Start by marking “Good Omens” as Want to Read:
Good Omens

Good Omens

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  578,905 ratings  ·  29,071 reviews
‘Armageddon only happens once, you know. They don’t let you go around again until you get it right.’

People have been predicting the end of the world almost from its very beginning, so it’s only natural to be sceptical when a new date is set for Judgement Day. But what if, for once, the predictions are right, and the apocalypse really is due to arrive next Saturday, just af
Published May 1st 1990 by Gollancz

To ask other readers questions about Good Omens, please sign up.
Maddie The line is a reference to Ganghis Khan, who raped so many women that 1% of the population is said to be decendended from his gene pool. The rape itse…moreThe line is a reference to Ganghis Khan, who raped so many women that 1% of the population is said to be decendended from his gene pool. The rape itself is not the joke.(less)
Ace Sir, I do not truly believe you are sorry. Nevertheless, as a Christian, approximately qualified (lacking in titles but not learning, and having read …moreSir, I do not truly believe you are sorry. Nevertheless, as a Christian, approximately qualified (lacking in titles but not learning, and having read in full the Revelation of John and the rest of the Bible) I think it may be within my powers to explain to you the shortcomings of the forming of your question, and then, in turn, to answer it.
You call the book "An insult to all Christians"- in some sense you may be right. You took it as an insult, and you profess to be a Christian. Although I will dispute your use of the word "All"- it is an insult, of course, to those who take offense to the work, but I am a Christian, and my siblings are Christians, and my former boss is a Christian, and we none of us were offended. We were in fact, quite tickled by the narrative- it is not ever implied that it ought to be taken seriously, and so I (and my companions) felt quite comfortable laughing at it, and were not in the least offended. Surely a greater insult to all Christians are those who profess to know God and have achieved positions of authority in the flock and yet continue to live in sin and use the power of their position to abuse their flock.
"demons and angels never work together" Is in fact, one of the premises of the book- Crowley and Aziraphale are outliers- they have spent so much time among humans that they have grown to resemble them. The book is not an examination of Angel/Demon relations, but of human relations. The main point is that humans are neither inherently evil or good, and they are generally inclined toward doing what they want.
You mention the rapture, and that it should not be made fun of. I do not think that the rapture (being defined as it is popularly used, as the taking up of all righteous humans into heaven, either just before or shortly after the trials and tribulations of the end times) is in fact featured in Good Omens.
Nevertheless, I shall address your reference to it: The rapture as it is described in popular theology, and as I assume that you use the term, is fictional. It is completely unfounded, scripturally. In the main verse cited to support it ("One will be taken and the other left" Matt 24:40, Luke 17:34-37) It is unclear whether the righteous man or the unrighteous man is taken. And why would Christ leave Earth, his finest creation, only full of unrighteous people? It doesn't make sense. Why would a good God create something, only to destroy it? Why would he not simply have humans live with him in heaven to begin with? But that is beside the point. Yes, God will again walk among humans, but logically speaking, he will most likely do so on earth, hence the title Second Coming, as opposed to calling the end times our first going.
You speak of the Antichrist, you say that he/she/they/it is real. Surely, there is such a thing, but would it not be more reasonable to state that there is not one, but many Antichrists? Is not anyone in whom Christ does not live, an antichrist, being in their actions and their heart, against Christ? We should not, as Christians, be concerned with identifying the worst one, but rather with ensuring that at Christ's second coming, there are as few as possible. Is not our duty as Christians, to sow the seed, not to go out and pull the weeds?
You also say "Satan and God are real, this man is a deceiver. " To call satan as real as God, in contrast to a third who is less real, a deceiver, could be called heresy. God is the most real, Satan is not even real enough to touch him. And if Satan is real, is he not the true Deceiver? Christ himself, calls Satan the prince of lies. To whom do you refer, with this third character? The antichrist? In the previous sentence, you say the antichrist is real, so it must not be him. To the authors of Good Omens? There are two of them you know. And they did not deceive: the book is framed as a satire, the forward explicitly states that it is in no way intended to be taken as fact. They are no more deceivers than any other fiction author. Certainly, their tales are not true, but that fact is public knowledge.
Finally, you ask, "How can anyone read this hogwash?" Well, good sir, most likely the same way they read anything: by looking at the ink on the page, or the pixels on their screen, and converting those markings into words, and those words into a narrative, using their brains which have been trained to do just that. If they are blind, or visually impaired, or simply dislike that method, they might listen to the audiobook, which is as readily available as the print and ebook editions- in which case their task is even easier- they need only convert speech into meaning. it is quite simple. Of course, if the book were literally hogwash, it would become more difficult- I hear it's rather hard to get ink to stick to that.

