Start by marking “Dr. Seuss's ABC: An Amazing Alphabet Book!” as Want to Read:
Dr. Seuss's ABC: An Amazing Alphabet Book!

Dr. Seuss's ABC: An Amazing Alphabet Book!

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  43,361 ratings  ·  1,521 reviews
From Aunt Annie's Alligator to Zizzer-Zazzer-Zuzz, this sturdy board book version of 'Dr. Seuss's ABC' is now available in a bigger trim size. With Dr. Seuss as your guide, learning the alphabet is as fun and as funny as the feather on a Fiffer-feffer-feff! ...more
Board Book, Bright and Early Board Book, 24 pages
Published January 7th 2014 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Dr. Seuss's ABC, please sign up.
Daniel Walton I f You Do. Like What Begins With D? Will You Add New Scenes?
Sean Harding Opening the front cover always works or me, unless hey you could be rebellious open the back cover and read it backwards.

·  43,361 ratings  ·  1,521 reviews

Start your review of Dr. Seuss's ABC: An Amazing Alphabet Book!
Archit
Jul 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks
Innovative words. Amazing alliterations. Made-up names.

This is Dr. Seuss for you.

Well done, doctor. :D
Ahmad Sharabiani
Dr. Seuss's ABC: An Amazing Alphabet Book!, Dr. Seuss

Dr. Seuss's ABC is a 1963 children's A to Z alphabetical picture book by Dr. Seuss (Theodor Seuss Geisel). It contains several short poems about a variety of characters, and is designed to introduce basic alphabet book concepts to children.

BIG B,
little b,
what begins with B?

Barber
bumblebee.
seak
Feb 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only Dr. Seuss has the audacity to make up names in a book that teaches kids the alphabet.

Zizzer-zazzer-zuzz? Really?

Can you tell I've been reading lots of these books lately with my 18 month old?
Wren (fablesandwren)
My best friend just got like eight Dr. Seuss books and I am not sorry about flooding your feed today and tomorrow with me reading them and telling you how amazing they are.

Because, I mean, it's Dr. Seuss. Can it be anything less?

I would read this to my kids, your kids, your neighbor's kids, the kid down the block, the kid of my worst enemy and probably just all kids. Alphabets can be fun.
Dianna
Dec 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think that this is the most amazing alphabet book ever, word-wise. (Animalia wins for pictures, I think.)

We've been collecting Dr. Seuss books for quite some time, because we tend to like them. I never read this book as a child, and I'm almost glad, because I get to be so astounded now as an adult.

First of all, there's great meter. Second, there's tons of alliteration. Third, the alliteration is not only at the beginnings of words, but inside them, too:

"Barber

bumblebee.

...
Gerry
Apr 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, what can I say? I indulged myself with a little of Dr Seuss and taught myself my A B C - Z all over again. It was fun, the illustrations are fun, the book is fun and is a must for children of all ages!

I am now reviewing a different edition that goes into far more detail than the one reviewed above. It still runs through the gamut of the alphabet, it is still fun, the illustrations are as zany as Dr Seuss can be and it is still a must for children of all ages. Believe it or not, I bought it
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
We have quite a few ABC books in the house now, but I don't think any of them are quite as fun to read as this one - certainly not with the younger readers anyway. Seuss doesn't go for the usual pattern of picking one thing for each letter; no, he has to include silly rhymes and even some made-up words too, paired with his trademark slightly-unrealistic illustrations. A sample:

BIG F,
little f
what begins with F?

Four fluffy feathers
Erik Graff
Jan 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids just learning to read
Recommended to Erik by: Jack Gregory
Shelves: art
His parents being concerned about how much time he was spending watching a computer video game on YouTube, first-grader Jack was told to stop and I thereupon invited him to pick out a book to read instead. He selected this one without complaint and the two of us proceeded to study it, page by page, both in terms of its words, but also in terms of their reference to the art work. To make it more participatory, I asked Jack to give a word starting with the letter-to-come before proceeding to see w ...more
Stephanie Skolmoski
"Big A little a what begins with A?" And it begins -- the sound of a little voice answering the question - "Aunt Annie's Alligator A a A." This is a favorite read in the car - so much so that my grand kids have it memorized!

