Start by marking “The Thirteenth Pearl (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #56)” as Want to Read:
The Thirteenth Pearl (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #56)

The Thirteenth Pearl (Nancy Drew #56)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  3,769 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
A pearl necklace that is unusual and valuable has been stolen. The girl detective soon learns strange and dangerous people are responsible for the theft. Nancy and Carson Drew travel to Japan in search of the necklace. Clues found near home and in Japan help her uncover a group of underworld jewel thieves hiding behind the front of a pearl worshipping cult. This book is th ...more
Published 1979 by Grosset & Dunlap

To ask other readers questions about The Thirteenth Pearl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thirteenth Pearl

Jerry
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've reviewed so many of these books, I've run out of things to say about them. This is as good as any Nancy Drew novel. Not sure what to say other than that.
Forrest
Jul 24, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: No, No I would not
Shelves: mysteries
Well. Re-reading this timeless treasure led me to discover that the Nancy Drew mysteries are not the novels of genius I once thought they were. This one had the particular distinction of not only being poorly written, but also containing numerous offensively discussed stereotypes about Japan and Japanese-Americans. People are described as "Oriental" and "Asiatic," and the entire mystery is really just an attempt for Carolyn Keene to describe for impressionable youth the "exotic" customs of the n ...more
Melanie
This is the LAST ONE. And there are still unanswered questions, like where is River Heights? (My guess is upstate NY.) What caused Mrs. Drew's death (one book said she died "suddenly" and one other one mentioned "a brief illness" but that's it)? Why didn't Hannah, who was apparently married herself at some point, but has lived with the Drews since Mrs. Drew kicked it, ever get married to Carson? Could you really have a platonic relationship with your live-in housekeeper for fifteen years?

I had
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The last Nancy Drew book. I really, REALLY hated to see this come, but I loved the book none the less.
Katie Dever
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I know the series continues after 56, but this technically is the last of the originals. I'm kind of sad after finally reading this book many years too late. I used to read these as a 10 year old. In my dark room, I'd get scared of the evil criminals in these tales. I used to fantasize being Nancy Drew.

As a fan of this series, there wasn't many things that bothered me in this book. Just the fact that it is kinda of impossible for an 18 year old to figure all this out within a few weeks/days. No
Briella Rose
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ttr-2015
I really liked this! This mystery book is very thrilling and fun. The author is very clever and creative for making such a great book!
Tiff
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Still enjoyed it! I miss this series. ❤ ...more
Dawn
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Didn't know anything about oysters and pearls before reading this book. I appreciated that Nancy said on page 64 that she feels sorry for the poor oysters. For two or three years the oysters are irritated by the foreign object inside them. I, too, am disturbed by this . Then the guide replied to Nancy that nature does the same thing and that man does not harm the oyster any more than nature does. The whole concept of pearls for jewelry and luxury just offset the whole mystery for me and I didn't ...more
Kaylabookworm22 L
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
It took me a while to read this one. I stopped reading it a few times. I usually love every Nancy Drew book, and that it why I decided to try again. I didn't love it. But I didn't hate it either. It was okay. I'll still read Nancy Drew books. I'm a huge fan of the series.
Darinda
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nancy Drew works on a jewelry theft case. In this mystery, she travels to Japan with her dad. This was a little different because most stories involve her traveling with her friends, Bess and George.

This is the 56th Nancy Drew mystery. Another fun mystery for Nancy Drew to solve.
IrishFan
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it
This one, the last of the original series, was a little far fetched to me. The pieces just fall into place a little too easily, especially in another country. Still, I liked it.
Meaghan Steeves
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this series.
Stephanie
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, mystery
Historically known as the "last" Nancy Drew book, it wasn't a terrible book to end the "original" Mystery Series on. I noticed others have been a bit taken aback (or more) by certain words and the ways of description of Japanese culture in this book but I think overall there wasn't much to be insulted or irritated at, yes the use of the word "Asiatic", "oriental" and "exotic" is probably outdated in popular usage these days but considering when these books were written those were the terms used ...more
Kelly.S
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jocelyn
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nancy Drew and the Thirteenth Pearl is a book about Nancy and her friends trying to find a necklace that was stolen from a wealthy woman.

