Start by marking “Lovecraft's Monsters” as Want to Read:
Lovecraft's Monsters

Lovecraft's Monsters

This deliciously creepy and loving tribute to the master of modern horror features riveting illustrated stories of his wicked progeny.

In the century since the master of horror, H. P. Lovecraft, published his first story, the monstrosities that crawled out of his brain have become legend: the massive, tentacled Cthulhu, who lurks beneath the sea waiting for his moment to
Published April 15th 2014 by Tachyon Publications (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Lovecraft's Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lovecraft's Monsters

Start your review of Lovecraft's Monsters
Dan Schwent
Jan 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, lovecraftian
Lovecraft's Monsters is a short story anthology of tales featuring monsters created by H.P. Lovecraft.

First off, H.P. Lovecraft, along with Edgar Rice Burroughs and Arthur Conan Doyle, is a writer that I'm much more interested in the works they inspired rather than their own writings. I know it's akin to liking a remake better than the original but HPL's prose has always been hard to digest for me and his character read like they were written by someone who never leaves his house. However, his
Althea Ann
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
You can always count on Ellen Datlow to put together a good anthology! As with any collection, I personally like some stories more than others, but this is definitely recommended: not just for Lovecraft fans, but for any reader of horror and dark fantasy.

***** Only the End of the World Again by Neil Gaiman
A bad-ass werewolf visits Innsmouth, and gets mixed up in more than he bargained for. Reminded me a bit of 'The Wicker Man,' with extra paranormal elements. Humorous without being 'light,'
Marvin
Apr 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Collections of short fiction based on the Cthulhu Mythos never get old but they can be predictable. Editor Ellen Datlow attempts to spice up the idea by featuring stories based on the monsters of H. P. Lovecraft's weird and twisted mind. Even the ardent Lovecraft fan may go mad trying to place some of the creatures, so Datlow added a neat Monster Index to keep you up on the creepies you will meet. The fiction itself tends to be uneven but there are enough gems to keep you reading. Neil Gaiman's ...more
Jon Recluse
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, anthologies
This was an ARC from NetGalley.

This anthology is an excellent homage to the monsters of Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos. Solid stories by some of the best authors in the business, past and present, each with a striking illustration make this a must for any fan of the Mythos.
Randolph
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Above average anthology from the usually outstanding Datlow (the hardest working editor in horror). Avoids some traps by excluding some of the usual suspects you would expect in an anthology like this (I won't name them) and substituting others who I bet this was their first foray into Lovecraftiana. It mostly works. Some of the usuals are still here (Barron, Kiernan), but these are the ones that almost never deliver a substandard product.

There be monsters here. All these stories are themed
Shandra
Jan 24, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unable-to-finish, arc
This is an anthology with a great list of authors included. They've taken H.P. Lovecraft's stories and put their own spin on them. I got through a few of them, but they were mostly unable to hold my interest. It's not because they were written poorly, or boring in nature. I firmly believe this is a case in which many people will enjoy this book, but it was definitely not for me.

DNFed after skimming through many stories and not being gripped and sucked in.

I will say that the story about the
Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤
Anthologies can be a love/hate type of read.

Some tales suck you in....

while others leave you struggling just to get through.

This was the case with Lovecraft's Monsters. The premise is fabulous. Stories from wonderful modern day authors based on the monsters created by H.P. Lovecraft. Some held my interest, some did not.

I'll just chalk this one up to being "it's not you, it's me".

3 Ninja-Bunnehs-Saying-Eh

(Arc received in exchange for an honest review)
Bogdan
Some of the writers here are usual guests in this kind of Anthologies, the likes like Barron, Kieran, Langan, Rasnic Tem, Mamatas, Ligotti and maybe even Lansdale, so the Lovecraftian new legacy has, in theory at least, a strong presence here.

The stories:

1.Only the End of the World Again • (1994) • by Neil Gaiman **** 4 Stars, Knew from before.

2.Bulldozer • (2004) • Laird Barron ** 2 Stars, Very hard text to get into.

3. Red Goat Black Goat • (2010) • by Nadia Bulkin *****, 5 Stars, Never heard
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I loved the first five stories in this book, and the last few stories were also pretty good. This anthology is worth picking up just for the beginning and end, even if the middle wasn't the strongest.
Anniken Haga
I was kind of unsure about this book because I've read an anthology edited by Datlow before and wasn't all that impressed. I bought this on sale on audible, though, and so I was open.
After reading a couple of other reviews as well, I have to admit I'm pleasantly surprised.

