civil War or Dark Reign
  • Young Avengers, Volume 2: Family Matters
  • Captain Marvel, Volume 2: Down
  • Loki: Agent of Asgard, Vol. 1: Trust Me
  • Hawkeye, Volume 2: Little Hits
  • Young Avengers Presents
  • Secret Avengers, Volume 1: Let's Have a Problem
  • Runaways, Vol. 3: The Good Die Young (Runaways, #3)
  • Journey into Mystery, Featuring Sif, Volume 2: Seeds of Destruction
  • All-New X-Men, Volume 2: Here to Stay
Kieron Gillen is a comic book writer and former media journalist.
More about Kieron Gillen...

Young Avengers (10 books)
  • Young Avengers, Volume 1: Sidekicks
  • Dark Reign: Young Avengers
  • Avengers: The Children's Crusade
  • Young Avengers, Volume 2: Alternative Culture
  • Young Avengers, Volume 3: Mic-Drop at the Edge of Time and Space

“Chico, todavía estoy como para al menos dar dos patadas más. Una para llevarnos a casa. Y otra para arrancarte la cabeza.” 0 likes