Start by marking “Paint Chips” as Want to Read:
Paint Chips

Paint Chips

Though haunted by her troubled past, Dot has found a safe haven. She has a fierce protector and a colorful collection of friends...but sometimes she wonders if her life will ever be normal again. Though college and romance await her, embracing them requires a new kind of strength-one she isn't sure she has. Emerging from years of confusion, Cora struggles to latch hold of ...more
Published April 15th 2013 by Whitefire Publishing (first published January 10th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Paint Chips, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paint Chips

Amy
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Those of us who write often read what others have written and think, "Man! I wish I had written that!" This little novel is filled with sentences I wished I had written. The novel is basically about three women who have suffered through the terrors of human trafficking - Cora, Dot (Cora's daughter), and Lola. It is about their struggles to see past the damage of their lives and into the beauty that God intended for them. Sprinkled with humor, sadness, compassion and love, the author wrestles wit ...more
Holly Becker
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Make sure the tissue box is close by. This story weaves through the lives of two woman who have suffered deeply, but there is hope in the darkness. While reading, I became so wrapped up in the lives and memories of the characters it was difficult to put down. I was concerned that it would end too soon, but the author brings you to a gentle, thoughtful, and satisfying conclusion.
Steven Devries
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a bit torn between four and five stars. Paint Chips is a very well written, and finely constructed first novel. Tackling a difficult subject like sex trafficking, and writing it for the Christian market cannot have been an easy task, but we need more books like this that snap us out of our cocoons and make us realize what happens every day all around us. Even in places like the novel's setting of West Michigan, where it is easy to live isolated by church and prosperity and pretend nothing b ...more
Staci
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
Paint Chips, debut novel by Susie Finkbeiner, is about three women and the impact of the sex trade on their lives. The novel is at once horrifying and hopeful. The author does a stellar job of unfolding the story through the eyes of Cora and Dot. Among the pain, there is the light of Jesus time and time again. This novel was a page turner and highly recommended for adult readers that can stomach this difficult subject matter.

Kim deBlecourt
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Outrageous neglect. Horrific emotional, physical and sexual abuse. Human trafficking. Life on the streets. A state mental hospital. From the woods of the mountains to sparkling lakeshores, the trek of this family is one you will not soon forget.

I struggled to continue with daily life, as I found myself wondering what would happen next in the story of Cora and her daughter, Dot. As the chapters transition back and forth between the two main characters, the lives of both women weave a tapestry of
April McGowan
Shelves: books-to-re-read
Excellent read. Any book that keeps me reading until the wee hours of the morning is worth recommending..and reading again. I don't re-read many authors, but this one is on that 'shelf'. Susie Finkbeiner's characters drew me in, showed me their world and helped me become more empathetic to an issue that is going largely ignored by most of society: sexual trafficking. Don't get me wrong--we all know it's out there, but it's ugly and we'd rather not think about it. There are a lot of books out the ...more
Heather Gilbert
I can't really put into words how much this novel moved me. The interwoven stories of mother and daughter were so well-developed. Though there are horribly sad events that occur throughout, the light of God's love shines through this entire book, challenging the reader to probe deep and embrace the good God brings into our lives.

This is definitely one of my new favorite novels, and I look forward to Finkbeiner's future releases.
JJ Landis
Shelves: ebook-on-phone, 2013
I normally despise Christian fiction because of the syrupy and shallow characters and predictable story lines. Paint Chips broke the mold! Authentic and raw and full of suspense. A beautiful story.
Nancee
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Nancee by: quiltcat26@sbcglobal.net
"Paint Chips" reveals the painful life stories of three women whose lives were very nearly destroyed as young children. Their stories are interwoven in a remarkable manner, each sharing a common thread. Abuse is no stranger to these women as their childhood lives were brutally torn from them, innocence and youth destroyed. These atrocities are all too common in our society, emotional, verbal, physical and sexual abuse. As the stories of these three women unfold realism becomes so profoundly crue ...more
Christine Lindsay
I knew from the get-go that Paint Chips would not be a fluffy read. I expected it to be deep and profound, but before starting to read, I secretly cringed that it might be just too sad. To my surprise, the book held me from page one and would not let go. Yes, it started out sad, but in each sentence lay the nugget of hope. I turned the pages quickly salivating for that hope that I knew was coming. The author did not keep me waiting long. Hope shone through the chapters.

