Start by marking “The Clue in the Old Stagecoach (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #37)” as Want to Read:
The Clue in the Old Stagecoach (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #37)

The Clue in the Old Stagecoach (Nancy Drew #37)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  4,885 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
While vacationing at Camp Merriweather near Francisville, Mrs. Strook, an elderly citizen, asks Nancy to find an old stagecoach her great-uncle had hidden. This stagecoach may contain a valuable treasure that would benefit the town that needs funding to build a new school. This book is the original text. A revised text does not exist.
Published 1960 by Grosset & Dunlap

To ask other readers questions about The Clue in the Old Stagecoach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Clue in the Old Stagecoach

John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Yet another great addition to the Nancy Drew mystery book series.
Greta
Great Nancy Drew. It had sense of setting which was interesting, a vacation hotel and the time period references to the old west were interesting. There was some fun humorous and campy moments with the girls. The villians were fun and will help give young readers a sense of character traits. The story plot had a poignancy and human interest angle that set it apart from some other mystery stories. The plot was action filled in way more like the first books in the Nancy Drew series!
Ella
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love these books because they jump right into the story and they don't make me bored in the beginning or in the middle. Throughout the book things are always happening that make the story intense and gripping. I never get bored of them!
rabbitprincess
Dec 31, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommended to rabbitprincess by: random library catalogue search
Shelves: bibliotheque, 2011
* 1/2

Now I know these books aren't supposed to be Great Works of Literature, but to put it mildly, I would not start any budding Nancy Drew fan on this book. While the Old West theme is cute and the idea of towns struggling financially and having to cope with new housing developments and the problems they bring is a timely topic, the mystery itself is solved in a ridiculous way and peopled with caricatures. Two of the bad guys are pointed out right away and are so painfully obvious that they may
Tabi34
Mar 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: nancy-drew
Nancy is a hussy! That's right, I said it. I have suspected all along that she was only toying with Ned Nickerson's affection and in this book, it was confirmed.

Nancy and her chums - Bess and George, are on vacation at a lodge. How very swank 1950s (I wish I could afford to go off to a resort for the summer in my convertible). Anyway, while they are there, they hang out with three boys not their usual dates. At one point, Ned calls and says he and Burt and Dave are coming to visit. Bess says so
Phe
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Clue in the Old Stagecoach is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 37th book in the Nancy Drew series.

Despite threats against her life, Nancy pursues the search for a clue in an antique stagecoach that may be of great value to the people of Francisville.

I’ve always been a voracious reader. So, as a child, one of my favorite things about summer was the frequent trips to our local library, which was less than a mile from our house. Like most young girls of a certain ag
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is one of the Nancy Drew novels that was not modified from an earlier edition of the same title. The story starts with the girls in a forest where they see a stagecoach driven by what turns out to be fake horses. A nearby old village is being reconstructed for tourists. The town, though, also needs money for a new school and it can't afford that.

The bad guys include a man a woman couple who are always asking Nancy questions and following her around, and a guy named Judd Hillary who is basi
Melanie
Nancy dates some guy other than Ned while at camp! Luckily that guy's father becomes gravely ill right before Ned and co show up to help the girls.

At some point, the girls have lunch that consists of chicken sandwiches and "molded vegetable salad." I have no idea what that is, and they're visiting an elderly widow, so it could either be something made of gelatin or something made during the Roosevelt administration.

