Start by marking “Rebecca's World” as Want to Read:
Rebecca's World

Rebecca's World

It was the eleventh day of the school holidays and Rebecca was bored. But events take a dramatic turn for the better (or worse) when she finds herself transported to a distant planet whose people are terrorized by jelly-like monsters called Ghosts.

Rebecca's World is a marvellously gripping (and frequently comic) adventure story, with a memorable cast of characters. A stor
Published January 28th 1978 by Vanguard Press (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Rebecca's World, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Rebecca's World
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing

'Rebecca's World' was my favourite book as a child. I spent many evenings staring at the stars and willing myself to be transported, like Rebecca, to a more colourful world... Unfortunately mother dearest didn't approve of my choice of literature and my book mysteriously disappeared after about the tenth reading. I've spent many years looking for an affordable copy until my husband bought my current copy as a present (and yes, it was expensive!) Now, over 35 years later, this book doesn't disa
Clara Benson
When I am Queen I will decree that this book be brought back into print and a copy given to every schoolchild in the country and never mind the budget deficit. It's an exciting, humorous sci-fi/fantasy adventure with a female lead, quirky sidekicks, scary baddies, and a nice, understated environmental message to boot, and it's just as entertaining *ahem* years later as it was when I first read it as a child.
Mags Delaney
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humour, sci-fi, childrens
I love this book ... I have read it to possibly every class I have taught alongside Michael Murpogo's Kensuke's Kingdom over the last 20 years. Both books have encouraged reluctant readers to pick up a book ...
I love the characters in Rebecca's World - they are created so well - I hope it's never turned into a TV Series or film (though it would make a wonderful one) because the characters live on the pages and in the imagination ... I cannot imagine for one moment anyone worthy enough to don Cap
Asli
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was maybe 8 years old and spent the next couple of years trying to transport myself to the stars. I don't remember it in detail but I know that I loved this book with all my heart and took great care of it. When I had finished, I wrote a mini review of it on one of the blank pages inside. I still have my copy and it's in excellent condition - which makes me very happy as it is no longer being printed and the price has shot up to a whooping £40 from its original price; £3. ...more
Rebecca
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was bought this book many years ago because of my name and read it as a child and again more recently. It gripped and scared the pants off me as a child and still held my attention as an adult. Nation is also famed for inventing the Darleks and the character in Rebecca's World are just as rounded with the evil ones being just as dark as his fearsome machines.
Like Potter, I believe this book crosses the child/adult divide and have always been amazed that it was not more popular.
Mel
I got a copy of Paul Darrow reading the audio book of this from Big Finish because it was Terry Nation and what could be better than Paul Darrow reading a children's book?

But I did laugh. Here we had a young girl going on an adventure to another magical world where things are dangerous and different. (As young girls frequently do in stories). This young girl was quite puzzled as she noticed there were NO TREES in the world she went to. However she TOTALLY FAILED TO NOTICE THERE WERE NO OTHER GI
Jessica
Nov 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile
Like several others, I read this as a child in the late seventies or early eighties. I began looking for it again my senior year in high school only to find that it was out of print.....I waited twenty years to get my hands on a copy, and it was as wonderful as I remembered, although it seemed shorter...;)

Now this book is carefully displayed on my living room shelf. I have been happy to expose my own children to it...but I'm not letting it out of my sight. If you can get your hands on a copy, i
Frank Shailes
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Wizard of Oz meets "Doctor Who - Death to the Daleks". Great fun. I bought this from the school book club when I was about 8 or 9. The illustrations are wonderful. There's an earlier hardback edition with some colour as well. The story harks back to Terry Nation's TV adventure scripts but is ideal for children, with some mild scares and lots of humour. The characters are broad but very memorable for children. Highly recommended.
Clare Davidson
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book, I borrowed it from the library as a child and adored it. I went back looking for it time and again but forgot what it was called or who the author was. I found it again as an adult because a friend had a copy and I'm reading it to my children for the second time. We all love it. Five stars.
Amanda
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I first encountered this book when I was in what is now called Year 4. Miss Briggs read it to us at the end of the day at school, a bit every day. I loved it. I was enthralled. Copies are rare now, but a brilliant friend bought me the audio book and I'm pleased to say that 32 years has done nothing to diminish its fabulousness.
Joz Rhodes
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book that kick-started my fascination with weird fiction, science fiction and flights of fantasy.

The best book a 6 year old, wide-eyed creative could possibly read. And still captivating the first time I read it again 30 and 40 years later.

And it still both tickles and slightly disturbs me every time I read there's a GHOST approaching!
Louise Paton
May 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favourite books of all time! It was read to me at primary school and then I bought it about 6 years ago for a lot of money - but it was really worth it!
Joy Lawson
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've loved this book since I was a child and when my husband bought me it for Christmas, I couldn't wait to get started. Thoroughly enjoyed it the 2nd time too and will keep it to reread.
Mathew
My knowledge of Terry Nation is based on a mix between his work on Blake’s 7 and Doctor Who (he created the Daleks). When I first joined Twitter, I heard, with some reverence of a children’s book he had written back in 1975 called Rebecca’s World. Since it had been written by Nation, it steadily achieved cult status and was too expensive for me buy. By lucky chance, I found out that our University library had a copy.

Following a spate of tropes from Alice in Wonderland, The Wizard of Oz and odd
Rebecca Nation
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I would just like to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you for taking the time to write so many kind and heartwarming reviews of my dad's book. I deeply appreciate the wonderful comments, sentiments and suggestions, all of which I will take into consideration for possible future plans.

It's always a pleasure to answer your questions and discuss the book. You can find me on Facebook (Rebecca M Nation) and Twitter (@RebeccaMNation). I look forward to hearing from you.
Sarah Sammis
At the start of 2010, my friend Linda made a quick post about a favorite children's novel she was re-reading, Rebecca's World by Terry Nation. On that alone I added it to my wishlist and eighteen months after doing that, it bubbled to the top of my list and I was able to cross it off. I'm glad I paid attention to her post.

Rebecca's World was Terry Nation's first children's novel. It's in the style of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum o
Kim
Jul 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book when I was a child, so much that Rebecca and Captain K stuck in my mind long after I'd forgotten the finer points of the novel. Purely on the memory of enjoying it, I bought it for my nephew, who loved it so much he started gabbling to me about things I no longer knew. So, I decided to read it again.

Reading it as an adult made me originally see the narrative as a little too fast-paced and thin, but after two chapters, my criticisms were all forgotten. Fifteen years and an Engli
Daysleeper236
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of my all-time favourite books from childhood. Have been trying in vain to find a copy for years and finally got one via interlibrary loan. Not the same as owning it, but for a few weeks at least I get to be a kid again and hang out with Rebecca, Grisby, Kovak and Captain K.

Some of my favourite quotes are below.

(view spoiler)
RotHead
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books when I was a kid, the only part I remembered was the land of bad habits, but that stuck in my memory for 30-some years. I've been wanting to read this book again over the years but since it was out of print I never bothered to track it down. Now I'm about to have a daughter so I definitely wanted to add this to her book collection. I was sucked right back into Rebecca's World, the story still holding its charm as an adult that I felt as a kid. So glad to be finally able ...more
Gareth
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Charming bit of nonsense from Terry Nation that borrows a lot from Alice in Wonderland and the Oz books. It's probably a bit too random and episodic to be really affecting, but its lead Rebecca manages to be heroic and clever, without becoming insufferable. Knowing Nation wrote this for his daughter lends to whole affair a nice affectionate glow.
Karen
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My absolute fave book - was read to me at junior school, but I moved away before we finished, do I bugged my mum to get me a copy. I just had to know the ending!

It was my first sci-fi book, I never knew who Terry Nation was.
Nikki Howson
Nov 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Loved this as a child. Haven't seen a copy for 30 years, very keen to catch up with it again at some point.
Caroline Bennett
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Really enjoyed this. A fun story with some unusual and wonderful heroes.
Ross Wheeldon
Apr 14, 2020 rated it liked it
An interesting reread from my early years which proves to be a sweet tale, all be it dated and some could say inappropriate for the stranger danger era we live in today. Part Alice in Wonderland, part Wizard of Oz, part The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe and part D&D roll play quest it does not seem to know what exactly it wants to be. With that said would I recommend? Yes and no; adults will probably be bored unless they read it as a child but I think it has enough childish glee for a preteen ...more
Cheryl
Dec 04, 2019 marked it as someday-elsewhere
Not Found
Joy Cunningham
Ellie
Aug 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Nostalgia made me add the extra star! I read this many times as a child and enjoyed it just as much now as an adult. Adventure, memorable characters and a tale of triumph!
Rebecca
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quirky and sweet. A bit random, but that made it memorable. It made me laugh and smile and the pictures were cool. A quick and cute read.
Toli
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Ah, childhood nostalgia. I must have read this half a dozen times at least. Surprisingly unique, and delightfully imaginative both in plot and in setting. Nation manages manages to evoke an incredible sense of wonder and whimsy, and despite the obvious comparisons to Baum's Oz, the book manages to duck any accusations of mimicry by way of sheer inventiveness. If and when I have kids, this will be high on my list of books to give them. I just wish it were easier to find -- sadly, the book appears ...more
Judie Holliday
My daughter Alison (10) loved this book and Claire (12) found it agreeable. Much as I wanted to like it, I found my mind wandered a fair bit while I was listening, a sure sign that I was bored. The morality is strong (and obvious) and the adventure is very picaresque. I was relieved when Nation stopped introducing new characters as I was having trouble holding onto the ones already there. It's a real 'through the wardrobe' adventure, though I wasn't really sure why she needed the adventure or wh ...more

• Malamander (The Legends of Eerie-on-Sea, #1)
  • The Secret Commonwealth (The Book of Dust, #2)
  • Astonishing X-Men, Volume 1: Gifted
  • Dark Shadows: Kingdom of the Dead (Volumes 1-4)
  • Profitable Property Secrets: How to maximise your return on investment through property
  • America Alone: The End of the World As We Know It
  • Star quest 1, spacejack!
  • Astonishing X-Men, Volume 2: Dangerous
  • Modesty Blaise (Modesty Blaise, #1)
  • Dark Shadows Return To Collinwood
  • The Avengers: The Lost Episodes - Volume 4
  • Astonishing X-Men, Volume 3: Torn
  • The Martian Chronicles: A Full-Cast BBC Radio 4 Drama
  • Beneath the Viscoid
  • The Avengers: The Lost Episodes - Volume 5
  • I don't want to go to the Taj Mahal
  • Fluke
  • Who's That Banging on the Ceiling?
Terry Nation was a Welsh screenwriter and novelist. After briefly joining his father's furniture-making business and attempting stand-up comedy, Nation turned his hand to writing and worked on radio scripts for The Goon Show and a range of TV dramas such as The Saint, The Avengers, Z Cars, The Baron, The Champions, Department S and The Persuaders. He went on to write about 100 episodes of Doctor W ...more