I pity you, Sir, in the Christian sense. You seem to be an angry person, and I have never had the energy for anger. I have been told, by my friends in psychology, that anger is a secondary emotion- that someone who is angry was hurt, or sad, or something of that ilk before they became angry- that anger is a symptom of a deeper disease(in the Middle English sense- a lack of ease, of contentment). I wonder, what your dis-ease is. What is the root of your discontentment, that you express it by lashing out at something so harmless as the readers/writers of Good Omens? I recommend that you spend some time reading C.S. Lewis's essays on Christian literature. Or if you find them difficult to read(they were originally intended as speeches) you might listen to them. (less)

·  578,905 ratings  ·  29,071 reviews

Start your review of Good Omens
Manny
I somehow ended up reading them both simultaneously. So I couldn't help wondering

What Madam Bovary Might Have Thought Of Good Omens

Three days later, a package arrived; there was no return address, but she immediately recognised Rodolphe's hand. It contained a paperback novel, whose title was Good Omens. Feverishly, she cast herself over it. Her English was poor, but, with the aid of a dictionary, she persevered and soon made great progress.

The more she read, the greater her bewilderment became.
Jeremy
May 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Remember back when funny books were funny? Back before you went to college and found out that Dave Barry and Carl Hiaasen weren't funny after all, but Samuel Beckett and Charles Dickens were hilarious? Remember when the words on the page didn't just make you smile wryly and shake your head in shame for humanity, but actually made you laugh out loud? Well, that's the kind of humor that Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's 1990 release Good Omens brims with, and it is so damn good.

The two British aut
Miranda Reads
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
description

“DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING," said Death. "JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH.”
The Apocalypse is not off to a good start.

Ten years ago, Crowley (a demon) brought the infant Anti-Christ to a group of Satanic Nuns who swapped the Anti-Christ with a human child.

For ten years, Aziraphale (an Angel) and Crowley educate the child on the finer points of good and evil.
“People couldn't become truly holy," he said, "unless they also had the opportunity to be definiti
Derek
Feb 07, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, this book was a huge disappointment for me. I’d heard so many good things about it and had been meaning to read it for years. When I finally started it, I was about 20 pages into it and thought, “Yes! This is going to be one of the most entertaining books I’ve ever read.” It was like reading The Hitchhiker’s Guide for the first time again. It was witty and fast-paced and had so many brilliant things to say about society and religion. And then about halfway through, I realized that I jus ...more
Jayson
(A-) 80% | Very Good
Notes: Not as funny as I'd anticipated, and at times it's a bit too absurd for my tastes, but a good ending and loads of charm.
Jayson
(A-) 80% | Very Good
Notes: A briny deep of Britishness, its canny humor's quirky-quaint, a road to war that plays with lore, and rich as oil paint.
Cecily

Image source imdb.

Don’t be misled by those who class this as fantasy, humour, or just fiction.

This is actually a profound philosophical and theological treatise, exploring good and evil, nature versus nurture, free will, war, pollution, and organised religion. 😉

But it’s cleverly disguised as a madcap caper featuring angels, demons, the M25 motorway, Manchester, raining fish, dolphins, Atlantis, aliens, the Apocalypse, the young Antichrist, Americans, footnotes for Americans, tunnelling Tibetans
Elle (ellexamines)
literally every day I'm thinking about how this book was published in 1990 and in 2019 they finally made a miniseries and Neil Gaiman was like. hey. let's make this even more of a romcom than it already was just for the fuck of it

I keep trying to land on what I think is the objective Best Thing about this ridiculous book that I loved reading so much and I think I’ve landed on this paragraph from a delightful review of the 2019 miniseries:
“Good Omens knows that you can’t look at a screen
Felicia
Mar 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faves, fantasy
One of my all-time favorite books. Up there with Hitchhiker's Guide. ...more
Sean Barrs
I knew from the first page that this book would not work for me.

I slogged through about half of it and gave up. I lost the thread of the plot long before due to my lack of interest in everything this book is. It all felt forced, like the themes and ideas were shoved into the narrative and that the plot had to adapt to fit them in. It was trying too hard to be funny rather than actually being funny. Life is far too short for books I don’t enjoy.

