Start by marking “The Last Forest: The Amazon in the Age of Globalization” as Want to Read:
The Last Forest: The Amazon in the Age of Globalization

The Last Forest: The Amazon in the Age of Globalization

With a landmass larger than the continental U.S. west of the Mississippi and the richest diversity of plant and animal species on earth, the Amazon has always struck its explorers and would-be exploiters as infinite and largely impenetrable. For decades, anthropologists assumed that permanent human habitation was impossible–but they were wrong. Recently, proof of ...more
Published February 6th 2007 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about The Last Forest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Forest

Start your review of The Last Forest: The Amazon in the Age of Globalization
Pat
Oct 02, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: anyone interested in the Amazon region
The authors revisit the Amazon 25 years after their first book on the region and paint a complex portrait of the rainforest in the 'age of globalization.' The book suffers a bit from the breadth of the topic and you sometimes wish for more story and less scattered reporting. Still, they did an admirable job of tackling such a large subject and deserve credit for fresh thinking on the topic. My biggest criticism: The final chapter, which, if memory serves, is called A Way to Save the Amazon, ...more
Colin
Mar 21, 2007 rated it really liked it
A good look at development mixed with the environment mixed with human and indigenous rights mixed with Brasil. The authors surprised me in how they treated the subject, but I ended up liking their approach.
Annie Oosterwyk
This was a good book to read after The Lost City of Z. It does a thorough job of explaining the various problems that come with managing and surviving in such an untamed wilderness.
There are well researched explanations for both the benefits and destruction that come with development of the rain forest and why developed nations are responsible in part, even while they spout environmental and conservationist views.
The authors comment on the effects of agricultural subsidies, urban and rural
Edwin Martin
Mar 01, 2013 rated it liked it
It really needs detailed maps showing the different states in Brazil that it discusses , along with some maps showing land use in the whole area. I made do by looking at Google Earth maps while reading, but even that shows photos taken back in 1969 on most of it ??

I thought it was pretty thorough in discussing what has, and is still happening in the nation of Brazil in this region. But without maps and looking up "bios" of some of the leading figures, I would get bogged down with it. Basic
Hannah
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
I think that this book would be very good for people who were interested in the Amazon. I read this for a class, and some of the stories just got a little tedious. Also, the authors are not as direct as I would like them to be in a book of non-fiction.

Overall, the stories were interesting. If this is something that interests you, I'm sure you would find it more enjoyable than I did.
Jennyb
Jan 05, 2015 rated it liked it
I read this -- and a bunch of other stuff about Brazil -- for a class. It was good, although the information is dated, with the most recent statistics and facts not being more recent than 2007 or 2008. However, if you don't care about "the latest" but are just interested in Brazil and what remains of the Amazon, as well as what has replaced it, this is well written, informative and entertaining.
Cshu02
Oct 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Do what you can do to curb our gluttony of goods.
Alicia French
Jul 01, 2014
Brianpablo
Jul 18, 2014
Henry DeBey
Dec 09, 2010
Mike
rated it did not like it
Mar 15, 2008