Start by marking “Riot Act (Charlie Fox, #2)” as Want to Read:
Riot Act (Charlie Fox, #2)

Riot Act

(Charlie Fox #2)

RIOT ACT is the second in Zoë Sharp’s highly acclaimed Charlotte ‘Charlie’ Fox crime thriller series, now available in e-format for the first time, complete with author’s notes, excerpt from the next Charlie Fox book – HARD KNOCKS – and a bonus excerpt from Timothy Hallinan’s second Junior Bender novel, LITTLE ELVISES.

“I am a violent man, Miss Fox,” Garton-Jones said,
Hardcover, UK, 320 pages
Published August 29th 2002 by Piatkus Books

To ask other readers questions about Riot Act, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Riot Act

Start your review of Riot Act (Charlie Fox, #2)
Seeley James
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Every book I read has a great endorsement by someone or other. Zoë Sharp’s first book, Killer Instinct, had a rousing Foreword by Lee Child. That caught my eye. Mr. Child reported that someone said, I love your books but Zoe Sharp is better. Interesting admission from one of my favorite authors. I’ve been rolling that one around in my head ever since. Is she really better than Lee Child?

Before I read her first book, when anyone asked, Who is your favorite author, I never hesitated. Lee Child. If
RachelW (BamaGal)
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars. I enjoyed the book, even though I wasn't particularly crazy about the storyline. I felt detached from what was going on, and was never fully vested in the neighborhood problems. I still like Charlie, and the re-appearance of Sean has thrown a wrinkle in Charlie's life; although I thought the plot device of his not having any idea what happened to Charlie a little ridiculous. I wish that had been handled better.

I'm looking forward to what is going to happen now that Sean is back in
D
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Just incredible! One of the best new series I've started in a while. The best since I found the Jack Reacher series.

For her first book, the one prior to this, I'd complained of too little insight into Charlie's feelings.....too much focus on "what" and not enough on "why".

That changed in this book. It was the perfect balance between action and the protagonist's subjective experience. Also, there were satisfying partial resolutions to some unbearable problems brought out, but unresolved, in the
Linda
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm well and truly hooked on this series.

In this story, Charlie gets embroiled in local violent events while housesitting for a friend, also meeting up again with someone significant from her past. While she once again proves to be a magnet for trouble, we learn more about her past and her relationships with her parents and others. She's a tough yet vulnerable protagonist, one who's easy to like and root for.

A few things bugged me but didn't detract too much from my enjoyment of the story.
Harry
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Being interested in reading series mystery/detectives I ran across Zoe Sharp during my aimless wandering through book worlds online. I admit, reading the reviews I was skeptical as to whether or not I'd like this book for the simple reason that I'm interested in a particular type of hero (principled but tempted by physical violence, alone in the world by choice but always tempted to abandon this lifestyle). Female main characters usually do not fit this model if my previous reads are any ...more
The Cats’ Mother
Really like this series, only discovered it recently; great heroine, lots of action, quite dark and gritty but some sly humor too.
This one has Charlie getting involved in the problems of a council estate while house-sitting for a friend. Friday the dog is the best character, but we also get to meet the infamous Sean.
Austin
3 1/2 Stars. This was a good book. It did not have the same intensity as the first novel did, but it was still a good read. I felt like the plotline was not as strong as the the first one, but Zoe Sharp continues to do an excellent job of advancing Charlie as a character, which is what draws me in into these stories in the first place. Sean coming back into her life was a good twist, showing more of Charlie's emotional side, and revealing more about her past as well, but I just felt the ...more
Chrystal
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is the second book of the Charlie Fox series that I've read; and I simply don't understand the comments likening Zoë Sharp with Lee Child. Neither their writing style nor their lead protagonists are at all alike.

With this particular novel, the plot was so transparent that I knew the outcome by the end of the first chapter. It was therefore with increasing impatience that I waited for Charlie to clue into what was going on. In fact, I abandoned the book after a few chapters, only to pick it
Tyson Adams
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Those in council housing shouldn't throw stones. Molotov cocktails are much better.

Charlie Fox is dog and house sitting in a rough neighbourhood for her friend. After some kids manage to seriously injure her neighbour during a robbery, a vigilante mob and a security group move into the area. Ulterior motives abound and Charlie is stuck in the middle of it all as the violence is let loose.

