Start by marking “Tea with Grandpa” as Want to Read:
Tea with Grandpa

Tea with Grandpa

Spending time with Grandpa is always fun.
Singling, laughing, eating, and playing.
And when it's time to say goodbye,
It won't be for long because
He's never too far away to have tea.

In this sweetly simple, rhyming picture book by acclaimed author/artist Barney Saltzberg, a little girl tells us about her daily tea ritual with her grandfather where they sing and laugh and cli
Published April 15th 2014 by Roaring Brook Press (first published April 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Tea with Grandpa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tea with Grandpa

Start your review of Tea with Grandpa
babyhippoface
The little girl and her grandpa share tea time every day at 3:00. The last spread of the book reveals they are not actually together; they are using the computer to Skype or Facetime. It’s nice to see the portrayal of an older person using technology.
Maria Marshall
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-picture
Delightful story of the joy of sharing a daily cup of tea with a beloved grandfather, with an unexpected twist ending.
Jack & Lily Wills
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very cute - it was a three star book until the end! :)
Jo Oehrlein
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Grandpa and granddaughter share a daily tea party.

At the end, we find out that they're using a screen to communicate.

A good story to reassure little ones that even if they're moving away from grandparents, the relationship can continue.
Franki Sibberson
Great conversations for the beginning of the school year--ways to communicate and connect:-)
Dewey
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family
This book is so sweet, and the ending got me good--adorable. This would be great for a storytime, and it's short enough to read with younger kids. ...more
Kenneth Clayton
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Allyson (Belle)
Mar 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I actually really loved this, especially the little surprise twist at the end. I feel like that is very relevant with the current Covid situation and children being unable to see some family members right now. My grandpa died last year in the nursing home after we had been unable to see him for 9 months due to Covid restrictions, so this one definitely hit home for me. Such a wonderful little story.
gina
Mar 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is a cute but simple book about a granddaughter having tea with her grandfather. The punchline at the end is that they are doing it over a computer. ZOOM to the rescue! I think books like this that might normalize connecting with family in different ways during covid is great. Granted this book was published in 2014 so it was clearly ahead of its time. And with vaccines rolling out, books that highlight online connections may not be as necessary as they were several months ago.
Trisha Parsons
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime
I'm a little (a lot) biased about this book because I am a sap for any book with a grandpa, but this is a simple read, with only one line per page, and the end of the book reveals that the girl is having "tea" with her grandpa over video chat, which I think is great and relevant for today's kids. ...more
Sue Mosher
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this! A little girl meets everyday with her Grandpa for tea, in a way that lots of today's kids will relate to. ...more
Lara
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
A simple story, good for story times. A nice balance to books which always show grandparents physically present. Especially good story in a military community, where nobody lives near family.
Kristina
Hmm, I wish the text didn't rhyme, but it's an awfully cute read. ...more
Michelle
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great modern day twist at the end!
Amandasaved
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book's ending will wreck you if you are home sick.

This book has short dialogue and animations that look similar to those of the 1990's cartoon "Doug", however it is a sweet story.
Naomi
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the simplicity and heart of this book. I've given it as a gift to grandparents who live far away from their grandchildren. ...more
Josephine Burks
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute book read to us at Baby storytime for upcoming Grandparents day!
Kelly
This is a quick, rhyming read about a young one and their tea time with grandpa.
Angela
Oct 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb
Very sweet story with surprising ending that makes this 2014 picture book especially relevant in Covid-times.
James
Feb 12, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A cute book about a girl's relationship with her grandpa from a distance. A perfect book for quarantine. ...more
Katie Oflibrary
Feb 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Super cute. I'll be featuring this book on Monday's storytime since so many children are visiting their grandparents remotely right now. ...more
Becky
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
First sentence: Every day at half past three...Me and Grandpa. Time for Tea. I can pour so carefully. Grandpa holds his cup for me.

Premise/plot: What you see is what you get...or is it?! Every day a little girl and her grandpa have tea together. The book shares what they do every day at tea time: tell stories, laugh and joke, sing and dance. What the book waits a while to reveal....is....that the grandpa and the little girl are not "together" for tea time. They are communicating via computer.