And I could never enjoy this. It felt like it was w
Nataliya
In my personal hierarchy of books, this one comes a close second after Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita. What can I say - like (diabolical) father, like (infernal) son.
"It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people."

In a way, I can view this book as my own personal therapy session¹ - that is, in addition to it being a
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
This book has been recommended to me for years. Everyone has been telling me how funny it is and...

Nope.

Didn't laugh. Didn't smile. Didn't even blow air through my nose. Not once.

I eventually continued it as an audiobook otherwise I wouldn't have finished it.

It felt like a kid story. Maybe I don't get the British humour (I feel like I usually like it tho). But I just couldn't get myself to care.

Meh.
Kevin Kuhn
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
If I were to pick a setting for a comedy, I’m not sure it would be Armageddon. However, in the talented minds of Pratchett and Gaiman, it’s the perfect setting. Another disclosure, I’m a sucker for British humour – give me Monty Python, Douglas Adams, Benny Hill, Red Dwarf, and even Rickey Gervais and I’ll right larf out loude! It’s just the right mix of clever, deadpan, sarcasm, innuendo, and self-deprecation for me.

I wanted to get this read before I watched the new Amazon Prime series. It’s a
JV (semi-hiatus)
"That's how it goes, you think you're on top of the world, and suddenly they spring Armageddon on you. The Great War, the Last Battle. Heaven versus Hell, three rounds, one Fall, no submission. And that'd be that. No more world. That's what the end of the world meant. No more world. Just endless Heaven or, depending who won, endless Hell."
Has the world ended yet? Oh! Right, it hasn't as I'm still babbling away and giggling silly all by myself. Thank heavens I didn't listen to this audiobook
Lyn
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The year is 2114 and in an upstairs apartment in Lower Tadfield, Oxfordshire, England four people – Marge, Ron, Neville and Madam Tracey – sit around a table. They are gathered for a séance.

Madam Tracey: I can feel my spirit guide approaching.

Marge: Ooooo, this is exciting!

Madam Tracey: [In a dark brown voice] How! [Then in her normal voice] Geronimo is that you? [And again in the deep voice] Yes, this’n is me.

Neville: This is just like in that old book by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, Good O
Maggie Stiefvater
Jun 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommended
This novel spoof of THE OMEN is absolutely hilarious. From the four bikers of the apocalypse to adorable hell hounds, it's my absolute favorite offering from Terry Pratchett -- his humor mixed with Neil Gaiman's is absolute win in my opinion.

***wondering why all my reviews are five stars? Because I'm only reviewing my favorite books -- not every book I read. Consider a novel's presence on my Goodreads bookshelf as a hearty endorsement. I can't believe I just said "hearty." It sounds like a stew
Jen
Aug 11, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I actually feel a little bad giving this 2 stars, since I see so many reviews of people who loved this book. Unfortunately, I'm just not one of them.

I usually like Pratchett's work, and there are a few comic touches that I liked here, but overall the unbelievably slow pace of the latter half of this story nearly drove me bonkers. It skips over about 10 years in a few chapters, and then camps out at 6 hours 'til doomsday for hundreds of pages. The dialogue of the children was tiresome, and the o
Anne
Jan 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: jill joyce
I read American Gods not too long ago, and while I liked it, it didn't turn out to be as amazing as I had hoped. So I wondered if maybe I shouldn't go back and check this one out. You know, see if it was really as good as I remembered?
Huh.
It was actually better. Hilarious!
The 5 star rating stands!

description

Good Omens is going to go down as one of my favorites. I wouldn't say that I laughed out loud, but I snorted once or twice and smiled the whole way through. Who would have thought the apocalypse could
Choko
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, demons, humor
*** 4.75 ***

"... “God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players [i.e. everybody], to being involved in an obscure and complex variant of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.” ..."

Loved every second of it! A book about free choice and nature vs nurture, some good old ponderin
Ahmad Sharabiani
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch, Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch (1990) is a World Fantasy Award-nominated novel written as a collaboration between the British authors Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

It is the coming of the End Times: the Apocalypse is near, and Final Judgement will soon descend upon the human species.

