Start by marking “Doc Maynard: The Man Who Invented Seattle” as Want to Read:
Doc Maynard: The Man Who Invented Seattle

Doc Maynard: The Man Who Invented Seattle

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  89 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Paperback
Published by Nettle Creek Pub. Co. (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Doc Maynard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doc Maynard

Felisa Rosa
Doc Maynard, Seattle's drunkest and most fascinating founder, is one of my personal heroes. He was more interested in creating a cool city than making a shitload of money himself, and he led the first faction of goodtime people in the city, thwarting the wholesome forces of Denny and the other founders. (A battle that still rages in Seattle, I might add.)

I suppose it's appropriate that such a gregarious character should have a gregarious book written about him, but I couldn't help but wish that
Rena Searles
Jan 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love Speidel's sense of humor and the way he tells the truth about his history! The best part of reading this book was the entertainment value - no boring, dusty old tome here. Speidel makes the pioneers of the Pacific Northwest come alive. Just goes to show that we can have heroes that are real and down to earth, rather than starched, stuffy and the image of perfection. Really enjoyed this book, and because I live here found the references to the geography & history of the area very interes ...more
Cole
May 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: history, non-fiction
As biographies go, this one's not bad. Speidel writes more like he were telling you a story around the fireplace, and less like he were teaching you history - which I appreciate greatly. In other words, even if you don't like history much you can still enjoy this book.

On the other hand, the event can sometimes be hard to follow, and certain details get glossed over for the sake of storytelling. I would have liked some of the events to be spelled out a little more.

Doc Maynard is no doubt one of t
Travis Pratt
Feb 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: History Buffs, People from Seattle
I found this book to be really fascinating and informative at the same time. 'Ol Doc Maynard was a very clever and Shrewd character. Long past what was considered the prime of men in his day, he turned what was an uninteresting tract of forrest into what would become one of the most important and iconic cities of the Northwest and the entire West Coast.
I bought this book at the little underground (literally) shop at the end of the underground city tour in Seattle, WA. If you are ever in Seattl
George
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun lesson in history of Washington State and Seattle. Informal style and humorous theme enhance the story about Seattle's founder. A drunk, a doctor, a lawyer, a philanthropist, a politician, a bigamist, and a scoundrel--he turned a hilly, sopping wet timber stand into the city it is today. All in five years or so from 1850-55. If you don't like history, you'll still like this book. The stories relate to real places and even though it was written decades ago, they still exist. I especially li ...more
Elisabeth Elle Sur
This book was okay. One of its greatest strengths is also one of its greatest weaknesses. The writer tries too hard to sound conversational in tone, and as a result, sacrifices (in my opinion) some of his credibility. I get that he didn't want to sound too scholarly, but I wasn't sure when he was pulling information from legitimate sources and when he was using poetic license. I didn't read Sons of Profits first, and now I'm wishing that I had, since there are several references to his first boo ...more
Lisa
Jul 12, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I borrowed this book from a co-worker after traveling to Seattle. Bill Speidel writes in a story-teller fashion to relate the history of the founding of Seattle. It is very interesting, but the latter half of the book lacked a good organization and my mind started to wander when reading. Those who are interested in Seattle and its history will enjoy the book, as well as Speidel's folksy method of history-telling.
May 25, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was turned on to this book after taking the Underground Tour in February. I did enjoy the book, I was born and have lived most of my life in the Pacific Northwest, so I easily related to the content and location descriptions. I did, however, have a bit of a tougher time following the layout of events. In many situations Speidel gets things quite jumbled up and doesn't seem to tie events together in an order that was easy to follow. Good book, lots of interesting historical info though!
Beth
Nov 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of the most entertaining biographies I have ever read. This is the true story of David "Doc" Maynard, whose business savvy and foresight paved the way for the founding of Seattle, WA. Speidel's writing style is a great mix of fact and humor. If you live, or lived, or plan to live, in Seattle....you should read this.
John
Apr 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very detailed and informative history on the history of Seattle looking into the lives of Doc Maynard and Arthur Denny and their plans, plots and scandals of the making of the city. All done with a good twist of humor.
Craig Adamson
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun lesson in history of Washington State and Seattle.
Shawn O'rourke
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is for anyone with a great sense of humor.....read it!
Rick Thomas
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun romp through the history of Seattle.
Tim Taylor
Sep 24, 2009
K.T.
Jan 04, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Bill Speidel, founder of the Underground Tour, is remembered as one of the last of a few genuine old-time Seattle characters.
Although Speidel started the world-famous Underground Tour, spearheaded the campaign to preserve Pioneer Square, wrote a best-selling Seattle history (“Sons of the Profits”), and rediscovered one of Seattle’s early heroes (Doc Maynard), he is remembered most for his wit—an i
More about William Speidel...