Start by marking “Gretel: The Children of the Sun” as Want to Read:
Gretel: The Children of the Sun

Gretel: The Children of the Sun

'These are the words that span lives over thousands of years: the voices that have traveled so very far, from continents away, to end in a singular point within the weighted pages in my hands. I am but a small piece of that history, a remnant of something much greater, whose value is no more than its own self-worth. Those who came before, who gave birth to me and those who ...more
Paperback, Revised First Edition, 204 pages
Published April 4th 2013 by Gretel: The Children of the Sun

To ask other readers questions about Gretel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gretel

Start your review of Gretel: The Children of the Sun
Markus
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

My rating (2 stars = it was ok) reflects my personal opinion. It is definitely a lovely book but I am just not the kind of person it is written for. If I were a member of the main target audience (young, female) I would at least rate it 3, most probably 4 stars.

Gretel is born in Austria but soon moves to the USA with her brother and father where they live on a remote farm. She is told that her mother died when she was still young and
Andrea
Jan 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Devin
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a mythological fairytale in modern times. It is an easy read that you can really sink into. Following Gretel`s story is beautiful and a little dark at times.
I loved that Gretel and her family are "special" but still are normal in their desires and personalities. The book has a really good flow going through Gretel`s life.
It felt a little slow in the beginning but once things got rolling I couldn't put it down. I wish there was more about her travels, it felt a little rushed at times.
Nichole
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I found it difficult to put this book down; in fact, I read it in its entirety on one very long, hot day. Although I suppose its actually a work of fantasy -- some characters are able to read and manipulate minds -- most of the situations are very easy to relate to(very real). Two of the main characters, Margaret and her mother, experience very normal human feelings such as loss, regret, and a desire to fit in. It was easy for me to identify with Gretel, which is how I became so taken with the ...more
Nancy Steinle gummel
Gretel: The Children of the Sun by R. Matthew Simmons is a very different book. I couldn't make up my mind whether or not I liked it. All in all, I'll have to say I liked it. There was an undercurrent of melancholy while reading it. Too many missing people, assumed harmed in some way, perhaps even murdered. There is no clue given as to whom is responsible. It is only hinted. It's a story of a young girl discovering her mother thru journals she left behind. She inherited her grandfather's farm ...more
Alyssa Greatbanks
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
A story written as the diary of Grethel. A well-written book, there was just enough of a fantasy element to make it different, but not too much that you could still relate and feel for the characters.

I felt that it could be a good stand-alone book. I may or may not read others in the series, but the book does a good job of leaving it open to do either way.

A nice read, not too long, simple enough that the premise of the Sunna is easily grasped.

I recieved this book through the GoodReads First
Courtney Klein
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Interesting concept with a few passages that would make good quotes, but it seemed really drawn out and a bit repetitive in areas. It's a short book but it took me a VERY long time to get though. Then it ends only to be continued. I will not be continuing the story.
Jonathan Oag
Jessica
May 22, 2013
Melissa Cushing
May 22, 2013
R. Matthew Simmons was born in a small town in Western, PA. Currently he resides and works in Salt Lake City, UT and holds a B.A. in History. When he is not sitting in front of his computer writing, he can be found on his bike somewhere in the mountains that surround his home.

Gretel is his first novel.

Book Two in The Children of the Sun series is currently in the works.