Paint Chips was all I expe
Elizabeth
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a roller coaster for emotions. Everyone was stating in reviews they couldn't put it down. Honestly I could at the beginning but around 47% or so I couldn't. Then it almost took me to the end before I just had to go to sleep!!

I laughed, I cried-both tears of joy and sorrow. The ending was perfect! It made everything tie up nicely so you weren't guessing about what happened to everyone, I hate when books don't tie it up!

I really recommend this book to every person. You don't really th
Tom
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was introduced to Paint Chips by Susie Finkbeiner at her book signing in Grand Rapids, Mi. I bought the book sight unseen, but ended up reading the e-book edition.
I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by the detailed characters and storyline. It was one of those novels that you can't wait to get back to reading.
The setting of West Michigan was familiar and the story brought awareness that sex trafficking is present in every city.
I am anticipating another great story in her second book, My
Beki
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an honest, startling look at sex-trafficking in the United States, surrounded by a story full of beauty and hope. That these kinds of evil happen in cities all around us is a truth that many of us ignore. This important story is told with sincerity and heart, giving us characters to love, mourn, cheer on and hope for. Susie Finkbeiner reveals a painful truth through a tender story.
Shelana Ferris
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I purchased this book not knowing what to expect. I was doing it to support a friend. I was hooked from the beginning. Susie just draws you into the characters and their lives. I loved reading about Cora and Dot and their healing. She tells you a great story while informing you about the realities of human trafficking right here in Grand Rapids. Definitely a must read!!!
Hope Ford
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once I picked up my reader to begin, I couldn't put this one down. Cora and Dot became real to me, and their lives opened my eyes even further to the reality of this world. I cannot wait to read more from this author!
Emily Devlieger
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the book! I would sit down to read and time would fly by. The characters were so real! I can't tell you how wonderful this book was! I highly recommend reading it!
Denise
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do not know if Susie Finkbeiner has written any more books but if she has or does I will not hesitate to pick it up.

Paint Chips delves into the nightmare that is child enslavement and prostitution. And through it all it talks about how God can take the ugly, scrape it away and make it beautiful again.

A story that stays with you days after you have finished it is a strong story. And this is not a story I will soon forget.

Also, on a lighter note, it is mentioned to sprinkle cinnamon on your coff
C.
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had a little difficulty with the beginning of the book due to every other chapter being first person by two different protagonists. Once I got the hang of it, I was fine. Knowing up front that every other chapter is from Cora's point of view and the other is Dot's, does help, so this is your heads up. ;)

This is not your "feel good" type of novel. In fact, it's rather deep and heartbreaking. With that said, you will become very attached to the characters.
It takes a while to see how these ladie
Katherine Salinas
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was one of the most beautiful pictures of redemption I have read in a long time. I so appreciated the author's willingness to address the grit and gruesome aspects of sex trafficking without exploiting them in a way that was too graphic. Because of the author's personal experience with sex trafficked women, I believe she handled it delicately without pushing it too far.
Also, as much as I love Christian fiction, I was skeptical that this could stand up to the exceptional writing abiliti
April McGowan
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this down. It kept me up until 3AM before I gave in and went to sleep--and then I finished it the next day. That's a rare thing to happen to me. I found the characters to be authentic in their pain, trials, redemption and joys. I loved the way the author's empathy for the subject matter shone through and helped me see the world through the character's eyes. Homelessness and sex trafficking are ugly reminders of our broken world, and it's easier for us to look the other way than to ...more
Luke Hassevoort
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Susie Finkbeiner writes Paint Chips with poise and courage. The stories of Dot and Cora will simultaneously break and encourage you as they work through unimaginable suffering towards beautiful healing.

