Start by marking “Immortality (And Other Short Stories)” as Want to Read:
Immortality (And Other Short Stories)

Immortality (And Other Short Stories)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  39 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The twenty-two short stories in this collection are at turns tragic, funny, cringe-worthy, transcendent, and more. But though they range widely in content and scope, they are unified in this affirmation: that life, despite its inherent and inevitable tragedies, is beautiful.
Published March 20th 2013 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published March 19th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Immortality, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Akon Whick
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Immortality (And Other Short Stories)
John
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The short story as a genre is sometimes a hard one to define. It has been classified by some as an apprenticeship form preceding more lengthy works, and by others as a crafted form in its own right. In either case, one can only hope that this is the author's launchpad to more.

Josh Barkey's Immortality (And Other Short Stories) is a fascinating collection of twenty-two tales that manage to cover a wide array of topics and geographic locations, and his characters are memorable in their own right.
Ionia
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So, I am really bad about judging things before I get the chance to read them and this book was no exception to that rule. When I heard the words 'short stories' I somewhat expected rather boring collections of random, unfinished thoughts. This was not the case at all with "immortality."

Along with a memorable cast of characters that you just can't help but become involved with, the author has included a wide variety of topics. Each story is unique and it is so easy to revel in them that you hate
Josh Barkey
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I gave this book five stars because I know it better than any book I've ever read, and I still very much like it. I wrote it with my own fingers, though, so it's probably best to take my opinion with a grain of salt.
Leah
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Barkey's stories participate in replenishing a love for life by niggling at the heart, awakening an impulse to live courageously in the midst of disappointments, outrage, and tragedy. Among my many favorites in this book are Epiphany, Into That Good Night, Last Dance, and The Apple and the Oak. I highly recommend this book!
Sri Indah
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it
918kiss Login
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book to improve our self. 918kiss read this book twice... ...more
Grady
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A marriage of art and words: Introducing a mature craftsman

So much of what IMMORTALITY: Meditations on the beauty of this finite life is right in front of us, on the cover, in the art - which happens also to be the work of the writer (Josh Barkey is an accomplished satirical painter and draughtsman with gifts that have only begun to gestate): a man/boy sits on the edge of a high cliff, head bowed in frustration, while in one hand he holds a string attached to a floating anvil (in his original ar
Kath Middleton
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a very good collection of short stories, heavily influenced by the author's time spent planting trees in Canada as part of the reforestation programme. There are some stories of the tough life there, but others on varied topics are thought provoking or amusing.

The stories vary in length but all are well written and gripping. A great book to get your teeth into.
Sami Khan
Custom Packaging Boxes Products
Here are some design ideas of the products where you can take inspirations from and let us work
with your added instructions. We would always maximize the value of the product.
Custom Packaging Boxes
Mark Balson
Sep 24, 2013 rated it liked it
I found this book repetitive.
Katya
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A book of beautiful tales, heavy on life's senseless preference for tragedies.
Jaimee
Jesse A
Isaac Zepeda
Nov 05, 2013
Briane Pagel
rated it did not like it
May 24, 2015
Mygsasha
Sep 15, 2013
Susan McSwiney
May 08, 2014

• No Other Way (Harry Hunter Mystery, #3)
  • 100 Days in Deadland (Deadland Saga, #1)
  • Deadland's Harvest (Deadland Saga, #2)
  • How to Win Friends and Influence People
  • Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus
Josh Barkey was raised from diapers to diploma in the Amazon Basin of Peru, South America. He then paid for an English degree by sticking hundreds of thousands of baby trees into Canadian dirt, and now lives in a shed in North Carolina, arranging words into stories and screenplays.

News & Interviews