Start by marking “Conversational Intelligence: How Great Leaders Build Trust & Get Extraordinary Results” as Want to Read:

The key to success in life and business is to become a master at Conversational Intelligence. It’s not about how smart you are, but how open you are to learn new and effective powerful conversational rituals that prime the brain for trust, partnership, and mutual success. Conversational Intelligence translates the wealth of new insights coming out of neuroscience from acro ...more
Published October 1st 2013 by Bibliomotion

To ask other readers questions about Conversational Intelligence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conversational Intelligence

Start your review of Conversational Intelligence: How Great Leaders Build Trust & Get Extraordinary Results
Kathy Sullivan
Oct 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
The main message of this book is, "Please hire me to fix your Fortune 500 company."
Sean Post
May 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Meh. The neuroscience underneath conversations may be an intriguing "what" but it is not a particularly compelling why. Don't get me wrong, its important to understand how the amygdala is activated in difficult conversations and how that impacts an interaction... but is that all we are as people? Just a bag of chemicals with electric impulses firing and giving instructions? Or are there things that influence our human experience beyond just the brain?

My view of reality is that we are more than
Tal Shnall
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Conversational Intelligence is a life changer. I highly recommend the book for all leaders no matter where you are in your organization. The book can help leaders become better leaders by learning more about communication and bringing people with you to create a better a circle of trust through meaningful relationships. The book should be part of every company's culture to help leaders elevate their conversations with the people they lead. The book has great ideas that can help people move from ...more
Shiau Long
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great read. It changed my way of thinking when it comes to people in general. I always wondered why with certain people I get into an endless cycle of talking. I tell them what I think, they tell me what they think, but we never get anywhere. We know what the other person says and we are explaining what we meant again because we don't think the other person has a clue. This book helps move the infinite conversations over difficult subjects to an easier conversation reaching a place of resolution ...more
Triciafelice
Jan 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting elements but not enough on the neuroscience, and fairly repetitive.
Tricia Friedman
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Glaser's guide to building up C-IQ is relevant to all types of relationships. The text is full of examples, and new approaches to unpacking conversational structures. The book could be used for a C-IQ audit for anyone in a leadership position. For those working in education, the book is a great working model for dealing with the incessant changes in policy, curriculum, tech-integration, staffing and more.
Yannick
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Core ideas are good and important . The book could have been called "inclusive leadership" though. I felt that really a lot of text passages were repetitive and this is mostly why I cannot give more than 2 stars. It bored me sometimes so so much although I definitely consider the main framework of 3 levels of conversations as helpful.
Patti Sanders
Oct 01, 2020 rated it liked it
This book is very repetitive. Early in the book are some useful points, but by the end I wanted to fast forward through the similar stories that are presented over and over.
Elena
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
The book is repetitive and low-value; it should have been an article or a blog piece. With suggestions such as welcoming more people to the inner circle and trying to trust others more, the title of the book should have been 'A guide to driving your career into the wall'. The author tries to sound 'scientific' by connecting her writing to neuroscience, and while some points are valid, this book lacks depth, critical thinking and even proper referencing of previous studies.
Emily Anderle
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book gave practical ways to transform an organization's culture to one of trust, joy, and excellence. It shows you how to use conversation to bring out people's best traits and how to co-create rather than tell-sell-yell.
Sonia
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a good book for the business shelf, and can help in other areas of life, of course.
David Niose
Oct 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I picked this up because it was listed as "recommended reading" by Stephanie Chung, president of Jetsuite, Inc., in a business publication. It looked interesting, and she plugged it as an invaluable book that she re-reads on a regular basis. I figured I'd check it out.