Dr. Seuss has a magical way of rhyming and creating rhythm that appeal to young and old. You begin reading about Aunt Annie's alligator and you're off into that delightful rhythm that keeps you and the children hooked to the very end with the Zizzer-Zazzer-Zuzz. Seuss never d
Neda
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll definitely read this book to my child :) ...more
Michael Finocchiaro
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: american-20th-c, kids
I insist on this one at least once every two weeks to get the alphabet front and center for my son. I think his favorite is Rosie’s Red Rhinoceros but then the Zizzer-Zazzer-Zuzz is also pretty neat
Nancy
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book for some one who is just learning to read. I look forward to reading more of this author's work. ...more
Stacy
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
My grand daughter read this one to me. The majority of words easy for her to handle.
Sophia Ismaa
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this with my 9yo cousin and it was a fun activity to get her to think about different words that begin with different letters, especially enjoyed thinking of animals beginning with whichever letter we were on. This is really useful and a super fun activity to do with your children!
Sandra BASIC
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love Dr. Seuss, great illustrations!
Oceana
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Read to my grade 1’s :)
Les Wilson
Dr Seuss is still my favourite children’s author. Enjoyed our family read time again tonight.
Jason
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-cass
Good Dr Seuss fun for learning the alphabet and also for learning what made up words begin with which letter. Dr Seuss has managed the make the alphabet fun... at long last. Best one in the book is Y.

"A Yawning Yellow Yak. Young Yolanda Yorgenson is Yelling on his back"

Benjamin Dover
Jun 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book helped me a lot!!!!! without this book i would be lost...
Emily Briano
Loved reading this one to Catherine. We will be rereading this one often.
Dane Cobain
Aug 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is another one of Seuss’ books that’s specifically designed for younger readers who are just getting started. It’d be a lot of fun to read to a kid I guess, and I quite liked the rhyming schemes. All in all, it’s not bad.

Michelle (Sherbet Lemon)
Lots of fun alliterations in this book! I think this would be great for kids learning how to read beyond the bare basics. (or fun to read to kids learning how to read)
Bronwyn
I remember this from when I was young. It’s still just as weird... lol

Read for the first time in a year:
January 26, 2021
Ernesto Alvarado
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great ilustrations. The rhymes are very simple but they work for children.
Children must read Dr. Seuss as much as possible.
Sharadha Jayaraman
The blurb gives it away - a must-have for every young child’s library. If the English alphabet was taught to me as a young kid like this, then learning it would've been easier and so much more fun! Also a handy resource for primary schoolteachers. ...more
Andrew
Feb 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Reading every single Seuss book because he's great :p ...more
Lottie Defriend
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy books by Dr. Seuss due to their uniqueness.

Likes:
I like the illustrations as they are very colourful and help bring the words to life, especially the descriptions given the author has created and are hard to picture in your mind, for example, a 'fiffer-feffer-feff'.
The big text makes it easy for children to use, additionally, this helps when using the book for shared reading as children more likely to be able to read the text.
The challenge of trying to read the pages as quickly as
Ashley Oh
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Picture Books
Awards: none
Audience: 3-5 years
Summary: Goes through every letter in the alphabet using different words and rhythms.
-The book fits into the specific category because it goes through every letter of the alphabet, allowing children to be familiar with the sounds and shapes of the alphabet.
-The bright colors and shapes used in this story helps to capture children's’ attention, which allows them to learn more than just a boring, normal alphabet book.
-This book would be good in a
Mortisha Cassavetes
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
Such a cute book by the creative author Dr. Seuss. His books are loved by all the kids I know because of their unique flair for quirkiness and fun. This book is just another example of his creativity. I highly recommend these to all beginning readers and their parents.
YYYYY 1 1 Mar 28, 2018 04:39AM

• Put Me in the Zoo
  • Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
  • Clifford the Big Red Dog
  • Llama Llama Red Pajama
  • Inside, Outside, Upside Down (Berenstain Bears)
  • The Tooth Book
  • Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
  • Are You My Mother?