They find treasure to help a town build a new school. The find, (view spoiler)
Elle G
Mar 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this novel. It was just like any other Nancy Drew book that I have read. I would have liked it better if the author, Carolyn Keene, would have changed it up a bit. This book freaked me out a little because of the people who would explode things to find clues and money leading to the missing stagecoach. There was also people who would stalk Nancy and watch her every move to make sure she didn’t find the money or another clue before them. This book also had a lot of history invol ...more
Luisa
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nancy-drew, 2013
(view spoiler) ...more
Becky
Aug 19, 2016 rated it liked it
I haven't read a Nancy Drew mystery since I was a child, but after putting together a jigsaw puzzle of a collage of Nancy Drew book covers, I was hit by the nostalgia bug. So, when I saw one of the Carolyn Keene mysteries at a yard sale, I just had to pick it up. It took me back to a childhood filled with carefree summer days reading on the front porch, so how could I not like it? I don't know if young girls today even read these, but if so, they will probably laugh at certain aspects of these b ...more
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I remember the first time I read Nancy Drew. It blew my mind that there were girls presented with a brain. Most of the stuff I'd read up to that time, was that girls were sugar and spice - fluffy. No brains. To also learn about George who is a tomboy was a nice validation. Carolyn Keene wrote just for me! That is how I felt. When I did more research, I was shocked to find out, Ms. Keene was actually a man ... writing under Frank Dixon. I also loved the Hardy Boys. No wonder I loved these series.
Stephanie A.
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
My mom loved these books, and after a childhood spent watching Claudia obsess about them in the Babysitters Club books, I was really eager to dive into this world. Unfortunately, while I liked the setting and was intrigued by the summary, it turns out I don't find juvenile investigators very compelling (I didn't have much luck with Trixie Belden either), so I've never read another. Biggest disappointment of my literary life.
Mr
Jan 20, 2009 added it
Amelia Hurley NOvatny 180 pages
nancy Drew helps a lady help her town and get her uncle's stage coach back. Nancy finds that the stage coach was buried in parts near a wrecked train station. There they think that the clue was stolen right out of her hands, but really, that was a fake. The real clue was 5 blocks of benjamin franklin stamps with the glue still on them. This helps the town build a new school.
Aswathy
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I remember reading this book very clearly.. My muthachan had a life membership in the Tvm public library and seeing that i love reading he began bringing me one book out of the 3 books he used to take.This was the 1st book he brought me. He brought this book just before my 6th std annual exam and i was forbidden from reading it until my exams were over. I waited impatiently for my exams to end and finished this book in one go.
Andrea Turner
Jul 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-mystery
This is one of the Nancy Drew books I got for Christmas, to add to my collection. Since I didn't own it, I hadn't had a chance to read it before. As always, The Clue in the Old Stagecoach was an interesting mystery. Though I strongly feel that in real life Nancy Drew would need to fail once in a while. Also- how is she not dead yet?
Maura Badji
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
My parents ran a group home for 7 mentally retarded teenagers as part of their jobs at a private school run by my father's brother in the late 1960s into the early 1970s. I found a carton of Nancy Drew books in the basement of the house we were given as part of the deal; I dived in and read them all. My favorites were the first 10 books.
Cyndi Fowles
Nov 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the very first Nancy Drew that I ever read...I was sick or had hurt myself and so was pretty immobile and my parents got it to keep me quiet. For the next few years the only things I wanted were books as gifts--Nancy Drew...
Caryn
Oct 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries
This Nancy Drew was full of lots of action and adventure, for sure! Nancy and her friends Bess and George were staying at a camp for a week or two and stumbled upon a great mystery! You have to read it!
Eric Wood
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a really good book! I couldn't stop reading it! The story keeps you in suspense, and the mystery was very intriguing. Although there was little action and the culprits being painfully obvious, i really enjoyed this mystery and would definitely recommend this to any nancy drew fans!
Jordanna
Apr 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nancy-drew
A town really needs to find money. There is a clue of where to find a lot of money in an old stagecoach. The problem is there are many old stagecoaches around. Can Nancy find the right one before a thief does? And can she find out who the thief is?
Rachel Piper
Jun 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Bought recently to add to my collection. I read a good number of Nancy Drews, some almost 20 years ago. I couldn't name all the ones I did read, but I know I didn't read this one. The plot is rather bland, but the camp Nancy and co. are staying in sounds fun.
Sarra Martin
Mar 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This Nancy Drew book I always hold dear to my heart. It was the last one for me to get, and I had all of the other ones. I got this one for Christmas when I was 8, and I read it as fast as I could. A pretty good book if you are young, and not so aware that Nancy is a little too "Mary-Sue-ish".
Kim
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
book 37
Heather
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
fast paced another good one.
Esther
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As an adult who never read Nancy Drew as a child I didn't know how to critique the book. Since I have no criticism I rated it as such.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read every single one of these growing up--I thought she was the bees knees
Theadora
May 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
One of the lamer ones. That couple was super annoying!
Jessi
Nov 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Nancy helps to save a town's school and thwart some thieves when she helps a woman track down her great-uncle's lost stagecoach and uncover the secret within.
Evelyn.anna
i loved to read that book because there was a lot to read abut
  • The Happy Valley Mystery (Trixie Belden, #9)
  • The Gatehouse Mystery (Trixie Belden #3)
  • The Disappearing Floor (Hardy Boys, #19)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene...

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew, #10)