Many of the stories had a Lovecraftian feel to them - which is the point, I think - even if it didn't work so well for me. They were never really scary, though, mostly just weird, with a couple of good ones in-between.

Review
Princessjay
A very serviceable collection. Doesn't cleave as closely to Lovecraft's turgid prose as some I have read, which is a PLUS. Recommended.

(view spoiler)
Michael Mills
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
It's been a week since I finished this collection and already I can't remember much about it. Are the stories bad? No, well not actively so, but they're certainly pretty bland. It doesn't help that so many of them draw on the same parts of Lovecraft's work (Innsmouth, Innsmouth, more and more Innsmouth).

description

There's not even one tentpole piece to hold up the rest. Neil Giaman's inclusion is a selling point, but it's fair to say it's not one of his more notable works. I guess that leaves Kim Newman
Eric Mesa
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
As usual for an anthology I will post my status updates per story. Before I get to that, I wanted to note that this is the first time I've read anything Lovecraftian. (There were Eldritch horrors in the first couple Discworld books, but I had no idea what that was at the time) I think these authors did a great job creating stories based on or inspired by his creatures. If, like me, you're a Lovecraft neophyte, be sure to read the introduction as it helps explain some of the concepts. And now the ...more
Joel Neff
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Only the End of the World Again by Neil Gaiman
— As much of a Neil fan as I am, these story doesn’t do a lot for me. It’s clever and well-written, but just…not what I usually like. I’m afraid that’s going to be true for the entire book… 3/5

Bulldozer by Laird Barron
— This is more like it. A Pinkerton agent heads west on the trail of a man who has become something more, or maybe something less than human. All the tropes of a good Oater with all the unspeakable horror of the nameless elder ones. 4/5
Eamonn Murphy
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
‘Lovecraft‘s Monsters’ is a big anthology and this much gloom is probably best taken in small doses unless you‘re from Innsmouth. The very famous Neil Gaiman opens the billing but I’m heading up the review with ‘Remnants’, a short story by Fred Chappell. Fred Chappell! I mean no disrespect to the other great talents on display here but for me, a Fred Chappell story is a thing of glory. He writes beautifully, perhaps even more beautifully than Peter S. Beagle. He is a poet and has a poet’s ear ...more
Rachelle DeMunck
I am conflicted. A very uneven collection. Out of the entire collection, there were only really about two or three stories that I truly enjoyed. The rest were simply mediocre.
Anne
As with all anthologies, some of the stories are good, and some of them are godawful. This anthology had fewer gems than usual, though, hence the three-star rating. This anthology contains:

Only the End of the World Again - Neil Gaiman - This was one of the better stories. Werewolf/Innsmouth mythos. 4 stars.

Bulldozer - Laird Barron - This was very good. I don't know the "origin" story from Lovecraft, but this was gritty and scary and I really liked it. 4.5 stars.

Red Goat Black Goat - Nadia Bulkin
Amy Mills
Okay, this turned out better than I thought it was going to after the first few stories. I recommend it for these specific stories: The Same Deep Waters as You (Brian Hodge), Remnants (Fred Chappell), I've Come to Talk with You Again (Karl Edward Wagner), The Bleeding Shadow (Joe R. Lansdale), and Children of the Fang (John Langan). Most of the rest were pretty "meh" for me, except the Laird Barron, which I would recommend avoiding (read the "spoiler" on that one if you're unsure; if it appeals ...more
Shannon Flowers
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
'I encountered the writings of H.P. Lovecraft when I was right on the line between childhood and young adolescence, at a time when I knew I should at least pretend that I wasn’t scared of the dark and things that go bump in the night but, if I was being totally honest about it, really I still was. The first story I read was “The Shadow Over Innsmouth” and the impact it had on me was amplified by the fact that almost immediately after reading it I was more or less obligated to go swimming in very ...more
Baal Of
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Damn, I liked this book. A collection of stories based in the Lovecraft universe by a bunch of good authors, most of whom are better writers. Yes, please. For me, this collection contained a high ratio of great stories, with only a few that I thought were merely ok. The Lansdale story was probably my favorite, because it captured the inevitable failure to be able to hold back the madness that is characteristic of many of Lovecraft's stories. This story also appealed to me because of the use of ...more
M. Dixon
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
There are some definite gems in this book.
"Bulldozer" by Laird Barron -- I've read this story a number of times in different collections. I never get tired of it.
"The Same Deep Waters as You" by Brian Hodge -- What a great idea and well played. What happens when a TV show animal empath meets up with some Deep Ones.
"The Dappled Thing" by William Browning Spencer -- A fun Steampunk adventure story.
"Black is the Pit, From Pole to Pole" by Howard Waldrop and Steven Utley -- I loved their take on
Tom Reed
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
ok. obviously - i have not yet read this. but (for now) it gets 5 stars simply because ellen datlow. more to come once i buy. oh - and believe you me - i will buy!