Nancy is bored with her life and is hanging out with her friends at the Jeweler he is about to show them his very precious necklace of pearls. The necklace has been stolen from the jewelers safe. Nancy is determined to find out who took the necklace.
So determined she goes to Japan with her father Carson Drew.

Carson Drew is a lawyer in River Heights. Nancy
Phe
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Thirteenth Pearl is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 56th book in the Nancy Drew series.

Asked to locate a stolen necklace of unusual value, Nancy Drew soon discovers that strange and dangerous people are responsible for the theft.

I’ve always been a voracious reader. So, as a child, one of my favorite things about summer was the frequent trips to our local library, which was less than a mile from our house. Like most young girls of a certain age (ahem), my love fo
Emilia Stirling
May 22, 2013 rated it liked it
I read the book, The Thirteenth Pearl. it is about Nancy, she is a detective. Her latest case is to locate a stolen pearl necklace that is very valuable. She soon learns that strange, mysterious, and dangerous people are responsible for the theft of the necklace. They harass her at home and intensify the harassment when she and her father go to Japan. To avoid the perpetual harassment of these mysterious people, Nancy even had to disguise herself as a Japanese girl!
In her search for clues to w
Sarah Crawford
Jan 19, 2016 rated it liked it
The story revolves around pearls, pearl necklaces and, in particular, a 13th pearl on at least some of the necklaces. Mr. Moto runs a jewelry shop and he's robbed and later disappears. The main thing taken is a valuable pearl necklaces that has a 13th pearl on it. A group called World Wide Gems is the suspect, and certain people associated with are particular suspects.

Nancy and her father end up going to Japan where a variety of things happening, including the standard threats to Nancy. There's
Jessi
Nancy has a new mystery and this time she's off to Japan!
A rare pearl necklace owned by Mrs. Rossmeyer (who keeps popping up and having jewels stolen all around Europe) has been stolen and Nancy needs to help track the thieves. The jeweler from whose shop the jewels were stolen also disappears. Nancy travels overseas with her father and discovers that the theft is just one in a series of connected thefts. There are all sorts of interesting cultural tidbits about Japan that are probably horridly
Ashleigh Lopes
Mar 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Wow! I can't believe I'm finally done with the Nancy Drew books. It took longer than I expected, a year and a little over two months, I honestly don't even remember them all. The final book could have been a lot more spectacular, the end quote wasn't even by Nancy herself, but it wasn't bad. It was a lot like all the others. I do wish it would have ended more conclusively, and time passed accurately (Nancy was 18 in all 56 mysteries, each took more than a week), but, for children's books, I supp ...more
Kami
Aug 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I did it. I have now read all 56 Nancy Drew books. It's kind of bitter sweet that this is the last one. Overall this book had an interesting enough storyline but it was kind of slow. Bess and George were hardly in it at all which made me kind of sad. I was also hoping for a little bit more closure since this is the last book. I'd say that the best books in this series are definitely the first ten of them; the last twenty or so all start feeling the same and they get pretty boring. I still think ...more
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I remember the first time I read Nancy Drew. It blew my mind that there were girls presented with a brain. Most of the stuff I'd read up to that time, was that girls were sugar and spice - fluffy. No brains. To also learn about George who is a tomboy was a nice validation. Carolyn Keene wrote just for me! That is how I felt. When I did more research, I was shocked to find out, Ms. Keene was actually a man ... writing under Frank Dixon. I also loved the Hardy Boys. No wonder I loved these series.
Ely
This is difficult because I love Nancy Drew, and I have ever since I was about eight or nine, but this one...this one was awful. The actual story was okay, but the representation of the Japanese characters is terrible. I know this was published at a time where that wasn't such a big deal, but wow. I feel kind of disgusted that my professor actually picked this as an example of 'transnational girlhood'. Is this just in this particular book, or did I gloss over even worse stuff in the rest of the ...more
Eva Moss
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great review for a great book

