Start by marking “The Ghost at Dawn's House (The Baby-Sitters Club, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Ghost at Dawn's House (The Baby-Sitters Club, #9)

The Ghost at Dawn's House

(The Baby-Sitters Club #9)

Dawn has always thought there was a secret passage hidden in her house. But she never thought there was a ghost... until now. All kinds of creepy things go on whenever Dawn's at home. There are even spooky noises behind her bedroom wall!

Dawn is sure there's a ghost in her house. And so are the other Baby-sitters. But they're so busy with their baby-sitting jobs that they h
Kindle Edition
Published December 1st 2012 by Scholastic Inc. (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Ghost at Dawn's House, please sign up.
Vy you can't read it on goodreads-this is just a book review website-you need to buy it online or in stores :)
Vy because although she likes Mary Anne's dad, they are not official yet so it's kind of like dating a bunch of people to see who you match with best :)…morebecause although she likes Mary Anne's dad, they are not official yet so it's kind of like dating a bunch of people to see who you match with best :) just b/c she liked Richard back in high school, doesn't mean they are compatible now. (less)

Erin
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
I swear Dawn gets some really interesting storylines. In this ninth book in the series, Dawn, her brother Jeff, and all the BSC are intrigued by Dawn's old New England farmhouse. Obviously as an adult, I am not quite as spooked out as I probably was at 10 years old, but it was still a good story. Unfortunately, Dawn's Mom and Mary Anne's Dad aren't dating right now. But there is this hilarious chapter with the Trip-Man, Sharon's latest date. It is also in this book that the BSC gets two more cha ...more
Ciara
Jan 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was one of my faves when i was a kid. i was so jealous of people who lived in new england because their houses were wicked old & maybe had secret passages! then i moved to new england (when i was 22) &...yeah, a lot of the houses are pre-fab 60s era suburban knock-offs completely devoid of secret passages. bummer.

i also loved this book because it was so atmospheric, with all the storms & dawn constantly reading ghost stories & scaring the crap out of herself. when i was a ki
✨Jordan✨
Dawn finds a mysterious tunnel leading from her room to her families barn. It’s all fun and games until she starts hearing Moaning and strange noises at night though. Could there really be a ghost haunting her house!?! With summer almost over all the girls are enjoying babysitting and time off of school, can they solve the mystery at dawns house though?
Reese
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty good book. I like how the secret passage starts in the barn and ends right in Dawns room. Dawn gets really scared when she finds out that different things are going in and out of the passage but what she doesn't know is that it's just Nicky Pike. Nicky found the passage before Dawn and he was using it as a hiding place. This is a really mysterious book.
Robyn Jefferson
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, nostalgia
this book was fckin lit and in retrospect all the babysitters were lesbians
Scott
Aug 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm Allowed to Vote

Here's the thing about the Babysitters Club series: It's super down to earth. Despite toying with ridiculous implausibilities like a serial killer stalking the girls, an older high school lifeguard being attracted to 13-year-old Stacey, or anybody being friends with Mary Anne, the plot always comes back around to a reasonable explanation for the perceived phenomena. In the above cases, the explanations are respectively: over-imaginative young people watching the fear-mongeri
Robin
Man, what a disappointing re-read this was! The Ghost at Dawn's House was my favorite BSC book when I was a kid. This time around I was like, "whuuuuut?"

For one thing, the cover still irritates the shit out of me. It always has. The staircase goes up instead of down. The lights are on behind Dawn and Jeff, even though they discovered the hidden passage during a power outage. It's sparkling clean, instead of being all musty and dusty and creepy. There's a friggin' eighties-looking safety baniste
Shira
dawn's house is really old and she enjoys reading ghost stories, so naturally the house must have a haunted secret passage in it, right? meanwhile nicky pike doesn't fit in in his family (too girly for boys' town, too much of a boy for girls' town) and keeps disappearing to somewhere within a 2 block radius of his house, the rule instated by the pike parents. when dawn actually finds a secret passage from her barn to her house, she discovers discarded items in it like a piece of a sugar cone (an ...more
Linda Klinedinst
The Ghost at Dawn's House - Book #9 in The Baby-Sitter's Club Series by Ann M. Martin

This book is so funny - oh my gosh - what does not happen in this book is hilarious. This is one of my favorite books so far in this series.

I give this book 5/5 Stars.

I have Book #10 on Hold through the Library...Hopefully it will come in on Tuesday.

Happy Reading :)
Meg
Sep 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Felt nostalgic today so I whipped through an old BSC book from my collection of BSC books I got for Christmas in 1989! I discovered I had only actually read a handful of the books as a kid so I resolved to catch up and read the ones I had skipped now as an adult. I think I would have enjoyed them more if I read them as a kid.... Oh well.
Katie J Schwartz
This was one of my favorite Babysitters Club books when I was younger, so when I found it at Goodwill for 30 cents I was super excited. I remember reading these in 2nd grade and thinking that the girls seemed so old and sophisticated. Now I can really tell that they're only 13!
Rylee
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a very scary one, but I would definitely like to have a secret passage way in my bed room!
Sally
Apr 29, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bsc, childrens
AWESOME. Who didn't want a secret passageway in their house?! The only thing was, as an Australian, I had NO idea at seven or so what this underground railroad was meant to be.
Kara Rutledge
Oct 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A blast from the past. Reliving my childhood. Super mad that I sold all of my Babysitter Club & Sweet Valley Twin books.
Lisa
Mar 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My all time favourite. It has Dawn and a haunted secret passage. What else could it possibly need?
Laura Pacheco
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Karina Halle
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes! This one was one of my favs. Creeptastic!
Logan Hughes
Dawn chooses to fear ghosts.

