Start by marking “Ex-Communication (Ex-Heroes, #3)” as Want to Read:
Ex-Communication (Ex-Heroes, #3)

Ex-Communication

(Ex-Heroes #3)

All of us try to cheat death.  I was just better prepared to do it than most folks.

In the years since the wave of living death swept the globe, St George and his fellow heroes havent just kept Los Angeles last humans alivetheyve created a real community, a bustling town thats spreading beyond its original walls and swelling with new refugees.

But now one of the heroes,
Published July 9th 2013 by Broadway Books

To ask other readers questions about Ex-Communication, please sign up.

Start your review of Ex-Communication (Ex-Heroes, #3)
Mihir
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Full review over at Fantasy Book Critic

ANALYSIS: Ex-Communication is a book that I have been waiting to read for nearly 2 years. It was the third and supposedly the end of the Ex series but recent revelations by the author have clarified that this is not the case. The fourth book will be out early next year and remains a thing for the future. With Ex-Communication, I wanted to see where the author would take the story in regards to the plot arcs of the first two.

As the story begins, the
David
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sexy Batman clones, firebreathing superheroes, corpse girls, dudes who make deals with devils
I started reading the Ex-Heroes series because I have a geeky affection for zombies and superheroes, but Peter Clines is growing on me. The second book was a little better than the first, and the third book, while more of the same story-wise, continues to improve. It's still just a comic book in novel form, but like any ongoing series, if you stick with it you start to get attached to the characters and conversant with the continuity.

The heroes guarding the walled enclave of Los Angeles,
Ash Wednesday
"We're not safe. This isn't remotely safe anymore. This is like being out in the middle of the ocean, a thousand miles from anything, on a six-dollar pool raft with a great white shark circling you. Except the raft has a hole in it and the shark's armor-plated, on meth, and has a laser cannon mounted on its skull. That's about how 'safe' we are."

3.5 STARS

But I'm rounding it up to 4 because Peter Clines just makes me giddy with all his pop culture references. I get you Mr. Clines! I get you!

Robin (Bridge Four)
You might think that Superheroes vs. Zombies would get old. Not if Peter Clines is doing the writing. Instead he just starts to pile on other things to combat with. In Ex-heroes it was the rival gang, in Ex-Patriots it was the military, in Ex-communication it is the supernatural and our Heroes might be over their heads.

St. George threw himself at it. He thought of every Conan and Beastmaster movie hed watched as a teenager and brought the sword down with a roar.

My favorite chapter in Ex-Heroes
C.T. Phipps

4/5

EX-COMMUNICATION is the third volume of the Ex-Heroes series, chronicling our intrepid band of superheroes as they struggle to rebuild civilization one brick at a time. I enjoyed the first story for its originality, the second for what it brought to the series, and the third volume doesn't disappoint. Much. I enjoyed Ex-Communication but it isn't quite as enjoyable as the previous two. The stakes, despite being as high as ever, don't seem to matter as
Karissa
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the third book in the Ex-Heroes series by Peter Clines. While nothing incredibly new happens in this book, it was still a fun read about the superheroes we love and know taking on new challenges and protecting humanity in a zombie infested world. There is a fourth book scheduled for this series called Ex Purgatory and its scheduled to release in January 2014.

I listened to this on audiobook and it was really well done. There are two narrators again, one for the male and one for the female
David(LA,CA)
Fixes some issues I had with the previous books in the series, but has its own problems to deal with.

Flashbacks are still present, but are handled better. It feels like there are less of them over all. They're all connected to characters that are important to the story. None of them involve getting into the head of a character with no redeeming value. And the only one that is used to set up a cliffhanger from a previous chapter helps to explain a plot twist.

The plot twists were hidden better.
Serena
Dec 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've really enjoyed how the voices were done in this and the previous Audiobook, where everyone's "words" were actually spoken by different voice actors.

Zzap's has been hiding something since the last novel and no one knows quite what to -or not to - believe...That aside in this novel - the title of Ex-Communication and the Catholic Excommunication really almost gives away too much. In this book religion's demons and sorcerers spirits and exes that speak and aren't Legion - but real people
Horror DNA
Things are finally starting to get to a bit of normalcy for the heroes of Los Angeles. No longer stuck within the boundaries of the Mount, the community has grown much larger thanks to the completion of the Big Wall, which surrounds several blocks of the city. This allows the survivors to live their lives without the worry of a sudden zombie attack. Of course, that still happens occasionally due to the possessing power of Legion, the closest thing the group has to a super villain. This is where ...more
John
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it
If you would tell me that I would enjoy a series of books about superheros fighting zombies, I would not believe you. But I do. Clines has just the right balance where the book is not trying to take itself seriously, but also follows a familiar formula. And the characters are enjoyable.
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Cross-posted to The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.blogspot.com/201...

Superheroes, zombies, and Hollywood -- you really can't go wrong with this combination. This third book in the Ex-Heroes series is just as fun and entertaining as the first two. A big thank you goes to LibraryThing and their Early Reviewers program, which is where I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Since this is a sequel, be aware that there may be possible spoilers here for the previous books
Kirstie
Why settle for one resurrection when you could have two? Both are done in extremely different ways (view spoiler) and both have varying outcomes

I'm glad I stuck around after the disappointment of book two. There were things I needed to know about various characters (featured only in/introduced in the second book) to enjoy the feels of this one) (view spoiler)
Tasha Robinson
For me, this was easily the most enjoyable of the Ex- books. Most of the world-building and character-establishing is done by this point, so apart from one significant new character introduced here, the book is free to charge straight ahead into a great deal of satisfying action, seemingly resolving at least one dangling plot thread from the first book, and bringing in several more organically. These remain pretty conceptually simple superhero-comic-book novels, packed with heroes and villains ...more
Marcus
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best of the series so far!

I thought the first book was just okay and felt a little let down by the second. I don't know what it was about this one though...couldn't put it down. Maybe it was the fact that I'd grown more used to the author's writing style or the characters had finally grown on me, I had a hard time putting this book down, especially at the end.

If you're reading this review you probably already know this is the 3rd in a series involving superheroes & a zompocalypse. Nuff
Bad Cookie
May 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
I didn't like this, which surprised me because I was so sure I would enjoy it as much as Ex-Patriots. What didn't I like? Max, The Corpse Girl (I don't dislike the character so much as I don't see the necessity for another character with a special trait-unless you're killing them off by the end of the book), and the temporary truce with Legion. I especially got bored when Max would drone on. Also, I could do without the romance. I know there wasn't much, but I just don't care for Stealth's ...more
Shannon Luchies
Super heroes, zombies and now John Constantine. Or the Demon, early DC version.

Basically the demon summoning 'ex' from the first book comes back, and we learn his origins. Big whoop. This was probably the most predictable of the 'Ex' books so far, with maybe ONE surprising bit.

That surprise: Do not leave someone with regeneration powers alone unsupervised for a extended period of time. It doesn't end well.

So yeah, very 'meh' book. Even the introducing of a new character didn't help. And that
Chip
Not as good as the first two. More (even more) simplistic, and 99% focused on the superheroes. The new character Madelyn rang VERY untrue to me (eg her ready embrace of a "hero name" that frankly should have been horrifying to her), and the issues that should have resulted from her defective memory were completely overlooked/ignored (presumably in favor of simplicity and making her a functional (action) character). Basically, a superficial comicbook in novel form, without much of the added ...more
*Suzy (ereaderuser)*
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
Well I'm not sure it has ever taken this long for me to finish a book! That is in no way a reflection of how much I enjoyed it, just that I was in the middle of packing and moving. The book was pretty much incredible, as all his books are. And lucky for everyone that there will be at least one and possibly two more books in the series.

I also feel this author should get extra kudos for mixing zombies and superheroes together. Can you get more fun than that? I don't think so!
Dustin
This is a pretty good superhero story and personally I think it's better than the previous book in the series. It adds a new character who I liked, it fully embraces the comic book nature of the setting, and I think most of the character interactions were pretty well done.
Paul Sparks
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Is this book life changing? Probably not. But I'm hard pressed to give it anything less than 5 stars. It's just really damn good and impossible to put down.
Gregory D.
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Volume Three of this series continue to create a mash-up story that is better than it has any right to be, and here we have a number of story lines brought to their conclusion, creating the end of a story arc, though not the end to the story. The new character "Corpse Girl" is extremely fun -- at first seeming like a take on the Exes that Clines introduced in his short fiction, and then proving to be something else entirely. Her backstory chapters is one of the best Clines has done. Captain ...more
Stephanie Moore
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Koen Wellens
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I liked Ex-Heroes because there was a lot going on. There were background stories about the zombocalypse and there was a fun plot for the present superheroes. Then there was Ex-Patriots which focused a lot more on the present timeline. Both stories were about superheroes fighting off a threat, at the same time explaining most of the events.

