Start by marking “The Great American Slow Cooker Book: 500 Easy Recipes for Every Day and Every Size Machine” as Want to Read:

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The ultimate in slow-cooker books--with 500 recipes, each adapted for three sizes of appliance. From breakfast to soups, mains to grains, vegetables to desserts, this guide is the only book you'll ever need to master your slow cooker or crockpot.

Millions of people are turning to slow cookers for their weeknight meals yet often can't find recipes that match their exact mach
Published January 7th 2014 by Clarkson Potter (first published December 19th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Great American Slow Cooker Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great American Slow Cooker Book

Michele
I received this cookbook free in order to review from Blogging for Books. Normally, I don't give fully illustrated cookbooks a second glance. There is nothing better as advertisement than a beautiful, glossy photo of the finished dish - except maybe the dish itself. But this cookbook is well-worth picking up and taking home. The scope of recipes is impressive, encompassing breakfast through dessert and for all tasts. The layout is well thought out and the hints through are invaluable. The author ...more
Abi Riley
What's a girl to do when everyone groans each time she pulls out the trusty slow cooker? Find a cook book with 500 new recipes!
I love using a slow cooker, and I'll be the first to admit, I make the same few things all the time. They're yummy, but I am looking for something new to eat. And whoa, this book is chock-full of new stuff. I'm sure, after trying a few; my go-to recipe list will grow with this great cook book. Thus, nixing the groans emitting from the people I feed.

Here are a few thin
Spencer Riley
For more reviews by Spencer, visit: http://onthesamepagebookreviews.blogs...

First of all, I was surprised on the thickness of this cookbook. I’ve ordered other crock-pot cookbooks that were magazine style, or contained only a handful of recipes. This book has 512 pages and the ‘Great American’ red-white-and-blue appearance looks attractive on my kitchen shelf.

Unlike many other cookbooks I own, I actually enjoyed reading the introduction. It contains a lot of interesting and valuable information,
Ionia
This book is really good for the cook who doesn't have a tremendous amount of time to prepare meals big enough for an entire family. I liked that there were measurements for various sized slow cookers, so you don't have to guess how much of something you will need to make an adjustment.

There are a lot of recipes in this book (500 to be exact) and many of them do not require special ingredients that most people won't have on hand. The recipes are not time consuming and are easy enough that even
Kimberly
In a typical kitchen, you are probably going to find a coffee make, a toaster, and my favorite kitchen appliance the crock pot. Who doesn't love throwing your ingredients in and letting the slow cooker do everything else. That's where this book comes in. The Great American Slow Cooker Book is a really good companion for anyone who loves using their crock pot.

The biggest plus for this cookbook is that it has something for everybody. Whether you've got a tiny crock pot or a giant one. You'll find
Sue
The Great American Slow Cooker Book: 500 easy recipes for every day and every size machine is the perfect cookbook for the adventuresome cook who may think slow cookers are old school and boring. Why do I say that? Too often most of us think of the slow cooker are the appliance necessary to keep items warm at pot lucks or it's what we grab when we plan to smother a hunk of meat with a can of soup, some onions, and if we're adventuresome some mushrooms. None of that appeals to those who are into ...more
Kristin
I am a HUGE slow cooker fan. I use my slow cookers/crockpots two-three times a week. I use them for breakfast, lunches, suppers, beans; I've made soups, stews, lasagna, roast pork/turkey/chicken, and oatmeal. The only thing I haven't done with my slow cooker is dye my own yarn, but apparently you can do that as well with a bit of koolaid.

But I digress, I first saw a recommendation for this cook book in the Minneapolis Star Tribune: Dinner in the Slow Cooker (Jan 15, 2014). It was accompanied by
Ellen Bell
I love cooking in my slow cooker, and when I saw this book in the New Books section at my library, I promptly snatched it up. Unfortunately, the four recipes I made from this cookbook were less than stellar. The best was only mildly so-so and the worst was practically inedible.

The first recipe we tried was Overnight Oatmeal (p. 21). It had the potential to be great, given that it's made with steel cut oats, which are my family's favorite. Unfortunately, the result was a slow cooker ceramic inser
Sara
I got this from the library (special request that they bought, YAY!) and I'm in love already. It is in my amazon cart and will be flying to my house in Ohio soon :).

I'm a giant slow cooker fanatic. At least one meal a week comes from there, and I'm always on the lookout for more recipes that I can adapt for the device that don't rely on processed foods. The ones in this book look really terrific, and even the reluctant-to-accept-the-crock-pot SO is really excited about it!

The recipes are tailore
Marina
I admit I haven't tried a ton of the recipes yet but the main reason I think this book is an excellent example of slow cooker cookbook is the fact that it gives recipes that to fit three different sizes of slow cooker. Most books have recipes formulated to fit the 6 qt size and it's really hard to readjust the ingredients to figure out how to fit it into a smaller one. Or if you make the recipe for the bigger size and there's only two or three people you have a TON of leftovers (which no matter ...more
Karen
Found this in my library on the "new books" shelf. It was a turkey roast with butternut squash and dried fruit. Very easy and quick to put together. Because I have had such bad luck with cooking poultry in the slow cooker - usually comes out VERY overdone and dried out, I cooked this for one half hour less and it came out great!!!!! Looking forward to trying out more recipes. This is why I only gave it four stars - haven't tried enough recipes to give it a fair rating.
Nothing radical, but worth checking out if you like to use your slow cooker. I liked that you could vary the size of the recipe (I have a 6 1/2 quart cooker, so I could vary the size a bit). Good selection of main dish meals, though the chapter on fish was almost too big. And I actually understand why they couldn't include nutritional information.
Elizabeth
from the library

look at pages 110-111 for making stock

TOC
1. Breakfast. Oatmeals and porridges -- Pancakes, breakfast puddings, and coffee cakes -- Eggs, breakfast casseroles, and hash -- Applesauce and compotes --
2. Soups. Vegetable, bean and grain soups -- Meat and seafood soups -- Stocks --
3. Meat. Beef -- Pork -- Lamb -- Veal and rabbit --
4. Poultry. Chicken -- Turkey -- Game hens, duck, and capon --
5. Fish & shellfish. Fish -- Shellfish, mollusks, and the rest --
6. Vegetables &
Christiana
I dug that this one had different amounts depending on what size crock you had and rated how much effort each recipe required. I never got to any recipes, but I have my eye on pork and beans and crock pot ribs for the future.
Heydi Smith
Love this slow cooker book. I love the variety of recipes and that each recipe has a portion size perfect for the meal I want to make.
Melissa
Apparently I'm not an adventurous eater. I just don't think about cooking salmon or lamb in my crockpot...too many of these recipes required complicated ingredients or "prep" work, which is not what I was looking for. Found: 1 recipe to try
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Laura Haubert
Laura Haubert marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Stacie
Stacie marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Ultimate Ice Cream Book: Over 500 Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, Drinks, And More Real Food Has Curves: How to Get Off Processed Food, Lose Weight, and Love What You Eat Knits Men Want Lobsters Scream When You Boil Them: And 100 Other Myths About Food and Cooking . . . Plus 25 Recipes to Get It Right Every Time Is It Still Cheating if I Don't Get Caught?