This book is one of the best Nancy Drew mysteries I have ever read. It has suspense and keeps you on the look out for Nancy Drew. With the threatening phone calls and notes, Kidnappings, and vicious dogs for his Nancy Drew is a great. Suspense novel.
Carolee
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
I just had to include ALL (56) of the Nancy Drew Mystery Stories in my virtual library. I read the entire collection during Grades 5 and 6 - I think, just to say I did. Thank goodness LeeAnne Werry (a wonderful school friend at my rural school) had almost the entire series. I remember I was sooooooo jealous!
Julian
Jan 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
In The Thirteenth Pearl a group of pearl worshipers steal strings of pearls and other valuable things such as a ruby and diamond necklace which was put in Nancy's sleeve to frame her for the thefts.

Nancy must clear her name and solve the case of the thirteenth pearl.

I liked this book because it's about jewelry thefts and some weird pearl worshiping cult.
Olivia
Mar 03, 2014 rated it liked it
This one wasn't that great. I hate when Nancy goes to another country and everyone happens to speak English and the police are willing to drop everything to help her. Also Nancy seems to run around in circles and take a pointless trip to Japan. Not one of the best but it is the last of the original Nancy Drew series so it's worth a read.
Lanelle Duke
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Maybe it's because it's #56, but this Nancy Drew mystery was short on plot. I read it as a kid, and just read it aloud to my girls. I'm as big a Nancy Drew fan as anyone, but this one was far from my favorite.
Victoria Budkey
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the last book in the ORIGINAL yellow-back series, and I'm quite happy with it. Nancy is one of my role models.

Fun fact: The Nancy Drew computer game, Shadow at the Water's Edge, was partly inspired by this mystery.
Arwen
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
  • The Sign of the Crooked Arrow (Hardy Boys, #28)
  • The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden, #2)
  • Logan Bruno, Boy Baby-Sitter (Baby-Sitters Club Special Edition Readers' Request)
  • The Marshland Mystery (Trixie Belden, #10)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• A Quiet Life In The Country (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #1)
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Deliver Her
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dark Monk (The Hangman's Daughter, #2)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Rain Girl (Franza Oberwieser, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Silent Harmony (Fairmont Riding Academy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Shuddering
  • The Unseeing
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The 7th Canon
  • The Sisterhood
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bum Rap (Jake Lassiter #10)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Question of Inheritance (A Very English Mystery #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Hunt (Atlanta Burns, #2)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Good Neighbor
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Widow File (Dani Britton, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shark Skin Suite (Serge Storms #18)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Atlanta Burns (Atlanta Burns #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Free Fall (The John Ceepak Mysteries)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Interference
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Man of Some Repute (A Very English Mystery #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In The Market For Murder (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beggar King (The Hangman's Daughter, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Poisoned Pilgrim (The Hangman's Daughter, #4)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • As The Crow Flies (DI Nick Dixon #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • End of Secrets
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Only the Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Eagle Has Landed (The Liam Devlin Novels)
  • The Lost Ones
  • The Halo Effect
  • The God's Eye View
  • What She Knew
  • Everyone Pays
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Werewolf of Bamberg (The Hangman's Daughter, # 5)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The 7th Victim: A Novel: Volume 1 (The Karen Vail Novels)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shattered Tree (Bess Crawford, #8)
  • The Dante Club
  • Grit
  • Fatal Tide
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Trinity Game (The Game Trilogy Book 1)
  • Live by Night
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Story
  • The Lost Girls
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Summer (Darling Investigations #1)
  • Depth of Lies
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Supreme Justice (Reeder and Rogers #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Dead Cat Bounce (Home Repair is Homicide Mystery #1)
  • The Outliers