My
Gail Gauthier
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
"This seems pretty much a surface story. Then the last page comes. I, for one, never saw it coming. Very neat and contemporary ending."

Excerpt from Original Content.
Kathryn (Dragon Bite Books)
Originally published on my blog, Nine Pages.

This is one of the most moving books that I’ve read in a long while. A little girl enjoys a daily teatime with her grandpa. They laugh and enjoy one another’s company. It’s not till the end of the book that it is revealed that all of this has taken place via a video chat. I think this is an important book. It’s a tradition I’d have loved to grow up with (the technology wasn’t available), and I think it’s important to instill in all people the reminder
Book
Dec 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
"‘Tea with Grandpa"’ written and illustrated by Barney Saltzberg is simple though touching book that speaks about young girl and her daily practice of drinking tea with her grandfather.

When young reader will go through its rhymes you can almost hear the clattering of their teacups and hear their singing and laughing, enjoying one another'’s company. Though at the end of the book a surprise will be revealed -– this daily ritual is taking place using their computers, a video chat.

With this book Sa
Alethea A
Jan 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I first saw the trailer for “Tea with Grandpa” on twitter. After I saw it, I thought it looked cute so I put it on my “To Be Read” list.
I thought it was cute. When I got the book and (here comes a spoiler!) and saw that the whole “tea party” was virtual – meaning the little girl and her grandpa were Skyping or doing a Google hangout or something similar, I thought the idea for the book was brilliant! You don’t know until the end that it’s all over the computer -very cool. There are a lot of kid
Jenna Smith
Nov 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
In this cute, family bonding book, a grandpa and his granddaughter enjoy their daily tea time together. They laugh and sing together as they sip their tea and enjoy each other's company. Tea with Grandpa is a sweet book that will make readers want to go have tea with their own grandparents. With a surprising twist at the end, you won't want to miss this adorable book! Join grandpa and his granddaughter as they laugh and clink their tea cups each day!

** A fun activity for this book would be to se
Nari
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Title: Tea With Grandpa by Barney Saltzberg

Format: Picture Book

Age: 2-5

Genre: Tea party, grandparents

Every day at half past three, a little girl shares a tea-party with her Grandpa in this delightful little book.

This book is a wonderful treat for grandfathers and young girls. Every day at half past three, Grandpa comes over for a tea party. The sing, they laugh, they eat and drink tea before Grandpa goes home. But he always returns the next day. The text is very minimal, about 6 words per page.
Courtenay
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
On first read, I wasn't that impressed with this book -- very simple, no real twist -- until I looked more closely at the overall composition and how the story was told. Without giving away the ending (text wouldn't do it, the crux and twist are actually told entirely by the pictures) I was quite taken with how this simple story of a grandchild and grandpa conversing each afternoon at 3:30 over tea unfolds. You have to read it for the final page, as it really says a lot about our society in the ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
Blog Tour for Tea With Grandpa 1 3 Mar 19, 2014 01:06PM

• Not Quite Snow White
  • They All Saw A Cat
  • Time for Kenny
  • The Ninjabread Man
  • Miss Spider's Tea Party
  • Flubby Is Not a Good Pet!
  • Sakura's Cherry Blossoms
  • There’s a Monster in Your Book
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Her Right Foot
  • Don't Worry, Bee Happy (Bumble and Bee #1)
  • Cat Likes Red
  • The Barnabus Project
  • Don't Push the Button!
  • The Scarecrow
  • A Polar Bear in the Snow
  • Sometimes People March
  • Not Quite Narwhal
Barney Saltzberg is the author and illustrator of close to 50 books for children, including Beautiful Oops!, Arlo Needs Glasses, Good Egg, Cornelius P. Mud , Crazy Hair Day and the bestselling Touch and Feel Kisses series with over 800,000 copies in print. He has two new releases, Tea With Grandpa and Chengdu Could Not Would Not Fall Asleep coming this spring.
Additionally, he’s recorded four CDs