It has been awhile since I've picked up a Zoe Sharp thriller. After reading a couple several years ago I went
Shawn
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good follow up novel. The structure and unfolding of the plot is not identical to the first novel and Sharp continues to develop the Charlie character. The setting of northwest UK works really well. I typically end up spending some time on Google maps checking out the locations. I also like that they don't Americanize the spellings or slang; it would really detract from the story telling if they did that. I am not sure, however, about the Sean Meyer character and how he'll get ...more
Jennifer S
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice to get a glimpse of the early Charlie Fox and a little more background info about her relationship with Sean Meyer. As usual, Charlie is a force to be reckoned with as she tries to figure out who is behind escalating violence in the neighborhood where she is house-sitting. But I thought the plot basically consisted of a series of random people attacking one another without anyone really having a clue. 4 stars for Charlie, 2 stars for the plot line.
Donna
More enjoyable than the first book, but once again, the big twists were all fairly obvious and Charlie's mistakes get people hurt. The story's also pretty heavy on the coincidences.

She's shown some personal growth, which is great. But I need either twistier plots or a sleuth that's better at picking up on them.
Dylan Cundiff
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am really loving this book series. It is just a fun read, but very well written, and have a hard time figuring out the twists before they come.
Andy Plonka
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: src
Charlie is one tough customer. Nothing intimidates her, though she gets a little help from a Rhodesian Ridgeback named Friday.
Denise
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. Really like this author. Have listenedcto all thd audio books iffered by my Library system so now I am reading as many as I can find to fill in the gaps.
DD@Phila
Nancy
Dec 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: oyster, scribd
This was a little slow at times but my love for Charlie kept me in and I'm not disappointed. The action scenes this author creates are just as captivating as a die-hard movie.
Nancy Nelson
Apr 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
Not quite as page-turning for me as the first book in the series, but I'm going to keep on reading.
Any Length
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really love the characters in this series. Can't get enough of them. Don't care that the books are a bit older now and don't contain as much technology, they are just wonderful.
Carrie
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lots of action - but also lots of names. I want more Charlie (and Sean).
Woman Reading
Riot Act was written as a standalone book, though it’s the second novel.

I had listened to the audio book last year. It was a bit disconcerting to hear a soprano voice adopt gritty elements in order to represent the male characters. It didn’t quite work for me. So I found a hard copy to read as a build up to the Sept. 2019 publication of Bad Turn .

The initial chapters of Riot Act opened with sufficient tension from crimes directed against defenseless seniors to thinly-veiled threats from bully
Best Crime Books & More
Nov 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Okay, so in July 2012 I gave in to the nagging feeling that I was missing out. Every time I looked on Facebook I kept seeing people take about Zoe Sharp and the character Charlie Fox. Not one to miss out I immediately read the first book in the series and LOVED it. I have finally got around to book 2 and finished it in less time than the first.

Charlie Fox is ex-special forces, however that may sound like a ‘bog standard’ character template for a female lead, but she is far from standard. Charlie
Dolly Sandor
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Riot Act takes places within months of the first novel, Killer Instinct. This series, starring Charlie Fox by Zoe Sharp, is a good mystery series. The writing and editing are excellent. I very glad to have stumbled upon this series.

What I liked: A connection with the heroine. She's kick-ass but not perfect. More along just being human with everyone's problems. While ruthless, she has a code to only go as far as she needs too. Ms Sharp also provides more info about Charlie's past, which so
Tony Hisgett
Apr 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: review, mystery, thriller
After the ending to the first book I hoped that Charlie would be more sure of herself and less indecisive, however she is even more riddled with guilt and unable to think clearly.

I’m obviously out of step with lots of this book’s reviewers, but what annoys me is that I think that Charlie is a great heroine but is held back by the author. The first half of the book is full of incidents when she fails to make correct decisions and ends up hurt and lost. In some ways I didn’t mind the guilt and
Ed
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
#2 in the Charlotte “Charlie” Fox series. This time out, Charlie has given up self defense lessons while recuperating from injuries sustained in the initial entry Killer Instinct (2001). However, while housesitting for a friend she finds herself in a deteriorating neighborhood populated by Asians (Pakistanis) and a like neighborhood populated by native Brits. Interesting entry and I'm looking forward to future entries to determine the overriding story arc.