Paint Chips exposes the brutal realities of abuse and exploitation in our world. It is not a book to be taken lightly. Finkbeiner displays an astounding capacity to write in a way that speaks to the heart. She tears away the facade of perfection and completion, and let's the reader dwell in the ra
Normandie Fischer
Dec 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. It wasn't an easy book to read, but then most of the best ones aren't. I didn't want to dig deeply into the ugliness of sex trafficking; like most of us, I'd rather keep my lenses rose-tinted. But Susie handled the raw ugliness of that underworld with a deft touch and occasional humor. I appreciate that she didn't offer platitudes to excuse inequities, that she allowed the questions to surface, the ones we all ask that have no simple answers. Seldom does a writer of Christian fi ...more
Matt Miles
Dec 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's a lot of beauty, injustice and pain in this novel, side by side, along with empathy, grace and kindness. The ugliness, injustice and pain of abuse, sexual trafficking and emotional trauma aren't glossed over, nor are the inexplicable tragedy and incomprehensible grief. This is beautifully written, and dares to hope in a world that doesn't seem to sustain it. But the empathy and beauty keep this book afloat, and make a worthwhile, compassionate read.
Tracey Riddle
Heartbreaking and beautiful

This book was amazing! A sad story but filled with God's redemptive mercy. Engaging characters and a gripping plot line. Be careful or it will keep you up late unto the night! I highly recommend this book. Now I'm going to finish this review so that I can go order another of Susie Finkbeiner's books!
Karlyn Balfour
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down! It takes you to a place where you can't help but become emotionally attached to the characters. It's one that makes me wonder where life took them. It also opens up your eyes that sex trafficking sadly happens everywhere. This book is eye opening. can't wait to read her next book!!!
Roseanna White
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*I edited this book*

I like to say that Susie Finkbeiner rights books that break my heart--and then put it together again. Her debut novel did just that, with the story of two people (mother and daughter) who suffer so much, lose so much...and find so much as they heal. This is a story of hope amidst the darkness, of beauty under the pain.
Debra Stauffer
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a compelling story! I didn't want to put it down, because I wanted to find out what was going to happen to the characters. Susie did a wonderful job keeping my attention, drawing me into her characters, and writing a believable story with not only happiness involved. It is a great story of God's healing hand in hurting lives.
Angie  Moore
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was so blessed to have met the author last week and I bought the book. I am so glad I did! It was so good! Heartbreaking but also full of hope at the same time.
Blanche
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very well written with wonderful connections between the characters
Natasha
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Excellent book! I've been looking forward to reading it for quite some time and it did not disappoint. I will be watching for more books by this author.

• Kissed by Madness
  • Altered Selves
  • The Indigo Bunting
  • Papal Bull: An Ex-Catholic Calls Out the Catholic Church
  • Clan Fianna (The Fellwater Tales #3)
  • Some Act of Vision
  • The Bittersweet Vine
  • The List Conspiracy (Wallis Jones, #1)
  • Old Testament Theology: Reading the Hebrew Bible as Christian Scripture
  • The Fisherman's Wife: The Gospel According to St. Peter's Spouse
  • Country Music Broke My Brain: A Behind-the-Microphone Peek at Nashville's Famous and Fabulous Stars
  • Fallen Hopes, Taken Dreams
  • Devil's Acre: A Russian Novel
  • Dissected
  • The Sacred Ego: Making Peace with Ourselves and Our World
  • Compromise Cake: Lessons Learned from my Mother's Recipe Box
  • Secrets of the Old Ladies' Club
  • Beauty Defiled, Beauty Revealed: A Tragic Story of True Blessing
Susie Finkbeiner is the CBA bestselling author of A Cup of Dust, A Trail of Crumbs, and A Song of Home

Her most recent novel, All Manner of Things, releases in June, 2019 with Revell.

She serves on the Breathe Christian Writers Conference planning committee, volunteers her time at Ada Bible Church in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and speaks at retreats and women's events across the state. Susie and her h