Dawn actually finds the secret passage in her house she has been counting on for some reason. She quickly becomes convinced that it is haunted. She hears spooky noises coming from the passage at odd times, and she finds a collection of old-looking objects in the dirt, such as a buffalo nickel, an ice cream cone, and a beat-up old children's book that looks like it's 100 years old. (view spoiler)
Ashley
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bsc, own, reread, 2018
Normally, when my boyfriend finishes work two hours later than I do, I don't bother going home and instead spend that time playing Pokemon Go. I take down gyms, I spin Pokestops, I hang out at our local park for two hours until it's time to pick him up. However, now that I've made a triumphant return to Stoneybrook, as soon as I finished work I hurried home so I could devour another installment.

This one is tons of fun, I really like how the "mystery" pans out (although I don't like that it's al
Samantha
The thing about Dawn, is that she wasn't so horrible in her first BSC books. A living stereotype of California, sure, but aggressively annoying? Not quite yet. I actually LOVED this book as a kid, because I was so into ghost stories and anything to do with the paranormal. Which is pretty much exactly how I am now as an adult, except nobody can stop me from staying up late and terrorizing myself like a total goon.

Anyway! The plot of this book is pretty convoluted, as they all are. Dawn is searchi
Priyadarshni Palanikumar
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: light
I've been reading the Baby-Sitters Club since forever, and I love these books! If you have a lame teenage girl who refuses to do anything other than dopey movies, give her these to start a useful habit with. The whole concept of the Club induces very nice thoughts in the young mindset. Sorry that I sound like an old woman right now.

As for this particular book, the four stars are because of the incomplete feeling I got at its end. You'll know why when you read it. The Club gets into the mystery
Alex
I am still, to this day, immensely jealous of Dawn's secret passage. I remember my best friend Rachel and I tapping on walls in our houses trying to find a passage just like this, and being so disappointed when our parents told us that our houses were much too new to have anything like that.

Re-reading this as an adult, however, all I could think about was how unsafe this passage was. Sharon claims she can't figure out how to lock it but isn't worried about it because it's a secret, yet in ten b
lisa
Dawn finds her infamous secret passage in this book, and discovers the legend of Jared Mullray. She also forms an odd bond with Nicky Pike, who uses her secret passage to escape from the triplets teasing, although that seems to be contained to this book only. This was one of the very first books I read (back when I still liked Dawn) and I read it while I was eating cheese popcorn, so my copy had cheese colored fingerprints on some of the pages.

Things I remember from reading this as a kid:
I was d
Haley
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been re-reading some of the BSC books because I discovered the brilliant, occasionally inappropriate, Baby-Sitters Club Club podcast.

I always liked this book. Dawn isn't my favorite baby-sitter, but she and I do share an affinity for ghost stories. This BSC book has plenty of ghost story elements: an old house, a secret passage, a bit of folklore, an explanation for some of the ghostly occurrences. A quick, fun, nostalgic read.
Elaine Mullane
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used to love the Babysitter's Club! My friends and I used to swap them between us when I was in primary school. They were so popular at the time, there was a waiting list at the library if you wanted to read them in chronological order! I used to be allowed to buy one book a week on a Friday when I was younger; this was usually an Enid Blyton, Roald Dahl, Point Horror or one of these! I would love to revisit them at some stage, just for nostalgia's sake!
Nick
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: laura
My wife really liked these as a kid, so I figured I'd grab one to read to my daughter.

I was disappointed . . . just disappointed all the way around. I thought it was boring. Not mature enough for girls who can handle it, but too mature for girls too young to understand what is going on.

Was it supposed to be scary? Exciting? What was the point here?

I may not be the intended audience, but I'm not sure these hold up anymore.
Cait S
Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just didn't really feel anything about this one. Nothing stood out except for the fact that we must continue to hear how Claudia is "exotic looking" in every single book. My eyes rolled so far back I got a headache. There was nothing especially interesting about this book, it was probably the most forgettable of the series so far.
kb
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-lit, 2018-reads
Loved the idea of a haunted house (at least in fiction and not in real life), but I felt like this could have played out better as Kristy's or Claudia's story.

I loved the BSC growing up, and have decided to re-read (or read for the first time) some of the books in the series. Which of the members are you? :)
Gina
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has always been one of my favorite books in thewseries. Dawn is probably my favorite baby-Sitter. This book does really well as far as talking about bullying, and letty yrimagination run away with you.

Shannon
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like to revisit childhood favorites to relax and I read this today in the bath. Ann M. Martin was such a fixture of my childhood and The Baby-Sitters Club books always conjure such warm memories for me :)
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The New Girl (Sweet Valley Twins, #6)

The Baby-Sitters Club (1 - 10 of 131 books)
  • Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1)
  • Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls (The Baby-sitters Club, #2)
  • The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)
  • Mary Anne Saves the Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #4)
  • Dawn and the Impossible Three (The Baby-Sitters Club, #5)
  • Kristy's Big Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #6)
  • Claudia and Mean Janine (The Baby-Sitters Club, #7)
  • Boy-Crazy Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #8)
  • Logan Likes Mary Anne! (The Baby-Sitters Club, #10)
  • Kristy and the Snobs (The Baby-Sitters Club, #11)