Start by marking “God for Us: Rediscovering the Meaning of Lent and Easter” as Want to Read:
God for Us: Rediscovering the Meaning of Lent and Easter

God for Us: Rediscovering the Meaning of Lent and Easter

God For Us explores the meaning of Lent, its importance in spiritual formation, its significance in preparation for Easter, and the holy season of Easter itself.

God For Us: Rediscovering the Meaning of Lent and Easter features reflections by Scott Cairns, Kathleen Norris, Richard Rohr, Ronald Rolheiser, OMI, James Schaap, Luci Shaw, Beth Bevis, and Lauren F. Winner. By
Published December 1st 2013 by Paraclete Press (first published November 28th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about God for Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God for Us

Start your review of God for Us: Rediscovering the Meaning of Lent and Easter
Shannon
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith, nonfiction
It may seem premature to review a book I haven't finished reading yet, but I can say with certainty this book deserves five stars. It is, by far, the best Lenten devotional I've ever read. There is much I love about it:

1) The full color reproductions of art on every page were the original reason I bought this book. They have not disappointed. I've seen art by artists I know and love as well as encountered artists I've never heard of. Without fail, I have enjoyed having art accompany the daily de
James
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
the past couple of years my Lenten practice has been enriched by books from Paraclete Press. Two years ago I prayed the daily offices from the Prayer Book of the Early Christians through Lent. Last year my wife and I read Seeking His Mind: 40 Meetings With Christ by M. Basil Pennington as part of our evening devotions.I was on the hunt for a good reader for Lent this year and was excited by Paraclete’s latest offering, God For Us: Rediscovering th
e Meaning of Lent and Easter. I am highly impress
Karen Hsu
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
April 2015 - I didn't make it to the end because of busyness, which is contradictory to the point of the book. Nevertheless, I still enjoyed the sections we read. The history of Lent and Easter is something we all should recognize and know.

April 2014 - My husband and I started this book focused and determined to make it through our Lenten sacrifices. Toward the end, it became a chore, but this book was not at fault.

The book highlighted the rich history and traditions of Lent, which helped us app
lisa
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
As a book reviewer and passionate reader of spirituality texts, I have seen many devotionals that do not delve deeply enough. In God for Us, I have discovered insightful writing and beautiful prayers that will nourish me in future Lents. Not only are there readings for each day of Lent, but also brief essays on the history of special feasts observed during the season, such as Palm Sunday.

For my complete review, visit my blog, light to read by.
Shari McCullough
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a rich way to spend each day of Lent reading this thought-filled and thought provoking daily devotional book. It will be a treasured addition to my Lenten journey in the years to come. The team of writers are well chosen. The historical background so enriching. And the art work ... so perfectly selected. I sat silently with the art as it invited me into such holy places. I cannot recommend this book enough!

Mar
Feb 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Good book for Lent/Easter Devotions. A variety of writers take on a week of meditations, and I like some of them more then others. The art work chosen to accompany the daily reading is worth looking at. Each day has assigned Scripture readings from the Psalms, Prophets, Gospels and New Testament Letters and if readers are going to read it all, they need to set aside sufficient time. If just reading the devotional/meditation for the day, less time is required.
Joy Matteson
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ecclesiology, jesus
My excellent Lenten devotional book for 2014. Filled with gorgeous artistry describing the life of Christ, every day in the season of Lent is reflected upon by some truly great spiritual writers of our time.
Jamie Howison
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Daily readings for the season of Lent by an array of fine writers... I particularly liked the weeks by Lauren Winner, James Schaap, and Kathleen Norris. Actually Schaap turned out to be my unexpected favourite of the bunch.

A really, really good practice for Lent!
Paul
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lent features long hair. / Easter eggs everywhere. / Negative no-photos. / Tent of typos.
Rev. Deb
May 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful art combined with thoughtful reflections on the Bible and lectionary for the Lenten season. This is one that I will return to.
Joseph Mole
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
A visually beautiful collection of writings and artwork to guide the reader through Lent and Easter.
David
Perfect devotional for the season of Lent and Easter. Let's just say it was so good I reread it from Easter to Pentecost.
Sue Whitt
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
excellent essays, prayers, and paintings
Jean
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful collection of prayers and meditations for Lent.
Michelle
Feb 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
Nice devotional for Lent, but I like Bread and Wine better.
Katy

• Calendar: Christ's Time for the Church
  • Bread and Wine: Readings for Lent and Easter
  • The Art of Storytelling: Easy Steps to Presenting an Unforgettable Story
  • Christmastide: Prayers for Advent Through Epiphany from The Divine Hours
  • None Like Him: 10 Ways God Is Different from Us (and Why That's a Good Thing)
  • The River
  • The Girl Beneath the Sea (Underwater Investigation Unit #1)
  • Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! The Story of Pop Music from Bill Haley to Beyoncé
  • The Simpsons: An Uncensored, Unauthorized History
  • Medallion Status: True Stories from Secret Rooms
  • Rethink Communication: A Playbook to Clarify and Communicate Everything in Your Church
  • Movies (And Other Things)
  • Inseparable: The Original Siamese Twins and Their Rendezvous with American History
  • The Jesus I Never Knew
  • The Executioner of St Paul's (Thomas Chaloner #12)
  • The Man Who Fell from the Sky (Wind River Reservation #19)

News & Interviews