Start by marking “Paper Hearts” as Want to Read:
Paper Hearts

Paper Hearts

A pushy counselor, school bullies, a neglectful mother, and a dead father have ruined seventeen-year-old high school senior Michelle Pearce’s perspective on life. A social reject living in self-imposed exile, Michelle has little use for anything or anyone—until Nathaniel comes along. A high school dropout who works three jobs to care for his dying grandmother, he’s all but ...more
Published April 15th 2014 by Medallion Press (first published February 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Paper Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paper Hearts

Annie G
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
After reading all the other reviews on this book, I've decided to write one myself.
All the other reviewers seemed to have a hard time relating to the narrator, Michelle, because she was too brusque and angry for them. I feel like that was my favorite part about her. It was very refreshing to read from a narrator's point of view that didn't have it all together.I know that all of us readers aren't happy go lucky every second of everyday, and our book characters shouldn't have to be that way eith
Sherrie
3.5 stars. I was excited to win a copy of Paper Hearts through the LibraryThing Early Reviewers Program. Michelle Pearce is an angry teen who has built a wall around herself to insulate her from life's pain. She has a rocky relationship with her mostly absent mother and no friends. While working part time at a convenience store Michelle meets Nathaniel who is her antithesis, positive, upbeat and kind to others although life hasn't dealt him an easy hand. When Nathaniel drops by to apply for a jo ...more
Jamie Lynn Bowker
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
It started out great! I couldn't put it down...

But all of a sudden I was rereading words I already read a few chapters back?!?! Irritating! Ruined a good book!
Taylor Kelley
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book proves that there is good and bad in the world and crap happens....that being said there is also good and this book shows the contrast very well
Emily♥
Nov 26, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 stars!

I started out hating this book because of Michelle. I couldn’t fall in love with the story because she was there being a selfish, rude, immature, bitch.

And there is a story to love here. Paper Hearts deals with many issues that are tough to swallow. From bullying to rape, Michelle goes through some shit. And she deals with it all in the wrong way.

She puts this wall of bullshit up. A wall built on ignoring all authority figures. Mouthing off to people who are only trying to help her. Sh
OpenBookSociety.com
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: andra

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Andra

Spoilers

Whew….Emotional read. What I liked and also disliked is the hard life Michelle had. As a parent myself, I can’t believe a parent would let their child be bullied as Michelle was. I felt horrified that Michelle’s mother did not stand up for Michelle nor believe Michelle when as a young girl (age 6), she told her mother what the boyfriend did to her. But that is just me. As well, I do realize in life that not ever
Andrea
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm finding it very hard to start this review. Not because I don't know what to say, but because I have so much to say I don't know where to start. Michelle hasn't exactly had an easy time growing up. Her father was an alcoholic, parents divorced, and her family had been toeing the line of poverty until her grandparents died and left them some money and their house. She is bullied at school, where she does not have any friends and pushes those away who try to help.

I found it hard to connect with
Michael
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
I found the first couple of pages difficult to read and thought I was in for a hard time but as soon as I realised that I was hearing the voice of a alienated, disillusioned and angry young woman I understood it completely.

SR captures Michelle's decision to withdraw from society through the language which she uses both to herself and in her conversations with others. The short sentences, the terse replies fit exactly with the thoughts of her character. But it's experience that has mad Michelle h
Star
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Michelle Pearce doesn’t have time for people because she has learned, time and time again, they aren’t worth her time or effort. Until Nathaniel. Michelle meets Nathaniel at her job when he comes in looking for the owner. When Michelle finally lets Nathaniel in, they become the best of friends – more alike than either realize at first. When Michelle’s life crumbles around her, Nathaniel is there to try to show her there is some good in the world.

PAPER HEARTS is not a book for the faint of heart.
Jess (The Cozy Reader) Kennedy
Mar 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book.

The summary had me sucked right in. Teen angst is a great thing and S.R. Savell writes it like a pro.

The characters are great. Michelle was a tad hard to like at first. She is rough around the edges. We learn that she is an unreliable narrator (hint, hint).

Nathaniel is amazing. I was expecting him to be supernatural or something because of his size and his presence. I almost wish some of the chapters were from his point of view. Michelle sums Nate up nicely: "You're l
Wall-to-wall books - wendy
I have to start with a disclaimer before I start ragging on this book - The copy I read was an uncorrected proof... Sooo hopefully it is going to be much better before the actual book is for sale.
I really wanted to like this book (and I did... like it) but it was so hard to read with so many errors. There were whole parts of the book that were repeated (I think they were meant to be taken out but weren't yet) and the timeline was screwed up due to leaving the double parts in. This just made it
Darci
Jul 21, 2014 rated it liked it
I was excited to receive this book after winning it on Goodreads. I enjoyed it and thought it was very well written. I found the character of Michelle realistic. She was snarky enough to grasp that she was kind of annoying to deal with, but I still liked her. I loved the Grandma and wish there was a few more interactions between her and Michelle. Nathaniel is a great guy and I liked the relationship between him and Michelle.
Brittany
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
The writing of this book is quite spectacular. What kept it from a five is that the pacing dragged in a few spots and it did seem a bit surreal and overly dramatic at times.

However, I adore Nathaniel. He's so utterly selfless and pure of heart. He holds the broken pieces of his life and love together with such a patient tone.

The ugly reality of this story is also what makes it endearing. Such a unique book.
Kylie
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Glad I gave this book a chance. It was a random that I chose because of the cover and the name sounded interesting. Didn't like Michelle to start with but I'm pretty sure I wasn't meant to. By the end she had me, a great book with a couple of characters who are hard not to love.
Kim Piddington
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
I struggled from page one to understand, and like, the caustic narrator. Got a jolt in Chapter 13.However, the author has a serious command of language and the narrator gets a puppy in the end.
Jenny
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Awesome read!!! I couldn't put it down. She is so strong with so much emotion and then Nathaniel comes along and sews her life back together in the sweetest way.
Kara
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Kate
Jan 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
3.5 stars!
Dayna
Apr 01, 2014 rated it liked it
I feel that this book would be great for teenagers. I did enjoy reading it, but not my type of book and I am sure if I were much younger I would of really loved it. Great for high school readers.
Mason
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
To state the obvious, this book was so sad.
If anyone is experiencing sexual abuse or any form of abuse, I hope they find the courage to seek help.
Ashley
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So beautiful. Just pick this up and enjoy it.
Kim Heimbuch
Nov 01, 2017
Jul 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Questions, concerns, and complaints 1 10 Apr 04, 2014 01:23PM

• Running on Empty (Running On Empty, #1)
  • Untitled
  • Nebula (The Nebula Trilogy, Book 1)
  • Fifteen Days Without a Head
  • The Fashion Book
  • The Ex Lottery
  • The Summer of Me and You
  • The Dare
  • Tempus (The GenEx Saga, #1)