This comes as a bit of bad news to the angel Aziraphale (who was the guardian
Kylie D
What on Earth did I just read? I think I'll be shaking my head for a while trying to fathom this one... ...more
Kyle Nakamura
Mar 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who doesn't take their spirituality too seriously
This has got to be one of the funniest satires I've ever read. I suppose the closest comparison I could make is to describe it as a literary sibling to Dogma, but filtered through a distinctly British lense. That description doesn't really do the story justice, but that film definitely hits me in the same place as the book.
The whole premise, and I'm not giving much away here, begins with the accidental "mis-placement" of the infant Antichrist during a complex baby-swapping procedure intended t
J.G. Keely
I read this book before I tried to tackle Pratchett on his own merit, so I may have to retroactively skew this review based upon what I now know. The book is enjoyable, but may suffer from the fact that it represents its two authors at what seems to be their most basic states.

There is no question as to the recognizability of both Gaiman's and Pratchett's respective styles here, but neither seems to add anything to the other. One of Gaiman's weaknesses is surely his general lack of humor. Anythin
Richard Derus
2019 UPDATE The miniseries on Amazon Prime gets 4.5 out of five, and a strong encouragement to go watch it. I mean, what is all this kerfuffle about the ending?! Episode 6 ended perfectly, with the loveliest touch of smarm and some real guffaws...wise choices indeed. The series misses on one count, we could do with more of the Them, but really now! Child labor laws and all that. Episode 3's epic cold open is, by itself, worth subscribing to Prime for. Episode 4's delight is Gabriel's red red rob ...more
Lisa
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: neil-gaiman
In the beginning, there were a few words, and the words were with Neil Gaiman, and he saw that they were good words, so he passed them on to Terry Pratchett, so that he could make light of them. And it was morning (and Neil slept and Terry wrote) and it was night (and Terry slept and Neil wrote) - the first chapter.

Thus (or similarly, for the book in the book is only rarely cited directly!) spoke Agnes Nutter, the nice and very accurate prophetess.

She would also have said (if she had been bles
C.G. Drews
I won't lie: I read this because it has a) Crowley in it, and b) it's an adult book and I was adulting. (That was exhausting though. Please, lead me back to the children's aisle. That's where I belong.) I totally enjoyed it though because it's HILARIOUS. Yeah maybe the story is a bit waffly in places and there are some useless tangents it runs off on, but it is downright funny. Why? Oh, oh keep calm. I'll show you.

First of all, it is SO like the Supernatural TV series. What can I say? I'm a
Trish
Mar 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third time I've read this book. Once I read this edition, once I listened to the BBC radio dramatisation and now I alternately listened to the audiobook and read the hardcover.
This, by the way, is my edition of the print book, the old Gollancz edition and I love the quirky design very much.

What you see beneath the book are the two badge pins I couldn't resist buying a while ago.

The reason for the re-read is that Amazon Prime is gonna show the adaptation in 2019 (no exact date is give
Althea | themoonwholistens ☾
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody looking for humor and friendship between an angel and a devil
Recommended to Althea | themoonwholistens ☾ by: Jasey
// This is my book for the "Recommend a Book" challenge//

”It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally evil, but by people being fundamentally people.”

FORMAT READ: Paperback & Audiobook (Recommended)
SIMILAR VIBES: Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue
READ FOR: themes and devils/angels/hell/heaven/world-ending humor
READING LEVEL: Level 4-5 out of 5

MY BLOG
SUP
Bradley
Re-read 12/21/18:

Winter Solstice! Well, certain reads and re-reads lend themselves well to anniversaries and horsemen. :) And YES I was forced to re-read this because I was told I must be crazy to only give this a three-star rating and LOOK! It's about the be on the tele! So I agreed to give it another shot.

I'm adding a half star.

Why only that? Because all the things I love most about Pratchett, in general, is done better in his Discworld books. Because Gaiman's iconoclastic use of mythology an
emma
hard to say which i could use more at the moment: anything written by neil gaiman, or a good omen.

i'm going with both!

• American Gods (American Gods, #1)
  • Neverwhere (London Below, #1)
  • Stardust
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1)
  • The Quite Nice and Fairly Accurate Good Omens Script Book
  • The Ocean at the End of the Lane
  • The Graveyard Book
  • Norse Mythology
  • Anansi Boys
  • The Princess Bride
  • The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1)
  • The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)
  • Me Talk Pretty One Day
  • Coraline
  • The Hobbit, or There and Back Again
  • Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere
  • Dune (Dune, #1)
  • Good Omens: The BBC Radio 4 dramatisation

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, i

Articles featuring this book

A comforting balm. A much-needed diversion. Time spent with an old friend. Childhood memories and annual traditions. We asked the...
“DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, said Death. JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH.” 3118 likes
“God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players [i.e. everybody], to being involved in an obscure and complex variant of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.” 2446 likes