Start by marking “Red Gone Bad” as Want to Read:

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A small collection of twisted fairy tales
ebook
Published November 30th 2012 by Smashwords Edition

To ask other readers questions about Red Gone Bad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Gone Bad

Accidental Leigh by Melanie  JamesNobody's Perfect by Kallypso MastersNobody's Hero by Kallypso MastersRussian Roulette by A.B. McKinleySands of Betrayal by A.B. McKinley
Indie Authors to Watch
103rd out of 3,664 books — 3,954 voters
Rhinoceros Dreams by Jessica KnaussLove, Life and Everything Else by Xunaira J.Spilt Milk by D.K. CassidyFound Money by Peter Watson JenkinsKarmic Krackers by Dab10
Short Stories Collection - Single Author
11th out of 141 books — 187 voters

More lists with this book...

Sara
I adore fairytales, especially those retold. It's always interesting to see the different takes on these classic stories. One of my favorites is Rose and the Beast by Francesca Lia Block, which had a much darker side. And so I was pleasantly surprised by the darkness of these fairytales. Often we think of Red Riding Hood, Snow White, Cinderella and others as victims. However, Lucy Pireel takes these characters and transforms them into the bad guys. Who can hate the Big Bad Wolf when Red is on h ...more
Steph Bennion
This is a rather mixed take on traditional fairy tales. The first sees Red seek a slice of the action after putting up with the boasts of her friends about their new men. The modern setting works well and I rather warmed to Red, which made the conclusion quite an uncomfortable read. The second story about a dark-hearted Cinderella was my favourite; although twisted, the ending wrapped up the moral message well. The Snow White tale with its not-so-subtle drug references was just odd. The final st ...more
Lena Seder
Lucy Pireel’s collection of short stories “Red Gone Bad,” is an interesting read! She turned common fairytales of Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, Snow White and Rumpelstiltskin into dark, twisted tales. It was unusual yet enjoyable! There were indeed surprises where these familiar sweet characters turned out to be tougher, spunkier, and even naughtier than what we grew up with.

I recommend “Red Gone Bad”; you will have your mind blown and your perspective skewed. It is a great, entertaining collect
Maria
This is a quick and fun read. Grown-up versions of the fairy tales we all know and love. They don't have happy endings and they are full of characters who are seeking revenge. There are lots of dark and gruesome twists. You'll never look at Cinderella, Snow White, or Red Riding Hood in the same light again after reading these stories! Rumpelstiltskin also makes an appearance. I enjoyed all the tales, especially the last one, the flash fiction piece about Red Riding Hood.
Definitely worth a read.
Angus
By Lucy Pireel

This is a fun version of ‘Red Riding Hood’ for the adult crowd. She’s the apple of her father’s overprotective eye and the object of pity to her two best friends who presume she will live out her life as a spinster. Crafty, wily, brimming with secret desires…Red is not what anyone in this story thinks she is except maybe the ‘Wolf’.

I don’t want to spoil this excellently written and professionally edited work of fiction for you. Rest assured I liked it enough to give it
Crystal's Many Reviewers
Reading Lucy’s version of these stories, definitely gave a new twist on things. I really enjoyed the different things that she thought of to add make these fairy tales her own. These stories still had the “basic” parts of the original fairy tales, yet they are twisted in such a way that it makes you wonder!

Even though these stories are short, I really did enjoy the length of them. The stories were the right length to keep you interested, yet not too long that you would get lost in the details.
Christoph Fischer
"Red Gone Bad" by Lucy Pireel is a great selection of short fairy tale stories, some modernised or updated, others twisted and altered in original ways. With these changes the book makes for thought-provoking and also very entertaining reading.
My favourite is probably the ending in Cinderella. Lucy's characters are more believable without straying too far from fantasy and fairy tale territory. There may be mobile phones in Little Red Riding Hood but there is also the wolf from the original.
Cleve
Jo Robinson
This collection of short stories surprised me all the way. Lucy Pireel has taken traditional fairy tales and made them her own with dark, tragic, and sometimes hilarious twists. Absolutely absorbing - I loved every single tale. I don't want to give away any of these clever plots, so I'll just say that I recommend this book to anyone, regardless of your preferred reading genre. This author is not only clearly very clever, but has a unique and enjoyable way of sharing her tales.
Eleri
Not my sort of thing at all I'm afraid. Didn't like the writing style or content at all. Had thought it might be interesting but just didn't like it. Sorry
Janie
Janie marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Phil
Phil marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Nirmal
Nirmal marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Attia
Attia marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Scholar
Scholar marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Jill
Jill added it
Jan 25, 2015
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Jenseny Christensen
Jenseny Christensen marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Skyler
Skyler marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Rie
Rie marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
SUSAN
SUSAN marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Elena
Elena marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Stephanie Lingenfelter
Stephanie Lingenfelter marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Indie Book Club: Fairytale re-telling January 2014: Red Gone Bad 13 13 Jan 31, 2014 08:54AM
  • The Light Beyond the Storm Chronicles
  • Dragon Blade (War of the Blades, #2)
  • Beyond the Veil
  • The Five Elements (The Alchemancer #1)
  • High Moor
  • The Aetherfae  (Weald Fae Journals #3)
  • Switch! The Lost Kingdoms of Karibu
  • Remedy Maker
  • The Gates of Hell (Heroes in Hell, #2)
  • Thread Slivers (Golden Threads Trilogy, #1)
  • The Witch Sea
  • The Daughter of Ares Chronicles:  The Complete Trilogy
  • The IX
  • Wild Hearted
  • Spectacular Tales
  • Waffles and Pancakes
  • Critical Failures
  • Ford At Valverde
Lucy is an avid reader and writer. She doesn't limit herself to any one genre but tries to read them all. "For one might be surprised if one tries something new" is one of her philosophies.
When she's not reading or writing, you can find her outside on a long walk, or twisted into a pretzel in some yoga pose.
She loves people and interacting with readers and other writers and can be found on Google+
More about Lucy Pireel...
Bound A Menu of Death Heaven's Closed A Menu of Death A World of Romance (ASMSG Collections #3)