Start by marking “Philomena” as Want to Read:
Philomena

Philomena

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  103 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
When the Sovereign ruled Cor Nova, the shipmasters ruled the sky. But now that the Imperium Titus has taken over, every ship sails on the edge of a knife. Young airman Cyprian Fields isn't one to turn away from danger. During his service as the deckmaster of an old freighter named Philomena, the arrival of mysterious young physician Basil Black and alluring stowaway Veroni ...more
Kindle Edition, First Edition, 368 pages
Published April 9th 2013 by Misericordiae Media

To ask other readers questions about Philomena, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Philomena

Melinda
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Thrilling Adventure for the Young at Heart

If you crossed a modern version of Sabatini's brilliant swashbuckling adventures: Scaramouche or Captain Blood, with the epic fantasy of someone like Brandon Sanderson, you would have Mark R. Guiney's writing in Philomena.

This is a cinematic, swashbuckling, fantasy adventure tale that is as good as many of the modern classics - such as LoTR, WoT and HP - with flying ships, man-eating animals, a self-warring dynasty, a vile villain, vibrant characters a
Lisa
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fabulous first novel. Philomena is filled with action and adventure and is truly an exhilarating ride. At times the fast pace seemed rushed and left me longing to learn more about the characters. However, it builds to a very satisfying ending. Weak beginnings and disappointing endings can ruin a book regardless of how good the in between is. Mark Guiney's exciting ending lived up to its build up. Well done Mr. Guiney.
Megan
May 23, 2013 rated it liked it
[Disclaimer: I have no idea how I got a copy of this book. I may have gotten it from the author and completely forgotten, because I didn't win it in a giveaway, but in all honesty I have no clue. So in the event the author sent it to me for a review, here's a disclaimer that I didn't pay for this book, but my opinion is my own.]

For a first novel this was mostly enjoyable. There were the obvious first-novel problems with plot, pacing, details, etc. I noticed a lot of typos in the PDF, although th
Rebecca
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book through the Goodreads First-reads giveaway.

Wow. What a book. This is a well thought out and gripping adventure novel. While there were a few things in the structure of the novel itself which were a little common to this type of book, the story itself really drew you in and made you root for the crew of the Philomena. The ending was really nice where Basil never ever went back on his beliefs. Human lives were always very important to him. While he wouldn't put up a fuss at t
Peter Mongeau
Philomena is a story quite unlike any other. At times it’s a classic adventure story, at others a brilliantly realised fantasy. It can enthral young readers with its buoyant fun, and still entice adults with its depth and themes. It’s like The Lord of the Ringsby J.R.R. Tolkien, but more innocent; similar to Ready Player Oneby Ernest Cline, but way more Catholic; almost a Pirates of the Caribbean in book-form, but more hopeful and less wet!

Read more: http://catholicfiction.net/book-revie...
Giselle
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Giselle by: Nobody
(It took me a while to get to this book; blame my huge Kindle library.)

At first it seems a pretty straightforward adventure tale, yet there's much more to it. The details are just enough to keep the pace up, but rich enough to make me want to know more about Cor Nova.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but... I can has sequel?
Randal Dovel
Nov 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good adventure story. I really liked the characters; especially Forthright Stanton, Cyprian Fields, Veroninca, and Basil.
Steven
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good twist on the fantasy genre. It was an engaging read, and the action kept the plot moving right along. Definitely a worthwhile read!
Helen
  • Saints Alive! New Stories of Old Saints: Saints of Empire
  • Lessons in the Journey
  • A High and Hidden Place: A Novel
  • The Magdalene Mystery
  • Firedancer (Masters of the Elements, #1)
  • Cures for Hunger: A Memoir
  • A Quest of Undoing (Tales From the Land of Ononokin, #1)
  • The Case of the Haunted Chapel (Sisters of the Last Straw #1)
  • Rapunzel Let Down: A Fairy Tale Retold (A Fairy Tale Retold, #6)
  • The Tale
  • Life II
  • Lord of the World
  • Father Elijah: An Apocalypse
  • Knightfall (The Chronicle of Benjamin Knight #1)
  • The Little World of Don Camillo
Mark Guiney is the author of "Philomena", which was completed when he was twenty-two. He is currently working on more stories that take place in the Sovereign Nation of Cor Nova, as well as other writing projects. He lives in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia.