Start by marking “Shadow of the Drill” as Want to Read:
Shadow of the Drill

Shadow of the Drill

A brutal experience transforms an unproven young tough into a ruthless killing machine. For fifteen years he waited, building his body into an unstoppable weapon so that vengeance would be had through the strength of his will and the power of his hands.

On the bloodstained streets of a northwestern city the enforcer known as the Drill stalks his prey. Judge, jury, and exec
Published April 5th 2013 by Xlibris Corporation

To ask other readers questions about Shadow of the Drill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow of the Drill

Garrett Addison
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is exactly why I read Indie!

I read a lot of Indie fiction not looking for ‘Diamonds in the rough’, but rather to find interesting books without the staid characters, formulaic plots and over-edited writing. This book epitomises what I enjoy and made for a great fun read; human, raw, angry, lively, original, vengeful, at times violent, other times erotic, and sometimes both violent and erotic!

It’s a revenge story at it’s heart, but Ms D’Chae has put a lot of effort to develop characters who
Bill Ward
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm feeling a bit bad about myself this morning because I loved the two central characters in this book who both take delight in torturing to death, as slowly as possible, the even more evil guys!
What a read!
Exciting, action packed, dark, violent, sexual, gory, disturbing, sad, this is a book that grips you from the first pages and won't let go. It's not for the faint hearted!
You will feel sympathy for Decker and how his life has been turned to violence by a terrible event when he is young but
Beem Weeks
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Rhani D’Chae is not a man, but she sure writes like one. That’s not to say women are less talented or less skillful writers than men. Three of my top five favorite authors are women. What I mean is Rhani D’Chae knows how to write hard-boiled characters just as gritty and believable as those written by Mickey Spillane, Robert B. Parker, and Jonathan Kellerman.

With Shadow of the Drill, D’Chae introduces the world to Decker, known by the nickname the Drill. Decker is a strong, well-built man who ge
G.J. Griffiths
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shadow of the Drill (The Drill Series) (Kindle Edition)
Shadow of the Drill is the first book in The Drill Series by Rhani D’Chae, and is a fast moving and attention grabbing read. Decker (The Drill) is an intense character who is after revenge. He likes to think of it as justice but on his brutal terms and delivering punishment is a thing he relishes. He is haunted by guilt about something traumatic that happened in his past, involving a girl. Readers will be confronted by violence and dialogue
Karen Ingalls
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
The story of Decker who is driven towards revenge in the most vicious way due to the brutal rape of his girlfriend which he witnessed. He is a combination of Tom Cruise and Arnold Schwarzenegger.
I could only give it four stars because the story seemed to drag on with too many explicit and erotic sex scenes involving almost every character. Less description can go a long way rather than word for word.
Well edited and the author has a definitely strong style of writing.
C.S. Boyack
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A darned good story

I won this book as part of a contest, and I'm glad I did. This is a brutal story about crime, revenge, and brotherhood. I took a couple of points off based on the POV head hopping throughout the book. It gets hard to figure out who is doing what at certain places. Then I gave one point back, just because the story is so good. The characters are great. The plot isn't overly complicated, and that allowed me to read with care over those rough patches. This is a good book, and I w
J.p. Sitler
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book would make a great movie, the kind real men like, with spicy chick drama for the ladies. Rhani D'Chae expertly carves out characters in a world where revenge rules served in degrees of pain and torture. We don't know for sure what Decker does for a living but we know it has to do with killing, yet in the end we are rooting for him. A rare gritty mix of violence and tender humanity.
Tania
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Not what I expected... it was much better!
The characters are strong & well developed.
The story is structured smoothly and paced to match the often brutal, raw and graphic scenes.
This is much more than a simple revenge thriller.
Tj Anderson
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. The action was intense & well written, & the characters were likeable. The plot was a basic revenge thing but...I don't know - there was something deeper that held my attention & kept me reading. This os a very good book.
Dakota Dane
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I could NOT put it down! These are some bad ass dudes, and if I was ever in trouble I'd want them to have my back. Tawnee is sexy as hell, and I hope she comes back in the next book.
Danny Duncan
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is totally wild! The author really knows how to reach out and pull a reader in the story. This book is fast-paced, and I couldn't wait to see what happened on the next page.
John Jarmin
May 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book! I loved the relationships between the characters, and how Decker stopped at nothing in his quest for vengeance. I haven't read a book with this much action in quite a while.
Greg Spry
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shadow of the Drill by Rhani D'Chae is a from-the-streets thriller about deep camaraderie and strength of will over physical and emotional pain. The novel offers a detailed account of one man's quest for revenge and how it shapes the lives around him, for better or worse.

The author is a master of the written word. Out of all the classics, tradpubs, and other well-written novels that I've come across, this book might have the best prose of them all. The author takes the time to dive deeply into t
John Podlaski
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed Shadow of the Drill: Born of Circumstance, Bred for Revenge by Rhani D'Chae. Upon starting this book, I thought it was going to be about a serial killer who loves to torture people. What a surprise to find out what was actually taking place and why it was so. Decker (Drill) and his best friend Rudy have been waiting 15 years to take revenge on certain individuals who raped and killed a close friend and beat him up when he tried to help her. During this time, he trained, got ...more
Vashti Quiroz-Vega
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it

Shadow of the Drill by Rhani D’Chae is a suspense/thriller aimed at an adult audience. This kind of thriller is different from what I’m used to reading, but I found it just as enjoyable.

The characters were well developed and I enjoyed the friendship between Decker and Rudy. Although it was difficult for me to relate to their lifestyle I could relate to their love for one another and their need for revenge. A couple of scenes dragged a bit, one character’s function in the story was not clear to m
D.L. Finn
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Shadow of the Drill” is a story that contains killers, strip clubs, sex, prostitution, torture and rapists. All the characters are bad, but well-written. I found myself wondering if I could find empathy in the main characters: Decker, Rudy and Charlene. As cruel as they were, and as brutal as their actions were, I quickly realized--yes, I could. I was invested in Decker’s relationship with Charlene and her strength to stay by his side fighting to be an equal. Rudy’s long-time friendship and loy ...more
Mark Schultz
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am blown away by this book, It left me gasping many times. There is an amazing depth of character for all the actors in this story! Rhani breaks one of my pet peeves of head-hopping, but she does it so very well. I can’t hold it against her. I found only 2 typos in the book and they have been corrected.
This is a steamy action thriller! The street life is faithfully captured, the mean streets have never been meaner, the strippers are never off the stage, and the action leaves me breathless! Thi
Brian O'Hare
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shadow of the Drill Rhani D’Chae

Rhani D’Chae can write. There is no doubt about that. Anything she has to say she says with exceptional flair and skill. Words are her weapon and she uses them like Zorro used his blade. Here, too, are well-rounded characters drawn with an overlay of psychological understanding that gives them life and individuality and enables the reader to see into the minds and hearts of the people who inhabit D’Chae’s created world.

But despite the blurb promising a gritty stor
John W. Howell
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book based largely on some word of mouth endorsements. I was not sure if this type of story would be one which I would enjoy. I heard it was about a couple of characters Decker and Rudy who were over the top in terms of basic animal behaviors. I am certainly glad I did buy and read the book. It is a story of two pretty rough guys who have lost the love of the same person and have spent the last fifteen years searching for the three men who took her from them. Before I get too deep ...more
Robin Chambers
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What I found curious at first was the author’s choice of genre. I had never before associated her level of competence - penetrating character analysis, lyrical description, philosophical introspection, immaculate detail, precise and powerful movement of the action, convincing dialogue – with this social context: strip joints, prostitutes, brutal enforcers, the seamy, sordid, disreputable, largely nocturnal, dangerous and deeply unattractive tranche of society most of us go to considerable length ...more
Harmony Kent
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shadow if the drill is a hard-hitting gritty thriller about revenge and rage. It contains strong violence, including sexual violence, and strong language throughout, and focusses on the theme of revenge and torture.
Decker (a.k.a. The Drill) lost a good friend to a catatonic state after she was brutally gang-raped when they were both around 15-years-old. He vowed to never rest until the three men responsible had paid for their crime. Fifteen years on, he finally catches up with them.
The plot is f
Rave Reviews Book Club
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There’s only one word I can use to describe Rhani D’Chae’s writing of SHADOW OF THE DRILL and that word is… WOW! There was a time when I could honestly say that the majority of the reads I was picking up, were just poorly written pieces of junk. Based on the masterpieces that I now have listed on my page here, I am feeling my luck turn around in the Indie Read department, and it seems, each book gets better and better and better.

When I first saw the cover of this book, I wasn’t impressed at all.
Ashley
Mar 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shadow of the Drill by Rhani D’Chae is the first book in The Drill Series. Decker aka The Drill spends fifteen years training, working, and sculpting his body into a weapon that can be used to exact vengeance. His motivation? Revenge for the unspeakable horror inflicted upon a girl, his friend, that he was unable to protect in her greatest time of need. Haunted by guilt and a feeling of inadequacy Decker is determined to not only get his revenge but to continue to deliver punishment to those he ...more
D.E.
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Welcome to the world of Decker (also known as The Drill), his partner in crime (often literally) Rudy, and the woman who loves him despite herself, Charlene.

If you are looking for a gentle, easy read then walk away now, no don't walk.. RUN!! There is nothing easy about the world that Decker and Co inhabit. It is a world of violence, death and sex... often at the same time.

Anyone who crosses The Drill will pay, and that payment will be hard and it will be brutal and only one of them will walk awa
Gordon Bickerstaff
Great cocktail – excitement, action, violence and sex!

In this book, the author introduces Decker (nickname The Drill) and Rudy (strip club owner). Decker is a tough guy enforcer in the strip club, and he 'deals' with troublesome people. In his past, he witnessed a disturbing nightmare, and his inaction has left him with huge guilt.

This is a revenge story, and it is told very well such that you can feel the grit and raw emotions harbouring in all the characters. The characters are well developed
Jan Sikes
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When I downloaded Shadow of the Drill and started reading, I put it down for a couple of week because this is not my normal read. However, it called to me and I went back to it. This time, I couldn't put it down.
The characters are strong, multi-dimensional and totally devoted to each other. Decker, The Drill, is hardened, tough and ruthless. And he has a mission. To find the three men who raped the young girl he loved with all of his heart and put her into a mental coma from which she has never
Michelle
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shadow of the Drill had me hooked from the first page, right through to the very last. I hated when I had to put it down. Decker has never forgiven himself for not being able to protect his friend when she was brutally raped by three thugs. He wasn't strong enough to defend her. Plagued by guilt he devotes his life to getting revenge on her attackers. Fast forward fifteen years, Decker is now known as The Drill. He's tall, muscular and powerful. He hurts people for money, and pleasure and he's a ...more
Loren Weaver
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shadow of the Drill by Rhani D'Chae is the explosive debut of The Drill series staring Decker, aka The Drill, his best friend Rudy, his almost girlfriend Char, and the end of fifteen years of hunting.

Decker has spent the last decade and a half becoming The Drill, the number one enforcer on the streets. If you want it done and can pay the right price, Deck can do it. But he's got his own goals too, the biggest of which is to put the three men who, one night fifteen years ago, set him on the path
Kenneth Kerr
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Violence and Sex Thriller

Rhani D'Chae has written a very good, intriguing thriller about the seedy parts of society; strip clubs, prostitutes, and the enforcer. The story follows two lead characters, Rudy, a strip club owner, and Decker (the Drill), the enforcer. Both men experienced the brutal rape of a ten year old girl, Maria, by three men which left her alive but unable to talk and emotionally destroyed. For fifteen years Rudy and Decker plot their revenge against the three degenerates who c
Rebecca
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rrbc
What a fantastic adventure it was reading "Shadow of the Drill." The story is well-written with characters who you can love and hate at the same time. I prize books with vivid descriptions and insights into who the characters are. This book did not disappoint me in that respect. The story of Decker, Rudy, and Charlene had me sitting on the edge of my seat. Action, violence, sex--this is what you are in store for.

I do have a few reasons for not giving it five stars, however. I wasn't sure at fir