The insights in the book might be applicable to any area of human interaction, but it is geared primarily to a business/corporate environment. While it definitely contains some useful information, I found the book to be not nearly
Jay
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, audiobook
This really didn’t feel right as a book. It felt as if the author wanted to write a typical business communications book, similar to many that have already been written, but wanted to differentiate this book from the crowd. The choice was to add content that related in scientific terms what might be happening in your head and body when you are happy or when you make decisions. So you learn some science. But knowing this doesn’t really help you communicate, or at least if it does it isn’t explain ...more
Adam
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Helpful, but poorly executed. It wasn't quite a book on conversation skills, nor trust, nor emotional intelligence, nor brain chemistry; but it touched on each of those at different times as if that's all there is to conversational intelligence. So even though it's obvious Glaser knows her stuff, she just didn't present it the most convincingly. it was like she thought she continually had to convince us there was brain chemistry going on and that's why we need to believe her, but she never reall ...more
Mike
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
Conversational Intelligence is an interesting book on how conversation impacts connection and various aspects of life. The book offers a range of practical tools and fascinating ways of viewing the action of conversation. The author uses science along with practicality to present a case for conversational intelligence and it's importance to life, business, and relationships. The content in this book was good but the author's egocentric view of herself is distracting. The epilogue is completely p ...more
Steven
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am a very sociable person who has a knack for interpersonal communication. That being said, for most of my life I have followed my inner intuition when it comes to weaving through the feelings of others.

It was not until I read this book (presently) that I gained a valuable insight on a personal flaw in my interpersonal communication. It turned out to be so very simple: "Letting people know where they stand". I never really outright did this with the people I have known (and still know). I have
Kyren
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is for anyone who seeks to better understand the way conversation and human interactions are mediated by neurobiology. If you ever feel like you can't or don't understand why someone just "seems" trustworthy or untrustworthy, or why the intent behind our words doesn't always align with our words' impact on others (and what we can do to better align the two!), this book is an excellent start. (Note: this review is only a Level 1 or 2 'conversation'. I'd be happy to engage in a Level 3 c ...more
Thibault Martin-Lagardette
This was quite a difficult read. The content is mostly good, although not always.
But ugh, the way it is presented is over-the-top, repetitive, and of very low value. There are a lot of useless graphs, and a lot of paragraphs/sections bring little to no value to the conversation.
It is still a 3/5 rather than a 2/5 because when the content is interesting, it really is.
But this book could have been about 60% shorter with the same — if not better — value.
It feels like the author is dragging, spreadi
Emily Horvath
Oct 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
This self promotion book was exhausting. This was an assigned read for my doctorate program and having an strong interest in communication I was excited to learn more and was left disappointed. The majority of the book is Glaser repeating self named phenomena on repeat. The reader keeps waiting for specific tips on how to achieve CI but instead she keeps telling stories about how she changed companies trajectory. I would never have finished it if it hadn't been assigned reading. If anything this ...more
Ioana
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting read that formalizes the theory behind how conversations evolve and the position of the different speakers during a conversation. For example, it is insightful to see how certain leaders encourage more collaboration while others strongly influence the opinion of the other participants. It even made me question some interactions I have been faced with and whether the approach I have chosen was best suited for the given situation!
Sera
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Sera by: Work
Shelves: non-fiction, own
Decent book about how to engage in transformational conversations with your employees. Transformational is one the most recent buzz words used in corporate America. It, like most others, will be replaced by something else soon.

The problem with this book is that it is highly repetitive. The points could have been made in a journal article and been just as effective.

Skip it and read the highlights on-line.
Suzanne
Dec 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Not a favorite. The problem is that there is not enough application and case studies in the book. The examples given and potential application from this book would work better for an internal company situations. How her study applies to external interactions is difficult to discern. Additionally, I listened to this book on Audible and found it difficult to follow because so much of the book is lists and repetitive phrases.
Peter Walker
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Transformational!

