Start by marking “She Has a Name” as Want to Read:
She Has a Name

She Has a Name

With unrelenting yet tender honesty, She Has a Name tells the story of a young woman with autism from multiple points of view. The speakers in these poems sisters, mother, father, teacher seek to answer questions science can't yet answer, seek to protect the young woman, and seek to understand what autism means to their own lives as well.
Published October 1st 2013 by Four Way Books

To ask other readers questions about She Has a Name, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about She Has a Name

Roxane
Dec 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Moving collection of poetry about a a family living with a sister's autism, how it has shaped the family as a whole and as individuals. Some of the poems don't feel as necessary to the collection as others, but on the whole, these words make a mark.
Phyllis Katz
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very moving collection about the speaker's sister's autism.
Julene
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Kamilah Aisha Moon traveled to my city to read from her book, so I have heard her read and was moved. This book is written about her sister, who drew the drawing that is the cover of the book, and who is on the autistic spectrum. Kamilah describes her book as a "biomythography in poems" a term that Audre Lorde first used in Zami: A New Spelling of My Name.

The poem about the cover art: Possible Self Portrait

Making do
with what is available,
she paints a face in tangerine.
Cobalt eyes colossal, elec
Alarie
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
It is unfortunate that poetry rarely attracts many readers, because I believe this is a book that is important, especially to those who deal with autism or have other people with special needs in their families.

Kamilah Aisha Moon writes poignant, accessible, engaging poems no matter what the topic, but She Has a Name goes way beyond being another collection of good poems. Moon opens the door to her family home and introduces her sister with autism, “1 in 150 now.” She shows how the condition als
Patricia Murphy
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
No secret I'm a big fan of Kamilah Aisha Moon. I have published her poems, and an essay in Superstition Review (I even nominated her for a Pushcart). I'm so pleased to read this collection, which stands as even more evidence of not only Kamilah's talent, but also her empathy and kindness. I was consistently struck by the level of honesty, patience, caring, and humility in this book.

Some stand-out moments for me:

"Swinging was the closest thing
to flying then."

"We know 'watch your sister' means fo
Naomi
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Kamilah Aisha Moon calls this stunning work a "biomythography in poems." It is the story, written from the all the points of view, of one family with an autistic daughter/sister/self. The poems shine; they are visceral, brimming with life, love, pain and hope. Had I not felt the need to breathe, to read each poem over and over, I could have stood at my kitchen counter, as is my habit when reading poetry, and inhaled the entire collection in a single reading. Every word, every punctuation mark, e ...more
Carolyn
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
'She Has a Name' by Kamilah Aisha Moon

The depth and insight of this book of poems which the author framed as a "biomythography" reveals what family and others experience when graced with a wonderful and 'unique'human being. The challenges and rewards are poignantly presented to the reader. Some are revelatory and others refreshingly candid as the poet views these lives through partisan and complicated lenses. She owns that the familial growth patterns are dynamic,yet, reflect the deep love and c
MLG
Mar 22, 2014 added it
You can read my review here.
Tom Romig
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A deeply felt, potent collection of poems, mostly about the trials and blessings of life with an autistic sibling. The poems are, by turns, told from the points of view of various family members. Kamilah Aisha Moon captures poignantly the mystery, misunderstanding, and embarrassment sometimes experienced by the family, often against the backdrop of a callous and unknowing world, but shining through it all is a fierce and abiding love.
l.
not dismissing this book, but i cannot believe she uses the word 'mongoloid'... ("She shuns wheelchairs and / mongoloid faces, mad that her mind / will fight to keep her / quarantined / from her own car, yard, / babies.")
Stephen Mills
Bobbie Esposito
Sep 22, 2018
scotti minkle
Feb 07, 2015
A recipient of fellowships to the Cave Canem Foundation, the Prague Summer Writing Institute, the Fine Arts Work Center in Provincetown, MA, and the Vermont Studio Center, Kamilah Aisha Moon's work has been featured in several journals and anthologies, including Harvard Review, jubilat, Sou’wester, Oxford American, Lumina, Callaloo, Bloom, Villanelles and Gathering Ground. She teaches English and ...more