Start by marking “Lucian Freud: Beholding the Animal: Unflinching Truth” as Want to Read:
Lucian Freud: Beholding the Animal: Unflinching Truth

Lucian Freud: Beholding the Animal: Unflinching Truth

(Taschen Basic Art)

British artist Lucian Freud is widely considered the most important figurative painter working today. Master portraitist and specialist in nudes, Freud uses impasto to create depth and intensity while restraining his color palate to mostly muted hues. His portraits may be physically unflattering to their subjects, but they are honest, frank, and unapologetic. I paint peopl

Published October 1st 2007 by Taschen (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Lucian Freud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucian Freud

Marica
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arte
In copertina c'è un doppio ritratto frequente in Freud, in questo caso giovane donna e cane che condividono il riposo. Il libro è ben riuscito, belle le immagini e interessante e ben scritto il testo. L'autore racconta l'evoluzione dell'opera di Freud (nipote) nel tempo, spiega la scelta dei soggetti e la corrispondenza fra tecnica e risultato espressivo. Bellissimo libro
Grady
Jul 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Beholding the Animal

Yes, there are many fine books written about the famous figurative painter Lucien Freud and many of them have far better reproductions for the master's works. But for those who have been considering investing in a monograph on Freud's works, a volume that gives enough representations of his oeuvre to appreciate the spectrum of his talent while giving readable and entertaining written information about the artist and his technique and subject choices, this affordable Taschen
Ruby
Jul 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, y2010, here
Oh this was wonderful! You see, after reading the book about Schiele I was quite nervous: my grandmother gave me the Volkskrant set with 20 books about "Modern Masters" for my graduation, but the first one I read was rather awkwardly written and boring. But this was a perfect introduction to Lucian Freud, I think. (for example: no sidetracking, with explanations, engagingly written. Why yes Reinhard Steiner, I'm looking at you) I didn't know anything about Freud going into the book and I wasn't ...more
Hyram Sempere
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Español:

La importancia de la obra de Freud en el mundo del arte actual es inherente a las vanguardias y enfoques de la pintura figurativas que se explotan y se exploran en el día a día. Hay tanto poder en sus líneas, penetración en sus trazos, elegancia en su distribución y buen ojo en sus composiciones que golpean en la retina de una forma concisa y sin pretensión.
El ensayo de Smee plantea unas cuestiones estéticas que hacen más digerible la obra del nieto de Sigmund y dan al conocedor de beb
Greg
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a good quality inexpensive little art book written by a very good arts writer. The reproductions are pretty good and clear. The paper quality is excellent and page layouts are pleasing. This is a good introduction to the work and life of one of the twentieth century's greatest painters. The book is also nice to have for portrait artists already familiar with Freud's work and life, just for to marvel at his colour palette, paint handling, and confident drawing with his brush.
Diogo
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oil-painting
The book itself is a gorgeous thing to hold. The paper slides smoothly through your fingers with the pleasant scent of quality prints. The choice between the paintings and the narrative is good. It is not a very elaborate book, but a sorts of a gentle hike through the painting of Freud. The rating is of 3.5 in 5, rounded up to 4 in 5.
Yooperprof
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: britain, art, biography
Amazing, disturbing, fleshy, luminous, brutally honest, occasionally cruel, and human, all too human. This book makes a very convincing argument that Lucian Freud (1922-2011) deserves to be remembered as one of the very greatest portrait painters - full stop.
Paul
May 09, 2011 rated it liked it
A good introduction to Freud with some great paintings presented, if you want to get deeper into the man behind the paintings I would probably go elsewhere otherwise this is a great starting point.
j_ay
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-books
8 December 1922 – 20 July 2011
The last of the Great Painters is gone...
Fabio
Sep 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Good Taschen monograph on the aptly dubbed "Ingres of existentialism."
Raluca
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-books, best
I don't know what kind of man he was; I heard he took an incredibly long time to paint a portrait. He might have been a mystic, I don't know, but his art is touching, true and I love it.
Felina
May 10, 2019
Jodi
Mar 09, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Taschen Basic Art (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Arcimboldo (Taschen Basic Art)
  • Botero (Taschen Art Album)
  • Bruegel: The Complete Paintings (Basic Art)
  • Calder, 1898-1976
  • Cézanne (Taschen Basic Art)
  • Chagall