*update* have bought, as required. as expected, sheer excellence. whilst i have read some of the stories within previously, they are superior stories, as are the ones i had not read before. every single piece in the book was wonderful, as were the introduction illustrations to each piece. genius. it remains, of course, 5 stars, only
 Nyarlathotep Twelfth Month The Haunted Reading Room
Anthologist Ellen Datlow brings us a volume which quite literally transcends dimensions,as author's new to Lovecraftian dynamics explore his monster mythos, with extraordinary and delectable and terrifying results.
Johann Thorsson
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great selection of short stories for lovers of Lovecraft specifically, or horror in general.

There's a story in thereby Brian Hodge, called The Same Deep Waters as You and it is hands down the best horror story I've read in years.

Recommended.
Gaiman, once again, shows that he can really write creepy; crossroads deals get even creepier, and oh god, we did what with the folks from Innsmouth? We're gonna pay for that.

Definitely easier on the eyes than actual Lovecraft.
Whitney
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ellen Datlow does it again. The quality of the stories is a little uneven, but none of them are badly written.
Lamski Kikita
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you love Lovecraft, read this and thank me later.
Margaryta
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, arc
Firstly, I would like to thank Tachyon Publications for providing me with an advanced reader’s copy of the novel. Sadly my verdict on this book is not a good one: it was not my cup of tea, nor my cup of coffee.

The time it takes me to finish a book is usually an indicator of whether I’m engaged in the writing and interested in the world/characters or not. It took over a month to finish this book and every time I would have to tell myself to sit down and keep reading in order to get through it
Vart
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: Review copy purchased online

Ellen Datlow writes in the introduction of this, one of her most excellent anthologies to date (although to be fair, there is no such thing in my mind as an Ellen Datlow anthology that isn’t in some way excellent, so there you go), she states that she tried to put together an anthology that isn’t just full of the “usual suspects” and doesn’t have the same reprints or other stories that people will have seen before numerous times. And boy does she ever
Jason Stenger
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great collection of stories based on the Cthulhu mythos. Some really great stories throughout with only a couple I didn't thoroughly enjoy and a solid delivery.

A couple stories I enjoyed less than the others here were "Black is the Pit From Pole to Pole" by Howard Waldrop and Steven Utley and "Remnants" by Fred Chappell.
"Black is the Pit From Pole to Pole" by Howard Waldrop and Steven Utley was a little too much overall. I love the concept, but the story felt at turns rushed and compressed and
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Black Wings: Tales of Lovecraftian Horror
  • The Book of Cthulhu (The Book of Cthulhu, #1)
  • DCeased
  • House of X / Powers of X
  • Carter & Lovecraft (Carter & Lovecraft, #1)
  • Frozen Hell
  • Bleeding Shadows
  • A Mountain Walked: Great Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos
  • The Wide, Carnivorous Sky and Other Monstrous Geographies
  • Full Throttle
  • Cthulhusattva: Tales of the Black Gnosis
  • Last Days
  • Video Night
  • Andrea Vernon and the Superhero-Industrial Complex (Andrea Vernon, #2)
  • Necroscope IV: Deadspeak (Necroscope, #4)
  • Necroscope III: The Source (Necroscope, #3)
  • The Gods of HP Lovecraft
  • Sefira and Other Betrayals
Ellen Datlow has been an award-winning editor of short science fiction, fantasy, and horror for over twentyfive years.

She is editor of the Best Horror of the Year and has edited or co-edited a large number of award-winning original anthologies. Her most recent are Supernatural Noir, Naked City, Blood and Other Cravings, The Beastly Bride, Teeth, Trolls Eye View, and After (the last three with
“Deduction was for the highbrows in top hats and great coats; I performed my detecting with a boot and a six-gun.” 2 likes
“We look about in puzzlement at our world, with a sense of unease and disquiet. We think of ourselves as scholars in arcane liturgies, single men trapped in worlds beyond our devising. The truth is far simpler: there are things in the darkness beneath us that wish us harm.” His” 1 likes