Start by marking “Dedicated to God: An Oral History of Cloistered Nuns” as Want to Read:
Dedicated to God: An Oral History of Cloistered Nuns

Dedicated to God: An Oral History of Cloistered Nuns

Published January 7th 2014 by OUP Us (first published November 13th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Dedicated to God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dedicated to God

Adam
Jan 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Abbie Reese tells the story of the Poor Clare Collettine nuns of Corpus Christi monastery (in my hometown of Rockford, Illinois) in their own words. Except for my moment of irritation at her unfortunate (and false) reduction of the surrounding area to little more than "a high crime urban area," I thoroughly enjoyed this intimate portrait of the unseen world of the cloister. Reese dispels the notion of the cloistered nun as a quirky recluse and puts in its place a vibrant mosaic of women with dif ...more
University of Chicago Magazine
Abbie Reese, MFA'13
Author

From the author: "As a subculture, cloistered monastic nuns live hidden from public view by choice. Once a woman joins the cloister and makes final vows, she is almost never seen and her voice is not heard; her story is essentially nonexistent in the historical record and collective, public history.

"From interviews conducted over six years, Abbie Reese tells the stories of the Poor Clare Colettine Order, a cloistered contemplative order at the Corpus Christi Monastery in
Andrew Field
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book, despite being somewhere on the spectrum between an atheist and an agnostic. I found the lives of these cloistered nuns to be inspiring, not only because of the enormous amount of discipline they freely impose upon their lives, but because they seem to have heeded a genuine calling, a genuine vocation. They are cloistered nuns, which means they cannot leave their 25,000 square-foot gated enclosure. Families are allowed to visit, if I remember correctly, four ti ...more
Nrtashi
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The stories were told in a very interesting fashion. Even if some things were repeated several times over and over again it wasn't boring-that's just how narrative went-and it was interesting to see how each nun said basically the same thing in slightly different words. But sometimes they diverged, and that was even more entertaining, to see how a single community can have a radically different visions on God, and life, and their role in it. Some of these worldviews were pretty shallow, some wer ...more
~Annaki~
Despite not being religious myself (but spiritual indeed), I have always been fascinated and deeply intrigued by people / communities who live apart from the world- be it Catholic nuns, Buddhist monks, the Amish, prison inmates serving life sentences, families who move off the grid and live off the land or any other person or community who leaves the mainstream world behind.

I was utterly captivated by the personal stories in this book and the way the nuns shared what their lives had been before
Grazyna Nawrocka
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The feeling of this book was like moving in to ants nest - exploring microcosm. The lecture is inspirational and uplifting. Although I completely disagree with concept of being married to Jesus Christ, the book helped me to understand the ideology behind Catholic nuns and cloisters. For some reason the book has cathartic and spiritual effect. I enjoyed reading it, but agree that it is not a reading for everybody.
Paul
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
An oral history is the perfect format for this excellent book on cloistered nuns. Only the words of those who live this life could give such a feeling of honesty and intimacy. This book opened up a different world for me.
William Nist
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: religious
This collection of oral histories of Poor Clare Colletine Nuns from Rockford, IL unfortunately is banal and targeted for an naive popular audience. The issues covered, primarily the "call" and "response" to religious life, are treated in a traditional bromidic fashion, calling for no more sophistication than a Catholic grade school student possess.

Any substantive issue, like say, the years of doubt many religious suffer, the sexuality of the convent, the decision to leave, the struggle of commu
Slee
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Awareness of this book came to me from an unusual direction. An aunt heard of it and contacted me before it was released to ask me to look for it. It seemed like an odd request, but I requested iit at my library and eventually it turned up on my shelf. Although somewhat a departure from my standard reading choices, I set everything aside and spent the last week, yes, it took me a week to read, slowly taking in the lives of each of the nuns who chose to participate in this project.
This book reso
James
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Call from God, Life in a monastery and Threats of the cloistered life of nuns of Pure Clare Colettine http://www.cloisteredlife.com/poor-cl.... These excerpts meant the most to me.

According to the treatise Verbi Sponsa: Instruction on the Contemplative Life and on the Enclosure of Nuns, a publication that is given to all Poor Clare postulants when they enter the Corpus Christi Monastery as part of their formation, a cloistered contemplative yearns for “fulfillment in God, in an uninterrupte
John
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-ficton
This is an affecting look at the lives and stories of the cloistered Poor Clare nuns at a monastery in Rockford IL. Their stories are engaging and often moving, and should dispel any stereotype of the monastic as someone who just doesn't fit in the secular world: most of these women come from very mainstream (Catholic) American backgrounds, and many had successful careers before entering the cloistered life.

Their accounts of their "conversion" (though I think all were religious to a degree befor
Susan
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Abbie Reese shared the stories of the Poor Clares of Rockford, Illinois. The sisters shared their early lives, their unique calling to a monastic life,and their acceptance of God's call. They shared their daily lives, living behind the grill, and what they have given up. But, despite what they have given up, they believe their lives are most fulfilled. They are truly our prayer warriors and beautiful souls.
Sharon Bo
I like enthnography and oral history, and I think this is an excellent contribution to those areas. I recommend it to anyone who is interested in closed communities, women's lives and life choices and religious life. Reese's photos from inside the cloister add interest to the book. I can hardly wait for the companion movie, "Chosen," which is in early stages of production. (Learn more at the website -- http://www.chosenthefilm.com)
Cheri Zweep
I'm having a hard time getting through this one . . . .

I had such a difficult time reading this book. I was very interested in the stories and very interested in the entire cloistered lifestyle, but I felt the author fell short in telling the story in a good way.

Does anyone else feel this way?
Littlem7
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I have been to their monastery and have a Rosary from there. It was very interesting to hear about their lives. I could see this book opening eyes and hearts to those who might consider joining. I pray that it does.
Gort
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Iure beatae et porro tenetur veritatis. Quo dicta reiciendis. Sit sed autem quas dolor alias animi.
umang
Dec 07, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 stars: surreal view into this otherworldly world. writing was a bit circular and repetitive but deeply respectful
helen ryan
  • A Naturalist Buys an Old Farm
  • A Handmade Life: In Search of Simplicity
  • And Then There Were Nuns: Adventures in a Cloistered Life
  • Sleeping Beauty: Memorial Photography in America
  • Grow Cook Eat: A Food Lover's Guide to Vegetable Gardening, Including 50 Recipes, Plus Harvesting and Storage Tips
  • Waking Up Catholic: A Guide to Catholic Beliefs for Converts, Reverts, and Anyone Becoming Catholic
  • Chick Days: An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens from Hatching to Laying
  • Sanctuary of the Soul: Journey Into Meditative Prayer
  • The Lessons of Saint Francis: How to Bring Simplicity and Spirituality into Your Daily Life
  • Emergency Care
  • Three Gifts of Therese of Lisieux: A Saint for Our Times
  • Swear to God The Promise and Power of the Sacraments
  • On Heaven and Earth: Pope Francis on Faith, Family, and the Church in the Twenty-First Century
  • A Curious Madness: An American Combat Psychiatrist, a Japanese War Crimes Suspect, and an Unsolved Mystery from World War II
  • Balance: A Story of Faith, Family, and Life on the Line
  • Catholic Prayers of Thanks
  • Sacred Fire: Practicing Devotion to the Heart of Jesus
Abbie Reese is an independent scholar and an interdisciplinary artist. In her relationship- and research-based practice, she utilizes oral history and ethnographic methodologies to explore individual and cultural identity, public and private performances, and the liminal state as one transitions social roles. Abbie received a Master of Fine Arts in Visual Arts from the University of Chicago and sh ...more