Start by marking “I Wonder” as Want to Read:
I Wonder

I Wonder

I Wonder offers crucial lessons in emotional intelligence, starting with being secure in the face of uncertainty. Annaka Harris has woven a beautiful tapestry of art, storytelling, and profound wisdom. Any young child – and parent – will benefit from sharing this wondrous book together.”—Daniel Goleman, author of the #1 bestseller Emotional Intelligence

I Wonder captures
Published October 15th 2013 by Four Elephants Press (first published October 8th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about I Wonder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Wonder

Mehwish Mughal
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a beautiful book! I loved the illustrations - it had a very calming and soothing effect on the brain!
The message: It's okay to teach the young ones that we do not have answers to everything and that life is mysterious! It most probably will set a strong foundation for independent inquiry.

Paula
Mar 19, 2014 rated it liked it
I know that it's a book for children, but somehow I just wanted it to be a little bit more....something. I had such high hopes. Maybe when I read it to my own children and see how they respond I will feel differently.
Sambucas
Oct 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Fantastic book on the nature of the known and unknown for any young child, or adult for that matter.
Dan Meier
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best children's books I have read in a long time. Turning a parent's "I don't know" into a child's "I wonder?"
Cat
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Marvelous book! A must read by parents and caregivers everywhere. I used to hate when grown ups didn't have answers to my questions, or made stuff up. I also hated when adults made fun of me for not knowing something. This book is respectful and teaches both ADULTS and children that it's ok not to know something and admit it! And to ask a question, to seek answer and not be told its stupid a stupid question. I like that it encourages curiosity and seeking knowledge. The illustrations are wonderf ...more
Portable
This is a beautiful book about curiosity, asking questions, and not always knowing the answers. Dreamy, purple and gold-toned illustrations portray a girl and her mother as they explore nature and the universe, asking questions, finding some answers, and being happy just to wonder. A great book for our investigations unit, but also for encouraging growth mindset, extending boundaries and relaxing into not always knowing.
Hailey
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book with amazing illustrations. I greatly enjoyed how the message of being curious and saying "I don't know" was conveyed in this book. Too often people don't realize it's okay not to have all the answers and this book is one way to share with kids that it's okay to just wonder and not know.
Tanja
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
How did I miss this wonderful book that was published already a few years ago? Brilliant and beautiful!
Elisabeth
A girl and her mom go for a sweet walk together, wondering about the world around them. For the story of it, I like it very much. The feel of the story and accompanying illustrations are just lovely. Dreamy even. There's also kind of this wonderful sense that wondering about something can fill you with wonder, which was really nice. But as a discussion (or lesson if you must put it that way) on how to face uncertainty, I have mixed feelings. I think it's a wonderful thing, to learn to be open to ...more
Claudine Yanting
May 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love the idea behind this picture book and the glorious paintings.

...

"It's okay to say, I don't know," says her mother.
"When we don't know something, we get to wonder about it!"

Young, curious Eva takes a beautiful walk with her mother, and explores the mysteries of the world.

Where does gravity come from?

How many grains of sand are there in the whole world?

Things are always changing. Eggs to caterpillars to butterflies to eggs. What else changes?

The best part of this picture book is when Eva ask
Pam
Oct 27, 2016 rated it liked it
I understand why everyone loves this book and agree that it serves an important purpose, but I have several major issues with it. I agree that "I don't know" and the humility that conveys is an important teachable lesson. I was severely disappointed that at no point did the mother say, "Let's go read about this and find out." Wonder is a good thing, but it is the action taken to learn that is the greatest gift we can give our children! Annaka Harris could have also taken two pages at the end to ...more
Lyndsey Wells
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I Wonder captures many significant questions that young children, and we as humans begin to assemble at a very young age which carries with us into adulthood. As a mother and young daughter wander about the great outdoors, the child begins to develop a strong sense of inquiry to her surrounds and how cycles within the world relate. Inspiring the sense of inquiry within young learners is essential for future development and gathering interest about systems in which the world operates. More import ...more
Viv
Jan 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
The book is beautifully illustrated and the content of the conversations between a mother and a daughter is fun to read. I am going to see if I could use this book for my preschool science storytime...The book does a good job teaching children how to wonder and ask questions about the nature and unknowns.
Tiffany
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love the messages found in this lovely picture book. Short enough to quickly read at bedtime with ethereal illustrations. Think and wonder. We know the answers to some questions, but there are many mysteries in life (for everyone!) and it's okay to say, "I don't know!"

Scientifically, it briefly and simply introduces astronomy, gravity, and life cycles.
Laurie
May 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a fantastic book with beautiful illustrations. The author does such a nice job of not talking down to children, but instead she embraces their natural sense of curiosity and inspires thoughtful conversations between parents and children. Although I only read an electronic version, I am sure the print version is even more amazing. I highly recommend this book for all children.
Diane
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
"We live with some big mysteries. When we come upon one, we're given a little gift. Every mystery is something for all of us to wonder about together. What do you wonder about?"

A little girl and her mother explore nature and talk about the importance of wondering. "When we don't know something, we get to wonder about it."
Thomas
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Will my very old-school Catholic in-laws ever forgive me for their grandchildren getting this book as part of their Easter bunny basket? Probably not.

Being written out of the will aside – this is a really beautiful book both in scope and the sense of wonder it creates (and addresses) and in the illustrations. It’s Jon J. Muth minus the metaphysical and religious bend.
Marmot
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved the concept, and illustrations in this book - the dreamy watercolours were amazing. But for some reason, I'm never very fond of picture books written in the present tense... reading them aloud feels strange. 5 stars for illustrations, 3 for text.
Bridget O'hanlon
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Perfect way to address all the different questions kids ask, by admitting you don't know, and encouraging kids to think for themselves.
Derrick Schneider
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous artwork and a nice, well-written message
Priscilla
Sep 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Great message but not actually that engaging for kids. From my perspective it's great, but my kid doesn't really like it. But she's only 2, maybe it'll be a hit later?
Mohammad Javad
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Would be among the first books I will buy for my child.
J.M. Wang
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: worth-re-reading
One of my top favorite children's books! Gorgeous, beautiful illustrations w/ an important and meaningful message! Highly recommend ❤ ...more
Jamie Forrest
Jul 24, 2014
Cori
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick ready making the rounds on Facebook
Brooke Lemaster
  • How To
  • Nancy Knows
  • The Rabbit Who Wants To Fall Asleep: A New Way of Getting Children to Sleep
  • Evolution: How We and All Living Things Came To Be
  • Have a Look, Says Book.
  • The Young Atheist's Survival Guide: Helping Secular Students Thrive