Charlotte “Charlie” Fox series - A
Sid Nuncius
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much. It is the first Zoë Sharp I've read and it certainly won't be the last. It's the second in her Charlie Fox series, but you don't need to have read Killer Instinct first to enjoy this: we are given all the necessary background in a very skilful way which never feels like clumsy exposition.

The book is well-written and very well paced. Charlie Fox, having been thrown out of the Army Special Forces, becomes involved in dealing with gang crime and vigilantes on an
Veronica Marie Lewis-Shaw
"I am a violent man, Miss Fox," Garton-Jones said, without bravado or inflection. "I can and will do whatever is necessary to control this estate. Remember that."

When I read that blurb on the back of Riot Act, I knew I was in for another fantastic and thrilling ride with Charlie, in this, the second of Zoe Sharp's Charlie Fox thrillers.

I was not disappointed. Riot Act is every bit as good as the first in the series... and then some.

Beautifully paced, with engaging characters, action and
K, Nz
I love this book. From memory, it was the first one in the Charlie Fox series I came across, and I also remember being really disappointed that 'Killer Instinct' was out of print then. I wanted to know more about the characters, because they were people I could care about and relate to. Sean and Charlie's relationship was something I was curious about as well, and their challenges and misunderstandings have kept me wanting to find out more (and very impatient to read the next book in the ...more
LJ
RIOT ACT (Amateur Sleuth-London-Cont) – VG
Sharp, Zoe – 2nd in series
Piatkus, 2002-Hardcover
Charlie Fox is an self-defense expert and ex-Special Forces. She is house- and dog-sitting--a Rhodesian Ridgeback named Frank—for her friend but things turn ugly when teenage gangs start terrorizing the neighborhood. The neighbors hire a private security firm, but a young Asian boy is murdered. When someone from Charlie's past appears, life becomes even more complicated.
*** Charlie is someone you'd much
Sheri Hart
Mar 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished this book and have already downloaded book three in the series. Best thriller/ crime series I've read in eons. Charlie Fox is like Eve Dallas on steroids.

The action scenes are just as well done and heart-pounding as in Killer Instinct, book one, but we have the complicating factor of the reappearance of Charlie's ex lover and former special ops training officer Sean Meyer. The scene where they first come together again is stellar. No, that's not a euphemism- unfortunately we don't
Joan
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
I read the first book in this series because it had an endorsement from Lee Child, who is one of my favorite authors. Hoping that I had found a new author to read, I immediately downloaded the entire series of four books. I enjoyed the first one although it did not live up to the recommendation in my opinion, but Charlie Fox was not as appealing or as interesting in this second of the series. The story was very slow to come together and capture my interest. I will say, however, that this author ...more

• The Twilight Zone: Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up?
  • We Fed an Island: The True Story of Rebuilding Puerto Rico, One Meal at a Time
  • The Twilight Zone: The After Hours
  • The Godmother
  • Out of the Dark (Orphan X, #4)
  • The Bride's Farewell
  • Everything I Need To Know I Learned From a Little Golden Book
  • Stormy Persuasion (Malory-Anderson Family, #11)
  • Headstone (Jack Taylor, #9)
  • Criss Cross (Alex Cross, #27)
  • Home Truths
  • Beautiful Tempest (Malory Family, #12)
  • Fatal Accusation (Fatal, #15)
  • Purgatory (Jack Taylor, #10)
  • Shot Through the Hearth (A Fixer-Upper Mystery, #7)
  • The Ghosts of Galway
  • Snatched (Will Trent, #5.5)
  • Galway Girl (Jack Taylor #15)
Zoë Sharp spent most of her formative years living aboard a catamaran on the northwest coast of England. She opted out of mainstream education at the age of twelve and wrote her first novel at fifteen. She became a freelance photojournalist in 1988 and started writing her Charlie Fox crime thriller series after receiving death-threats in the course of her work.

Charlie Fox (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Trial Under Fire (Charlie Fox, #0)
  • Killer Instinct (Charlie Fox, #1)
  • Hard Knocks (Charlie Fox #3)
  • First Drop (Charlie Fox, #4)
  • Road Kill (Charlie Fox, #5)
  • Second Shot (Charlie Fox, #6)
  • Third Strike (Charlie Fox, #7)
  • Fourth Day (Charlie Fox, #8)
  • Fifth Victim (Charlie Fox, #9)
  • Die Easy (Charlie Fox, #10)