And then there is Ex-Communication. The flashbacks have an Ex-Heroes feel while the characters show the importance of the second book as well. The third
Jeff Jellets
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, superheroes

Nobody comes back. You know that.

Back with a mighty boom, the third book of Peter Clines Ex-Heroes series is more rock-solid brilliance. From heroes to villains to normal zombie-bashing civilians, the cast of characters new and old are an amazing group of friends and nemeses pitted against a high-stakes plot with plenty of twists, turns, world-shattering consequences, and cover-to-cover entertainment. Quite simply, this series is all that I want from a series of books: a wonderfully
Ted P
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We're back for another go around in this life-or-undeath battle between Superheroes and Zombies.

This is the third book in the series and by now we've come to know the characters and this means that we care about them. I found myself holding my breath about the fate of all the characters in the climax. This is in contrast to the past book where I would have accepted their deaths as part of the story. B

Peter Clines is super-comfortable with his world and the book, set in just the one location
Ryne
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So good. I was actually annoyed with myself that I took so long to read this one after book 2. There were so many small characters and call backs that Clines is able to refresh in this novel, but it'd have been fun to remember them myself. One of my favorite parts of superhero team up adventures are when the characters get to sit down and be people with each other. They get to briefly put the "friends" in super friends. While its brief in this story, I love those small character moments between ...more
Julia
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Ive read one or two of the books in this series, out of order. (Looking here, it looks like I've only read the book after this one, but I also bought #1 in the series, to read at some point.) Maybe I would have liked this novel much more if I remembered who the superheroes were who were defending one small community in Los Angeles after a zombie hoard. The characters have the zombies, whom they call exes down, its the villains, who are the real threat.

Heres one describing the big bad. Its the
Rob
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best one yet! This story was a bit of a break from the first two in the series where there was less focus on the zombies and the introduction of a mystical based villain. Plus, the introduction of a new hero with an interesting was a great addition to the team.

My only two gripes were the missing heroes from the group, especially the newest one introduced in the previous book. They were briefly mentioned, they weren't around to be part of the action. The other concern centered around the
Jonathan Bonde
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Back to Hollywood for the struggling super heroes, bolstered by the surviving forces from Project Krypton (love the name of that project!) This time to face off against an old villain with new and terrifying powers. Until someone with even more terrifying powers threatens all of them. Can Legion and the protectors of the Mount actually work together for their own mutual survival? The odds are against it, but anything is possible in a world where men can fly, turn into pure energy of stars, and ...more
Kruunch
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third book in the Ex-Heroes series revolves around the coming of Currax Murrain, the alter-ego of Maxwell Hale.

This book was fairly more predictable without the neat twist that Ex-Patriots had and the ending didn't satisfy (or make a lot of sense to) me and in that sense makes the book closer to 3.5 stars.

However the character development and the "under-the-hood" look at some of the motivations (both past and previous) of the antagonists (Legion, Hale and Murrain) made this book for me.

• Confessions of a D-List Supervillain (D-List Supervillain, #1)
  • Secrets of a D-List Supervillain (D-List Supervillain, #2)
  • Meta (Meta, #1)
  • Wearing the Cape: A Superhero Story
  • Omega Squad (Omega Metahumans, #1)
  • Incarnation (Kid Sensation, #7)
  • Super Powereds: Year 3 (Super Powereds, #3)
  • Rise of a D-List Supervillain (D-List Supervillain, #3)
  • The Rise of Renegade X (Renegade X, #1)
  • The Trials of Renegade X (Renegade X, #2)
  • Super Powereds: Year 2 (Super Powereds, #2)
  • Replication (Kid Sensation, #6)
  • Origins of a D-List Supervillain (D-List Supervillain, #0.5)
  • Young Sentinels (Wearing the Cape, #3)
  • Revelation (Kid Sensation, #4)
  • Coronation (Kid Sensation, #5)
  • Mutation (Kid Sensation, #2)
  • Infiltration (Kid Sensation, #3)
Peter Clines is the author of the genre-blending -14- and the Ex-Heroes series.

He grew up in the Stephen King fallout zone of Maine and--inspired by comic books, Star Wars, and Saturday morning cartoons--started writing at the age of eight with his first epic novel, Lizard Men From The Center of The Earth(unreleased).

He made his first writing sale at age seventeen to a local newspaper, and

Ex-Heroes (5 books)
  • Ex-Heroes (Ex-Heroes, #1)
  • Ex-Patriots (Ex-Heroes, #2)
  • Ex-Purgatory (Ex-Heroes, #4)
  • Ex-Isle (Ex-Heroes, #5)