Start by marking “1939: The Making of Six Great Films from Hollywood�s Greatest Year” as Want to Read:
1939: The Making of Six Great Films from Hollywood�s Greatest Year

1939: The Making of Six Great Films from Hollywood�s Greatest Year

A celebration of cinema from the year 1939—a year film critics and historians are virtually unanimous in considering the greatest in the history of motion pictures—this work is the perfect combination of film history, artistic appreciation, historical insight, and gossip. Profiling of six of the greatest films of the year—Gone with the Wind, Stagecoach, Mr. Smith Goes to W ...more
Published March 2nd 2014 by Linden Publishing (first published December 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about 1939, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1939

Madelyn Flammia
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a must-read for any classic movie fan. I thought I already knew a lot about some of these films, but I learned much more from this book. I especially enjoyed the emphasis on the literary works on which these films were based.
Vivian
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Lots of read-out-loud stuff to share with anyone who happens to walk through the room. Right from the "Author's Note" at the book's beginning I was hooked. "When I was twelve years old, going to the movies was a Saturday afternoon ritual that my friends and I observed with an almost religious fervor."

He not only tells about the making of the films but the making of the books as well. Wow -- special features in a book! I learned about the authors, the book's (or story's) journey to publication, t
Shelley
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
2014 marked the 75th anniversary of 6 of the best movies produced in Hollywood: Gone with the Wind, Stagecoach, Mr Smith Goes to Washington, Hound of the Baskervilles, Huck Finn and The Wizard of Oz. This gives a brief biography of each film, from the writing of the original stories and novels that inspired each to the making of the film and what the stars went on to do after. One actor was in three of those! Not all the information was new, and I'm only really familiar with half of them, but it ...more
Dr Bill
Oct 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Introduction is weak. The back stories of the great films does deliver. It moves fast. Typefont makes one feel like they are reading a newspaper and hence lack the credibility feel of a serious book about this most amazing year in Hollywood cinema history.
Shirley Jones
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fun look at behind the scenes making of 6 great films. 1939 was an exceptional year for films. If anything, the author could have featured more films from that year.
Tricia
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, movies
very cool, I had no idea about some of the history of these movies and some are my all-time faves!
Jill
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I would love to read another book just like this - either about other films out this year (this only features 4 of the 10 films nominated for Best Picture) or about films for any other year.
Carolyn