As a scientist I have always wanted to know and understand the architecture of a thing- what is it at its core. I have desired to be be a better leader and communicator. Judith has masterfully provided me with architectural understanding of conversations and with it, has empowered me to be a better leader. Brilliant!
Lindsay L
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it
The science portions of this book that deal with how the brain works were interesting and insightful, but WOW - the rest was repetitive, boring and trite. With about 12 examples of how some CEO fixed everything using Glazer’s methods and not once dealing with important things like how this might be used in an email. Bored to tears.
Toni
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Selected this book as a women’s leadership group book club selection. Easy, quick read that is not redundant like some other professional books. Great mix of theory and applications. Some of the stories of all the big major companies she works for is too much but the content is good in the stories it just comes off a little “braggy” at times.
Vikrama Dhiman
Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

I loved this book.
Having read a couple of books on conversations, I was skeptical if this one would have something new. While this is a book about conversations, it is not about just talking - it is also about team, growth mindset, self expectation setting and working with people. I highly recommend this for all professionals.
Stephen
Nov 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
READ NOV 2020

This was an interesting read. Felt like it was more geared to trust than communication. The Conversational Dashboard was interesting, although, not sure positioning Level III as the "ideal" style is always best.

Lots of nuggets that can help leaders interested in building better rapport, engagement, and interaction with others.
Melissa
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it
I listened as an audio book from the library and no PDFs were provided. The concepts were sound but for this one I highly recommend getting the book so all the charts and information are available for referencing.
Jacob Coldwell
A few good points

Good start to a conversation about a unique approach to listening and motivating others. More story based but lacking depth around the principles and ideas discussed.
Kathryn Alexander
A Wonderful Exploration of Science & Conversation

I enjoyed her enthusiasm and came away convinced that our brain changes with our emotions. I wish she had shared more of the science rather than asking us to take it on faith.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Executive Presence: What Nobody Ever Tells You about Getting Ahead
  • Humble Inquiry: The Gentle Art of Asking Instead of Telling
  • The Oz Principle: Getting Results Through Individual and Organizational Accountability
  • The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More & Change the Way You Lead Forever
  • The Fearless Organization: Creating Psychological Safety in the Workplace for Learning, Innovation, and Growth
  • Setting Boundaries with Difficult People
  • Multipliers: How the Best Leaders Make Everyone Smarter
  • Reboot: Leadership and the Art of Growing Up
  • Positive Intelligence: Why Only 20% of Teams and Individuals Achieve Their True Potential and How You Can Achieve Yours
  • Good Boss, Bad Boss: How to Be the Best... and Learn from the Worst
  • The Passion Paradox: A Guide to Going All In, Finding Success, and Discovering the Benefits of an Unbalanced Life
  • Adversaries into Allies: Win People Over Without Manipulation or Coercion
  • The Psychology of Money
  • The Go-Giver Influencer: A Little Story About a Most Persuasive Idea
  • Canoeing the Mountains: Christian Leadership in Uncharted Territory
  • The Art of Woo: Using Strategic Persuasion to Sell Your Ideas
  • The Go-Giver Leader: A Little Story About What Matters Most in Business
  • Encouraging the Heart: A Leader's Guide to Rewarding and Recognizing Others
Judith E. Glaser is the CEO of Benchmark Communications and the chairman of The Creating WE Institute. She consults with CEOs and their teams on elevating levels of engagement, collaboration and innovation. Judith has served as an Adjunct Professor at Wharton and a visiting guest speaker at Harvard, Kellogg, Loyola, University of Chicago, NYU, IIT, University of Stellenbosch, Elisalat Academy, Tsi ...more

News & Interviews

“the quality of the conversation drives the nature of the impact. At the moment of contact, conversations have the power to transform our lives.” 4 likes
“Reframe: To put Conversational Intelligence to work, stop thinking of your job as managing resistance and instead accept resistance as a natural part of change. People need to challenge new ideas before they can accept them. For full ownership and accountability to take place, people need to be in the conversation about how to change rather than being asked to merely comply. When leaders reframe in this way, they see that conversations release new energy for change—which will propel their efforts forward faster.” 4 likes