Start by marking “The Other Man: 21 Writers Speak Candidly about Sex, Love, Infidelity, & Moving on” as Want to Read:

Who is the other man?

He’s an accident waiting to happen: the skateboarder round the bend, the smiling barista with the extra hot mocha, the computer geek eager to retool your mate’s hard drive. He’s a relationship gatecrasher bound by no rules and with no sense of fair play. Like Caesar, he comes, he sees, he conquers. On the flip side, you or I can be the other man, charg
Published April 9th 2013 by JMS Books LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Other Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Man

Nancy
Posted at Shelf Inflicted

I was ecstatic to get the opportunity to read this collection of stories, especially since Rodney Ross, author of The Cool Part of His Pillow, is one of the contributors, and I really loved his first book.

Each of the stories in this collection is deeply personal and candid and offers different perspectives on infidelity. Human emotions are very complex and relationships are hard work, requiring commitment from both partners. Life is full of unexpected changes and I reall
A.B. Gayle
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay, non-fiction, shelf-32
To say that “The Other Man” is all about infidelity is short-changing the subject and defining the concept by very narrow values. While it’s true that for many readers and reviewers, infidelity is a deal breaker, the fact that these essays are all based on actual experiences makes them an intriguing study of this taboo topic.

Each essay shows a different aspect of the picture, making the issue less black and white and much more complex.

Firstly, Jeffrey Ricker details how while young, single and d
Kazza
May 22, 2013 marked it as to-read
Great authors. Interesting topic - love it or hate it. Plus, a portion of the proceeds go to a good cause -

A portion of the proceeds from the sale of this anthology will go to the 'It Gets Better Project'
Wandering Reader
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful collection of personal essays ranging from the dramatic to the comical. Each one makes for enjoyable and/or insightful reading. Several of them truly made me feel the emotions being conveyed as if it were my own story. I am sure that I'll reread some of these essays in the future. Good job, Guys!!

Now I'll have to find time to look up several of these contributors and add other works of personal interest to my to be read lists.

Elisa Rolle
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
2013 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention (5* from at least 1 judge)
Donna LaValley
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent anthology. Paul Fahey brought 21 stories together, each true -or mostly true- about the experience of having someone else enter his relationship. In some cases, the experience was of being that other man. Each story had something wonderful in it.

Most were written with the wisdom of 20-20 hindsight, looking back with humor, gentle reflection, or of lessons learned. Some stories go back to the time when AIDS was a mysterious killer taking their friends away. The stigma of bei
Mitch
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: biographical
This collection of short stories about infidelity in gay relationships has scored high ratings, but not from me.

Why?

~Because it was a book full of betrayals, broken trust and broken hearts, hurt and pain, possible reconciliation and forgiveness- and let's not forget all that excellent sex and short-term bliss.

In other words, just what you'd expect from a book about infidelity.

My criticism isn't about the storytelling skills the writers displayed; it's about the depressing effect of reading one
Cathy Brockman
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Normally I do anthologies individually but this one has so many stories and they are all pretty short it would be hard to do without spoilers. I have to say this is a very beautiful heartfelt compilation of essays form some very fabulous authors. I appreciate them baring their heart and souls and sharing their experience with the Other man or being the Other man. All of these stories will touch your heart and most will make you cry. Awesome job!
Recommendations: If you like true stories, antholog
Hazel
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
this book is about relationships and what is the deal braker. These are authors who are excellent and portray the heartbreak and complexities of relationships. This book would help anyone in a relationship but especially the gay man. But this information is wise and useful so don't let that stop you from reading. I rated this high as it was a very good book with useful and wise information.
I received this book free to review. It did not influence my review.
willowdog
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
21 authors write amazingly diverse memoirs on the theme of infidelity in gay relationships. Honest and revealing portraits of longing and loving the unavailable person in a committed relationship or being the "wronged" person in the committed relationship and the challenges this creates. Found it funny and perceptive.
Allen Mack
May 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Greatly varied in scope and subject matter, but consistent in high quality writing, The Other Man should be read by all: gay, straight, in or contemplating being in a relationship.
The 21 true stories tell of experiences - tragic through funny - that have occurred in the authors' lives. Each engrossing in its own way.
Highly recommended.
Paul
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Martha  L. Rose
Apr 14, 2014
Allen
Jun 10, 2013
Rodney Ross
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Sharon
Apr 29, 2013
Emilie Titchen
May 05, 2013
Jeffrey Ricker
May 14, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Liz Perrotti
Darcee Kraus
Bonnie English
Julie
May 30, 2013
PAUL ALAN FAHEY writes for JMS Books. He is the author of the Lovers and Liars series and the editor of the 2013 Rainbow Award-winning anthology, The Other Man: 21 Writers Speak Candidly About Sex, Love, Infidelity, &Moving On. His first LGBT novella,
The View From 16 Podwale Street, published by JMS
Books, won a 2012 Rainbow Award. Over the years, his writing has appeared in numerous literary